Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 RAM usage

Last response: in Windows 7
April 18, 2011 10:37:04 PM

Hey people, i was planning on buying a new pc, prefrably for gaming. However i have read that windows 7 requires up to 2GB of RAM to use. Now lets say i bought a pc with 3 gb of RAM, if i went to play a game would it only be able to access 1gb of ram due to the other 2gb being used for windows 7?

any answers would be appreciated

More about : windows ram usage

a b $ Windows 7
April 18, 2011 11:33:37 PM

You should have a at least 4GB's of RAM. If your games are RAM intensive you may want to with 8GB's of Ram . (Win 7 64 bit also)
April 18, 2011 11:52:12 PM

yeah as mentioned you should go for some decent quality 4gb like g skill or corsair or in worst case good quality and cheap ram OCZ platinum.
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 3:06:19 AM

The amount of RAM required by Windows varies a lot, but you can run it on a lot less than 2GB. I've run windows on a machine with only 768K, and while I didn't try to run much on top of it I didn't have any problems with it.

The real answer to your question is to look at the requirements that are stated for the game itself. They will take the amount of memory used by Widows into account. If the game says that it can run on a 3GB machine, then you should be fine running it with 3GB of RAM. But it still might perform even better with more RAM.

Don't forget that you need to use 64-bit Windows in order to take full advantage of 4GB or more of RAM (although the game itself doesn't need to be 64-bit).
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 5:13:44 AM

devonsurf said:
Hey people, i was planning on buying a new pc, prefrably for gaming. However i have read that windows 7 requires up to 2GB of RAM to use. Now lets say i bought a pc with 3 gb of RAM, if i went to play a game would it only be able to access 1gb of ram due to the other 2gb being used for windows 7?

any answers would be appreciated

To answer your question - No, the program would have access to more then one gig of RAM on a 3 gig RAM windows 7 system.

a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 7:51:13 AM

In my experience, Windows 7 x64 uses between 800MB and 1.2Gb, tops. 2GB total is a bit light for modern games, but 3GB should be enough, although I'd recommend 4GB for performance reasons (dual-channel functionality). That is unless you get a rig with triple-channel memory.
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 6:34:55 PM

With 2 x 2GB kits of RAM available for $40 or less, I wouldn't be thinking about 2 or 3 GB of RAM
April 19, 2011 7:28:16 PM

I agree that 3 gb is quite enough i run games on 2gb for some time and after upgrading to 6gb the frame rate increased for not more than 5 FPS
April 20, 2011 2:45:51 AM

6GB of low latency 1600 brand name memory cost me $80 and that's didn't include the $10 rebate I never mailed in.

Getting a new computer with under 4GB of ram is being parsimonious.
!