Why dont they cater for agp

Daveyboy

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Hi, this is just a moan really, I want to upgrade my radeon x850xt - Want to go for a 1900xtc, the trouble is I have to get a new mobo because its PCIe only. Last time I heard PCIe has no performance improvements over AGP so why cant they make AGP versions of the card like they did with the x850? I'm pretty sure loads of people still have AGP motherboards.

The graphics card alone costs a load then I've got to fork out another £70 or so on a half decent mobo........

.... End whinge.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
NVidia are catering for the AGP slot still..... Or rather card manufcturers using Nvidia are.

If you want an NVidia card though.....

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
NVidia are catering for the AGP slot still.....

Actually that would be Gainward, not Nvidia themselves. The problem is that those high end AGP cards are only sold overseas and they cost so much money that you would be better off getting a new motherboard and a new PCI E video card.

I think there latest and greatest AGP is a 7800GTX with all 24 pipes enabled but that thing is over $500 US dollars :roll:

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
ah heck. You responded before I could add my little "card manufacturers" bit in....

In case you hadn;t noticed, we are both in good old blighty, so your point is a little mute. As for the cost, yes, they are a rip off, but if you've got a system that you need tonreplace, CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, it's still a lot cheaper to upgrade the one component ratehr than going PCI-express and having to do the lot.

A lot less hassle too....

sparrow560

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I thought that the price of the 7800GT dropped to 300$ or maybe I was wrong?
anyway I have an AGP and it's frustrating searching for a card that doesn't cost so much money (In my country the price is much bigger), so to tell you the truth I don't think IM going to have a new card untill Windows Vista comes out anyways...
They really should keep making those AGPs or release two version; One for AGP and one for PCI
right now, Daveyboy, we're pretty much in the same situation... :(