Sign in with
Your question

Soundcard for converting vinyl to MP3

Last response: in Components
May 6, 2006 11:04:11 AM

Any reccomendations for a good quality soundcard to connect an old turntable to my PC? I have lots of stuff on vinyl that I'd like to convert to MP3 but I don't want to spend a fortune (i.e. X-Fi Elite Pro) doing it
May 6, 2006 11:33:12 AM

If you have a mother board with sound, it'll do.

RCA to mini adapter from a turn table plugged into your microphone jack will work fine. I've been using it for years and it has a professional sound.

I have a Numark 1002 mixer and my MB is an Assus p5nd2-sli - came with integrated sound card.

i have did not have to adjust levels from old rig w/ a sound blaster live when i upgraded.

just make sure mic boost is off.

check gain on mixer so that you don't run hot.

my output on my mixer i use is rec out to the mic on the sound card.

the quality for wav files is flawless as i do record cds, but you can just sav your file as an mp3.

i use nero wave recorder. other programs will work fine or better, but nero wave recorder was free.
May 6, 2006 11:40:36 AM

Quote:
If you have a mother board with sound, it'll do.

RCA to mini adapter from a turn table plugged into your microphone jack will work fine. I've been using it for years and it has a professional sound.

I have a Numark 1002 mixer and my MB is an Assus p5nd2-sli - came with integrated sound card.

i have did not have to adjust levels from old rig w/ a sound blaster live when i upgraded.

just make sure mic boost is off.

check gain on mixer so that you don't run hot.

my output on my mixer i use is rec out to the mic on the sound card.

the quality for wav files is flawless as i do record cds, but you can just sav your file as an mp3.

i use nero wave recorder. other programs will work fine or better, but nero wave recorder was free.

What he said. I don't know much about recording sounds onto a PC.
Related resources
May 6, 2006 12:19:27 PM

I have an Audigy2 Platinum. Do you suggest that the on-board sound card of my mobo is better? Because when I connected the turntable to the Audigy card it was almost inaudible: Extremely low volume and too much hiss. I was under the impression that an amplifier was needed (or a sound card with built-in amp like the X-Fi Elite Pro) and that any common sound card was not enough
May 6, 2006 12:46:42 PM

Your audigy 2 is a great card for recording, that is not your problem here...

Record decks usually have a moving coil or magnet cartridge, these give out a really low (<5mV) signal which is heavily biassed towards high frequency sound, as these are much harder to recreate with volume on vinyl. This needs to go through a special pre-amplifier which filters the sound back to its normal shape and amplifies it upto line level.

You could record using the mic in then use Audition (CoolEdit) or something similar to filter it back to normal, but you will get much better quality using something with a dedicated pre-amp (phono stage), you probably already have a hi-fi amp with one of these? Or you can get little dedicated phono amplifiers for about £$ 20 upwards, or ofcourse DJ mixers.

Anyhow, I'd recommend using a decent quality hi-fi amp with a phono stage, then wire the tape (record) out to the line-in on the sound card, with a decent interconnect. As long as your cartstylus are ok quality you should get very good sound.
May 6, 2006 12:52:12 PM

Thanks and I must say I am honored that your 1st ever post was to me :wink:
May 6, 2006 2:41:10 PM

i agree wit the amp if you don't have a mixer with an amp.

ididn't know you were going straight from your record player to your PC.

i tried that years ago... low, hissy, tiny.

a mixer will do and actualyl will server other purposes as well with EQ.

numark DM1002 MKII for the win. it's only $99 or maybe cheaper.
!