w98 calling home?

I don’t know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I assume it
was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know what it
is? TIA

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE
25 answers Last reply
More about calling home

    Lorraine wrote:
    > I don’t know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I
    > assume it was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key.
    > Anyone know what it is? TIA
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE

    It is Outlook Express...your email program.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I don’t know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I assume it
    > was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know what it
    > is? TIA
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE

    Msimn.exe is the executable for OE. Perhaps OE is trying to connect on its own
    or some 'program' is using OE to access the Internet.

    That's Outlook Express. When you say "calling home", we see that as saying
    that the program wants to dial up. Do you use OE? What is the problem you
    want to solve? An unexpected prompt to dial up, or what?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > I don't know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I assume
    it
    > > was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know what
    it
    > > is? TIA
    > >
    > > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE
    > >
    > Msimn.exe is the executable for OE. Perhaps OE is trying to connect on its own
    > or some 'program' is using OE to access the Internet.

    Thank you for the replies. Buffalo, I think maybe you are correct in that it is
    another program trying to use it. I am not sending or receiving email when I get
    a notice that it is trying to reach a URL? numbered blah, blah (I'll have to
    look closer next time). I just stop it. I'll try a good clean up and delete some
    of the programs I've been testing and see what happens.

    Yes, Gary I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a URL or ISP.
    Sorry but I'm not sure as I just stop it. I paid little attention until today,
    which is about the 3rd day it occurred. It only happened once a day. I am using
    w98se and OE. This has never happened in the last 5 years or so and it started a
    couple of days ago. I'm connected to the Internet doing something else when this
    prompt pops up.

    > That's Outlook Express. When you say "calling home", we see that as saying
    > that the program wants to dial up. Do you use OE? What is the problem you
    > want to solve? An unexpected prompt to dial up, or what?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >I don't know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I assume
    > >it
    > > was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know what
    > > it
    > > is? TIA
    > >
    > > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE

    Assuming OE is running in the background when this happens, check your
    settings at:

    OE Tools > Options > General > Check for new messages every XX minutes (OE's
    prolly polling for new messages)

    OE Tools > Options > Security > Warn me when... (make sure this is checked)
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Inside Outlook Express
    www.insideoe.com

    Lorraine wrote:
    > Yes, Gary I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a URL or
    > ISP. Sorry but I'm not sure as I just stop it. I paid little attention
    > until today, which is about the 3rd day it occurred. It only happened
    > once a day. I am using w98se and OE. This has never happened in the last
    > 5 years or so and it started a couple of days ago. I'm connected to the
    > Internet doing something else when this prompt pops up.

    > > That's Outlook Express. When you say "calling home", we see that as
    > > saying that the program wants to dial up. Do you use OE? What is the
    > > problem you want to solve? An unexpected prompt to dial up, or what?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > > I don't know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I
    > > > assume it
    > > > was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know
    > > > what it
    > > > is? TIA
    > > >
    > > > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE

    In addition to Robear's suggestions, I'd want to do a serious scan of your
    system for malware. See my article at

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Yes, Gary I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a URL or
    > ISP.
    > Sorry but I'm not sure as I just stop it. I paid little attention until
    > today,
    > which is about the 3rd day it occurred. It only happened once a day. I am
    > using
    > w98se and OE. This has never happened in the last 5 years or so and it
    > started a
    > couple of days ago. I'm connected to the Internet doing something else
    > when this
    > prompt pops up.

    >> That's Outlook Express. When you say "calling home", we see that as
    >> saying
    >> that the program wants to dial up. Do you use OE? What is the problem you
    >> want to solve? An unexpected prompt to dial up, or what?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> >I don't know when I installed this but as it just stared recently I
    >> >assume
    >> >it
    >> > was with a w98 update, MS Antivirus or MS Validation key. Anyone know
    >> > what
    >> > it
    >> > is? TIA
    >> >
    >> > C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE

    Thanks PA Bear I just checked and the settings are as you show below. Your point
    about OE running in the background could be correct as I sometimes check email
    and/or newsgroups but I don't always close the program. I'll have to watch that.
    But even if OE is running in the background it should not just try to dial out
    unless a program initiated it? Could it be OE itself? I will keep a close eye on
    it when it happens again and write down exactly who it is sending too.

    > Assuming OE is running in the background when this happens, check your
    > settings at:
    >
    > OE Tools > Options > General > Check for new messages every XX minutes (OE's
    > prolly polling for new messages)
    >
    > OE Tools > Options > Security > Warn me when... (make sure this is checked)
    > --
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:

    > OE General newsgroup:
    >
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Inside Outlook Express
    > www.insideoe.com
    >

    > Lorraine wrote:
    > > Yes, Gary I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a URL or
    > > ISP. Sorry but I'm not sure as I just stop it. I paid little attention
    > > until today, which is about the 3rd day it occurred. It only happened
    > > once a day. I am using w98se and OE. This has never happened in the last
    > > 5 years or so and it started a couple of days ago. I'm connected to the
    > > Internet doing something else when this prompt pops up.
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > That's Outlook Express. When you say "calling home", we see that as
    > > > saying that the program wants to dial up. Do you use OE? What is the
    > > > problem you want to solve? An unexpected prompt to dial up, or what?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > ...But even if OE is running in the
    > background it should not just try to dial out unless a program initiated
    > it? Could it be OE itself?

    If OE's configured to check for new mail on a schedule, it will need to
    connect to do so, yes.

    OE shares IE's connection settings. See OE Tools > Options > Connection: Is
    "Hang up after..." selected here? Should it be? (Assuming AT&T DSL, no.)

    Also check your settings for every mail account here: OE Tools > Accounts >
    Mail > > Properties > Connection. Is "Always connect to this
    account..." checked? Should it be? (Assuming AT&T DSL, no.)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Lorraine wrote:
    > Thanks PA Bear I just checked and the settings are as you show below.
    > Your point about OE running in the background could be correct as I
    > sometimes check email and/or newsgroups but I don't always close the
    > program. I'll have to watch that. But even if OE is running in the
    > background it should not just try to dial out unless a program initiated
    > it? Could it be OE itself? I will keep a close eye on it when it happens
    > again and write down exactly who it is sending too.

    > > Assuming OE is running in the background when this happens, check your
    > > settings at:
    > >
    > > OE Tools > Options > General > Check for new messages every XX minutes
    > > (OE's prolly polling for new messages)
    > >
    > > OE Tools > Options > Security > Warn me when... (make sure this is
    > > checked) --
    > > OE6-specific newsgroup:

    > > OE General newsgroup:
    > >
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > Inside Outlook Express
    > > www.insideoe.com
    > >

    > > Lorraine wrote:
    > > > Yes, Gary I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a
    > > > URL or ISP. Sorry but I'm not sure as I just stop it. I paid little
    > > > attention until today, which is about the 3rd day it occurred. It
    > > > only happened once a day. I am using w98se and OE. This has never
    > > > happened in the last 5 years or so and it started a couple of days
    > > > ago. I'm connected to the Internet doing something else when this
    > > > prompt pops up.
    > > >

    > > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

    I will certainly do that Gary and I will report results after the scan, good or
    bad.. Thank you.

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    > Lorraine wrote:
    > > Thanks PA Bear I just checked and the settings are as you show below.
    > > Your point about OE running in the background could be correct as I
    > > sometimes check email and/or newsgroups but I don't always close the
    > > program. I'll have to watch that. But even if OE is running in the
    > > background it should not just try to dial out unless a program
    > > initiated it? Could it be OE itself? I will keep a close eye on it
    > > when it happens again and write down exactly who it is sending too.
    >

    > Since you said you were already connected to the internet when this
    > occurs, there is no need for it to dial out. If OE is open and you have
    > its options set to check for new mail at intervals, that is exactly what
    > it will do.
    >
    > Are you running a firewall program and is it that program that is
    > telling you that OE wants to connect? Have you updated OE recently?

    <snip>

    OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at intervals. I am
    running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing message. I keep IE
    updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that was part of the IE
    update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments are frowned upon here but
    I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post showing the error box if
    acceptable?

    Kerio Personal Firewall
    Outgoing Connection Alert!
    'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to localhost
    [127.0.0.1], port 1230

    Well, you have to permit that one, or OE won't synchronize your NGs.
    Uncheck it in Kerio to see.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    | "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    | > Lorraine wrote:
    | > > Thanks PA Bear I just checked and the settings are as you show
    below.
    | > > Your point about OE running in the background could be correct as
    | > > sometimes check email and/or newsgroups but I don't always close
    the
    | > > program. I'll have to watch that. But even if OE is running in the
    | > > background it should not just try to dial out unless a program
    | > > initiated it? Could it be OE itself? I will keep a close eye on it
    | > > when it happens again and write down exactly who it is sending
    too.

    | > Since you said you were already connected to the internet when this
    | > occurs, there is no need for it to dial out. If OE is open and you
    have
    | > its options set to check for new mail at intervals, that is exactly
    what
    | > it will do.
    | >
    | > Are you running a firewall program and is it that program that is
    | > telling you that OE wants to connect? Have you updated OE recently?
    |
    | <snip>
    |
    | OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at intervals.
    I am
    | running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing message.
    I keep IE
    | updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that was part
    of the IE
    | update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments are frowned
    upon here but
    | I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post showing the error box if
    | acceptable?
    |
    | Kerio Personal Firewall
    | Outgoing Connection Alert!
    | 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    localhost
    | [127.0.0.1], port 1230

    Thank you I will give it a try. Strange that it never came up before.

    PCR, I promise that I will not sue but my lawyer might ;-)

    > Well, you have to permit that one, or OE won't synchronize your NGs.
    > Uncheck it in Kerio to see.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    > below.
    > the
    > too.
    > | >

    > | > Since you said you were already connected to the internet when this
    > | > occurs, there is no need for it to dial out. If OE is open and you
    > have
    > | > its options set to check for new mail at intervals, that is exactly
    > what
    > | > it will do.
    > | >
    > | > Are you running a firewall program and is it that program that is
    > | > telling you that OE wants to connect? Have you updated OE recently?
    > |
    > | <snip>
    > |
    > | OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at intervals.
    > I am
    > | running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing message.
    > I keep IE
    > | updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that was part
    > of the IE
    > | update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments are frowned
    > upon here but
    > | I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post showing the error box if
    > | acceptable?
    > |
    > | Kerio Personal Firewall
    > | Outgoing Connection Alert!
    > | 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    > localhost
    > | [127.0.0.1], port 1230

    Also, without permitting it, you may not post to a NG. Well, I know very
    finite control is possible in Kerio, as to what manner of datagram may
    be sent/received from a particular app & to/from which port or endpoint
    address. Currently, though, I haven't fully explored what to do with all
    that. I can hardly remember how I came up with the rules I do have.
    Seems...

    OE is allowed...

    Protocol: TCP
    Direction: Outgoing
    Port type: Any port
    Application: Only c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe
    Addr type: Any address
    Port type: Any port
    Rule Valid: Always
    Action: Permit

    This, however, is UNDER other rules that DO BLOCK...

    (A) Other ICMP (both directions, any address, always), which is a real
    bunch...

    [0] Echo Reply, [3] Destination Unreachable, [4] Source Quench, [5]
    Redirect, [6] Alternate Host Address, [9] Router Advertisement, [10]
    Router Solicitation, [11] Time Exceeded, [12] Parameter Problem, [13]
    Timestamp, [14] Timestamp Reply, [15] Information Request, [16]
    Information Reply, [17] Address Mask Request, [18] Address Mask Reply,
    [30] Traceroute, [31] Datagram Conversion Error, [32] Mobile Host
    Redirect, [33] IPv6 Where-Are-You, [34] IPv6 I-Am-Here, [35] Mobile
    Registration Request, [36] Mobile Registration Reply, [37] Domain Name
    Request, [38] Domain Name Reply, [39] SKIP, [40] Photuris, [xx] All ICMP
    Codes

    (B) IGMP
    Protocol: Other, 2
    Direction: Both directions
    Address type: Any address
    Rule valid: Always
    Action: Deny, Display Alert Box

    --
    | Thank you I will give it a try. Strange that it never came up before.
    |
    | PCR, I promise that I will not sue but my lawyer might ;-)

    | > Well, you have to permit that one, or OE won't synchronize your NGs.
    | > Uncheck it in Kerio to see.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    | > below.
    | > the
    | > too.

    | > have
    | > what

    recently?
    | > |
    | > | <snip>
    | > |
    | > | OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at
    intervals.
    | > I am
    | > | running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing
    message.
    | > I keep IE
    | > | updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that was
    part
    | > of the IE
    | > | update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments are frowned
    | > upon here but
    | > | I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post showing the error
    box if
    | > | acceptable?
    | > |
    | > | Kerio Personal Firewall
    | > | Outgoing Connection Alert!
    | > | 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    | > localhost
    | > | [127.0.0.1], port 1230
    | > |

    Huh? What's a UDP datagram
    (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci214157,00.html)
    got to do with synchronizing newsgroups?
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Lorraine wrote:
    > > > Thanks PA Bear I just checked and the settings are as you show below.
    > > > Your point about OE running in the background could be correct as I
    > > > sometimes check email and/or newsgroups but I don't always close the
    > > > program. I'll have to watch that. But even if OE is running in the
    > > > background it should not just try to dial out unless a program
    > > > initiated it? Could it be OE itself? I will keep a close eye on it
    > > > when it happens again and write down exactly who it is sending too.
    > >
    > > Since you said you were already connected to the internet when this
    > > occurs, there is no need for it to dial out. If OE is open and you have
    > > its options set to check for new mail at intervals, that is exactly what
    > > it will do.
    > >
    > > Are you running a firewall program and is it that program that is
    > > telling you that OE wants to connect? Have you updated OE recently?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at intervals. I
    > am running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing message.
    > I keep IE updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that
    > was part of the IE update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments
    > are frowned upon here but I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post
    > showing the error box if acceptable?
    >
    > Kerio Personal Firewall
    > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    > localhost [127.0.0.1], port 1230

    1. Make *certain* you're fully up-to-date at Windows Update.

    2. Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Uhhhh, no, I mean, well, definitely OE needs access to the NET to
    Synchronize or to post. Here is the Kerio message, if it is
    disallowed...

    Details: 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to connect to
    207.46.248.16, port 119
    Details of App: c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe

    However, yea, the rule I have about OE mentions no UDP, only TCP. (I do
    have a rule named DNS which appears to be very liberal with UDP, though.
    It is above the OE rule.)

    OK, then. OK, thanks. Yea, better run those virus/spyware apps. I guess
    I put my foot in it! Still, by the URL you post, UDP & TCP are much the
    same. They differ mainly in that TCP can handle multiple
    packets/datagrams at once.

    --

    )
    | got to do with synchronizing newsgroups?
    | --
    | ~PA Bear
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Well, you have to permit that one, or OE won't synchronize your NGs.
    | > Uncheck it in Kerio to see.
    | >

    | > > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    OE

    | > > <snip>
    | > >
    | > > OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at
    intervals.
    | > > I am running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing
    | > > message. I keep IE updated but I never updated OE specifically as
    | > > assumed that was part of the IE update? Am I in error here? I
    realize
    | > > that attachments are frowned upon here but I have a 28 KB Word
    document
    | > > which I can post showing the error box if acceptable?
    | > >
    | > > Kerio Personal Firewall
    | > > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    | > > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    | > > localhost [127.0.0.1], port 1230

    Thanks PCR and PA Bear. I really appreciate the information but it is too much
    tech.-talk for me, besides I'm too old to absorb all that. My brain's RAM is
    functioning but its hard drive is kaput. Very good UDP datagram explanation PA
    Bear. I don't know what will happen but I let the last one go through. I don't
    believe I have anything of importance on my computer. I never used a credit card
    and I store everything personal on CDs. I do use several PC cleaners and they
    found lots of stuff. I clean out this computer regularly but I did some heavy
    searching and got caught up in what I was doing and accumulated a bunch of
    trash. My mistake and that could be the cause. I deleted almost all the programs
    that I updated or installed prior to when this situation started but today it
    just came back again. This computer is my 3rd one purchased in July 1999. Until
    about a week ago I never got this alert. I really am not that computer literate,
    self-thought with the help of newsgroups like this one and to me this appears to
    be some form of bug. But I'm guessing. There is a site that will analyze your
    computer for viruses but I can't remember were I stored it. Either of you know
    of one? Again, thank you.

    > > > Since you said you were already connected to the internet when this
    > > > occurs, there is no need for it to dial out. If OE is open and you have
    > > > its options set to check for new mail at intervals, that is exactly what
    > > > it will do.
    > > >
    > > > Are you running a firewall program and is it that program that is
    > > > telling you that OE wants to connect? Have you updated OE recently?
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at intervals. I
    > > am running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the outgoing message.
    > > I keep IE updated but I never updated OE specifically as I assumed that
    > > was part of the IE update? Am I in error here? I realize that attachments
    > > are frowned upon here but I have a 28 KB Word document which I can post
    > > showing the error box if acceptable?
    > >
    > > Kerio Personal Firewall
    > > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    > > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    > > localhost [127.0.0.1], port 1230
    >
    > 1. Make *certain* you're fully up-to-date at Windows Update.
    >
    > 2. Check for Hijackware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    > your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    > for expert analysis, not here.**
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    > I don't know what will happen but I let the
    > last one go through.

    I wouldn't, if I were you, Lorraine.

    > ...There is a site that will analyze your computer for viruses but I can't
    > remember
    > were I stored it.

    There are numerous online scans available. See
    http://aumha.org/secure.php#freeav (Steer clear of Panda ActiveScan IMO).

    Very few hijackers are true viruses or Trojans so getting an All Clear at
    any of these sites does *not* mean your machine is hijackware-free or as
    secure as possible.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Lorraine wrote:
    > Thanks PCR and PA Bear. I really appreciate the information but it is too
    > much tech.-talk for me, besides I'm too old to absorb all that. My
    > brain's RAM is functioning but its hard drive is kaput. Very good UDP
    > datagram explanation PA Bear. I don't know what will happen but I let the
    > last one go through. I don't believe I have anything of importance on my
    > computer. I never used a credit card and I store everything personal on
    > CDs. I do use several PC cleaners and they found lots of stuff. I clean
    > out this computer regularly but I did some heavy searching and got caught
    > up in what I was doing and accumulated a bunch of trash. My mistake and
    > that could be the cause. I deleted almost all the programs that I updated
    > or installed prior to when this situation started but today it just came
    > back again. This computer is my 3rd one purchased in July 1999. Until
    > about a week ago I never got this alert. I really am not that computer
    > literate, self-thought with the help of newsgroups like this one and to
    > me this appears to be some form of bug. But I'm guessing. There is a site
    > that will analyze your computer for viruses but I can't remember were I
    > stored it. Either of you know of one? Again, thank you.

    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > OE is open and options are not set to check for new mail at
    > > > intervals. I am running Kerio firewall, which is alerting me to the
    > > > outgoing message. I keep IE updated but I never updated OE
    > > > specifically as I assumed that was part of the IE update? Am I in
    > > > error here? I realize that attachments are frowned upon here but I
    > > > have a 28 KB Word document which I can post showing the error box if
    > > > acceptable?
    > > >
    > > > Kerio Personal Firewall
    > > > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    > > > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    > > > localhost [127.0.0.1], port 1230
    > >
    > > 1. Make *certain* you're fully up-to-date at Windows Update.
    > >
    > > 2. Check for Hijackware
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    > > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    > > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    > > use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    > > hijackware/spyware. **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. No, by PA's words, don't allow it. In fact, deny it &
    have Kerio create a rule against it. That is easy to figure: it's right
    on the alert box. Then, see whether OE still functions for you. You may
    even edit the rule to have it inform you when it happens... R-Clk Kerio
    in the tray, select "Administration", click the Advanced button, D-Clk
    the new OE rule, & put a check in "Display an alert box...".

    Hmm-- how many OE rules are showing at that screen before the new one?
    Is there one already denying UDP?

    Well, try the sites Bear posted. The message you posted was...

    (a) "I get an unexpected prompt that OE wants to connect to a URL or
    ISP"
    Well, that sounds like the one I get that's normal when the rule
    for TCP is disallowed...
    "'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to connect to
    207.46.248.16, port 119"

    (b) "'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    localhost [127.0.0.1], port 1230"

    That one I haven't seen, actually. I do appear to have two rules
    involving UDP above the OE rule. They each appear to be very liberal in
    allowing it-- any app, any port, whatever. I have unchecked them now to
    disallow it, & let us see what happens.

    Yikes, almost immediately, NetZero is doing a lot of complaining...
    "Someone from 64.136.28.120, port 53 wants to send UDP datagram to port
    1122 owned by 'ZCast' on your computer". (I wonder whether that explains
    it's stealth updates.)

    But OE hasn't yet complained.

    --
> [...]
    | > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    | > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    | > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    | > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    | > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
    | > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
    | > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    | > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    | >
    | > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    | > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    use.
    | > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    **Post
    | > your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    | > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    | > for expert analysis, not here.**
    | > --
    | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    64.136.28.120, port 53

    Yea, I got it too, a series of them! I notice it will happen when those
    global UDP rules are disallowed & one clicks to open a NG in the left
    pane of OE.

    IE also will complain when opening the first instance of it by clicking
    an URL.

    --
> [...]
    | | searching and got caught up in what I was doing and accumulated a
    | bunch of
    | | trash. My mistake and that could be the cause. I deleted almost all
    | the programs
    | | that I updated or installed prior to when this situation started but
    | today it
    | | just came back again. This computer is my 3rd one purchased in July
    | 1999. Until
    | | about a week ago I never got this alert. I really am not that
    computer
    | literate,
    | | self-thought with the help of newsgroups like this one and to me
    this
    | appears to
    | | be some form of bug. But I'm guessing. There is a site that will
    | analyze your
    | | computer for viruses but I can't remember were I stored it. Either
    | |
    | |
    | | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | below.
    | as I
    | close the
    | the
    | on it
    | too.

    | this
    | you have
    | exactly what

    | is
    | recently?

    | intervals. I
    | message.
    | that
    | attachments
    | post

    | | > 1. Make *certain* you're fully up-to-date at Windows Update.
    | | >
    | | > 2. Check for Hijackware
    | | > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    | | > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    | | > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    | | > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    | | > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
    | | > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
    | | > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    | | > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    | | >
    | | > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    | | > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool
    | use.
    | | > It will help you to both identify and remove any
    hijackware/spyware.
    | **Post
    | | > your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    | | > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    | http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    | | > for expert analysis, not here.**
    | | > --
    | | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | | > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    | |

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'll try some of the online scans and deny the outgoing alerts and have Kerio
    create a rule against it. I will also watch this newsgroup for any updates on
    this subject. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

    > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    > 64.136.28.120, port 53
    >
    > Yea, I got it too, a series of them! I notice it will happen when those
    > global UDP rules are disallowed & one clicks to open a NG in the left
    > pane of OE.
    >
    > IE also will complain when opening the first instance of it by clicking
    > an URL.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    <snip>
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I'll try some of the online scans and deny the outgoing alerts and have
    Kerio
    > create a rule against it. I will also watch this newsgroup for any updates
    on
    > this subject.

    IP Address : [64.136.28.120] lax-dns.lax.untd.com
    IP Location: United States [US]

    OrgName: Juno Online Services, Inc.
    OrgID: JUNO
    Address: 21301 Burbank Boulevard
    City: Woodland Hills
    StateProv: CA
    PostalCode: 91367
    Country: US

    NetRange: 64.136.0.0 - 64.136.63.255
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. I may soon begin an intensive study of it. At least
    that's what I promised 'bout a year ago I guess. OK, then. (Let me go
    see what Candlin is trying to say.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    | I'll try some of the online scans and deny the outgoing alerts and
    have Kerio
    | create a rule against it. I will also watch this newsgroup for any
    updates on
    | this subject. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

    | > 'Outlook Express' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to
    | > 64.136.28.120, port 53
    | >
    | > Yea, I got it too, a series of them! I notice it will happen when
    those
    | > global UDP rules are disallowed & one clicks to open a NG in the
    left
    | > pane of OE.
    | >
    | > IE also will complain when opening the first instance of it by
    clicking
    | > an URL.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | <snip>

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, I had Juno once. I believe it was bought by NetZero, which is what
    I have now. I presume everything is on the up & up, & this is just my
    ISP involvement to NG access. Everyone's ISP must do it! Right? Don't
    try to scare me, Candlin!

    --
    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    | "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    | > I'll try some of the online scans and deny the outgoing alerts and
    have
    | Kerio
    | > create a rule against it. I will also watch this newsgroup for any
    updates
    | on
    | > this subject.
    |
    | IP Address : [64.136.28.120] lax-dns.lax.untd.com
    | IP Location: United States [US]
    |
    | OrgName: Juno Online Services, Inc.
    | OrgID: JUNO
    | Address: 21301 Burbank Boulevard
    | City: Woodland Hills
    | StateProv: CA
    | PostalCode: 91367
    | Country: US
    |
    | NetRange: 64.136.0.0 - 64.136.63.255

Outlook Express Microsoft Antivirus Windows