Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?

Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?
11 answers Last reply
More about under fastest processor permitted

    It probably varies in reality, but the nominal figure I've seen is 2.1 GHz.
    I'd assume you *might* have problems with processors that are somewhat
    slower, and you *probably* will have problems with faster processors.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?

    > Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?

    Probably there isn't a limit. I'm running a Intel Celeron D
    2.4GHz(overclocked to 2.8GHz, even run it at 3.0GHz - but that's the chip
    limit). Only have a Celeron D because I couldn't afford any better.

    But there is a limit. I read it in a newsgroup post.
    "jkb" wrote:

    > > Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?
    >
    > Probably there isn't a limit. I'm running a Intel Celeron D
    > 2.4GHz(overclocked to 2.8GHz, even run it at 3.0GHz - but that's the chip
    > limit). Only have a Celeron D because I couldn't afford any better.

    > It probably varies in reality, but the nominal figure I've seen is 2.1
    GHz.
    > I'd assume you *might* have problems with processors that are somewhat
    > slower, and you *probably* will have problems with faster processors.

    But then how coome my 2.8GHz is working fine? Or does my Win98SE make a
    difference?

    I don't know. I only know what I've seen. As I said, I'm certain the effect
    varies significantly depending on mobo and processor. It's being SE *might*
    have some effect, but I can't say what that would be.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:OnA6LuzqFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> It probably varies in reality, but the nominal figure I've seen is 2.1
    > GHz.
    >> I'd assume you *might* have problems with processors that are somewhat
    >> slower, and you *probably* will have problems with faster processors.
    >
    > But then how coome my 2.8GHz is working fine? Or does my Win98SE make a
    > difference?

    > But there is a limit. I read it in a newsgroup post.

    Maybe not for SE.

    > I don't know. I only know what I've seen. As I said, I'm certain the
    effect
    > varies significantly depending on mobo and processor. It's being SE
    *might*
    > have some effect, but I can't say what that would be.

    ASRock P4i45GV, Intel Celeron D 2.4GHz. I've overclocked it to 2.8GHz. Even
    ran it up to 3.0GHz sometimes. Windows always boots fine - the speed seems
    to work.

    There is no specific limit--what it comes down to is whatever works. There
    is a problem with some faster processors--see this article:

    Windows Protection Error in NDIS with a CPU That Is Faster Than 2.1 GHz
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312108

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > > > Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?

    > "jkb" wrote:> >

    > > Probably there isn't a limit.

    > But there is a limit. I read it in a newsgroup post.

    Oh well, if you read it in a NG it must be true . . .

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    2.1 GHz for Windows ***98***. due to a timing problem with ndis.vxd on its
    operating system. Its visible at first boot attempt after installation if
    the processor is too fast. Ron noted a link with a fix

    98SE and ME ***DONT'** have this problem. Using either version of nids.vxd
    on 98 works.

    b11_ wrote:
    > Under W98, what is the fastest processor permitted?

    There is no Processor limit but yes there is a RAM limit (w/required mod)
    I currently run 3.4 GHz here with 1GB of ram...
    As mentioned though W98FE needs the NDIS fix where it's included in SE/ME

    Rick

Processors Microsoft Windows