Hang when Startup - Win98 - Help

Computer froze, upon restart it hangs and will only start in Safe Mode. I
used troubleshooting article 188867 and tried selective startup modes,
protected-mode driverproblems, disabling PCI bus IRQ steering, disabling
devices (which disabled my PS/2 mouse and now I can't re-enable it in Safe
mode), auto skip driver, and check for damaged static virtual device driver.
I did step by step confirmation and it quit after doing vswp.vxd. I checked
Bootlog and there were no failures except for font drivers. It stopped after
[00165F0F] Starting Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F0F] Started Unknown
(HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F10] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O),
[00165F10] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O). So, I now can only go in
safe mode with no mouse, CD drive, printer, nor internet. Where do I go from
here?
7 answers Last reply
More about hang startup win98 help

    A little more info, if it helps. Nothing fancy on the machine, has been used
    for years. Changed nothing recently. Was typing an email when it froze,
    hadn't even tried to send.

    "dave98042" wrote:

    > Computer froze, upon restart it hangs and will only start in Safe Mode. I
    > used troubleshooting article 188867 and tried selective startup modes,
    > protected-mode driverproblems, disabling PCI bus IRQ steering, disabling
    > devices (which disabled my PS/2 mouse and now I can't re-enable it in Safe
    > mode), auto skip driver, and check for damaged static virtual device driver.
    > I did step by step confirmation and it quit after doing vswp.vxd. I checked
    > Bootlog and there were no failures except for font drivers. It stopped after
    > [00165F0F] Starting Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F0F] Started Unknown
    > (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F10] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O),
    > [00165F10] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O). So, I now can only go in
    > safe mode with no mouse, CD drive, printer, nor internet. Where do I go from
    > here?

    I find that file is either for Yamaha Midi Synthesizer or a NIC.
    If you are using either make sure you have the proper, better yet get updated
    files from the manufacturers site.
    In Safe Mode > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, if possible uninstall and
    apps/entries listed for either of the above.
    In Device Manager remove any/all devices listed Network Adapters and Sound,
    Video and Game Controllers.
    Close out and reboot.

    If you get as far as devices being redetected, reinstall the drivers per the
    manufacturers suggestion.

    If you still have issues:
    Read “Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it” by MS MVP Gary Terhune
    http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "dave98042" <dave98042@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Computer froze, upon restart it hangs and will only start in Safe Mode. I
    > used troubleshooting article 188867 and tried selective startup modes,
    > protected-mode driverproblems, disabling PCI bus IRQ steering, disabling
    > devices (which disabled my PS/2 mouse and now I can't re-enable it in Safe
    > mode), auto skip driver, and check for damaged static virtual device driver.
    > I did step by step confirmation and it quit after doing vswp.vxd. I checked
    > Bootlog and there were no failures except for font drivers. It stopped after
    > [00165F0F] Starting Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F0F] Started Unknown
    > (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F10] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O),
    > [00165F10] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O). So, I now can only go in
    > safe mode with no mouse, CD drive, printer, nor internet. Where do I go from
    > here?

    Thank you for the helpful sites on asking questions and writing queries.
    Thank you also for the info.
    I'm not using any synthesizers or AV equipment. The computer is just a
    standard six year old Dell with no speakers, etc. The only add on was a game
    board (I'll have to look up the kind) that was added about 3 years ago.
    I did disable all devices listed Network Adapters and Sound, Video and Game
    Controllers, rebooted and it still hung up. Restarted in safe mode and had
    no messages or indications of anything being redetected.
    I'll look up clean boot. Thanks.

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > I find that file is either for Yamaha Midi Synthesizer or a NIC.
    > If you are using either make sure you have the proper, better yet get updated
    > files from the manufacturers site.
    > In Safe Mode > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, if possible uninstall and
    > apps/entries listed for either of the above.
    > In Device Manager remove any/all devices listed Network Adapters and Sound,
    > Video and Game Controllers.
    > Close out and reboot.
    >
    > If you get as far as devices being redetected, reinstall the drivers per the
    > manufacturers suggestion.
    >
    > If you still have issues:
    > Read “Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it” by MS MVP Gary Terhune
    > http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >
    > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "dave98042" <dave98042@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Computer froze, upon restart it hangs and will only start in Safe Mode. I
    > > used troubleshooting article 188867 and tried selective startup modes,
    > > protected-mode driverproblems, disabling PCI bus IRQ steering, disabling
    > > devices (which disabled my PS/2 mouse and now I can't re-enable it in Safe
    > > mode), auto skip driver, and check for damaged static virtual device driver.
    > > I did step by step confirmation and it quit after doing vswp.vxd. I checked
    > > Bootlog and there were no failures except for font drivers. It stopped after
    > > [00165F0F] Starting Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F0F] Started Unknown
    > > (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F10] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O),
    > > [00165F10] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O). So, I now can only go in
    > > safe mode with no mouse, CD drive, printer, nor internet. Where do I go from
    > > here?

    "dave98042" <dave98042@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Computer froze, upon restart it hangs and will only start in Safe Mode. I
    > used troubleshooting article 188867 and tried selective startup modes,
    > protected-mode driverproblems, disabling PCI bus IRQ steering, disabling
    > devices (which disabled my PS/2 mouse and now I can't re-enable it in Safe
    > mode), auto skip driver, and check for damaged static virtual device
    driver.
    > I did step by step confirmation and it quit after doing vswp.vxd. I
    checked
    > Bootlog and there were no failures except for font drivers. It stopped
    after
    > [00165F0F] Starting Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F0F] Started Unknown
    > (HTREE/RESERVED\O), [00165F10] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O),
    > [00165F10] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE/RESERVED\O). So, I now can only go
    in
    > safe mode with no mouse, CD drive, printer, nor internet. Where do I go
    from
    > here?

    This behavior hints at control by a virus or hijacker.
    E.g. standard Win98 Safe Mode should enable the mouse,
    access to printer and Internet etc.

    Post again with more details e.g. what AV software you
    run, what maintenance routines you follow, what triggered
    this behavior etc.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Thank you for your reply. I run no AV software beyond Media Player &
    QuickTime. The only maintenance routine is backing up files weekly on my Zip
    Drive, which is also inaccessable in safe mode.
    I did attempt to use a Norton firewall/virus detector last spring, but
    didn't have enough memory to keep it resident and uninstalled it also last
    spring.
    I'm not sure what triggered the behavior. I was online, as I had been
    several times that day, was writing an email to a friend through hotmail
    (hadn't opened anything with attachments), the computer froze during the
    email composition, I rebooted, it hung on the reboot, rebooted and it went to
    safe mode and then the rest is as described in the original note.

    "Don Phillipson" wrote:

    > This behavior hints at control by a virus or hijacker.
    > E.g. standard Win98 Safe Mode should enable the mouse,
    > access to printer and Internet etc.
    >
    > Post again with more details e.g. what AV software you
    > run, what maintenance routines you follow, what triggered
    > this behavior etc.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    | The computer froze during the email composition

    Uh-oh. What is your MSHTML.dll version? It can do that!

    C:\>dir c:MSHTML.dll /a /s
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    MSHTML DLL 2,699,264 07-18-05 4:22p MSHTML.DLL
    1 file(s) 2,699,264 bytes

    Here is what a fully updated IE6 SP1 MSHTML.dll looks like...

    MSHTML.DLL
    Desc: Microsoft (R) HTML Viewer
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Mod: Monday, July 18, 2005 04:22:12 PM
    Size: 2,699,264 bytes
    Ver: 6.00.2800.1515

    | I rebooted, it hung on the reboot, rebooted and it went to
    | safe mode

    It goes to Safe Mode by itself? Then...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
    W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
    It says, delete "Wnbootng.sts", if you have it...

    (1) START button, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
    Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."
    (2) "START button, FIND, F/F, Wnbootng.sts". (Should be in C:\Windows.)
    R-Clk it, & select "Delete"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306615
    Always Starts in Safe Mode

    Here is a way to edit MSDOS.sys. This is an important file.

    (1) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options, View
    tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
    extensions..." too.
    (2) Find "C:\MSDOS.sys" and back it up. Call the backup MSDOS.bck, in
    C:\.
    (3) Then, R-Clk "C:\MSDOS.sys", Properties, and uncheck Read-Only.

    (4) Open it in Notepad, delete the "BootSafe=1", or change it to "=0",
    save it, & quit Notepad.

    (5) Then, R-Clk MSDOS.sys again, and make it Read-Only. Reboot.
    (6) Can't reboot? Then, in DOS, copy the backup over the one you've
    mussed.
    (a) ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.sys
    (b) COPY C:\MSDOS.bck C:\MSDOS.sys
    (c) ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.sys

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    NOTE: If you have a "C:\Winboot.ini", it will override MSDOS.sys,
    though. So, check for that too. It has the same format/instruction set
    as the other.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Thank you for your reply. I run no AV software beyond Media Player &
    | QuickTime. The only maintenance routine is backing up files weekly on
    my Zip
    | Drive, which is also inaccessable in safe mode.
    | I did attempt to use a Norton firewall/virus detector last spring, but
    | didn't have enough memory to keep it resident and uninstalled it also
    last
    | spring.
    | I'm not sure what triggered the behavior. I was online, as I had been
    | several times that day, was writing an email to a friend through
    hotmail
    | (hadn't opened anything with attachments), the computer froze during
    the
    | email composition, I rebooted, it hung on the reboot, rebooted and it
    went to
    | safe mode and then the rest is as described in the original note.
    |
    | "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    | >
    | > This behavior hints at control by a virus or hijacker.
    | > E.g. standard Win98 Safe Mode should enable the mouse,
    | > access to printer and Internet etc.
    | >
    | > Post again with more details e.g. what AV software you
    | > run, what maintenance routines you follow, what triggered
    | > this behavior etc.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Don Phillipson
    | > Carlsbad Springs
    | > (Ottawa, Canada)

    "dave98042" <dave98042@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your reply. I run no AV software beyond Media Player &
    > QuickTime. The only maintenance routine is backing up files weekly on my Zip
    > Drive, which is also inaccessable in safe mode.
    > I did attempt to use a Norton firewall/virus detector last spring, but
    > didn't have enough memory to keep it resident and uninstalled it also last
    > spring.
    > I'm not sure what triggered the behavior. I was online, as I had been
    > several times that day, was writing an email to a friend through hotmail
    > (hadn't opened anything with attachments), the computer froze during the
    > email composition, I rebooted, it hung on the reboot, rebooted and it went to
    > safe mode and then the rest is as described in the original note.

    Dave,
    AV , in this case, does not stand for Audio-Visual but for Anti-Virus.

Windows