OE REMOVES UNSAFE ATTACHMENTS

OE removes attachments in incoming e-mails as being 'unsafe'.
The attachments are safe and are generally photo jpegs.
Is this smething to do with the firewall?
Thanks
Paul
5 answers Last reply
More about removes unsafe attachments

    "Paul B. Carnall" <p2c@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > OE removes attachments in incoming e-mails as being 'unsafe'.
    > The attachments are safe and are generally photo jpegs.
    > Is this smething to do with the firewall?
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    In OE - Tools-Options-Security for the 120,000th time.......

    Hi Paul

    Try this:

    With OE open, go to Tools>Options>Security and uncheck 'Do not allow
    attachments to be saved...'. If you do opt for this setting, please virus
    check all attachments before opening them.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Paul B. Carnall" <p2c@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > OE removes attachments in incoming e-mails as being 'unsafe'.
    > The attachments are safe and are generally photo jpegs.
    > Is this smething to do with the firewall?
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Paul,
    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express......
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

    OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387
    See "Confirm open after download" section

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Paul B. Carnall wrote:
    > OE removes attachments in incoming e-mails as being 'unsafe'.
    > The attachments are safe and are generally photo jpegs.
    > Is this smething to do with the firewall?
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
    protect the recipient. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment
    actually contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of
    those file types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook
    Express, Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow
    attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"
    option, assuming he trusts the source, of course. The wiser course of
    action, however,
    would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
    articles below:

    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

    Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

    OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Paul B. Carnall wrote:
    > OE removes attachments in incoming e-mails as being 'unsafe'.
    > The attachments are safe and are generally photo jpegs.
    > Is this smething to do with the firewall?

    This is due to misunderstanding of how to perform regular updates and/or
    misunderstanding on how to use certain applications/web searches to locate
    the answer.

    Read more about this (and how long it has been around) here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

    It also explains ways to turn off the security feature.

    You can either turn off this protection
    (not recommended without OTHER protection.):

    In Outlook Express, under Tools->Options go to the Security tab and take the
    checkmark out of the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that
    could potentially be a virus" box.

    Or work around it
    (more difficult, but safer, allows you to be more careful about what you
    open.):

    Open an email containing the attachments that Outlook Express is blocking
    access to. The 'OE removed access...' message will be shown as before.
    Click the 'Forward' button (as if you are going to forward the email to
    another person)

    A new message window should open, with the message ready for forwarding.
    This is where you would normally enter some new email addresses to which you
    would wish to forward the message. (We are not actually going to forward it)

    What it also does, at least in cases I have seen, is to show the
    attachments, between the 'Subject' line and the 'Message area'.
    You should be able to double-click on an attachment and it will give you
    the option of opening it, or saving it.

    There should also be a check box which says something like: 'Always ask
    before opening this type of file'. The checkbox will be ticked.

    Do the following: Select 'Open it' and also
    (THIS BIT IS THE IMPORTANT STEP!) Un-tick the 'Always ask...' checkbox.
    The attached document should now open.

    And finally, if the above all worked, and you performed the steps for
    opening the attachment, you should now find that if you close and
    re-open the email that was causing problems before, you should now be
    able to see the attachments!

    (I believe that it is the "Always ask" setting that OE uses to determine
    whether a particular attachment type should be treated as 'harmful')

    It is NOT recommended to use the above steps for accessing executable
    attachments, and ALWAYS make sure you have an up-to-date virus checker!

    Good Luck!

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Photo Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP