I forgot something

Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I booted sometime
before. I entered bios and selected the drive but during bootup ran into
familiar symptoms:

1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.

2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
reboot.

3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
have none installed.

4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.

Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the correct physical drive
would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive would run.

I experienced this set of syptoms before but can remember the solution. I
think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.
10 answers Last reply
More about forgot something

    Run fdisk, select option 5, then select the number corresponding
    to the disk from which you are trying to boot. Then select option
    4 and make sure the status of the boot partition is set to "A". If
    it isn't, the master boot record of the disk will have to be edited.
    Also, check the "msdos.sys" file in the root directory of the boot
    drive and make sure the "[Paths]" section is correct.

    Ben

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F014CE-CFCD-4D06-B2F6-98B892DAEED7@microsoft.com...
    > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I booted sometime
    > before. I entered bios and selected the drive but during bootup ran into
    > familiar symptoms:
    >
    > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    >
    > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    > reboot.
    >
    > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > have none installed.
    >
    > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    >
    > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the correct physical drive
    > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive would run.
    >
    > I experienced this set of syptoms before but can remember the solution. I
    > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.

    Oops!

    I made a mistake in my post. Corrected version is below.

    Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I had booted sometime
    before. I entered bios and changed drive 1 to drive 3 but during bootup ran
    into
    familiar symptoms:

    1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.

    2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    reboot.

    3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    have no SCSI device installed.

    4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.

    Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the physical drive I had
    selected (drive 3)
    would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive (drive 1) would run.

    I experienced this set of syptoms before but can not remember the solution. I

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > Run fdisk, select option 5, then select the number corresponding
    > to the disk from which you are trying to boot. Then select option
    > 4 and make sure the status of the boot partition is set to "A". If
    > it isn't, the master boot record of the disk will have to be edited.
    > Also, check the "msdos.sys" file in the root directory of the boot
    > drive and make sure the "[Paths]" section is correct.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F014CE-CFCD-4D06-B2F6-98B892DAEED7@microsoft.com...
    > > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I booted sometime
    > > before. I entered bios and selected the drive but during bootup ran into
    > > familiar symptoms:
    > >
    > > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    > >
    > > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    > > reboot.
    > >
    > > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > > have none installed.
    > >
    > > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    > >
    > > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the correct physical drive
    > > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive would run.
    > >
    > > I experienced this set of symptoms before but can not remember the solution. I
    > > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.

    As suggested in my previous reply, use fdisk to confirm that
    drive 3 has a active partition. .

    Ben

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A4538BC-E56F-458B-B0FC-B8360368C182@microsoft.com...
    > Oops!
    >
    > I made a mistake in my post. Corrected version is below.
    >
    > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I had booted sometime
    > before. I entered bios and changed drive 1 to drive 3 but during bootup ran
    > into
    > familiar symptoms:
    >
    > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    >
    > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    > reboot.
    >
    > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > have no SCSI device installed.
    >
    > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    >
    > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the physical drive I had
    > selected (drive 3)
    > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive (drive 1) would run.
    >
    > I experienced this set of syptoms before but can not remember the solution. I
    > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.

    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    > > Run fdisk, select option 5, then select the number corresponding
    > > to the disk from which you are trying to boot. Then select option
    > > 4 and make sure the status of the boot partition is set to "A". If
    > > it isn't, the master boot record of the disk will have to be edited.
    > > Also, check the "msdos.sys" file in the root directory of the boot
    > > drive and make sure the "[Paths]" section is correct.
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >
    > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F014CE-CFCD-4D06-B2F6-98B892DAEED7@microsoft.com...
    > > > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I booted sometime
    > > > before. I entered bios and selected the drive but during bootup ran into
    > > > familiar symptoms:
    > > >
    > > > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    > > >
    > > > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    > > > reboot.
    > > >
    > > > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > > > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > > > have none installed.
    > > >
    > > > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    > > >
    > > > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the correct physical drive
    > > > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive would run.
    > > >
    > > > I experienced this set of symptoms before but can not remember the solution. I
    > > > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.

    Does active imply that W98 will give the drive a letter?
    Does inactive imply that W98 will not give it a letter?

    > Does active imply that W98 will give the drive a letter?

    No.

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B4A64B-864D-49A0-9C52-D0566AB47635@microsoft.com...
    > Does active imply that W98 will give the drive a letter?
    > Does inactive imply that W98 will not give it a letter?

    Partitions are set to "Active" when they are being
    used to start the computer. DOS automatically assigns
    drive letter "C:" to this drive. Inactive partitions are also
    assigned drive letters. The procedure I suggested should
    tell you whether or not a partition is active, which is
    essential for a boot drive.

    Ben

    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    > > As suggested in my previous reply, use fdisk to confirm that
    > > drive 3 has a active partition. .
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >
    > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A4538BC-E56F-458B-B0FC-B8360368C182@microsoft.com...
    > > > Oops!
    > > >
    > > > I made a mistake in my post. Corrected version is below.
    > > >
    > > > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I had booted sometime
    > > > before. I entered bios and changed drive 1 to drive 3 but during bootup ran
    > > > into
    > > > familiar symptoms:
    > > >
    > > > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    > > >
    > > > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had to
    > > > reboot.
    > > >
    > > > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > > > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > > > have no SCSI device installed.
    > > >
    > > > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    > > >
    > > > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the physical drive I had
    > > > selected (drive 3)
    > > > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive (drive 1) would run.
    > > >
    > > > I experienced this set of syptoms before but can not remember the solution. I
    > > > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.
    > > >

    > > > _________________________________________________

    The drive you have selected is not suitable for booting. When the system
    fails to boot from it, the next bootable device is accessed and used
    instead. However, the system on this device is not set up to run with the
    machine in this different configuration, so it fails.

    You need to repair the disk.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Today I tryed to boot a different pysical drive that I booted sometime
    > before. I entered bios and selected the drive but during bootup ran into
    > familiar symptoms:
    >
    > 1 Upon first bootup, the registry was restored so I had to reboot.
    >
    > 2 During the second bootup, a WINDOWS Fatal Exception OD occured so I had
    > reboot.
    >
    > 3 During the third bootup, I selected safe mode and got to the desktop.
    > Under Device Manager, I found various changes such as a SCSI entry but I
    > have none installed.
    >
    > 4 During the fouth bootup, I was instructed to install drivers.
    >
    > Duing all attempts to bootup, I noticed that the correct physical drive
    > would run briefly then the WRONG physical drive would run.
    >
    > I experienced this set of syptoms before but can remember the solution. I
    > think there is something I forgot to do. Any idea what I forgot.

    Assuming I want to boot a drive and it is active, must it be attached to the
    Primary Master cable?
    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B4A64B-864D-49A0-9C52-D0566AB47635@microsoft.com...
    > > Does active imply that W98 will give the drive a letter?
    > > Does inactive imply that W98 will not give it a letter?
    >
    > Partitions are set to "Active" when they are being
    > used to start the computer. DOS automatically assigns
    > drive letter "C:" to this drive. Inactive partitions are also
    > assigned drive letters. The procedure I suggested should
    > tell you whether or not a partition is active, which is
    > essential for a boot drive.
    >
    > Ben

    > > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > >
    > > > As suggested in my previous reply, use fdisk to confirm that
    > > > drive 3 has a active partition. .
    > > >
    > > > Ben

    No, but it often needs to be on HDD-0, wherever that is. If you want to boot
    to the Active Partition on anything other than HDD-0 you would do best to
    install a boot manager on HDD-0. Some BIOS can successfully boot to
    different HDDs, but I've run into nothing but weirdness when I've tried.
    Easier to just install a boot manager.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Assuming I want to boot a drive and it is active, must it be attached to
    > the
    > Primary Master cable?
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    >> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Does active imply that W98 will give the drive a letter?
    >> > Does inactive imply that W98 will not give it a letter?
    >>
    >> Partitions are set to "Active" when they are being
    >> used to start the computer. DOS automatically assigns
    >> drive letter "C:" to this drive. Inactive partitions are also
    >> assigned drive letters. The procedure I suggested should
    >> tell you whether or not a partition is active, which is
    >> essential for a boot drive.
    >>
    >> Ben

    Some motherboards support booting from the primary and secondary ports.
    In your system, drive 3 may correspond to the secondary master.
    Make sure the drive from which you are trying to boot is configured
    properly in the BIOS and is jumpered correctly.

    Ben

Windows