messages on server not available

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 27, 2005 8:47:16 PM

Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
browse through old messages and could access all of them.

Many thanks Steve

More about : messages server

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:47:17 PM

> Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> browse through old messages and could access all of them.

Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.
August 27, 2005 9:33:44 PM

in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out

when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
longer on server and puts a line through the heading

many thanks Steve

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
> > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> > browse through old messages and could access all of them.
>
> Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
> deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

August 27, 2005 9:33:45 PM

> in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
> empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out
>
> when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
> longer on server and puts a line through the heading

I think that somewhere there's a option for keeping messages no longer
available on the server, but sorry I've forgotten where.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:33:45 PM

Moonraker wrote:

> when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> no longer on server and puts a line through the heading

And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
gone.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
August 27, 2005 9:33:45 PM

I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
Therefore...

(1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
(2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
rules".
(3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
(4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
click the RESET button.
(5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
Messages.
(6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"

Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".

Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...

(1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
(2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
(3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o E3h4UyqFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
one,
| empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
out

| when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
no
| longer on server and puts a line through the heading
|
| many thanks Steve
|
| "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
| > > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I
used to
| > > browse through old messages and could access all of them.
| >
| > Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have
the
| > deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:33:46 PM

(2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> rules".

Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG posts.
Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
it.)

--
| (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
| > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
more
| > rules".
|
| Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
posts.
| Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:21:32 AM

Never been a problem for me.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
> moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
> will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
> it.)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> | > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
> more
> | > rules".
> |
> | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
> posts.
> | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User

August 28, 2005 12:37:48 AM

I guess that is it, I have relisted messages by date order and can read
messages back to 24-08-05 the next listed is a jump to 29-05-05 (for some
reason) and that I cannot read.

ALL of my own posts I can read right back to>>26-01-05. Why are these still
on the server?

How is it that last time I used this general site I could read all of the
messages, going back years.

They hold so much useful info.

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
> Moonraker wrote:
>
> > when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> > no longer on server and puts a line through the heading
>
> And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
> keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
> gone.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

August 28, 2005 1:07:11 AM

Thanks for your help

Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
click the RESET button.
(5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
Messages.

I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"

I only have inbox >> drafts

> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
> Therefore...
>
> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> rules".
> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
> click the RESET button.
> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> Messages.
> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
>
> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
>
> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
>
> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> news:o E3h4UyqFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
> one,
> | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
> out
> |
> | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> no
> | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
> |
> | many thanks Steve
> |
> | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
> used to
> | >
> | > Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have
> the
> | > deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:07:12 AM

Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Thanks for your help
>
> Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
> &
> click the RESET button.
> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> Messages.
>
> I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
>
> I only have inbox >> drafts
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
>> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
>> Therefore...
>>
>> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
>> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
>> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
>> rules".
>> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
>> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
>> click the RESET button.
>> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
>> Messages.
>> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
>>
>> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
>> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
>> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
>> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
>>
>> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
>>
>> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
>> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
>> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
>>

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> news:o E3h4UyqFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
>> one,
>> | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
>> out
>> |
>> | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
>> no
>> | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
>> |
>> | many thanks Steve
>> |
>> | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
>> used to

>> the

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:07:12 AM

You are welcome. I don't know what's going on, then, & it may be best to
leave you in Bear's hands. Seems you need an update.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
| Thanks for your help
|
| Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
tab, &
| click the RESET button.
| (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
| Messages.
|
| I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
|
| I only have inbox >> drafts

| > I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
| > away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
| > Therefore...
| >
| > (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
| > (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule
| > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
more
| > rules".
| > (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a
time".
| > (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
&
| > click the RESET button.
| > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
| > Messages.
| > (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
| >
| > Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
| > machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
| > occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
| > compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
| >
| > Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
says...

| > (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
| > (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
| > (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
| > news:o E3h4UyqFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the
top
| > one,
| > | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are
greyed
| > out
| > |
| > | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they
are
| > no
| > | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
| > |
| > | many thanks Steve
| > |
| > | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
| > used to

| > the

| > |
| > |

August 28, 2005 2:46:44 AM

Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
sent items and deleted items.

I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
find and headers) or by "ctrl W"

I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
pane.

news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
tab,
> > &
> > click the RESET button.
> > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> > Messages.
> >
> > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
> >
> > I only have inbox >> drafts
> >

> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
> >> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
> >> Therefore...
> >>
> >> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
> >> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> >> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> >> rules".
> >> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
> >> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
> >> click the RESET button.
> >> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> >> Messages.
> >> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
> >>
> >> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
> >> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
> >> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
> >> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
> >>
> >> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
says...

> >> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
> >> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
> >> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
> >>

> >> --
> >> Thanks or Good Luck,
> >> There may be humor in this post, and,
> >> Naturally, you will not sue,
> >> should things get worse after this,
> >> PCR
> >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o E3h4UyqFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> one,
> >> out

> >> no

> >> used to

> >> the

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:46:45 AM

If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders pane
under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
msnews.microsoft.public). See
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setup.... I think
you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and satisfying
than the method you're using now, MR.

Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:

1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.

2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your machine
should have.

To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
> sent items and deleted items.
>
> I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
> find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>
> I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> pane.

> news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS-MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
> > > tab, &
> > > click the RESET button.
> > > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> > > Messages.
> > >
> > > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
> > >
> > > I only have inbox >> drafts
> > >

> > > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:46:45 AM

Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still clear
how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
> sent items and deleted items.
>
> I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
> find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>
> I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> pane.

> news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
>> your
>> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your help
>> >
>> > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
> tab,
>> > &
>> > click the RESET button.
>> > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
>> > Messages.
>> >
>> > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
>> >
>> > I only have inbox >> drafts
>> >

>> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

> says...

> greyed

August 28, 2005 3:40:24 AM

Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer version
of OE / IE and other programs then.

Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.

I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens document"
and could just save the whole lot.

However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them into
one folder.

It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site to
if poss'

I would appreciate your advise

Cheers Steve
..
> If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
pane
> under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
> msnews.microsoft.public). See
> http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setup.... I think
> you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
satisfying
> than the method you're using now, MR.
>
> Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
> 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
> versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:
>
> 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
>
> 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
machine
> should have.
>
> To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
> and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
including
> Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:

kexpress
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Moonraker wrote:
> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
outbox,
> > sent items and deleted items.
> >
> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
between
> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> >
> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> > pane.
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> > > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS-MVP Shell/User
> > >
> > > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

Rule
All

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:40:25 AM

Please begin a new thread here with these new questions.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
> windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer
> version of OE / IE and other programs then.
>
> Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
> etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.
>
> I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens
> document" and could just save the whole lot.
>
> However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them
> into one folder.
>
> It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site
> to if poss'
>
> I would appreciate your advise
>
> Cheers Steve
> .
> > If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
> > pane under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
> > msnews.microsoft.public). See
> > http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setup.... I think
> > you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
> > satisfying than the method you're using now, MR.
> >
> > Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
> > 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much
> > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update
> > twice ASAP:
> >
> > 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
> >
> > 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
> > machine should have.
> >
> > To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
> > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
> > anything, including Windows Updates. This is especially important in
> > Win98. --
> > OE6-specific newsgroup:

> kexpress
> > OE General newsgroup:
> >
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >

> > Moonraker wrote:
> > > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
> > > outbox, sent items and deleted items.
> > >
> > > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
> > > between find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> > >
> > > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left
> > > hand pane.
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

August 28, 2005 3:08:26 PM

Let me explain,

Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
has loaded allsorts on here.

We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason to
change to be honest

At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
page I have FILE>EDIT..etc

Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
HEADERS

For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as if
my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
next crisis.

The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people, including
my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.

As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real need
to worry about changing anything now .

Many thanks Steve

> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
clear
> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
outbox,
> > sent items and deleted items.
> >
> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
between
> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> >
> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> > pane.
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> >> your
> >> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

> > tab,

> > says...

> > greyed

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:08:27 PM

Well, the discussion was originally about how to retrieve your missing
messages, how to reset the newsgroup, and we've told you how. What I don't
understand, really, is how you can see the Local Folders and not the
Newsgroup accounts. Unless... Are you not "Subscribing" to the newsgroups?
Just signing in via the Ctrl-W dialogue and then letting it disappear? But
in that case, you're resetting the NG every time you go there. I fell that
there's some important piece of information about your layout that I'm
aren't comprehending on this side. Really, it's no big deal to change the
layout of your OE temporarily in order to do that, and then change it back
to what you're used to. But hey, it's your system.

I strongly doubt that you will be able to upgrade *that* machine to XP. What
are its basic specs (CPU speed, RAM, HDD size)?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o 9mDPi7qFHA.3736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Let me explain,
>
> Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
> crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
> windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
> has loaded allsorts on here.
>
> We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
> change to be honest
>
> At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
> page I have FILE>EDIT..etc
>
> Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
> HEADERS
>
> For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
> manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
> CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as
> if
> my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
> next crisis.
>
> The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
> with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
> including
> my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
>
> As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
> need
> to worry about changing anything now .
>
> Many thanks Steve

>> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
>> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
> clear
>> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
>> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
> outbox,
>> > sent items and deleted items.
>> >
>> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
> between
>> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>> >
>> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
>> > pane.
>> >

>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > news:o Pas3e0qFHA.1572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> > tab,

> &

>> > says...

> top
>> > greyed

> are

> have

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:49:37 PM

Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a thrashing! He
went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it somewhere
too! Well, I can't find that, but...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test of
it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?

--
news:o CUuiu2qFHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Never been a problem for me.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
| > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the
message
| > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I
understand
| > it.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message
Rule to
| > more
| > |
| > | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to
NG
| > posts.
| > | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:49:38 PM

Interesting article. Maybe I'll play with it, too. Next decade, when I have
the time, <g>.

Alas, I suspect poor George has been lost at sea. I haven't been able to
track him down, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, last I heard, he was headed
to sea, over a year ago, expecting some real good fishing. Maybe the fishing
was *too* good and he couldn't make himself stop hauling them in, until he
swamped the boat.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a thrashing! He
> went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it somewhere
> too! Well, I can't find that, but...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
> OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
>
> I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test of
> it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> news:o CUuiu2qFHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | Never been a problem for me.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
> | > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the
> message
> | > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I
> understand
> | > it.)
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Rule to
> processing
> | > more
> | > |
> NG
> | > posts.
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:23:35 PM

Moonraker wrote:
> Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
> crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
> windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
> has loaded allsorts on here.
>
> We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
> to change to be honest

Running a secure-as-possible machine isn't a good reason?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
August 28, 2005 8:31:30 PM

Repost:

Moonraker wrote:
> Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> browse through old messages and could access all of them.
>
> Many thanks Steve
August 28, 2005 11:25:30 PM

No you are right, I am not subscribing to ANY newsgroups, do I need to, what
is/are the advantages.

As with the original question, It was more to find out why at the beginning
of this year , as far as I know I could look back for ever and read old
messages that related to my problems and learn from them.

Then after several months I post another message re :- MS Paint which you
guys have know fixed, And as ever I am truly grateful and humbled by your
free help, I is very rare that anybody is willing to help for no return,
thank you.

It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
wondered why this was,

After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
server, BUT could read ALL of my own messages back as far as Jan this
year,(although my messages are "watched" highlighted in red so maybe that is
the difference) I could not understand why the headings where being shown in
the newsgroup window, Why aren't the headings just deleted from the list
when the messages TIME EXPIRE.

Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I can
in my e-mail Folders, When I try to Look at the messages I get the "no
longer on the server message" and a line is put though the heading, but it
does not disappear nor can I delete it.

Then next time I open the newsgroup the headings are back again, without the
line though it, but I still cannot read the message ,OF COARSE.

I just wanted to know what was going on that's all.

Why did I want to know, WELL, I think that the more a novice like myself
learns about anything to do with computers the more he will understand about
other things to do with computers.

You guys are so amazing, even if, as you must, you get a little bit
frustrated now and then by folk like me who compared to you know very
little.

Some times you are "talking" to people who do not know what you are on
about, and they not only have to learn how to fix something, but to a large
extent are having to do it blindfolded.

Even though I do not see a real need to change to how you suggest, I am ALW
AYS more than willing to take your advise and have a go.

Hope this clears something's up. And I will probably be back to ask some
more question, if I may

Many Thanks Steve
> [...]
> > next crisis.
> >
> > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
do
> > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
> > including
> > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
> >
> > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
> > need
> > to worry about changing anything now .
> >
> > Many thanks Steve
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
> >> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
> > clear
> >> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but
> >> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

August 28, 2005 11:25:31 PM

As you note in the next message, you *are* subscribed to at least a few
groups. I'm a bit too frazzled right now to get into the differences between
subscribing and just dropping in without subscribing. I'm still having a
hard time picturing what your OE layout looks like, why you can't get to the
Reset option for an NG. As for deleting headers, you should be able to do
that. However, the whole newsgroup system is a complicated one, and I'm
simply not up to attempting a decent tutorial. In all, with everything
you've described, I suspect your installation is corrupted, but it may
simply be a question of layout and the way you set up your options. Or maybe
we're just stuck in terminology.

As you say, it can be difficult to figure out what's happening on the other
end when we're offering advice here, but in fact, that's *the* main
qualification for an MVP and others of the same ilk. Being able to visualize
layouts, figuring out what the correspondent is trying to describe when
there are so many possible configurations, not to mention the infinite
possibilities for confusion offered by the language... That's what we're
here for, what we really enjoy doing, particularly in the groups where
"consumer" users abound.

But, congratulations! You've managed to stump me. Not sure I could finally
figure out everything that's going on for you without seeing it in person.
Alas, I'm getting more and more cramped for time, so I'm going to have to
leave you now, at least on this particular issue. It's not just the time,
it's my brain. It's getting too stuffed with various projects I have going
on, and I can't make it settle down and suss out your issue properly. Sorry.

Oh, and you didn't respond to anything I asked about your plan to upgrade to
XP.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> would
>> > manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page,
> or
>> > CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and
>> > as
>> > if
>> > my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have
> my
>> > next crisis.
>> >
>> > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
> do
>> > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
>> > including
>> > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my
>> > own.
>> >
>> > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real

Moonraker wrote:
<snip>
> It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
> wondered why this was,
>
> After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
> server...

OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for the
MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the newsserver
for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is to Copy them
to a user-created local folder.

> Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
> can in my e-mail Folders...

Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:

OE General newsgroup:
*Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
OE6-specific newsgroup:

*Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
newsserver.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
August 28, 2005 11:25:32 PM

They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
that.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

news:o GI7D9ArFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Moonraker wrote:
> <snip>
>> It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
>> wondered why this was,
>>
>> After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
>> server...
>
> OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
> the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
> newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the
> newsserver for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is
> to Copy them to a user-created local folder.
>
>> Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
>> can in my e-mail Folders...
>
> Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
> participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:
>
> OE General newsgroup:
> *Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
> OE6-specific newsgroup:
>
> *Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
> newsserver.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:25:33 PM

AFAIK 90 days was always the default (though many NGs displayed far older
messages). At one point (post-Blaster), they'd lowered it to 30 days but
John Eddy upped it back to 90+ earlier this year.
--
~Robear

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
> that.
> <snip>
> > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
> > the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:25:34 PM

Ahh, OK, thanks.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> AFAIK 90 days was always the default (though many NGs displayed far older
> messages). At one point (post-Blaster), they'd lowered it to 30 days but
> John Eddy upped it back to 90+ earlier this year.
> --
> ~Robear
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
>> that.
>> <snip>
>> > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
>> > the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:38:46 PM

A Sea Dirge

Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

--
| Interesting article. Maybe I'll play with it, too. Next decade, when I
have
| the time, <g>.
|
| Alas, I suspect poor George has been lost at sea. I haven't been able
| track him down, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, last I heard, he was
headed
| to sea, over a year ago, expecting some real good fishing. Maybe the
fishing
| was *too* good and he couldn't make himself stop hauling them in,
until he
| swamped the boat.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a
thrashing! He
| > went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it
somewhere
| > too! Well, I can't find that, but...
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
| > OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
| >
| > I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test
of
| > it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > news:o CUuiu2qFHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > | Never been a problem for me.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > message
| > understand

| > Rule to
| > processing
| > | > |
| > NG
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

August 29, 2005 12:25:47 AM

OH!! Have just looked at the "newsgroup subscription window, and, clicked on
the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the six or
seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98........

Cheers Steve

> [...]
> > next crisis.
> >
> > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
do
> > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
> > including
> > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
> >
> > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
> > need
> > to worry about changing anything now .
> >
> > Many thanks Steve
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
> >> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
> > clear
> >> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but
> >> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

August 29, 2005 12:25:48 AM

And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the
> six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98
August 29, 2005 1:30:39 AM

In a word "no there don't"

> And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Moonraker wrote:
clicked
> > on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the
> > six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:30:40 AM

[That's three words!]

Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.

If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.

Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
(File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> In a word "no there don't"
>
> > And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
> > --
> > Moonraker wrote:
> > > clicked on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am
> > > subscribed to the six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do
> > > with win98
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:30:41 AM

Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten about
the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became clear.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> [That's three words!]
>
> Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
>
> If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
> Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
> damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
>
> Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
> (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
> Identities).
>
> To avoid such corruption in future:
>
> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>
> Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
> Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
>
> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> Moonraker wrote:
>> In a word "no there don't"
>>
>> > And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
>> > --

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:30:42 AM

I *hate* when that happens...

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
> about the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all
> became clear.
August 29, 2005 2:12:29 AM

Sorry if I have done something wrong or in the wrong place, I can assure you
that I have learned many things from this thread.

I will make sure that I post on the OE newsgroup in future.

Sorry,sorry sorry.

Many thanks Steve.

news:o GI7D9ArFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Moonraker wrote:
> <snip>
> > It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
> > wondered why this was,
> >
> > After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
> > server...
>
> OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
the
> MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
> newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the
newsserver
> for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is to Copy
them
> to a user-created local folder.
>
> > Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
> > can in my e-mail Folders...
>
> Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
> participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:
>
> OE General newsgroup:
> *Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
> OE6-specific newsgroup:

kexpress

> *Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
> newsserver.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

August 30, 2005 1:22:37 AM

Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.

I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now, and
reset the newsgroup.

The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
set.

Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise dude
I think.

That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.

Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
dog at a bone when I don't understand something.

Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
post/crisis/message.

See you later Steve

> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
about
> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
clear.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User

> > [That's three words!]
> >
> > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
> >
> > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
> > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
> > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
> >
> > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
> > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
messages
> > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
> > Identities).
> >
> > To avoid such corruption in future:
> >
> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> > folders created for this purpose.
> >
> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
> >
> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
manual
> > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
> >
> > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
> > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
> >
> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >
> > Moonraker wrote:
> >> In a word "no there don't"

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:22:38 AM

You are welcome. It couldn't have been my instructions, though, or you'd
have more than a skimpy 300! Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

--
> [...]
| > >
| > > To avoid such corruption in future:
| > >
| > > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to
local
| > > folders created for this purpose.
| > >
| > > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
| > >
| > > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform
| manual
| > > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
| > > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
| > >
| > > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your
machine if
| > > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
| > >
| > > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also
cause such
| > > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
| > > --
| > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:22:38 AM

You're welcome, Steve. Don't worry about Bear. His growl can be
disconcerting, but he's really a teddy bear... Mostly...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
>
> I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now,
> and
> reset the newsgroup.
>
> The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
> set.
>
> Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise
> dude
> I think.
>
> That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.
>
> Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
> dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
>
> Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
> post/crisis/message.
>
> See you later Steve

>> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
>> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
> about
>> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
> clear.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > [That's three words!]
>> >
>> > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
>> >
>> > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
>> > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
>> > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
>> >
>> > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
>> > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
> messages
>> > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
>> > Identities).
>> >
>> > To avoid such corruption in future:
>> >
>> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
>> > folders created for this purpose.
>> >
>> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>> >
>> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
> manual
>> > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
>> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>> >
>> > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
>> > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
>> >
>> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
>> > such
>> > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

> do

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:22:38 AM

Ummm... How many messages do you show now? If 300, you need to go back and
follow the instructions I believe were given earlier, including unchecking
the 300 message limit for message downloads in Options, Read tab.

Unless you *want* such limits imposed. If you unthrottle that setting,
you'll get ALL of the messages on the server. I do it that way, and then use
a Message Rule to delete according to age.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
>
> I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now,
> and
> reset the newsgroup.
>
> The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
> set.
>
> Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise
> dude
> I think.
>
> That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.
>
> Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
> dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
>
> Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
> post/crisis/message.
>
> See you later Steve

>> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
>> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
> about
>> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
> clear.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > [That's three words!]
>> >
>> > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
>> >
>> > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
>> > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
>> > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
>> >
>> > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
>> > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
> messages
>> > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
>> > Identities).
>> >
>> > To avoid such corruption in future:
>> >
>> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
>> > folders created for this purpose.
>> >
>> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>> >
>> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
> manual
>> > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
>> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
>> >
>> > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
>> > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
>> >
>> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
>> > such
>> > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

> do

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:22:39 AM

Those were my instructions, then, he should have followed, EXCEPT I
don't know whether this can be done in OE5...

(1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
(2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
rules".
(3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
(4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
click the RESET button.
(5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
Messages.
(6) Click the NG in the left pane to select it.
(7) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"

news:o QmPulOrFHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Ummm... How many messages do you show now? If 300, you need to go back
and
| follow the instructions I believe were given earlier, including
unchecking
| the 300 message limit for message downloads in Options, Read tab.
|
| Unless you *want* such limits imposed. If you unthrottle that setting,
| you'll get ALL of the messages on the server. I do it that way, and
then use
| a Message Rule to delete according to age.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User
|
| "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
| > Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
| >
| > I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure
now,
| > and
| > reset the newsgroup.
| >
| > The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the
300 I
| > set.
| >
| > Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a
wise
| > dude
| > I think.
| >
| > That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right
circumstances.

| > Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am
like a
| > dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
| >
| > Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
| > post/crisis/message.
| >
| > See you later Steve
| >
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| >> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had
the
| >> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely
forgotten
| > about
| >> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all
became
| > clear.
| >>
| >> --
| >> Gary S. Terhune
| >> MS-MVP Shell/User
| >>
| >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Identity is

| > messages

| > manual

All to
| > do

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:22:40 AM

Also... Use the "Move up" button to move this rule to the top of any
other
rule you may have, or these old messages will pass to succeeding rules &
possibly NOT delete.

--
| Those were my instructions, then, he should have followed, EXCEPT I
| don't know whether this can be done in OE5...
|
| (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
| (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
| delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
more
| rules".
| (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a
time".
| (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
| click the RESET button.
| (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
| Messages.
| (6) Click the NG in the left pane to select it.
| (7) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
|
| Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
| machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
| occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
| compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
|
| Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
says...

| (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
| (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
| (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
....snip
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:38:58 AM

<sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific newsgroup
with further questions about OE...
--
~PAÞ

PCR wrote:
> ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:38:59 AM

He's going to upgrade to OE6 soon and wants to wait until then to learn new
tricks. Wonder if he knows how similar they are, ;<)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
> newsgroup with further questions about OE...
> --
> ~PAÞ
>
> PCR wrote:
>> ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:19:52 PM

Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
"stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
testing of it in 2007...?...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
newsgroup
| with further questions about OE...
| --
| ~PAÞ
|
| PCR wrote:
| > ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:37:30 AM

Message Rules are applied hierarchically (if that's a word). Simply put, if
a rule doesn't end in "Stop processing more rules", the next rule *will* be
applied to the message.

Message Rules Tips
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm

Why doesn't my rule work?
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PCR wrote:
> Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
> "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
> testing of it in 2007...?...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
> OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
>

> > <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
> > newsgroup with further questions about OE...
> > --
> > ~PAÞ
> >
> > PCR wrote:
> > > ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:37:31 AM

Even if the first rule results in the message being deleted?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Message Rules are applied hierarchically (if that's a word). Simply put,
> if a rule doesn't end in "Stop processing more rules", the next rule
> *will* be applied to the message.
>
> Message Rules Tips
> http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm
>
> Why doesn't my rule work?
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> PCR wrote:
>> Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
>> "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
>> testing of it in 2007...?...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
>> OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
>>

>> > <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
>> > newsgroup with further questions about OE...
>> > --
>> > ~PAÞ

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:00:11 AM

<one in every crowd>

"Stop processing more rules" won't be available if "Delete from server" is
selected.

"Delete it" option just moves it to Deleted Items and yes, if "Stop
processsing more rules" isn't also checked, the next rule will be applied.

NEXT??
--
~PAÞ

!