Copy a few files from one hard drive to another

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 24, 2005 8:08:23 PM

I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive with
Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed, so
I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I need.Is
this possible?
I would like some much needed help.

More about : copy files hard drive

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:42:33 PM

Easiest way to transfer files from the old machine to the new one is to move
the hard drive to the new machine and copy them off.

As Robear says, you can't generally move applications to another machine
without the original installer(s). Only if the application does not require
"installing", does not require configuring according to the system it's
going to run on, no Registry entries, no other Windows configuration files,
etc. may it be possible to simply move it and run it.

What are the applications involved?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
"Slack" <Slack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
>with
> Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
> I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
> I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
> I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
> so
> I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
> need.Is
> this possible?
> I would like some much needed help.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:32:12 PM

Applications (programs) must be *installed* in WinME, they cannot be
transferred to it.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Slack wrote:
> I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
> with Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
> I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
> I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
> I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
> so I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
> need.Is this possible?
> I would like some much needed help.
Related resources
August 25, 2005 3:35:06 PM

Thanks for the info guy's.
I have a couple of old programs on it that belonged to
my missus's dad (deceased) and she would like to continue the work he was
doing on a astrollogical program (biorythms) it is on an old machine. I do
not know if i can transfer all the program complete, including the installers
etc. i just wanted to copy it over to see if it would work. I have not done
this before and i looked at a few sites talking about jumpers and stuff. Can
you just copy and paste? when the system boots up will it "find" the added
drive?
Thanks for the help thus far.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Easiest way to transfer files from the old machine to the new one is to move
> the hard drive to the new machine and copy them off.
>
> As Robear says, you can't generally move applications to another machine
> without the original installer(s). Only if the application does not require
> "installing", does not require configuring according to the system it's
> going to run on, no Registry entries, no other Windows configuration files,
> etc. may it be possible to simply move it and run it.
>
> What are the applications involved?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> "Slack" <Slack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need help to transfer a few programs and files from an old hard drive
> >with
> > Win98 second edition on it to my usual hard drive with winME on it.
> > I do not have a CD burner drive in the old pc but have one on my newer pc.
> > I dont have any original disks for the programs I want to transfer.
> > I don't know if the older pc would cope with a cd burner drive installed,
> > so
> > I thought just plug in the old hard drive and copy over the files I
> > need.Is
> > this possible?
> > I would like some much needed help.

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:33:56 PM

1. There *are* programs out there that will search out all the dependencies
and settings involved in any particular program and then create a new
"installer" you can use on a different (or rebuilt) system. The more
complicated the program, the less likely such a tool will succeed, but from
what you describe, I'd be tempted to try one. Norton Uninstall Deluxe is one
well-known utility for this purpose. Not sure how well the newest version
will work on your system, since many modern programs simply don't like
Windows 98 anymore. But I thought I should mention this possibility, in case
you have the cash to spare for such an experiment. (Yes, it's called Norton
Uninstall, and uninstalling apps that otherwise have trouble uninstalling is
its primary use--but moving apps to another system is an included function.
Both functions are closely related.)

2. To move the drive to a different computer, the "how" depends on how your
drives are connected now. You may need to change its jumper to Slave (and
the master drive may also need to be changed from "Single" (a Master where
no Slave exists) to "Master w/ Slave Present" if such a differentiation is
made on the Master drive (some do, some don't.). Or, if the Secondary IDE
channel has no drives connected (if your CD drive is the Primary Slave) you
can leave the old drive's jumper set to Master (or Single, or whatever) and
put it on the Secondary channel. Assuming you get these connections right,
Windows will automatically see it. One issue, though, will be that now your
D:\ drive will be the old drive, bumping the CD Drive to E: if you haven't
already reassigned the CD drive to something like X: or W: (which is what I
do with all optical drives as soon as I install a new system.)

--

!