usb cd-rom on boot disk

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 25, 2005 8:34:05 PM

here it goes
I have win xp pro on a laptop. I have a usb cd-rom. I partitioned my hard
drive so I could install win98 and use a duel boot configuration.
Partitionmagic created the new partition but I cannot install win98 because
my win98 boot disk does not install drivers for a usb cd-rom.
Any idea????

More about : usb rom boot disk

August 25, 2005 8:41:59 PM

Link from bootdisk.com

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

"IKE" <IKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 12CDE64-994D-4AA2-89D3-CE045A4F2926@microsoft.com...
> here it goes
> I have win xp pro on a laptop. I have a usb cd-rom. I partitioned my
hard
> drive so I could install win98 and use a duel boot configuration.
> Partitionmagic created the new partition but I cannot install win98
because
> my win98 boot disk does not install drivers for a usb cd-rom.
> Any idea????
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 10:54:17 PM

Copy the Win98 folder with all the Cab files from the CD to the drive.
Boot with a 98 boot disk.
At the prompt type the drive with the Win98 folder and press Enter.
Change directories if needed to the path where the folder is and press Enter.
Type setup.exe and press Enter.

Example if you placed the folder on D:\98setup.

d:\
cd d:\98setup
setup.exe

When asked how to install, select custom to select the drive.

When installing 98 after XP for a dual boot system, you will need to do a
little work editing files. It's always recommended to install 98 before XP.
See the dual boot section here for info:
http://thpc.info/

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/