USB2 drivers for 98SE

I have purchased a Belkin USB2 card (F5U219) with 3 USB2 ports.

The instructions say install driver (before installing card) from the
supplied disk. It seems to install a NEC USB2 driver, but then asks me
to install the Win98SE disk to find the USB2 drivers. Then it cannot
find them.

I have since tried installing the card first but it makes no difference.

I have searched the Belkin site and Googled, but not found an answer.

Can anyone help me to find the 'missing' 98SE USB2 drivers? Or give me
an alternative install procedure?

Thanks

Mike

[System is 98SE, SA6 motherboard; two hard disks, CD-RW drive, Seagate
tape drive, 512Mb memory.]

Michael J Davis
http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
<><
For this is what the Lord has said to me,
"Go and post a Watchman and let
him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
<><
5 answers Last reply
More about usb2 drivers 98se

    The manual for your specific hardware that I see at the Belkin website does
    NOT indicate installing the drivers BEFORE installing the USB 2.0 adapter
    card. See steps 1, 2, and 3. And, I wish all software driver installations
    were this explicit for installing hardware as this manual. The install
    procedure in the manual at their website seems adequate, appropriate, and
    well detailed. Care to try again?

    For those seeking the website, the web address is intuitive. I.E. "belkin".
    Their is no manual for the low-profile cards F5U219-LP, just the regular two
    listed, F5U219. And, those two are identical. The manual is in PDF format
    requiring Adobe (not free) or Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) installation
    before attempting to open the file..

    > The manual for your specific hardware that I see at the Belkin website
    does
    > NOT indicate installing the drivers BEFORE installing the USB 2.0 adapter
    > card. See steps 1, 2, and 3. And, I wish all software driver
    installations
    > were this explicit for installing hardware as this manual. The install
    > procedure in the manual at their website seems adequate, appropriate, and
    > well detailed. Care to try again?
    >
    > For those seeking the website, the web address is intuitive. I.E.
    "belkin".
    > Their is no manual for the low-profile cards F5U219-LP, just the regular
    two
    > listed, F5U219. And, those two are identical. <snip>

    The URL for drivers and manual is

    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5U219&lang=1&mode=

    The two F5U219 cards are not identical. The old one has two ports and the
    newer one has three. Note that the manual is from 2002 and really was
    written for the old version.

    I just bought and installed a F5U219 and a F5U222. Both were used and the
    original owner wrote in the F5U219 manual to install software first. The
    F5U222 manual states to install software first. The same driver, revised as
    of two days ago, is used for both cards. I installed the driver first for
    both cards and all went well. My conclusion is that the old F5U219 manual
    from 2002 was never updated when drivers and installation procedures
    changed, not to mention that the card itself changed.

    Download the latest driver, install it, and then install the card.

    "Frank346" <frank346@groznyk.com> wrote in message

    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > The manual for your specific hardware that I see at the Belkin website
    > does
    > > NOT indicate installing the drivers BEFORE installing the USB 2.0
    adapter
    > > card. See steps 1, 2, and 3. And, I wish all software driver
    > installations
    > > were this explicit for installing hardware as this manual. The install
    > > procedure in the manual at their website seems adequate, appropriate,
    and
    > > well detailed. Care to try again?
    > >
    > > For those seeking the website, the web address is intuitive. I.E.
    > "belkin".
    > > Their is no manual for the low-profile cards F5U219-LP, just the regular
    > two
    > > listed, F5U219. And, those two are identical. <snip>
    >
    > The URL for drivers and manual is
    >
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5U219&lang=1&mode=
    >
    > The two F5U219 cards are not identical. The old one has two ports and the
    > newer one has three. Note that the manual is from 2002 and really was
    > written for the old version.
    >
    > I just bought and installed a F5U219 and a F5U222. Both were used and the
    > original owner wrote in the F5U219 manual to install software first. The
    > F5U222 manual states to install software first. The same driver, revised
    as
    > of two days ago, is used for both cards. I installed the driver first for
    > both cards and all went well. My conclusion is that the old F5U219 manual
    > from 2002 was never updated when drivers and installation procedures
    > changed, not to mention that the card itself changed.
    >
    > Download the latest driver, install it, and then install the card.

    Dear Mr/Ms snipper,

    I ***NEVER*** said the two F5U219 cards were identical.
    The 2 manuals that I mentioned are identical in reference to installing the
    card and software drivers. I compared for assurance before posting. Then,
    I found out something else. The links are identical to the same manual.for
    both F5U219 cards....
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf

    http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf

    Which means they're the same manual.

    The release notes dated Jan 2004 for the F5U219, shows no indication of
    show fixes as the drivers were updated over time.
    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/USB%202.0%20release%20notes.pdf

    As far as I can tell, the 3 port version was made in 2003.
    http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/bulletins/uploads/PB_F5U219_2003_fr.pdf

    The F5U222 is a cardbus version for laptops with cardbus connector. The
    card is connected ***BEFORE*** the drivers are installed per its manaul.
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    Identical manuals listed for both F5U222s.
    No other manual listed for this model.

    Your information regarding loading the drivers first may be accurate. BUT,
    I doubt it. Typically, USB 1.1 drivers are not force loaded. Rather, the
    hardware is already visible to the OS. Then, the USB 2.0 driver is
    installed.
    PC motherboards typically load USB 2.0 driver the same way in Windows 98SE.
    First windows loads its drivers first for USB 1.1, then the user loads the
    USB 2.0 drivers from the mobo CD. All the time, during this procedure, the
    USB controllers and ports are enabled in the bios. Thus "visible" to the PC
    and the OS. Just like having a USB PCI adapter plugged in prior to
    installing the drivers.....

    Typically, windows 98SE loads the controller driver for all the controllers
    it finds, then sets up the ports. Then, the USB 2.0 driver will enable USB
    2.0 controllers for all those with that capability. Whether a controller is
    added, or port is added internally or externally has NO bearing.

    > Dear Mr/Ms snipper,
    >
    > I ***NEVER*** said the two F5U219 cards were identical.
    > The 2 manuals that I mentioned are identical in reference to installing
    the
    > card and software drivers. I compared for assurance before posting.
    Then,
    > I found out something else. The links are identical to the same
    manual.for
    > both F5U219 cards....
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf
    >
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf
    >
    > Which means they're the same manual.

    Yep, the same old manual that wasn't updated when the card was.

    > The release notes dated Jan 2004 for the F5U219, shows no indication of
    > show fixes as the drivers were updated over time.

    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/USB%202.0%20release%20notes.pdf

    I don't see any discussion of installation at all in these notes.

    > As far as I can tell, the 3 port version was made in 2003.
    > http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/bulletins/uploads/PB_F5U219_2003_fr.pdf
    >
    > The F5U222 is a cardbus version for laptops with cardbus connector. The
    > card is connected ***BEFORE*** the drivers are installed per its manaul.
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    > Identical manuals listed for both F5U222s.
    > No other manual listed for this model.

    The manual you referenced is old, from 2001. The newer multilanguage manual
    (9/30/2002) says to load the driver first (see page 5).
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5U222&lang=1&mode=

    > Your information regarding loading the drivers first may be accurate.
    BUT,
    > I doubt it. <snippety-snip>

    Doesn't matter if you doubt it, loading the driver first is the updated
    procedure. That's the way I did it and the installation went smoothy-smooth
    for both the F5U219 and F5U222. Didn't try it the old way and don't know
    what entanglements would result. If using the latest driver from 8/26/2005,
    load the driver first, reboot, and then install the card for a trouble-free
    installation.

    Lil' Dave <spamyourself@virus.net> opined
    >"Frank346" <frank346@groznyk.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The URL for drivers and manual is
    >>
    >> http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5U219&lang=1&mode=
    >>
    >> The two F5U219 cards are not identical. The old one has two ports and the
    >> newer one has three. Note that the manual is from 2002 and really was
    >> written for the old version.
    >>

    >Dear Mr/Ms snipper,
    >
    >I ***NEVER*** said the two F5U219 cards were identical.
    >The 2 manuals that I mentioned are identical in reference to installing the
    >card and software drivers. I compared for assurance before posting. Then,
    >I found out something else. The links are identical to the same manual.for
    >both F5U219 cards....
    >http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf
    >
    >http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73941-F5U219.pdf
    >
    >Which means they're the same manual.
    >
    >The release notes dated Jan 2004 for the F5U219, shows no indication of
    >show fixes as the drivers were updated over time.
    >http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/USB%202.0%20release%20notes.pdf
    >
    >As far as I can tell, the 3 port version was made in 2003.
    >http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/bulletins/uploads/PB_F5U219_2003_fr.pdf
    >
    >The F5U222 is a cardbus version for laptops with cardbus connector. The
    >card is connected ***BEFORE*** the drivers are installed per its manaul.
    >http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    >http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P73890-F5U222-man.pdf
    >Identical manuals listed for both F5U222s.
    >No other manual listed for this model.
    >
    >Your information regarding loading the drivers first may be accurate. BUT,
    >I doubt it. Typically, USB 1.1 drivers are not force loaded. Rather, the
    >hardware is already visible to the OS. Then, the USB 2.0 driver is
    >installed.
    >PC motherboards typically load USB 2.0 driver the same way in Windows 98SE.
    >First windows loads its drivers first for USB 1.1, then the user loads the
    >USB 2.0 drivers from the mobo CD. All the time, during this procedure, the
    >USB controllers and ports are enabled in the bios. Thus "visible" to the PC
    >and the OS. Just like having a USB PCI adapter plugged in prior to
    >installing the drivers.....
    >
    >Typically, windows 98SE loads the controller driver for all the controllers
    >it finds, then sets up the ports. Then, the USB 2.0 driver will enable USB
    >2.0 controllers for all those with that capability. Whether a controller is
    >added, or port is added internally or externally has NO bearing.

    OK, it's time to break in and thank you *both*. I haven't had time
    during the week to do this, but I just done it and it worked.

    You have solved the problem. Maybe that its that Belkin didn't point me
    in the right direction, because when I (originally) went to their site
    and entered the model number - it said "there are no downloads for this
    model".

    Yes, I have the 'newer three port' card, and the printed instructions
    for win98SE do say install software *first* (I did spell that out).

    However, thanks to you I downloaded file U2v241.exe. ran it, then
    installed the card, and after a reboot (first boot said installing
    drivers and hung!) it recognised the card immediately.

    So thanks! I'm not sure which one of you ends up right - you lost me
    anyway! But thanks to you both for caring - that's what really matters!

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

Drivers Windows