messages on server not available

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
browse through old messages and could access all of them.

Many thanks Steve

> Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> browse through old messages and could access all of them.

Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out

when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
longer on server and puts a line through the heading

many thanks Steve

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
> > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> > browse through old messages and could access all of them.
>
> Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
> deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

> in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
> empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out
>
> when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
> longer on server and puts a line through the heading

I think that somewhere there's a option for keeping messages no longer
available on the server, but sorry I've forgotten where.

Moonraker wrote:

> when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> no longer on server and puts a line through the heading

And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
gone.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
Therefore...

(1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
(2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
rules".
(3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
(4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
click the RESET button.
(5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
Messages.
(6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"

Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".

Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...

(1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
(2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
(3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

(2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> rules".

Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG posts.
Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
it.)

--
| (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
| > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
more
| > rules".
|
| Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
posts.
| Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

Never been a problem for me.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
> moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
> will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
> it.)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> | > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
> more
> | > rules".
> |
> | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
> posts.
> | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

I guess that is it, I have relisted messages by date order and can read
messages back to 24-08-05 the next listed is a jump to 29-05-05 (for some
reason) and that I cannot read.

ALL of my own posts I can read right back to>>26-01-05. Why are these still
on the server?

How is it that last time I used this general site I could read all of the
messages, going back years.

They hold so much useful info.

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
> Moonraker wrote:
>
> > when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> > no longer on server and puts a line through the heading
>
> And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
> keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
> gone.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks for your help

Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
click the RESET button.
(5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
Messages.

I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"

I only have inbox >> drafts

> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
> Therefore...
>
> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> rules".
> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
> click the RESET button.
> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> Messages.
> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
>
> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
>
> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
>
> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
> one,
> | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
> out
> |
> | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
> no
> | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
> |
> | many thanks Steve
> |
> | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
> used to
> | >
> | > Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have
> the
> | > deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Thanks for your help
>
> Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
> &
> click the RESET button.
> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> Messages.
>
> I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
>
> I only have inbox >> drafts
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
>> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
>> Therefore...
>>
>> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
>> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
>> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
>> rules".
>> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
>> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
>> click the RESET button.
>> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
>> Messages.
>> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
>>
>> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
>> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
>> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
>> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
>>
>> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
>>
>> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
>> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
>> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
>>

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
>> one,
>> | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
>> out
>> |
>> | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
>> no
>> | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
>> |
>> | many thanks Steve
>> |
>> | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
>> used to

>> the

You are welcome. I don't know what's going on, then, & it may be best to
leave you in Bear's hands. Seems you need an update.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
| Thanks for your help
|
| Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
tab, &
| click the RESET button.
| (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
| Messages.
|
| I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
|
| I only have inbox >> drafts

| > I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
| > away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
| > Therefore...
| >
| > (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
| > (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule
| > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
more
| > rules".
| > (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a
time".
| > (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
&
| > click the RESET button.
| > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
| > Messages.
| > (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
| >
| > Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
| > machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
| > occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
| > compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
| >
| > Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
says...

| > (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
| > (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
| > (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
| > | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the
top
| > one,
| > | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are
greyed
| > out
| > |
| > | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they
are
| > no
| > | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
| > |
| > | many thanks Steve
| > |
| > | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
| > used to

| > the

| > |
| > |

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
sent items and deleted items.

I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
find and headers) or by "ctrl W"

I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
pane.

> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
tab,
> > &
> > click the RESET button.
> > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> > Messages.
> >
> > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
> >
> > I only have inbox >> drafts
> >

> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> >> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
> >> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
> >> Therefore...
> >>
> >> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
> >> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
> >> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
> >> rules".
> >> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
> >> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
> >> click the RESET button.
> >> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> >> Messages.
> >> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
> >>
> >> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
> >> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
> >> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
> >> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
> >>
> >> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
says...

> >> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
> >> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
> >> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
> >>

> >> --
> >> Thanks or Good Luck,
> >> There may be humor in this post, and,
> >> Naturally, you will not sue,
> >> should things get worse after this,
> >> PCR
> >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> >> one,
> >> out

> >> no

> >> used to

> >> the

If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders pane
under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
msnews.microsoft.public). See
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and satisfying
than the method you're using now, MR.

Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:

1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.

2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your machine
should have.

To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
> sent items and deleted items.
>
> I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
> find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>
> I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> pane.

> > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS-MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
> > > tab, &
> > > click the RESET button.
> > > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
> > > Messages.
> > >
> > > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
> > >
> > > I only have inbox >> drafts
> > >

> > > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still clear
how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
> sent items and deleted items.
>
> I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
> find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>
> I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> pane.

>> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
>> your
>> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your help
>> >
>> > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
> tab,
>> > &
>> > click the RESET button.
>> > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
>> > Messages.
>> >
>> > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
>> >
>> > I only have inbox >> drafts
>> >

>> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

> says...

> greyed

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer version
of OE / IE and other programs then.

Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.

I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens document"
and could just save the whole lot.

However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them into
one folder.

It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site to
if poss'

I would appreciate your advise

Cheers Steve
..
> If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
pane
> under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
> msnews.microsoft.public). See
> http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
> you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
satisfying
> than the method you're using now, MR.
>
> Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
> 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
> versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:
>
> 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
>
> 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
machine
> should have.
>
> To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
> and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
including
> Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:

kexpress
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Moonraker wrote:
> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
outbox,
> > sent items and deleted items.
> >
> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
between
> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> >
> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> > pane.
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> > > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS-MVP Shell/User
> > >
> > > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

Rule
All

Please begin a new thread here with these new questions.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonraker wrote:
> Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
> windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer
> version of OE / IE and other programs then.
>
> Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
> etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.
>
> I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens
> document" and could just save the whole lot.
>
> However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them
> into one folder.
>
> It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site
> to if poss'
>
> I would appreciate your advise
>
> Cheers Steve
> .
> > If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
> > pane under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
> > msnews.microsoft.public). See
> > http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
> > you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
> > satisfying than the method you're using now, MR.
> >
> > Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
> > 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much
> > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update
> > twice ASAP:
> >
> > 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
> >
> > 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
> > machine should have.
> >
> > To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
> > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
> > anything, including Windows Updates. This is especially important in
> > Win98. --
> > OE6-specific newsgroup:

> kexpress
> > OE General newsgroup:
> >
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >

> > Moonraker wrote:
> > > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
> > > outbox, sent items and deleted items.
> > >
> > > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
> > > between find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> > >
> > > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left
> > > hand pane.
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Let me explain,

Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
has loaded allsorts on here.

We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason to
change to be honest

At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
page I have FILE>EDIT..etc

Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
HEADERS

For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as if
my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
next crisis.

The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people, including
my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.

As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real need
to worry about changing anything now .

Many thanks Steve

> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
clear
> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
outbox,
> > sent items and deleted items.
> >
> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
between
> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
> >
> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
> > pane.
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
> >> your
> >> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

> > tab,

> > says...

> > greyed

Well, the discussion was originally about how to retrieve your missing
messages, how to reset the newsgroup, and we've told you how. What I don't
understand, really, is how you can see the Local Folders and not the
Newsgroup accounts. Unless... Are you not "Subscribing" to the newsgroups?
Just signing in via the Ctrl-W dialogue and then letting it disappear? But
in that case, you're resetting the NG every time you go there. I fell that
there's some important piece of information about your layout that I'm
aren't comprehending on this side. Really, it's no big deal to change the
layout of your OE temporarily in order to do that, and then change it back
to what you're used to. But hey, it's your system.

I strongly doubt that you will be able to upgrade *that* machine to XP. What
are its basic specs (CPU speed, RAM, HDD size)?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Let me explain,
>
> Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
> crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
> windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
> has loaded allsorts on here.
>
> We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
> change to be honest
>
> At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
> page I have FILE>EDIT..etc
>
> Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
> HEADERS
>
> For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
> manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
> CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as
> if
> my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
> next crisis.
>
> The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
> with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
> including
> my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
>
> As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
> need
> to worry about changing anything now .
>
> Many thanks Steve

>> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
>> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
> clear
>> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
>> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
> outbox,
>> > sent items and deleted items.
>> >
>> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
> between
>> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
>> >
>> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
>> > pane.
>> >

>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

>> > tab,

> &

>> > says...

> top
>> > greyed

> are

> have

Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a thrashing! He
went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it somewhere
too! Well, I can't find that, but...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test of
it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?

--
| Never been a problem for me.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
| > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the
message
| > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I
understand
| > it.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message
Rule to
| > more
| > |
| > | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to
NG
| > posts.
| > | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > |
| > |

Interesting article. Maybe I'll play with it, too. Next decade, when I have
the time, <g>.

Alas, I suspect poor George has been lost at sea. I haven't been able to
track him down, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, last I heard, he was headed
to sea, over a year ago, expecting some real good fishing. Maybe the fishing
was *too* good and he couldn't make himself stop hauling them in, until he
swamped the boat.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Moonraker wrote:
> Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
> crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
> windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
> has loaded allsorts on here.
>
> We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
> to change to be honest

Running a secure-as-possible machine isn't a good reason?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Repost:

Moonraker wrote:
> Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
> browse through old messages and could access all of them.
>
> Many thanks Steve

Moonraker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

No you are right, I am not subscribing to ANY newsgroups, do I need to, what
is/are the advantages.

As with the original question, It was more to find out why at the beginning
of this year , as far as I know I could look back for ever and read old
messages that related to my problems and learn from them.

Then after several months I post another message re :- MS Paint which you
guys have know fixed, And as ever I am truly grateful and humbled by your
free help, I is very rare that anybody is willing to help for no return,
thank you.

It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
wondered why this was,

After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
server, BUT could read ALL of my own messages back as far as Jan this
year,(although my messages are "watched" highlighted in red so maybe that is
the difference) I could not understand why the headings where being shown in
the newsgroup window, Why aren't the headings just deleted from the list
when the messages TIME EXPIRE.

Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I can
in my e-mail Folders, When I try to Look at the messages I get the "no
longer on the server message" and a line is put though the heading, but it
does not disappear nor can I delete it.

Then next time I open the newsgroup the headings are back again, without the
line though it, but I still cannot read the message ,OF COARSE.

I just wanted to know what was going on that's all.

Why did I want to know, WELL, I think that the more a novice like myself
learns about anything to do with computers the more he will understand about
other things to do with computers.

You guys are so amazing, even if, as you must, you get a little bit
frustrated now and then by folk like me who compared to you know very
little.

Some times you are "talking" to people who do not know what you are on
about, and they not only have to learn how to fix something, but to a large
extent are having to do it blindfolded.

Even though I do not see a real need to change to how you suggest, I am ALW
AYS more than willing to take your advise and have a go.

Hope this clears something's up. And I will probably be back to ask some
more question, if I may

Many Thanks Steve