Cannot Rename Downloads

After downloading a movie clip or photo from the web, it won't let me rename
it. It states it cannot rename the file extension. This is recent and I have
never had this trouble before. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot rename downloads

    What's the exact error message?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After downloading a movie clip or photo from the web, it won't let me
    > rename
    > it. It states it cannot rename the file extension. This is recent and I
    > have
    > never had this trouble before. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.

    > It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    > unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.

    That's a standard warning message in that situation.

    Just say yes.

    That isn't a situation of "can't" rename. All you have to do is say Yes.
    That prompt is intended to keep people from inadvertently changing the
    extension when renaming a file. In your case, changing the extension is
    exactly what you want to do.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    > unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> What's the exact error message?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > After downloading a movie clip or photo from the web, it won't let me
    >> > rename
    >> > it. It states it cannot rename the file extension. This is recent and I
    >> > have
    >> > never had this trouble before. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    the extension is "File Type" the main way windows determines how to open the
    file,
    which program to use, and what methods to use within the program.

    AVI files are not just MPG files renamed,
    JPG do not become BMP just by renaming the extension.
    a DOC file does not magically become an EXE program by changing the
    extension.

    You can click yes and change it, but remember what you did so that you can
    undo it if the particular file fails to open
    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    _
    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    > unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > What's the exact error message?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After downloading a movie clip or photo from the web, it won't let me
    > > > rename
    > > > it. It states it cannot rename the file extension. This is recent and
    > > > have
    > > > never had this trouble before. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    I'm thinking I have an insight here. Is it possible that you recently
    changed a setting in Folder Options, View tab, disabling the one that says,
    "Hide extensions for known filetypes"? When that option is enabled,
    extensions aren't shown, so when you rename, all you have to do is type in
    the new file name without regard to the extension, which because it's
    hidden, isn't changed.

    If you now see all extensions--the way it should be, by the way--when you
    stutter-click (two clicks but not too close together), or
    right-click->Rename a file, you have to be careful to leave the existing
    extension intact. To only replace the characters before the DOT.

    Again, you *shouldn't* hide extensions. Doing so may allow malicious
    software to hide itself more effectively. Hiding extensions is how Windows
    is originally set up (its default setting) but we always recommend disabling
    that setting. But now that you can see the extensions, you can also change
    them more easily and inadvertently, especially when renaming the files

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    > unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> What's the exact error message?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > After downloading a movie clip or photo from the web, it won't let me
    >> > rename
    >> > it. It states it cannot rename the file extension. This is recent and I
    >> > have
    >> > never had this trouble before. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    Do not change the filename extension unless you are sure that you know
    exactly what you are doing. The warning is genuine. Why do you want to
    rename these files?

    Changing the extension won't make the file unusable, because you can always
    change it back, provided you remember what it was before you changed it in
    the first place.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It states....."If you change a filename extension, the file may become
    > unusable. Are you sure you want to change it ?" Then yes or no.

Microsoft File Extension Windows