Copy a few files from one hard drive to another

I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive with
Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed, so
I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I need.Is
this possible?
I would like some much needed help.
4 answers Last reply
More about copy files hard drive another

    Easiest way to transfer files from the old machine to the new one is to move
    the hard drive to the new machine and copy them off.

    As Robear says, you can't generally move applications to another machine
    without the original installer(s). Only if the application does not require
    "installing", does not require configuring according to the system it's
    going to run on, no Registry entries, no other Windows configuration files,
    etc. may it be possible to simply move it and run it.

    What are the applications involved?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User
    "Slack" <Slack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
    >with
    > Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
    > I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
    > I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
    > I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
    > so
    > I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
    > need.Is
    > this possible?
    > I would like some much needed help.

    Applications (programs) must be *installed* in WinME, they cannot be
    transferred to it.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Slack wrote:
    > I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
    > with Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
    > I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
    > I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
    > I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
    > so I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
    > need.Is this possible?
    > I would like some much needed help.

    Thanks for the info guy's.
    I have a couple of old programs on it that belonged to
    my missus's dad (deceased) and she would like to continue the work he was
    doing on a astrollogical program (biorythms) it is on an old machine. I do
    not know if i can transfer all the program complete, including the installers
    etc. i just wanted to copy it over to see if it would work. I have not done
    this before and i looked at a few sites talking about jumpers and stuff. Can
    you just copy and paste? when the system boots up will it "find" the added
    drive?
    Thanks for the help thus far.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Easiest way to transfer files from the old machine to the new one is to move
    > the hard drive to the new machine and copy them off.
    >
    > As Robear says, you can't generally move applications to another machine
    > without the original installer(s). Only if the application does not require
    > "installing", does not require configuring according to the system it's
    > going to run on, no Registry entries, no other Windows configuration files,
    > etc. may it be possible to simply move it and run it.
    >
    > What are the applications involved?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > "Slack" <Slack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
    > >with
    > > Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
    > > I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
    > > I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
    > > I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
    > > so
    > > I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
    > > need.Is
    > > this possible?
    > > I would like some much needed help.

    1. There *are* programs out there that will search out all the dependencies
    and settings involved in any particular program and then create a new
    "installer" you can use on a different (or rebuilt) system. The more
    complicated the program, the less likely such a tool will succeed, but from
    what you describe, I'd be tempted to try one. Norton Uninstall Deluxe is one
    well-known utility for this purpose. Not sure how well the newest version
    will work on your system, since many modern programs simply don't like
    Windows 98 anymore. But I thought I should mention this possibility, in case
    you have the cash to spare for such an experiment. (Yes, it's called Norton
    Uninstall, and uninstalling apps that otherwise have trouble uninstalling is
    its primary use--but moving apps to another system is an included function.
    Both functions are closely related.)

    2. To move the drive to a different computer, the "how" depends on how your
    drives are connected now. You may need to change its jumper to Slave (and
    the master drive may also need to be changed from "Single" (a Master where
    no Slave exists) to "Master w/ Slave Present" if such a differentiation is
    made on the Master drive (some do, some don't.). Or, if the Secondary IDE
    channel has no drives connected (if your CD drive is the Primary Slave) you
    can leave the old drive's jumper set to Master (or Single, or whatever) and
    put it on the Secondary channel. Assuming you get these connections right,
    Windows will automatically see it. One issue, though, will be that now your
    D:\ drive will be the old drive, bumping the CD Drive to E: if you haven't
    already reassigned the CD drive to something like X: or W: (which is what I
    do with all optical drives as soon as I install a new system.)

    --

    > Thanks for the info guy's.
    > I have a couple of old programs on it that belonged to
    > my missus's dad (deceased) and she would like to continue the work he was
    > doing on a astrollogical program (biorythms) it is on an old machine. I do
    > not know if i can transfer all the program complete, including the
    > installers
    > etc. i just wanted to copy it over to see if it would work. I have not
    > done
    > this before and i looked at a few sites talking about jumpers and stuff.
    > Can
    > you just copy and paste? when the system boots up will it "find" the added
    > drive?
    > Thanks for the help thus far.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> Easiest way to transfer files from the old machine to the new one is to
    >> move
    >> the hard drive to the new machine and copy them off.
    >>
    >> As Robear says, you can't generally move applications to another machine
    >> without the original installer(s). Only if the application does not
    >> require
    >> "installing", does not require configuring according to the system it's
    >> going to run on, no Registry entries, no other Windows configuration
    >> files,
    >> etc. may it be possible to simply move it and run it.
    >>
    >> What are the applications involved?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> "Slack" <Slack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
    >> >with
    >> > Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
    >> > I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer
    >> > pc.
    >> > I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
    >> > I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive
    >> > installed,
    >> > so
    >> > I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
    >> > need.Is
    >> > this possible?
    >> > I would like some much needed help.

CD-Rom Burner Microsoft Hard Drives Windows