adware has stolen my desktop

I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?

Can you still use the internet, or do anything else on the machine? If
David's excellent suggestions cannot be completed, go to a different
machine, download the applications he recommended, burn them to CD, then
take them back to your machine and install and run them in Safe Mode.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

dcb1066 wrote:
> I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
> replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
> having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?

I had that along with an offline popup and a pestering "connect" or
"work offline" box. Adaware SE got rid of it.

Andre

My first step as well would be to use spybot search and destroy if you can
get it, although SBS&D doesn't always find everything when it comes to
desktop hijacking . if that doesn't work download a program called
hijackthis

and then do a scan and post the log of what it scans...

*warning*!! hijack this shows you everything, not just bad stuff, so don't
delete anything you don't know what it is.. I would just bring the log back
here

From: "dcb1066" <dcb1066@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
| replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
| having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?

Download, install and update; Ad-aware SE v1.06 and SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4.

After updating, perform scans of computer in Safe Mode.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"dcb1066" <dcb1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
> replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
> having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?
If you do a ctrl-alt-del, does that program show up in the Close Program box.
If so , just end-task on it and then do as the others suggested.
SpyWareBlaster is another free and excellent program that prevents much spyware
from even getting on your computer and it uses almost no resources.
AdAware and SpyBot will find and remove much of the spyware on your system.
You may have to run those in Safe Mode if running in Normal mode won't do it.

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

> *warning*!! hijack this shows you everything, not just bad stuff, so don't
> delete anything you don't know what it is.. I would just bring the log back
> here

Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an appropriate NG
here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any sticky
notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top in each
specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper one
that you post logs to.
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

http://forum.aumha.org/

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>

| Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an appropriate NG
| here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any sticky
| notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top in each
| specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
| information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper one
| that you post logs to.
| http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
|
| http://forum.aumha.org/
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
|
| Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Definitely !

Even in the FAQ for alt.privacy.spyware , there is a clause NOT to post HJT logs.

Those web based forums that specialize on the HJT logs are the *best* and most apropos
places to post them.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Andre

I have experience with the hijackthis logs, which is why i suggested it, my
bad tho.. i'm still not familiar with all the available forums ..

> From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
>

> | Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an
appropriate NG
> | here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any
sticky
> | notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top
in each
> | specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
> | information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper
one
> | that you post logs to.
> | http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
> |
> | http://forum.aumha.org/
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> |
> | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> |

> Definitely !
>
> Even in the FAQ for alt.privacy.spyware , there is a clause NOT to post
HJT logs.

> Those web based forums that specialize on the HJT logs are the *best* and
most apropos
> places to post them.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks Adware worked

> Thanks Adware worked
>
> "Buffalo" wrote:

You should be thanking Lipman as he was the first to suggest using AdAwareSe.
Happy to hear you got it solved.
You really should put SpyWareBlaster on your PC.
Enjoy.