Print BIOS Windows

I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do that
using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?
9 answers Last reply
More about print bios windows

    If I had a dime for every time this question was asked..... ;-)
    Short answer is, I know of no way to accomplish what you want.

    Long answer, there may be alternatives.
    I have seen a number of utilities that claim to save your BIOS settings to a file,
    but they all save them to a binary file which does not display as any intelligible
    characters, and certainly not useful for printing either.

    Some older printers (I mean at least 6 or 7 years old) were capable of printing
    without any drivers loaded, and without Windows running. For example, on an older
    system here, I have an Epson Stylus Color 640, and I can press the PrintScreen key
    at each BIOS screen, and it will print out the screen contents, though not in a
    formatted page.
    Some BIOS (IIRC AMi BIOS from certain years) actually had a built-in option in the
    BIOS to print the info, but I don't know if that worked with printers that required
    Windows drivers to be loaded in order to print.

    On alternative is to use a digital camera to take a snapshot of each BIOS screen,
    and save the photos as image files on your hard drive of on a CD-R.

    Hope this helps.....
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do that
    > using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?

    If you have a parallel port printer,
    Try this:
    Press the "Print Screen" key,
    Wait about 30 seconds, then press the form-feed button on the printer.
    even with most "parallel port" printers, this will give you a print out of
    the BIOS window.
    It works because the laser and inkjet printer wait for either a full page of
    data or a form-feed command to start printing in the DOS mode.
    Unfortunately, USB printers do not know any DOS commands, like lots of
    computer techs today.

    > If I had a dime for every time this question was asked..... ;-)
    > Short answer is, I know of no way to accomplish what you want.
    >
    > Long answer, there may be alternatives.
    > I have seen a number of utilities that claim to save your BIOS settings to
    > a file,
    > but they all save them to a binary file which does not display as any
    > intelligible
    > characters, and certainly not useful for printing either.
    >
    > Some older printers (I mean at least 6 or 7 years old) were capable of
    > printing
    > without any drivers loaded, and without Windows running. For example, on
    > an older
    > system here, I have an Epson Stylus Color 640, and I can press the
    > PrintScreen key
    > at each BIOS screen, and it will print out the screen contents, though not
    > in a
    > formatted page.
    > Some BIOS (IIRC AMi BIOS from certain years) actually had a built-in
    > option in the
    > BIOS to print the info, but I don't know if that worked with printers that
    > required
    > Windows drivers to be loaded in order to print.
    >
    > On alternative is to use a digital camera to take a snapshot of each BIOS
    > screen,
    > and save the photos as image files on your hard drive of on a CD-R.
    >
    > Hope this helps.....
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do
    >> that
    >> using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?

    A bit labor time consuming, but when this was important to me, I copied each
    page in a spiral notebook for future reference. Keep the same notebook
    handy for many PC things like error codes for instance during
    troubleshooting, passwords, POP email setup for my ISP etc. That is
    everything that that may be vital, but rarely use and may lose if the PC
    bites the dust.

    From: "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do that
    | using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?

    Take a digital photograph. The BIOS screen is too low level to perform a print-screen.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do that
    > | using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?
    >
    > Take a digital photograph. The BIOS screen is too low level to perform a
    print-screen.

    No, actually it's not. I have printed out BIOS screens (generic Award BIOS) using
    the PrintScreen button, to my Epson Stylus Color 640 on LPT1. As Richard in AZ
    mentions, I had to hit the paper feed button to keep the paper going and print each
    screen.

    From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

    >> From: "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >>
    |>> I'd like to print the BIOS windows I see on the screen. How could I do that
    |>> using a printer that functions after I boot my computer?
    >>
    >> Take a digital photograph. The BIOS screen is too low level to perform a
    | print-screen.
    |
    | No, actually it's not. I have printed out BIOS screens (generic Award BIOS) using
    | the PrintScreen button, to my Epson Stylus Color 640 on LPT1. As Richard in AZ
    | mentions, I had to hit the paper feed button to keep the paper going and print each
    | screen.
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Oh well... :-)

    --

    glee wrote:

    > If I had a dime for every time this question was asked..... ;-)

    What question was that again? :-(

    > Short answer is, I know of no way to accomplish what you want.
    >
    > Long answer, there may be alternatives.
    > I have seen a number of utilities that claim to save your BIOS settings to a file,
    > but they all save them to a binary file which does not display as any intelligible
    > characters, and certainly not useful for printing either.

    Asustek has one DOS program (CMOS.exe) that outputs the settings
    (current & possible) into a text-file. ( It can be found with downloads
    of the AFlash utility from their german FTP site. )

    It works on my Asustek motherboard as it should, but not on a
    motherboard from Soltek (Error! Can't find System BIOS' Hook), so it
    seems to be manufacture-specific.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    "... et al." <
    [snip]
    > Asustek has one DOS program (CMOS.exe) that outputs the settings
    > (current & possible) into a text-file. ( It can be found with downloads
    > of the AFlash utility from their german FTP site. )
    >
    > It works on my Asustek motherboard as it should, but not on a
    > motherboard from Soltek (Error! Can't find System BIOS' Hook), so it
    > seems to be manufacture-specific.

    Thanks for that.

    Buffalo wrote:

    > "... et al." <
    > [snip]
    >
    >>Asustek has one DOS program (CMOS.exe) that outputs the settings
    >>(current & possible) into a text-file. ( It can be found with downloads
    >>of the AFlash utility from their german FTP site. )
    >>
    >>It works on my Asustek motherboard as it should, but not on a
    >>motherboard from Soltek (Error! Can't find System BIOS' Hook), so it
    >>seems to be manufacture-specific.
    >
    > Thanks for that.

    :-)

    Here's a snippet (2 of 185 items) of the output it produces, for anyone
    curious. The asterisks indicates the BIOS's default values.

    [Signature]
    Usage=CMOS.EXE
    MB_Model=A7V333
    Built_Date=10/29/02

    [Item 1]

    <snip>

    [Item 61]
    Item_Name=Power On By PS/2 Keyboard
    CMOS_Mask=0060
    Location=58
    CMOS_Value=02
    Range=00 - 03
    Description=As the followings
    Current=Ctrl-Esc
    00*=Disabled
    01=Space Bar
    02=Ctrl-Esc
    03=Power Key

    [Item 62]
    Item_Name=Power On By PS/2 Mouse
    CMOS_Mask=0080
    Location=58
    CMOS_Value=00
    Range=00 - 01
    Description=As the followings
    Current=Disabled
    00*=Disabled
    01=Enabled

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

BIOS Computers Microsoft Printers Windows