TEMP & temporary internet files folders

Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):

C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there

Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when

opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.

The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
be deleted.

I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
and get rid of this virus that was

seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder

1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder

2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.

Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
delete the items.

thanks

BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
the folder Content IE

cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
IE is not there anymore
5 answers Last reply
More about temp temporary internet files folders

    "MR" wrote:

    > Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
    >
    > C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there
    >
    > Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
    >
    > opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
    >
    > The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
    > folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
    > be deleted.
    >
    > I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
    > and get rid of this virus that was
    >
    > seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
    >
    > 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
    >
    > 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
    >
    > Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
    > delete the items.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
    > the folder Content IE
    >
    > cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
    > IE is not there anymore

    This is an easier way to delete all the junk,including the index.dat you
    mentioned.
    yes It's a good idea to clean this out on occasion."the index.dat can and
    does get large and (may?) bog down your IE.
    More importantly through is the virus you mentioned.
    What is the name of it and what other steps have you taken to remove it?

    "MR" wrote:

    > Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
    >
    > C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in there
    >
    > Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
    >
    > opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
    >
    > The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
    > folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
    > be deleted.
    >
    > I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored there
    > and get rid of this virus that was
    >
    > seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
    >
    > 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
    >
    > 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
    >
    > Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
    > delete the items.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
    > the folder Content IE
    >
    > cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the contenet
    > IE is not there anymore

    Sorry I forgot to give the link for one stop cleaning of your files.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    thanks MAP and all-
    THe virus is downloader agent (and then a letter,cant
    remember which one)-But when I placed it in the vault,
    its listed as winad client.I killed it there. Goten this
    varialbe (downloader)twice. Ive done the following:
    disabled SR and done my AVG with that. I used 2 online
    scanners as well while online. SInce I cant do AVG in
    safe mode, Ive done stinger but would like another way as
    well (heard trend micro can do safe mode but dont know
    how to DL scanner & do it correctly)
    Did ad-aware in safe mode too-STILL... after 5 days of
    being clean, it came back last nite and the location was
    in the content IE folder so that is why I got the idea to
    just delete the things as well- I will try the link you
    suggested and see if that helps- TIA
    --

    "MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
    >
    > C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in
    there

    > Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
    >
    > opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
    >
    > The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
    > folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
    > be deleted.
    >
    > I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored
    there
    > and get rid of this virus that was
    >
    > seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
    >
    > 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
    Which program puts files in the folder. Both are temporary file storage
    locations.

    > 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
    You should use IE to purge its temporary files and cookies.
    Jim

    All you have to do is go to "Internet Options" in Internet Explorer, tools
    menu.

    In the middle section - "Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete
    Files..." button and tick the "All Offline Content" box.

    That will clear out your internet files.

    The files in your temp folder are print spool files, downloaded temporary
    files (zip files etc) and other Windows temporary files. Its usually OK to
    delete things in here, unless they are in use by windows. I don't know how
    you find out what is in use, but I personally just clear it all out from
    time to time - files in use generally refuse to delete!

    As for virus removal - get a virus scanner. Norton, or McAfee etc. They are
    not too expensive. If you have kids going online, they will probably
    inevitably find infected files, so you really need protection or you might
    catch a 'nasty'.!

    GT

    "MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi- I deleted just about everything in this section here: (my kids acc't):
    >
    > C\Doc & settings\my kids account\local settings\TEMP\ every folder in
    there

    > Every folder in there was named a mixture of numbers & letters and when
    >
    > opened, has what appears to be junk-Now, the TEMP folder is empty.
    >
    > The 'temporary internet files' folder in CONTENT IE has the same kind of
    > folders and I deleted all but the index file and one folder that could not
    > be deleted.
    >
    > I did the same to my user account in an effot to minimize junk stored
    there
    > and get rid of this virus that was
    >
    > seems to hide in one of my kids content IE folder
    >
    > 1-Whats the difference between the temp and the temp internet files folder
    >
    > 2- Is it safe to do this kind o f purging every now and then.
    >
    > Everything is sitting in the recycle bin till Im sure I can safetly perm.
    > delete the items.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > BTW, I mentioned that I did the same to my user acc't- I must have deleted
    > the folder Content IE
    >
    > cause when I click to open the temp internet files folder, then the
    contenet
    > IE is not there anymore

Internet Explorer Internet Windows XP