ASROCK RELEASES AM2 EXPANSION BOARD DETAILS!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
the expansion slot is above the pci-e slot on the 939dual sata2, not sure about the others?

Yes, it goes into a yellow slot above the pci x16 connector, a yellow slot:
                    ┬
939Dual-SATA2.jpg

Here's a pic of the riser:
AM2CPU%20Board.jpg

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
the board has a special pci type slot that is only for the am2.
the amazing thing is they put the memory on the am2 card,i never even thought about that,,,,duh! i dont know how many times i have seen pci memory cards.that should have been a no brainer.
the performance on the board is still lacking refinement,however,the upgradeability of it is second to none,asrock is making bank where the snobs refuse to.
has there ever been a board that spans tech changes like this?
2gens of cpu
2gens of video
2gens of memory.

umm...the S939 board from ASROCK for the "K8Upgrade" series mobos:
939CPU%20Board.jpg

mjcutri

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Does anyone know if the AM2 expansion board is actually going to be available in the US?
I did some quick checking and I can't find the 939CPU Board anywhere.
I was thinking about getting the 939SLI32-eSATA2, but I wasn't sure about the availability of the upgrade boards.

Harvey13

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
the board has a special pci type slot that is only for the am2.
the amazing thing is they put the memory on the am2 card,i never even thought about that,,,,duh! i dont know how many times i have seen pci memory cards.that should have been a no brainer.
the performance on the board is still lacking refinement,however,the upgradeability of it is second to none,asrock is making bank where the snobs refuse to.
has there ever been a board that spans tech changes like this?
2gens of cpu
2gens of video
2gens of memory.

Yeah this old hat... from the 1980's.
Commodore Amiga 2000 and 3000 series had processor upgrade slots, the 2000 base had a Motorola 68000 but you could get up to 68050 and PowerPC processor upgrades (yeah count em that's six generations of upgrades on one motherboard) that plug into the slot. All had memory and most had faster SCSI drive controllers onboard. Amiga also was the first with a custom Video Card slot. Not enough of old farts new it back then but Amiga blew away both Macs and PC's at every level except sales.

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Does anyone know if the AM2 expansion board is actually going to be available in the US?
I was thinking about getting the 939SLI32-eSATA2, but I wasn't sure about the availability of the upgrade boards.

i remember hearing a few days back about how the sli no longer works on that board because nvidia blocked it in their new driver releases. the sli from uli was something nvidia wanted to kill so they bought the company. it sux cause the uli 1697 was a dammed good southbridge chip for the ati based mobos. it's supposed to be available soon, but seeing as how am2 release date is tomorrow i dont think anyone is selling them yet.

---------------------------------
i'd get the am2 cpu board, but i just ordered 2gb of ocz ddr500 plats. i'll probably regret it in a month, but oh well. conroe is just around the corner and the real glove slapping between amd and intel won't start til next year. whatever happened to sun chips? what if microchip suddenly comes out from nowhere and bishslaps both amd and intel. that'd be awesome.

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

i remember hearing a few days back about how the sli no longer works on that board because nvidia blocked it in their new driver releases. the sli from uli was something nvidia wanted to kill so they bought the company. it sux cause the uli 1697 was a dammed good southbridge chip for the ati based mobos. it's supposed to be available soon, but seeing as how am2 release date is tomorrow i dont think anyone is selling them yet.

---------------------------------
i'd get the am2 cpu board, but i just ordered 2gb of ocz ddr500 plats. i'll probably regret it in a month, but oh well. conroe is just around the corner and the real glove slapping between amd and intel won't start til next year. whatever happened to sun chips? what if microchip suddenly comes out from nowhere and bishslaps both amd and intel. that'd be awesome.