system lock-ups (win98se)

I was burning a cd-r when the system locked-up. I ran a FULL scan disk (with
surface scan) and then attempted to defrag the disk, but it locked up at
about 75%. The drive (1.5G) was quite full so I deleted a number of files
and zipped a bunch more. Then, when I attempted to move the zipped files to
the "D" drive, it locked up again. Now, I discoved, while attempting to
defrag the disk, that the detail screen shows the write process progressing
from left to right and top to bottom up to a point and then at about 75%
files are written from the bottom up and leaving gaps. Is this normal? The
system seems to lock up shortly there after. Thanks!

compaq deskpro 2000 pent166

I don't about bottom-up writing. I think, maybe, at a point, though,
Defrag may retrieve stuff from the bottom. Here is one thing to try...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197791&Product=w98
Error Message: TASKMON Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
Deleting APPLOG Content
(a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(b) "START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
(c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
(d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
(e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
prompted to confirm the deletion.

APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
last Defrag.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,