HDD partitioning in new build ... the XP limit!

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I am making a new pc with 160GB HDD. I want to partition it into two 80GB
partitions. Anyway, I have XP-Pro, an older version pre-SP1. It only sees 137GB or the HDD. I am ready to forge ahead on the XP install but want to make sure I do this right.

Can I go ahead and create an 80GB partition and then later, after installing XP SP1 and 2, go back and access all 160GB to make my second 80GB partition?

Anything wrong with this approach?

Thanks,
Rob

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I guess I'll have to get Partition Magic

While this is a viable option, for a free (as in speech and beer) and much more competent tool, try the gparted livecd.
You get to brag to people that you played with linux AND have an easy-to-use interface (essentially the same as partition magic)!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Cool! I will forge ahead and then post my experience.
I guess I'll have to get Partition Magic

You don't need Partition magic either.. just use the partition tool that comes with windows and make an 80GB partition- after you install SP1 Windows will be able to see your full drive. There is also a registry fix you can which will allow Windows PreSP1 to see the full drive so you can install windows and then partition the 2nd 80GB using Drive Management before you install anything.
OR
Use the BootCD the other poster suggested... Linux is well just cool :p.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Things to think about. Couple of advantages to Partition Magic.

1. It has Drive Mapper that looks for all programs associated with a particular Dive letter and then when the Drive letter changes, it will change where these programs will look for the Drive. Very usefull when changing the Drive letter on an Optical drive, CD or DVD.

2. It allows you to easily change the size of the Dirves.

3. I've never lost any data on a Drive when working with Partition Magic other than the Drive I'm working on when Formating.

One problem is that I don't think the newer versons let you install the program on more than one machine, but not certain.

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Well, I forged ahead and formed a 80GB partition with my pre-SP1 XP. I installed XP on this.

I have a copy of SP2 floating around so I installed the SP2 upgrade.
Is it ok to do this without first installing SP1??

Do I need to do both SP1 and SP2, in sequence?

At least now, I can see the whole 160GB of HDD.

Rob

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well, I forged ahead and formed a 80GB partition with my pre-SP1 XP. I installed XP on this.

I have a copy of SP2 floating around so I installed the SP2 upgrade.
Is it ok to do this without first installing SP1??

Do I need to do both SP1 and SP2, in sequence?

At least now, I can see the whole 160GB of HDD.

Rob

All MS service packs include ALL previous upgrades and patches so you can go from XP to XP SP2 no problem.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
you should slipstream your sp2 with XP and put it on a disc so you dont have to worry about stuff like that for future installs. you can find easy instructions with google and slipsteam XP sp2

davidflet9

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
you could request an SP2 CD from microsoft i think they charge about £5 in UK for the postage and CD or you could download XP SP2 from a download site, this is legal as long as you already own a legal XP code. Codes work for all service pack CD's just make sure you get the correct one (OEM, Retail, Upgrade versions etc) then you will have no more worries about HDD partitioning. Also you will then be able to fully partition your HDD during install so you wont have to change drive letters etc when windows first boots up