messages on server not available

Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
browse through old messages and could access all of them.

Many thanks Steve
152 answers Last reply
More about messages server available

    > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
    > browse through old messages and could access all of them.

    Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
    deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

    in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
    empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out

    when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
    longer on server and puts a line through the heading

    many thanks Steve

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
    > > browse through old messages and could access all of them.
    >
    > Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have the
    > deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

    > in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top one,
    > empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed out
    >
    > when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are no
    > longer on server and puts a line through the heading

    I think that somewhere there's a option for keeping messages no longer
    available on the server, but sorry I've forgotten where.

    Moonraker wrote:

    > when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
    > no longer on server and puts a line through the heading

    And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
    keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
    gone.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
    away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
    Therefore...

    (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    rules".
    (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
    (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    click the RESET button.
    (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    Messages.
    (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"

    Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".

    Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...

    (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    > rules".

    Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG posts.
    Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
    moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
    will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
    it.)

    --
    | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    | > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
    more
    | > rules".
    |
    | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
    posts.
    | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    Never been a problem for me.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
    > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the message
    > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I understand
    > it.)
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    > | > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
    > more
    > | > rules".
    > |
    > | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to NG
    > posts.
    > | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User

    I guess that is it, I have relisted messages by date order and can read
    messages back to 24-08-05 the next listed is a jump to 29-05-05 (for some
    reason) and that I cannot read.

    ALL of my own posts I can read right back to>>26-01-05. Why are these still
    on the server?

    How is it that last time I used this general site I could read all of the
    messages, going back years.

    They hold so much useful info.

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    > Moonraker wrote:
    >
    > > when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
    > > no longer on server and puts a line through the heading
    >
    > And how old are those messages? I have no idea how long this server
    > keeps messages but doubt it is forever so maybe they are actually <gasp>
    > gone.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Thanks for your help

    Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    click the RESET button.
    (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    Messages.

    I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"

    I only have inbox >> drafts

    > I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
    > away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
    > Therefore...
    >
    > (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    > (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    > rules".
    > (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
    > (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    > click the RESET button.
    > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    > Messages.
    > (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
    >
    > Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    > machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    > occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    > compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
    >
    > Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
    >
    > (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    > (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    > (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
    > one,
    > | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
    > out
    > |
    > | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
    > no
    > | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
    > |
    > | many thanks Steve
    > |
    > | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > used to
    > | >
    > | > Check OE settings: Tools -> Options -> Maintenance. It might have
    > the
    > | > deletion options checked. OE by defualt does.

    Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
    Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
    > &
    > click the RESET button.
    > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    > Messages.
    >
    > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
    >
    > I only have inbox >> drafts
    >

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
    >> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
    >> Therefore...
    >>
    >> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    >> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    >> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    >> rules".
    >> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
    >> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    >> click the RESET button.
    >> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    >> Messages.
    >> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
    >>
    >> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    >> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    >> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    >> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
    >>
    >> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who says...
    >>
    >> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    >> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    >> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
    >>

    >> --
    >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >> should things get worse after this,
    >> PCR
    >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    >> | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the top
    >> one,
    >> | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are greyed
    >> out
    >> |
    >> | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they are
    >> no
    >> | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
    >> |
    >> | many thanks Steve
    >> |
    >> | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    >> used to

    >> the

    You are welcome. I don't know what's going on, then, & it may be best to
    leave you in Bear's hands. Seems you need an update.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    | Thanks for your help
    |
    | Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
    tab, &
    | click the RESET button.
    | (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    | Messages.
    |
    | I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
    |
    | I only have inbox >> drafts

    | > I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
    | > away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
    | > Therefore...
    | >
    | > (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    | > (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule
    | > delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
    more
    | > rules".
    | > (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a
    time".
    | > (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab,
    &
    | > click the RESET button.
    | > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    | > Messages.
    | > (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
    | >
    | > Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    | > machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    | > occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    | > compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
    | >
    | > Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
    says...

    | > (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    | > (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    | > (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    | > | in maintenance, there are three check boxes at the top, only the
    top
    | > one,
    | > | empty messages etc, is checked >> all the others on the box are
    greyed
    | > out
    | > |
    | > | when I am looking at the messages on this newsgroup it says they
    are
    | > no
    | > | longer on server and puts a line through the heading
    | > |
    | > | many thanks Steve
    | > |
    | > | "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    | > used to

    | > the

    | > |
    | > |

    Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
    sent items and deleted items.

    I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
    find and headers) or by "ctrl W"

    I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    pane.

    > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are your
    > Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
    tab,
    > > &
    > > click the RESET button.
    > > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    > > Messages.
    > >
    > > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
    > >
    > > I only have inbox >> drafts
    > >

    > > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > >> I'm no gossip, &, anyhow, I doubt PA Bear hiccoughed your messages
    > >> away-- not that many! I guess some strange corruption occurred.
    > >> Therefore...
    > >>
    > >> (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    > >> (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    > >> delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    > >> rules".
    > >> (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
    > >> (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    > >> click the RESET button.
    > >> (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    > >> Messages.
    > >> (6) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
    > >>
    > >> Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    > >> machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    > >> occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    > >> compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
    > >>
    > >> Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
    says...

    > >> (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    > >> (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    > >> (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    > >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    > >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    > >> should things get worse after this,
    > >> PCR
    > >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > >> one,
    > >> out

    > >> no

    > >> used to

    > >> the

    If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders pane
    under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
    msnews.microsoft.public). See
    http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
    you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and satisfying
    than the method you're using now, MR.

    Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
    5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
    versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:

    1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.

    2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your machine
    should have.

    To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
    and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
    Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Moonraker wrote:
    > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
    > sent items and deleted items.
    >
    > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
    > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    >
    > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    > pane.

    > > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
    > > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for your help
    > > >
    > > > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
    > > > tab, &
    > > > click the RESET button.
    > > > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    > > > Messages.
    > > >
    > > > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
    > > >
    > > > I only have inbox >> drafts
    > > >

    > > > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
    purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still clear
    how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
    can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including outbox,
    > sent items and deleted items.
    >
    > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in between
    > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    >
    > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    > pane.

    >> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
    >> your
    >> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for your help
    >> >
    >> > Re:- (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File
    > tab,
    >> > &
    >> > click the RESET button.
    >> > (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    >> > Messages.
    >> >
    >> > I do not have "the newsgroup in the left pane of OE"
    >> >
    >> > I only have inbox >> drafts
    >> >

    >> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    > says...

    > greyed

    Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
    windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer version
    of OE / IE and other programs then.

    Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
    etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.

    I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens document"
    and could just save the whole lot.

    However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them into
    one folder.

    It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site to
    if poss'

    I would appreciate your advise

    Cheers Steve
    ..
    > If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
    pane
    > under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
    > msnews.microsoft.public). See
    > http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
    > you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
    satisfying
    > than the method you're using now, MR.
    >
    > Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
    > 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much less-secure
    > versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update twice ASAP:
    >
    > 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
    >
    > 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
    machine
    > should have.
    >
    > To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
    > and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
    including
    > Windows Updates. This is especially important in Win98.
    > --
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:

    kexpress
    > OE General newsgroup:
    >
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >

    > Moonraker wrote:
    > > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
    outbox,
    > > sent items and deleted items.
    > >
    > > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
    between
    > > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    > >
    > > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    > > pane.
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
    > > > your Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

    Rule
    All

    Please begin a new thread here with these new questions.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Moonraker wrote:
    > Thank you, I am more than likely going to wipe my harddrive and upgrade to
    > windows XP in the next few months so will probably install the newer
    > version of OE / IE and other programs then.
    >
    > Is there an easy way of saving any documents and other stuff like pictures
    > etc that I would want on the computer afterwards.
    >
    > I keep all my stuff in a folder off the "C" drive called "Stephens
    > document" and could just save the whole lot.
    >
    > However, my wife has stuff in several places, but I could compile them
    > into one folder.
    >
    > It would be good to save our e-mail addresses and internet favourite site
    > to if poss'
    >
    > I would appreciate your advise
    >
    > Cheers Steve
    > .
    > > If you've /Subscribed/ to any newsgroups, they'll be listed in Folders
    > > pane under the newsserver on which you access them (e.g.,
    > > msnews.microsoft.public). See
    > > http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews. I think
    > > you'll find subscribing to this newsgroup much more efficient and
    > > satisfying than the method you're using now, MR.
    > >
    > > Related: The headers of your posts here (Microsoft Outlook Express
    > > 5.50.4807.1700) tell me you're running very outdated and much
    > > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows. Check in at Windows Update
    > > twice ASAP:
    > >
    > > 1. On your first visit, install IE6 SP1 and reboot.
    > >
    > > 2. Now return to Windows Update for additional Critical Updates your
    > > machine should have.
    > >
    > > To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
    > > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
    > > anything, including Windows Updates. This is especially important in
    > > Win98. --
    > > OE6-specific newsgroup:

    > kexpress
    > > OE General newsgroup:
    > >
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >

    > > Moonraker wrote:
    > > > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
    > > > outbox, sent items and deleted items.
    > > >
    > > > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
    > > > between find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    > > >
    > > > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left
    > > > hand pane.
    > > >

    > > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Let me explain,

    Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
    crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
    windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
    has loaded allsorts on here.

    We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason to
    change to be honest

    At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
    page I have FILE>EDIT..etc

    Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
    HEADERS

    For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
    manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
    CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as if
    my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
    next crisis.

    The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
    with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people, including
    my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.

    As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real need
    to worry about changing anything now .

    Many thanks Steve

    > Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
    > purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
    clear
    > how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
    > can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
    outbox,
    > > sent items and deleted items.
    > >
    > > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
    between
    > > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    > >
    > > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    > > pane.
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Then how do you get to the newsgroup? What do you click on? Where are
    > >> your
    > >> Deleted, Outbox and Sent folders?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message

    > > tab,

    > > says...

    > > greyed

    Well, the discussion was originally about how to retrieve your missing
    messages, how to reset the newsgroup, and we've told you how. What I don't
    understand, really, is how you can see the Local Folders and not the
    Newsgroup accounts. Unless... Are you not "Subscribing" to the newsgroups?
    Just signing in via the Ctrl-W dialogue and then letting it disappear? But
    in that case, you're resetting the NG every time you go there. I fell that
    there's some important piece of information about your layout that I'm
    aren't comprehending on this side. Really, it's no big deal to change the
    layout of your OE temporarily in order to do that, and then change it back
    to what you're used to. But hey, it's your system.

    I strongly doubt that you will be able to upgrade *that* machine to XP. What
    are its basic specs (CPU speed, RAM, HDD size)?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Let me explain,
    >
    > Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
    > crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
    > windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
    > has loaded allsorts on here.
    >
    > We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
    > change to be honest
    >
    > At the left hand pane there is the five O/E folders, and at the top of the
    > page I have FILE>EDIT..etc
    >
    > Below that is SEND>CUT>COPY>>>>>>on to >ADDRESSES>FIND>NEWSGROUPS> and
    > HEADERS
    >
    > For newsgroups (this is the only one I use) (and I don't know how I would
    > manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page, or
    > CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and as
    > if
    > my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have my
    > next crisis.
    >
    > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to do
    > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
    > including
    > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
    >
    > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
    > need
    > to worry about changing anything now .
    >
    > Many thanks Steve

    >> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
    >> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
    > clear
    >> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but I
    >> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry, "inbox >> drafts" meant inbox through to drafts including
    > outbox,
    >> > sent items and deleted items.
    >> >
    >> > I access the newsgroup via the toolbar at the top of the page (in
    > between
    >> > find and headers) or by "ctrl W"
    >> >
    >> > I'm quite happy with not having an icon for newsgroups on the left hand
    >> > pane.
    >> >

    >> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> > tab,

    > &

    >> > says...

    > top
    >> > greyed

    > are

    > have

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a thrashing! He
    went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it somewhere
    too! Well, I can't find that, but...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

    I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test of
    it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?

    --
    | Never been a problem for me.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
    | > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the
    message
    | > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I
    understand
    | > it.)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message
    Rule to
    | > more
    | > |
    | > | Why stop processing more rules? I have lots of rules that apply to
    NG
    | > posts.
    | > | Why would I want to stop processing after filtering for age?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Interesting article. Maybe I'll play with it, too. Next decade, when I have
    the time, <g>.

    Alas, I suspect poor George has been lost at sea. I haven't been able to
    track him down, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, last I heard, he was headed
    to sea, over a year ago, expecting some real good fishing. Maybe the fishing
    was *too* good and he couldn't make himself stop hauling them in, until he
    swamped the boat.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a thrashing! He
    > went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it somewhere
    > too! Well, I can't find that, but...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    > OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
    >
    > I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test of
    > it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Never been a problem for me.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > That was something Dundat came up with. In fact, this rule should be
    > | > moved to the top as well. If "stop processing" is not used, the
    > message
    > | > will be passed to the next rule-- & NOT be deleted! (Or so I
    > understand
    > | > it.)
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Rule to
    > processing
    > | > more
    > | > |
    > NG
    > | > posts.
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Moonraker wrote:
    > Back in 1999 we got this 'puter, it has been ill a couple of times, has
    > crashed two or three times, once due to a virus, have needed to reload
    > windows a couple of times for other reasons. and Beryl and my son (now 12)
    > has loaded allsorts on here.
    >
    > We are still using OE that was loaded on back them, we have had no reason
    > to change to be honest

    Running a secure-as-possible machine isn't a good reason?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Repost:

    Moonraker wrote:
    > Why are nearly all of the messages on this site not available, I used to
    > browse through old messages and could access all of them.
    >
    > Many thanks Steve
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No you are right, I am not subscribing to ANY newsgroups, do I need to, what
    is/are the advantages.

    As with the original question, It was more to find out why at the beginning
    of this year , as far as I know I could look back for ever and read old
    messages that related to my problems and learn from them.

    Then after several months I post another message re :- MS Paint which you
    guys have know fixed, And as ever I am truly grateful and humbled by your
    free help, I is very rare that anybody is willing to help for no return,
    thank you.

    It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
    wondered why this was,

    After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
    server, BUT could read ALL of my own messages back as far as Jan this
    year,(although my messages are "watched" highlighted in red so maybe that is
    the difference) I could not understand why the headings where being shown in
    the newsgroup window, Why aren't the headings just deleted from the list
    when the messages TIME EXPIRE.

    Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I can
    in my e-mail Folders, When I try to Look at the messages I get the "no
    longer on the server message" and a line is put though the heading, but it
    does not disappear nor can I delete it.

    Then next time I open the newsgroup the headings are back again, without the
    line though it, but I still cannot read the message ,OF COARSE.

    I just wanted to know what was going on that's all.

    Why did I want to know, WELL, I think that the more a novice like myself
    learns about anything to do with computers the more he will understand about
    other things to do with computers.

    You guys are so amazing, even if, as you must, you get a little bit
    frustrated now and then by folk like me who compared to you know very
    little.

    Some times you are "talking" to people who do not know what you are on
    about, and they not only have to learn how to fix something, but to a large
    extent are having to do it blindfolded.

    Even though I do not see a real need to change to how you suggest, I am ALW
    AYS more than willing to take your advise and have a go.

    Hope this clears something's up. And I will probably be back to ask some
    more question, if I may

    Many Thanks Steve
> [...]
    > > next crisis.
    > >
    > > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
    do
    > > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
    > > including
    > > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
    > >
    > > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
    > > need
    > > to worry about changing anything now .
    > >
    > > Many thanks Steve
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
    > >> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
    > > clear
    > >> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but
    > >> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    As you note in the next message, you *are* subscribed to at least a few
    groups. I'm a bit too frazzled right now to get into the differences between
    subscribing and just dropping in without subscribing. I'm still having a
    hard time picturing what your OE layout looks like, why you can't get to the
    Reset option for an NG. As for deleting headers, you should be able to do
    that. However, the whole newsgroup system is a complicated one, and I'm
    simply not up to attempting a decent tutorial. In all, with everything
    you've described, I suspect your installation is corrupted, but it may
    simply be a question of layout and the way you set up your options. Or maybe
    we're just stuck in terminology.

    As you say, it can be difficult to figure out what's happening on the other
    end when we're offering advice here, but in fact, that's *the* main
    qualification for an MVP and others of the same ilk. Being able to visualize
    layouts, figuring out what the correspondent is trying to describe when
    there are so many possible configurations, not to mention the infinite
    possibilities for confusion offered by the language... That's what we're
    here for, what we really enjoy doing, particularly in the groups where
    "consumer" users abound.

    But, congratulations! You've managed to stump me. Not sure I could finally
    figure out everything that's going on for you without seeing it in person.
    Alas, I'm getting more and more cramped for time, so I'm going to have to
    leave you now, at least on this particular issue. It's not just the time,
    it's my brain. It's getting too stuffed with various projects I have going
    on, and I can't make it settle down and suss out your issue properly. Sorry.

    Oh, and you didn't respond to anything I asked about your plan to upgrade to
    XP.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    > would
    >> > manage without you guys) I click on newsgroups at the top of the page,
    > or
    >> > CTRL+W, which opens the newsgroups window,>>>I then type in 98gen and
    >> > as
    >> > if
    >> > my magic you are there, as if you have just been waiting for me to have
    > my
    >> > next crisis.
    >> >
    >> > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
    > do
    >> > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
    >> > including
    >> > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my
    >> > own.
    >> >
    >> > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Moonraker wrote:
    <snip>
    > It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
    > wondered why this was,
    >
    > After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
    > server...

    OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for the
    MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
    newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the newsserver
    for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is to Copy them
    to a user-created local folder.

    > Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
    > can in my e-mail Folders...

    Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
    participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:

    OE General newsgroup:
    *Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
    OE6-specific newsgroup:

    *Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
    newsserver.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
    that.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Moonraker wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
    >> wondered why this was,
    >>
    >> After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
    >> server...
    >
    > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
    > the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
    > newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the
    > newsserver for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is
    > to Copy them to a user-created local folder.
    >
    >> Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
    >> can in my e-mail Folders...
    >
    > Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
    > participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:
    >
    > OE General newsgroup:
    > *Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    >
    > *Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
    > newsserver.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    AFAIK 90 days was always the default (though many NGs displayed far older
    messages). At one point (post-Blaster), they'd lowered it to 30 days but
    John Eddy upped it back to 90+ earlier this year.
    --
    ~Robear

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
    > that.
    > <snip>
    > > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
    > > the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ahh, OK, thanks.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > AFAIK 90 days was always the default (though many NGs displayed far older
    > messages). At one point (post-Blaster), they'd lowered it to 30 days but
    > John Eddy upped it back to 90+ earlier this year.
    > --
    > ~Robear
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >> They're down to 90 days, now? They used to go a *lot* farther back than
    >> that.
    >> <snip>
    >> > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
    >> > the MS newsserver is a 90-day retention.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    A Sea Dirge

    Full fathom five thy father lies,
    Of his bones are coral made;
    Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    Nothing of him that doth fade,
    But doth suffer a sea-change
    Into something rich and strange.
    Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    Ding-dong.
    Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.

    William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

    --
    | Interesting article. Maybe I'll play with it, too. Next decade, when I
    have
    | the time, <g>.
    |
    | Alas, I suspect poor George has been lost at sea. I haven't been able
    | track him down, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, last I heard, he was
    headed
    | to sea, over a year ago, expecting some real good fishing. Maybe the
    fishing
    | was *too* good and he couldn't make himself stop hauling them in,
    until he
    | swamped the boat.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > Interesting. I'll have to seek him out, then, & give him a
    thrashing! He
    | > went on a sea voyage? No, wait a minute, I'm sure I read it
    somewhere
    | > too! Well, I can't find that, but...
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    | > OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
    | >
    | > I don't know. Seems confusing. I suppose I'll have to devise a test
    of
    | > it, unless someone steps in with a definitive answer. PA?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Never been a problem for me.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > message
    | > understand

    | > Rule to
    | > processing
    | > | > |
    | > NG
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    OH!! Have just looked at the "newsgroup subscription window, and, clicked on
    the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the six or
    seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98........

    Cheers Steve

> [...]
    > > next crisis.
    > >
    > > The reason for wiping my hard drive and upgrading to XP has nothing to
    do
    > > with OE or newsgroups, , It has been suggested by several people,
    > > including
    > > my brother in law , whom I call when I cannot fix this 'puter on my own.
    > >
    > > As I am likely to upgrade to OE 6 when I upgrade to XP There is no real
    > > need
    > > to worry about changing anything now .
    > >
    > > Many thanks Steve
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Well, that sounds a little labor intensive. Even if it's only for this
    > >> purpose of resetting the NG(s), enable the Folders pane. I'm not still
    > > clear
    > >> how you navigate between folders without the Folders pane visible, but
    > >> can't find a decent way to reset NGs without it.

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Moonraker wrote:
    > on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the
    > six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In a word "no there don't"

    > And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Moonraker wrote:
    clicked
    > > on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am subscribed to the
    > > six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do with win98
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    [That's three words!]

    Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.

    If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
    Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
    damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.

    Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    Identities).

    To avoid such corruption in future:

    Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

    Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

    Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Moonraker wrote:
    > In a word "no there don't"
    >
    > > And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
    > > --
    > > Moonraker wrote:
    > > > clicked on the subscribed tab , and it would appear that I am
    > > > subscribed to the six or seven newsgroups I have posted in. All to do
    > > > with win98
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
    Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten about
    the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became clear.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > [That's three words!]
    >
    > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
    >
    > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
    > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
    > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
    >
    > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).
    >
    > To avoid such corruption in future:
    >
    > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >
    > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >
    > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Moonraker wrote:
    >> In a word "no there don't"
    >>
    >> > And no newsgroups or newsservers appear in Folders pane?
    >> > --

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I *hate* when that happens...

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
    > Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
    > about the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all
    > became clear.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Sorry if I have done something wrong or in the wrong place, I can assure you
    that I have learned many things from this thread.

    I will make sure that I post on the OE newsgroup in future.

    Sorry,sorry sorry.

    Many thanks Steve.

    > Moonraker wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > It was then that I noticed that I could not read the older messages, and
    > > wondered why this was,
    > >
    > > After trying to read a few, to be told that they where no longer on the
    > > server...
    >
    > OE will only display messages currently on the server. The default for
    the
    > MS newsserver is a 90-day retention. If a message is deleted from the
    > newsserver, it *will* be deleted in OE the next time you poll the
    newsserver
    > for messages. The only way to archive newsgroup posts in OE is to Copy
    them
    > to a user-created local folder.
    >
    > > Another thing that puzzled me was why I can't delete the headings like I
    > > can in my e-mail Folders...
    >
    > Moonraker, I invite you to post your OE-specific questions to (and
    > participate in) an OE-specific newsgroup:
    >
    > OE General newsgroup:
    > *Win98/OE-specific newsgroup:
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:

    kexpress

    > *Tip: Don't expect this one to be around much longer, at least on the MS
    > newsserver.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.

    I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now, and
    reset the newsgroup.

    The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
    set.

    Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise dude
    I think.

    That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.

    Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
    dog at a bone when I don't understand something.

    Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
    post/crisis/message.

    See you later Steve

    > Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
    > Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
    about
    > the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
    clear.

    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User

    > > [That's three words!]
    > >
    > > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
    > >
    > > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
    > > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
    > > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
    > >
    > > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    > > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    messages
    > > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > > Identities).
    > >
    > > To avoid such corruption in future:
    > >
    > > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > > folders created for this purpose.
    > >
    > > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    > >
    > > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
    manual
    > > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    > >
    > > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    > > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    > >
    > > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > Moonraker wrote:
    > >> In a word "no there don't"

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. It couldn't have been my instructions, though, or you'd
    have more than a skimpy 300! Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

    --
> [...]
    | > >
    | > > To avoid such corruption in future:
    | > >
    | > > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to
    local
    | > > folders created for this purpose.
    | > >
    | > > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    | > >
    | > > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform
    | manual
    | > > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    | > > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    | > >
    | > > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your
    machine if
    | > > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    | > >
    | > > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also
    cause such
    | > > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    | > > --
    | > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You're welcome, Steve. Don't worry about Bear. His growl can be
    disconcerting, but he's really a teddy bear... Mostly...

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
    >
    > I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now,
    > and
    > reset the newsgroup.
    >
    > The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
    > set.
    >
    > Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise
    > dude
    > I think.
    >
    > That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.
    >
    > Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
    > dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
    >
    > Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
    > post/crisis/message.
    >
    > See you later Steve

    >> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
    >> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
    > about
    >> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
    > clear.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > [That's three words!]
    >> >
    >> > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
    >> >
    >> > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
    >> > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
    >> > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
    >> >
    >> > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    >> > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    > messages
    >> > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    >> > Identities).
    >> >
    >> > To avoid such corruption in future:
    >> >
    >> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    >> > folders created for this purpose.
    >> >
    >> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >> >
    >> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
    > manual
    >> > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    >> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >> >
    >> > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    >> > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >> >
    >> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
    >> > such
    >> > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    >> > --
    >> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    > do

  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ummm... How many messages do you show now? If 300, you need to go back and
    follow the instructions I believe were given earlier, including unchecking
    the 300 message limit for message downloads in Options, Read tab.

    Unless you *want* such limits imposed. If you unthrottle that setting,
    you'll get ALL of the messages on the server. I do it that way, and then use
    a Message Rule to delete according to age.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    > Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
    >
    > I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure now,
    > and
    > reset the newsgroup.
    >
    > The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the 300 I
    > set.
    >
    > Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a wise
    > dude
    > I think.
    >
    > That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right circumstances.
    >
    > Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am like a
    > dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
    >
    > Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
    > post/crisis/message.
    >
    > See you later Steve

    >> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had the
    >> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely forgotten
    > about
    >> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all became
    > clear.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > [That's three words!]
    >> >
    >> > Then something's damaged in either your Identity or OE itself.
    >> >
    >> > If upgrading to IE6 SP1 and returning to Windows Update to install all
    >> > Critical Updates doesn't address the problem, your current Identity is
    >> > damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity.
    >> >
    >> > Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    >> > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    > messages
    >> > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    >> > Identities).
    >> >
    >> > To avoid such corruption in future:
    >> >
    >> > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    >> > folders created for this purpose.
    >> >
    >> > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >> >
    >> > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
    > manual
    >> > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    >> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >> >
    >> > Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    >> > Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).
    >> >
    >> > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
    >> > such
    >> > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    >> > --
    >> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    > do

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Those were my instructions, then, he should have followed, EXCEPT I
    don't know whether this can be done in OE5...

    (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing more
    rules".
    (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a time".
    (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    click the RESET button.
    (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    Messages.
    (6) Click the NG in the left pane to select it.
    (7) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"

    | Ummm... How many messages do you show now? If 300, you need to go back
    and
    | follow the instructions I believe were given earlier, including
    unchecking
    | the 300 message limit for message downloads in Options, Read tab.
    |
    | Unless you *want* such limits imposed. If you unthrottle that setting,
    | you'll get ALL of the messages on the server. I do it that way, and
    then use
    | a Message Rule to delete according to age.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User
    |
    | "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
    | > Gary, thankyou for your patience, we got there in the end.
    | >
    | > I have now followed your instruction/ or maybe the Bear's, not sure
    now,
    | > and
    | > reset the newsgroup.
    | >
    | > The 16,000 messages I had listed vanished and I am now down to the
    300 I
    | > set.
    | >
    | > Who was it said..... "A picture paints a thousand words"........ a
    wise
    | > dude
    | > I think.
    | >
    | > That screenshot to Paint is a powerful tool in the right
    circumstances.

    | > Could you put things right with Robear for me, I have to admit I am
    like a
    | > dog at a bone when I don't understand something.
    | >
    | > Thank you so much to all of you, and see you in the next
    | > post/crisis/message.
    | >
    | > See you later Steve
    | >
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >> Problem solved, Robear--at least this one is. Turns out Steve had
    the
    | >> Outlook bar enabled and not the Folders list. I'd completely
    forgotten
    | > about
    | >> the Outlook bar. Once I saw the screenshot he sent me, it all
    became
    | > clear.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Gary S. Terhune
    | >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    | >>
    | >> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

    Identity is

    | > messages

    | > manual

    All to
    | > do

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Also... Use the "Move up" button to move this rule to the top of any
    other
    rule you may have, or these old messages will pass to succeeding rules &
    possibly NOT delete.

    --
    | Those were my instructions, then, he should have followed, EXCEPT I
    | don't know whether this can be done in OE5...
    |
    | (1) "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact All Folders"
    | (2) At "OE, Tools menu, Message Rules, News", create a Message Rule to
    | delete posts older than, say, 90 days. Also check "stop processing
    more
    | rules".
    | (3) At "Tools, Options, Read tab", uncheck "Get xxx headers at a
    time".
    | (4) R-Clk the NG in the left pane of OE, Properties, Local File tab, &
    | click the RESET button.
    | (5) R-Clk the NG in the left pane, Synchronize Settings, set to All
    | Messages.
    | (6) Click the NG in the left pane to select it.
    | (7) Click "Tools, Synchronize Newsgroup"
    |
    | Posts older than 90 days will not download. Posts that age on your
    | machine after the download are your responsibility to delete, by
    | occasionally going to that rule & clicking "Apply Now". After that,
    | compact: "OE, File menu, Folder, Compact all folders".
    |
    | Colorado disagrees, but there is a cave-dwelling MVP around, who
    says...

    | (1) "OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab".
    | (2) Uncheck "Delete news messages x days after being downloaded".
    | (3) Uncheck "Compact messages in the background".
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    ....snip
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific newsgroup
    with further questions about OE...
    --
    ~PAÞ

    PCR wrote:
    > ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    He's going to upgrade to OE6 soon and wants to wait until then to learn new
    tricks. Wonder if he knows how similar they are, ;<)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
    > newsgroup with further questions about OE...
    > --
    > ~PAÞ
    >
    > PCR wrote:
    >> ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
    "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
    testing of it in 2007...?...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
    newsgroup
    | with further questions about OE...
    | --
    | ~PAÞ
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!

  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Message Rules are applied hierarchically (if that's a word). Simply put, if
    a rule doesn't end in "Stop processing more rules", the next rule *will* be
    applied to the message.

    Message Rules Tips
    http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm

    Why doesn't my rule work?
    http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PCR wrote:
    > Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
    > "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
    > testing of it in 2007...?...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    > OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
    >

    > > <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
    > > newsgroup with further questions about OE...
    > > --
    > > ~PAÞ
    > >
    > > PCR wrote:
    > > > ...Terhune &/or Bear were quite stingy!
  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Even if the first rule results in the message being deleted?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Message Rules are applied hierarchically (if that's a word). Simply put,
    > if a rule doesn't end in "Stop processing more rules", the next rule
    > *will* be applied to the message.
    >
    > Message Rules Tips
    > http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm
    >
    > Why doesn't my rule work?
    > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > PCR wrote:
    >> Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement about
    >> "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin extensive
    >> testing of it in 2007...?...
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    >> OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected
    >>

    >> > <sniff> I was expecting to see Moonraker posting in an OE-specific
    >> > newsgroup with further questions about OE...
    >> > --
    >> > ~PAÞ

  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    <one in every crowd>

    "Stop processing more rules" won't be available if "Delete from server" is
    selected.

    "Delete it" option just moves it to Deleted Items and yes, if "Stop
    processsing more rules" isn't also checked, the next rule will be applied.

    NEXT??
    --
    ~PAÞ

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Even if the first rule results in the message being deleted?

    > > Message Rules are applied hierarchically (if that's a word). Simply
    > > put, if a rule doesn't end in "Stop processing more rules", the next
    > > rule *will* be applied to the message.
    > >
    > > Message Rules Tips
    > > http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm
    > >
    > > Why doesn't my rule work?
    > > http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > PCR wrote:
    > > > Oh. OK, OK, I'm sure he will! Can you make a definitive statement
    > > > about "stop processing more rules", or must Terhune & I begin
    > > > extensive testing of it in 2007...?...
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217243
    > > > OLEXP: Message Rules in Outlook Express May Not Work as Expected

Microsoft Servers Windows