AVG Resident Shield has been deactivated...uninstalling an..

Ever since the AVG 7 update today that required a reboot, my AVG Resident Shield
has been deactivated. I've gone to the AVG Forums and been helped, but the
problem defies solution at this time. I have Roxio EZCD 5, so the EZCD version 6
conflict doesn't seem to apply; and I got an error message trying to run that
fix saying the CDR4 layer isn't on my drive. I did an AdAware Scan and it found
a couple for items about the SahAgent, and I rebooted and my AVG 7 is no better.
12 answers Last reply
More about resident shield deactivated uninstalling

    Did you have another anti-virus app installed prior to installing AVG7? Did
    you uninstall it before installing AVG7? Was it NAV?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    > Ever since the AVG 7 update today that required a reboot, my AVG Resident
    > Shield has been deactivated. I've gone to the AVG Forums and been helped,
    > but the problem defies solution at this time. I have Roxio EZCD 5, so the
    > EZCD version 6 conflict doesn't seem to apply; and I got an error message
    > trying to run that fix saying the CDR4 layer isn't on my drive. I did an
    > AdAware Scan and it found a couple for items about the SahAgent, and I
    > rebooted and my AVG 7 is no better.

    How exactly did you remove SAHAgent?
    Did you check for other malware, not picked up by Ad-Aware?

    Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder *other than* your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message
    > Ever since the AVG 7 update today that required a reboot, my AVG Resident Shield
    > has been deactivated. I've gone to the AVG Forums and been helped, but the
    > problem defies solution at this time. I have Roxio EZCD 5, so the EZCD version 6
    > conflict doesn't seem to apply; and I got an error message trying to run that
    > fix saying the CDR4 layer isn't on my drive. I did an AdAware Scan and it found
    > a couple for items about the SahAgent, and I rebooted and my AVG 7 is no better.

    From your other replies here, it sounds like AVG isn't the problem,
    hijackware/Trojanware is!

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PA Bear wrote:
    > Did you have another anti-virus app installed prior to installing AVG7?
    > Did you uninstall it before installing AVG7? Was it NAV?
    >
    > Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    > > Ever since the AVG 7 update today that required a reboot, my AVG
    > > Resident Shield has been deactivated. I've gone to the AVG Forums and
    > > been helped, but the problem defies solution at this time. I have Roxio
    > > EZCD 5, so the EZCD version 6 conflict doesn't seem to apply; and I got
    > > an error message trying to run that fix saying the CDR4 layer isn't on
    > > my drive. I did an AdAware Scan and it found a couple for items about
    > > the SahAgent, and I rebooted and my AVG 7 is no better.

    NAV hasn't been on my machine since mid-2004. I uninstalled NSW 2003 and
    reinstalled it without NAV in mid-2004, then installed Panda AV. Panda AV worked
    for 10 months then it stopped scanning my hard drives in June 2005; so I
    uninstalled that because of the lack of technical support that doesn't cost a
    tank full of gas; and installed AVG 7 in June, 2005. I uninstalled AVG 7 and
    reinstalled it today from a new program download but that didn't help get my
    Resident Shield back up. I blame the last AVG update that required the reboot
    today. Is there a registry fix that will reactivate the Resident Shield?

    I have an old Tiny Personal Firewall that has been on here for years. So there
    is no Zone Alarm conflict available here.

    | Did you have another anti-virus app installed prior to installing AVG7? Did
    | you uninstall it before installing AVG7? Was it NAV?
    | --
    | ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    |
    | Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    | > Ever since the AVG 7 update today that required a reboot, my AVG Resident
    | > Shield has been deactivated. I've gone to the AVG Forums and been helped,
    | > but the problem defies solution at this time. I have Roxio EZCD 5, so the
    | > EZCD version 6 conflict doesn't seem to apply; and I got an error message
    | > trying to run that fix saying the CDR4 layer isn't on my drive. I did an
    | > AdAware Scan and it found a couple for items about the SahAgent, and I
    | > rebooted and my AVG 7 is no better.

    Uninstall AVG and then remove the Grisoft folder in the Program Files
    folder.
    Restart the computer
    Then reinstall AVG again.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:ZU9Pe.9358$PM3.8810@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    | Uninstall AVG and then remove the Grisoft folder in the Program Files
    | folder.
    | Restart the computer
    | Then reinstall AVG again.

    I did what you said and it didn't help.

    > From your other replies here, it sounds like AVG isn't the problem,
    > hijackware/Trojanware is!

    I think you're right beacause I have AVG 7 and the update went smoothly -
    restart and all.

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:eRYZtRXqFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | > From your other replies here, it sounds like AVG isn't the problem,
    | > hijackware/Trojanware is!
    |
    | I think you're right beacause I have AVG 7 and the update went smoothly -
    | restart and all.

    Nobody has replied to my HJT log at Castle Cops yet. It's been almost 13 hours!
    LOL. Yeesh!

    Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    > > > From your other replies here, it sounds like AVG isn't the problem,
    > > > hijackware/Trojanware is!
    > >
    > > I think you're right beacause I have AVG 7 and the update went smoothly
    > > - restart and all.
    > >
    > Nobody has replied to my HJT log at Castle Cops yet. It's been almost 13
    > hours! LOL. Yeesh!

    Can you post a URL for your thread? [Was this one from you?...
    http://castlecops.com/p423549-spyware.html#423549] A 3-7 day wait is not
    uncommon due to overwhelming demand and shortage of *volunteer* experts
    (many of whom, like the rest of the world, are on holiday).

    Did you read and follow all posted instructions here?
    http://castlecops.com/t102301-Hijackthis_Guidelines_Read_Before_Posting.html

    If your post receives no replies after 5 days, see
    http://castlecops.com/t72484-If_your_log_is_unhandled_five_days_after_posting.html
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Here is the link: does it change from hour to hour? I don't know.
    http://castlecops.com/t131504-AVG_Resident_Shield_wont_load_HiJack_This_log.html

    Well, I've uninstalled AVG 7 after finding some stuff in an online Panda Scan
    and attempting to delete that stuff of malware the scan found. I had to go into
    Safe Mode to delete some of it, and the Windows Protection System makes it very
    difficult to delete programs in the Windows Folder!!! I found a workaround for
    deleting bad files in protected places, but having to resort to that is just
    wrong.

    I've installed AVast Anti-virus and nothing bad has happened yet.

    > Can you post a URL for your thread? [Was this one from you?...
    > http://castlecops.com/p423549-spyware.html#423549] No. But there were two
    dialers found in the Panda scan. I don't do dialup, so how could it hurt me?

    Results of the first Panda Scan that an AdAware scan & an AVG7 scan never
    touched....
    Incident Status Location

    Adware:adware/mediatickets No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\MediaGatewayX.dll
    Adware:adware/wupd No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ide21201.vxd
    Adware:adware/apropos No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\auto_update_uninstall.exe
    Adware:adware/exactsearch No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\blank.gif
    Adware:adware/toprebates No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\webrebates.exe
    Adware:adware/savenow No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\auf0.exe
    Spyware:spyware/istbar No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\shortcuts.txt
    Adware:adware/ncase No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\180sainstallersilsais1.exe
    Adware:adware/tvmedia No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\cmuninstall.bat

    Spyware:spyware/bargainbuddy No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\msxct1.ini
    Spyware:spyware/betterinet No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\INF\banner.inf
    Adware:adware/gator No disinfected C:\GatorPatch.log
    Adware:adware/myway No disinfected
    C:\PROGRAMFILES\MySearch
    Adware:adware/opensite No disinfected
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\OpenSite
    Adware:adware/surfaccuracy No disinfected
    C:\PROGRAMFILES\SurfAccuracy
    Adware:adware/twain-tech No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\THI199F.TMP
    Adware:adware/powerscan No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\PowerScan
    Spyware:spyware/dyfuca No disinfected
    WindowsRegistry
    Dialer:dialer.b No disinfected
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EGROUP
    Dialer:dialer.bjp No disinfected
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET
    SETTINGS\USERAGENT
    Adware:adware/cws No disinfected
    WindowsRegistry
    Adware:Adware/Apropos No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\auto_update_uninstall.exe

    Spyware:Spyware/BetterInet No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\INF\banner.inf
    Adware:Adware/WUpd No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\MediaGatewayX.dll
    Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\13d2d4.msi[unk_0038]
    Adware:Adware/eZula No disinfected
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\13d2d4.msi[unk_0039]
    ******************
    NOTE: the WINDOWS folder was installed under a slightly different name; but the
    name has been changed back to WINDOWS with some editing for this post.

    I'll need to do a rescan by Panda Online to see how successful I've been at
    deleting these entries.

    A 3-7 day wait is
    > not uncommon due to overwhelming demand and shortage of *volunteer*
    > experts (many of whom, like the rest of the world, are on holiday).
    >
    > Did you read and follow all posted instructions here?
    > http://castlecops.com/t102301-Hijackthis_Guidelines_Read_Before_Posting.html
    >
    > If your post receives no replies after 5 days, see

    http://castlecops.com/t72484-If_your_log_is_unhandled_five_days_after_posting.html

    It would probably take more than 8 hours for Panda to scan my entire computer. I
    just quit after it got done doing the C drive....I think.

    > It would probably take more than 8 hours for Panda to scan my entire
    computer. I
    > just quit after it got done doing the C drive....I think.

    I'd have stuck with AVG. Free choice I guess.

Microsoft Error Message Windows