Is it wrong to install a NIC card if you don't plan on Net..

Tags:
  • Network Card
  • Windows
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 26, 2005 10:16:24 AM

I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest to do
this in the summer months. I may Network this Winter, but I don't know yet. I
heard somewhere that it is wrong to have a Network Card installed if you aren't
going to use it. I plan to use it.....sometime...?

I am taking my computer apart this weekend to install a USB 2.0 card, and I
thought adding a Network Card at this time might be beneficial. Maybe I'll take
out the dial up modem. Maybe my telephone company could give me DSL for 1/3rd of
the price of cable broadband by this winter? How bad is half of 1.5Mbps anyway?

More about : wrong install nic card plan net

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:20:46 AM

If you wish, install the card and then disable it in Device Manager. You
can always re-enable it when you're ready to use it.

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:YsyPe.35068$Hx4.17140@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest
>to do
> this in the summer months. I may Network this Winter, but I don't know
> yet. I
> heard somewhere that it is wrong to have a Network Card installed if you
> aren't
> going to use it. I plan to use it.....sometime...?
>
> I am taking my computer apart this weekend to install a USB 2.0 card, and
> thought adding a Network Card at this time might be beneficial. Maybe I'll
> take
> out the dial up modem. Maybe my telephone company could give me DSL for
> 1/3rd of
> the price of cable broadband by this winter? How bad is half of 1.5Mbps
> anyway?

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:35:36 PM

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:

> Maybe my telephone company
> could give me DSL for 1/3rd of the price of cable broadband by this
> winter? How bad is half of 1.5Mbps anyway?

Roughly 20 times better/faster than dial up.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
August 26, 2005 7:49:55 PM

Izzat so?

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
> I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest
> to do this in the summer months.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:49:56 PM

> Izzat so?

Yeah, zat's so. It's less likely to freeze.......

<GD&RVVF>

> Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
> > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
safest
> > to do this in the summer months.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:32:35 PM

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
> > > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
> > > safest to do this in the summer months.
> > Izzat so?
>
> Yeah, zat's so. It's less likely to freeze.......
>
> <GD&RVVF>

<groan>
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:09:22 PM

Move indoors, Candlin, for heaven's sake, or into a Bear's cave! You
too, Cymbal Man Freq!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > Izzat so?
|
| Yeah, zat's so. It's less likely to freeze.......
|
| <GD&RVVF>
|

| > Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
| > > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
| safest
| > > to do this in the summer months.

August 26, 2005 10:55:45 PM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:49:55 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest
>> to do this in the summer months.
>
>Izzat so?

Just a wild guess, but I think he's referring to chances of static
buildup/discharge.

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

dak wrote:
> > > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
> > > safest to do this in the summer months.
> >
> > Izzat so?
> >
> Just a wild guess, but I think he's referring to chances of static
> buildup/discharge.

Perhaps but, summer or winter, he should be wearing an anti-static cuff or
gloves when he installs the NIC anyway.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:40:51 AM

Yes, with the humidity at 20% here indoors in the winter, anything I touch is
likely to set off a static discharge that can make my little sound effects
buzzer sound off from 10 feet away. It might be a static shockwave that goes
through the air!?! I always have to wait for a January thaw with a one day
rainstorm before the cold-front blizzard slices through the state again.

When the dewpoint outside is 32 degrees or less, I have severe problems with
static in my apartment. Running the hot shower for half an hour to bring up the
indoor humidity only decreases the static risk for an hour or so.

Heck, I was in a warehouse store the other day (BJ's), it had concrete floors,
and every bag of chips I touched that was sitting on the metal racks gave me a
severe static shock. The dew point was nowhere near freezing in there even with
air conditioning. So I must be carrying around my own personal static potential
even in the summer. My car door gives me a shock everytime I touch it after a
ride.

Thanks for the instruction to disable the NIC card in Device Manager, and to use
the anti-static strap. Now I've got to find the NIC card. I buried it somewhere
a couple of years ago and it has to be unearthed.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:40:52 AM

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for the instruction to disable the NIC card in Device Manager, and
> to use the anti-static strap. Now I've got to find the NIC card. I buried
> it somewhere a couple of years ago and it has to be unearthed.

You'll want to seek driver updates first thing after getting it installed if
it's that old.
--
~PA Bear
Anonymous

Yikes! But, I see you do live indoors. OK, then, wait for a thaw, or use
Harper's & Bear's tricks. Good luck with it!

--
message news:D wPPe.40448$EX.36174@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
| Yes, with the humidity at 20% here indoors in the winter, anything I
touch is
| likely to set off a static discharge that can make my little sound
effects
| buzzer sound off from 10 feet away. It might be a static shockwave
that goes
| through the air!?! I always have to wait for a January thaw with a one
day
| rainstorm before the cold-front blizzard slices through the state
again.

| When the dewpoint outside is 32 degrees or less, I have severe
problems with
| static in my apartment. Running the hot shower for half an hour to
bring up the
| indoor humidity only decreases the static risk for an hour or so.
|
| Heck, I was in a warehouse store the other day (BJ's), it had concrete
floors,
| and every bag of chips I touched that was sitting on the metal racks
gave me a
| severe static shock. The dew point was nowhere near freezing in there
even with
| air conditioning. So I must be carrying around my own personal static
potential
| even in the summer. My car door gives me a shock everytime I touch it
after a
| ride.
|

| Thanks for the instruction to disable the NIC card in Device Manager,
and to use
| the anti-static strap. Now I've got to find the NIC card. I buried it
somewhere
| a couple of years ago and it has to be unearthed.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:18:10 PM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> I've also got a feeling the new Network Card is adding yet another 20
seconds onto
> the bootup time

You are correct.

Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
will speed up the boot process.

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.
Click to select Properties
Select the IP Address tab, select Specify, and assign an internal IP address
such as 192.168.0.10, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:58:33 AM

***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
> ***Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.***
> Click to select Properties
> Select the IP Address tab, select Specify, and assign an internal IP address
> such as 192.168.0.10, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 12:51:16 PM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:D ASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
> > message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > >
> > > I've also got a feeling the new Network Card is adding yet another 20
> > seconds onto
> > > the bootup time
> >
> > You are correct.
> >
> > Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
> > will speed up the boot process.
> >
> > Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
>

> ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
> > ***Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.***

Click Add
Click Protocol
Click Add
Click Microsoft
Click TCP/IP
Click OK

> > Click to select Properties
> > Select the IP Address tab, select Specify, and assign an internal IP
address
> > such as 192.168.0.10, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:51:47 PM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
news:o 9EAjpXrFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
> message news:D ASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>
>> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote
>>> in message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

>>> You are correct.
>>>
>>> Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
>>> will speed up the boot process.
>>>
>>> Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
>>

>> ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
>>> ***Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.***
>
> Click Add
> Click Protocol
> Click Add
> Click Microsoft
> Click TCP/IP
> Click OK

****This far just gave me a second Dial-Up Adapter. My Network Card is Disabled,
or else my machine will only boot into Safe Mode. Should I go into Safe Mode
first, enable the card, and then try these instructions?****

>>> Click to select Properties
>>> Select the IP Address tab, select Specify, and assign an internal
>>> IP address such as 192.168.0.10, with a subnet mask of
>>> 255.255.255.0
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:35:59 AM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:T01Re.52120$Hx4.12263@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> news:o 9EAjpXrFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> > "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
> > message news:D ASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >>
> >> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> >> ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
> >
> > Click Add
> > Click Protocol
> > Click Add
> > Click Microsoft
> > Click TCP/IP
> > Click OK
>
> ****This far just gave me a second Dial-Up Adapter. My Network Card is
Disabled,
> or else my machine will only boot into Safe Mode. Should I go into Safe
Mode
> first, enable the card, and then try these instructions?****

Delete it again.

You should have ended up with

TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP -> (Brand Name) Fast Ethernet Adapter

The instructions are laid out here http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm

!