TEMP & temporary internet files folders

September 15, 2004 11:32:13 AM

Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):

C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there

Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when

opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.

The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
be deleted.

I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
and get rid of this virus that was

seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder

1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder

2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.

Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
delete the items.

thanks

BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
the folder Content IE

cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
IE is not there anymore
September 15, 2004 1:59:14 PM

"MR" wrote:

> Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
>
> C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there
>
> Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
>
> opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
>
> The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
> folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
> be deleted.
>
> I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
> and get rid of this virus that was
>
> seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
>
> 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
>
> 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
>
> Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
> delete the items.
>
> thanks
>
> BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
> the folder Content IE
>
> cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
> IE is not there anymore

This is an easier way to delete all the junk,including the index.dat you
mentioned.
yes It's a good idea to clean this out on occasion."the index.dat can and
does get large and (may?) bog down your IE.
More importantly through is the virus you mentioned.
What is the name of it and what other steps have you taken to remove it?
September 15, 2004 2:01:03 PM

"MR" wrote:

> Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
>
> C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there
>
> Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
>
> opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
>
> The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
> folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
> be deleted.
>
> I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
> and get rid of this virus that was
>
> seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
>
> 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
>
> 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
>
> Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
> delete the items.
>
> thanks
>
> BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
> the folder Content IE
>
> cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
> IE is not there anymore

Sorry I forgot to give the link for one stop cleaning of your files.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Related resources
September 15, 2004 3:39:09 PM

thanks MAP and all-
THe virus is downloader agent (and then a letter,cant
remember which one)-But when I placed it in the vault,
its listed as winad client.I killed it there. Goten this
varialbe (downloader)twice. Ive done the following:
disabled SR and done my AVG with that. I used 2 online
scanners as well while online. SInce I cant do AVG in
safe mode, Ive done stinger but would like another way as
well (heard trend micro can do safe mode but dont know
how to DL scanner & do it correctly)
Did ad-aware in safe mode too-STILL... after 5 days of
being clean, it came back last nite and the location was
in the content IE folder so that is why I got the idea to
just delete the things as well- I will try the link you
suggested and see if that helps- TIA
--

September 15, 2004 6:44:14 PM

"MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
> Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
>
> C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in
there

> Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
>
> opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
>
> The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
> folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
> be deleted.
>
> I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored
there
> and get rid of this virus that was
>
> seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
>
> 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
Which program puts files in the folder. Both are temporary file storage
locations.

> 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
You should use IE to purge its temporary files and cookies.
Jim
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 8:42:38 PM

All you have to do is go to "Internet Options" in Internet Explorer, tools
menu.

In the middle section - "Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete
Files..." button and tick the "All Offline Content" box.

That will clear out your internet files.

The files in your temp folder are print spool files, downloaded temporary
files (zip files etc) and other Windows temporary files. Its usually OK to
delete things in here, unless they are in use by windows. I don't know how
you find out what is in use, but I personally just clear it all out from
time to time - files in use generally refuse to delete!

As for virus removal - get a virus scanner. Norton, or McAfee etc. They are
not too expensive. If you have kids going online, they will probably
inevitably find infected files, so you really need protection or you might
catch a 'nasty'.!

GT

!