Epson 740 - why is print getting fuzzier down the page?

Dee

Dee wrote:
> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epsn740testprint.jpg
>
> I've got this problem with my printer. (see link)
>
> I can do a cleanign cycle and it looks fine
>
> Then do a test print and it's fair crisp and clear at the top but as you
> get further down the page it gets fuzzier
>
> I regreased the printer rail, should I try silicon spray? or is
> something else causing this problem?

Anyway I'm thinking the problem is caused by no enough lubrication on
the printer rail?

A friend is going to get me some silicon grease to try.

Dee wrote:
> Dee wrote:
>
>> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epsn740testprint.jpg
>>
>> I've got this problem with my printer. (see link)
>>
>> I can do a cleanign cycle and it looks fine
>>
>> Then do a test print and it's fair crisp and clear at the top but as
>> you get further down the page it gets fuzzier
>>
>> I regreased the printer rail, should I try silicon spray? or is
>> something else causing this problem?
>

> Anyway I'm thinking the problem is caused by no enough lubrication on
> the printer rail?
>
> A friend is going to get me some silicon grease to try.

It looks to me like the printhead is picking up ink from the sponge on
which it rests between printing sessions. It returns to this sponge on
every pass, and supposedly is wiped clean. It's too full of ink now. You
need to get that sponge out, clean it, and reinstall it. IIRC, distilled
water + a few drops of dishwashing detergent + a dollop of isopropyl
(=rubbing) alcohol will do the trick. Rinse in clean wtaer with dollop
of isopropyl alcohol in it. I can't recall hot to get the cover off, I
don't have my 740 anymore.

HTH&GL