adware has stolen my desktop

I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?
11 answers Last reply
More about adware stolen desktop

    Can you still use the internet, or do anything else on the machine? If
    David's excellent suggestions cannot be completed, go to a different
    machine, download the applications he recommended, burn them to CD, then
    take them back to your machine and install and run them in Safe Mode.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    dcb1066 wrote:
    > I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
    > replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
    > having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?

    I had that along with an offline popup and a pestering "connect" or
    "work offline" box. Adaware SE got rid of it.

    My first step as well would be to use spybot search and destroy if you can
    get it, although SBS&D doesn't always find everything when it comes to
    desktop hijacking . if that doesn't work download a program called
    hijackthis

    and then do a scan and post the log of what it scans...

    *warning*!! hijack this shows you everything, not just bad stuff, so don't
    delete anything you don't know what it is.. I would just bring the log back
    here

    From: "dcb1066" <dcb1066@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
    | replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
    | having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?

    Download, install and update; Ad-aware SE v1.06 and SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4.

    After updating, perform scans of computer in Safe Mode.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "dcb1066" <dcb1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I clicked on a hyperlink and the next thing I new my desktop was gone
    > replaced by an ad to remove adware. Is there a wasy to get rid of it without
    > having to flatten and reformat my harddrive?
    If you do a ctrl-alt-del, does that program show up in the Close Program box.
    If so , just end-task on it and then do as the others suggested.
    SpyWareBlaster is another free and excellent program that prevents much spyware
    from even getting on your computer and it uses almost no resources.
    AdAware and SpyBot will find and remove much of the spyware on your system.
    You may have to run those in Safe Mode if running in Normal mode won't do it.

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

    > *warning*!! hijack this shows you everything, not just bad stuff, so don't
    > delete anything you don't know what it is.. I would just bring the log back
    > here

    Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an appropriate NG
    here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any sticky
    notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top in each
    specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
    information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper one
    that you post logs to.
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

    http://forum.aumha.org/

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>

    | Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an appropriate NG
    | here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any sticky
    | notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top in each
    | specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
    | information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper one
    | that you post logs to.
    | http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    |
    | http://forum.aumha.org/
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    |
    | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Definitely !

    Even in the FAQ for alt.privacy.spyware , there is a clause NOT to post HJT logs.

    Those web based forums that specialize on the HJT logs are the *best* and most apropos
    places to post them.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I have experience with the hijackthis logs, which is why i suggested it, my
    bad tho.. i'm still not familiar with all the available forums ..

    > From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
    >

    > | Logs should not be posted here. Logs should be posted to an
    appropriate NG
    > | here where they specialize in spyware/hijacker removal. Please read any
    sticky
    > | notes for proper posting which are most commonly posted first at the top
    in each
    > | specific forum. Read any information under each forum category name for
    > | information on what that particular one is used for, look for the proper
    one
    > | that you post logs to.
    > | http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    > |
    > | http://forum.aumha.org/
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    > |
    > | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    > |

    > Definitely !
    >
    > Even in the FAQ for alt.privacy.spyware , there is a clause NOT to post
    HJT logs.

    > Those web based forums that specialize on the HJT logs are the *best* and
    most apropos
    > places to post them.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks Adware worked

    From: "dcb1066" <dcb1066@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Thanks Adware worked
    |
    | "Buffalo" wrote:

    That's "Ad-ware SE." Adware is the class of malware that Ad-aware removes.

    --

    > Thanks Adware worked
    >
    > "Buffalo" wrote:

    You should be thanking Lipman as he was the first to suggest using AdAwareSe.
    Happy to hear you got it solved.
    You really should put SpyWareBlaster on your PC.
    Enjoy.

Desktops Microsoft Hard Drives Windows