Is it wrong to install a NIC card if you don't plan on Net..

I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest to do
this in the summer months. I may Network this Winter, but I don't know yet. I
heard somewhere that it is wrong to have a Network Card installed if you aren't
going to use it. I plan to use it.....sometime...?

I am taking my computer apart this weekend to install a USB 2.0 card, and I
thought adding a Network Card at this time might be beneficial. Maybe I'll take
out the dial up modem. Maybe my telephone company could give me DSL for 1/3rd of
the price of cable broadband by this winter? How bad is half of 1.5Mbps anyway?
16 answers Last reply
More about wrong install card plan

    If you wish, install the card and then disable it in Device Manager. You
    can always re-enable it when you're ready to use it.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:YsyPe.35068$Hx4.17140@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:

    > Maybe my telephone company
    > could give me DSL for 1/3rd of the price of cable broadband by this
    > winter? How bad is half of 1.5Mbps anyway?

    Roughly 20 times better/faster than dial up.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Izzat so?

    > Izzat so?

    Yeah, zat's so. It's less likely to freeze.......

    <GD&RVVF>

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > > Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    > > > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
    > > > safest to do this in the summer months.
    > > Izzat so?
    >
    > Yeah, zat's so. It's less likely to freeze.......
    >
    > <GD&RVVF>

    <groan>

    Move indoors, Candlin, for heaven's sake, or into a Bear's cave! You
    too, Cymbal Man Freq!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:49:55 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >> I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is safest
    >> to do this in the summer months.
    >
    >Izzat so?

    Just a wild guess, but I think he's referring to chances of static
    buildup/discharge.

    --
    dak
    My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

    dak wrote:
    > > > I don't want install this Network Card in the winter months, it is
    > > > safest to do this in the summer months.
    > >
    > > Izzat so?
    > >
    > Just a wild guess, but I think he's referring to chances of static
    > buildup/discharge.

    Perhaps but, summer or winter, he should be wearing an anti-static cuff or
    gloves when he installs the NIC anyway.

    Yes, with the humidity at 20% here indoors in the winter, anything I touch is
    likely to set off a static discharge that can make my little sound effects
    buzzer sound off from 10 feet away. It might be a static shockwave that goes
    through the air!?! I always have to wait for a January thaw with a one day
    rainstorm before the cold-front blizzard slices through the state again.

    When the dewpoint outside is 32 degrees or less, I have severe problems with
    static in my apartment. Running the hot shower for half an hour to bring up the
    indoor humidity only decreases the static risk for an hour or so.

    Heck, I was in a warehouse store the other day (BJ's), it had concrete floors,
    and every bag of chips I touched that was sitting on the metal racks gave me a
    severe static shock. The dew point was nowhere near freezing in there even with
    air conditioning. So I must be carrying around my own personal static potential
    even in the summer. My car door gives me a shock everytime I touch it after a
    ride.

    Thanks for the instruction to disable the NIC card in Device Manager, and to use
    the anti-static strap. Now I've got to find the NIC card. I buried it somewhere
    a couple of years ago and it has to be unearthed.

    Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
    <snip>
    > Thanks for the instruction to disable the NIC card in Device Manager, and
    > to use the anti-static strap. Now I've got to find the NIC card. I buried
    > it somewhere a couple of years ago and it has to be unearthed.

    You'll want to seek driver updates first thing after getting it installed if
    it's that old.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Yikes! But, I see you do live indoors. OK, then, wait for a thaw, or use
    Harper's & Bear's tricks. Good luck with it!

    --
    message news:DwPPe.40448$EX.36174@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > I've also got a feeling the new Network Card is adding yet another 20
    seconds onto
    > the bootup time

    You are correct.

    Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
    will speed up the boot process.

    Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
    Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.
    Click to select Properties
    Select the IP Address tab, select Specify, and assign an internal IP address
    such as 192.168.0.10, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

    ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?

    message news:dASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    > > message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > > >
    > > > I've also got a feeling the new Network Card is adding yet another 20
    > > seconds onto
    > > > the bootup time
    > >
    > > You are correct.
    > >
    > > Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
    > > will speed up the boot process.
    > >
    > > Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
    >

    > ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
    > > ***Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.***

    Click Add
    Click Protocol
    Click Add
    Click Microsoft
    Click TCP/IP
    Click OK

    > "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    > message news:dASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    >>
    >> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote
    >>> in message news:zuAQe.42819$EX.24167@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    >>> You are correct.
    >>>
    >>> Setting your Ethernet adapter to a non-routable IP address
    >>> will speed up the boot process.
    >>>
    >>> Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Configuration
    >>

    >> ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
    >>> ***Click to highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card.***
    >
    > Click Add
    > Click Protocol
    > Click Add
    > Click Microsoft
    > Click TCP/IP
    > Click OK

    ****This far just gave me a second Dial-Up Adapter. My Network Card is Disabled,
    or else my machine will only boot into Safe Mode. Should I go into Safe Mode
    first, enable the card, and then try these instructions?****

    message news:T01Re.52120$Hx4.12263@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    > > "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    > > message news:dASQe.21922$PM3.5127@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > >>
    > >> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > >> ***This following line is missing**** What should I do now?
    > >
    > > Click Add
    > > Click Protocol
    > > Click Add
    > > Click Microsoft
    > > Click TCP/IP
    > > Click OK
    >
    > ****This far just gave me a second Dial-Up Adapter. My Network Card is
    Disabled,
    > or else my machine will only boot into Safe Mode. Should I go into Safe
    Mode
    > first, enable the card, and then try these instructions?****

    Delete it again.

    You should have ended up with

    TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> (Brand Name) Fast Ethernet Adapter

    The instructions are laid out here http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm

Network Card Windows Product