An Exception OE has occurred

After install of Win Media Player 9 and REBOOT I get BLUE SCREEN:
An Exception OE has occurred @ 0028:00000002 in VxD---
This was called from 0028:C187A1F7 in VxD---

If I restart in safe mode and uninstall WMP9 from control player like your
suppose to it the system reverys back to vers 7 and reboots
normally. It doesn't identify specifically which VXD's are causing the
problem. I have full logs to share with anyone who would help me to solve
this mystery. Thanks
Mike in Texas
pmadamstx@hotmail.com
7 answers Last reply
More about exception occurred

    "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >After install of Win Media Player 9 and REBOOT I get BLUE SCREEN:
    >An Exception OE has occurred @ 0028:00000002 in VxD---
    >This was called from 0028:C187A1F7 in VxD---
    >
    >If I restart in safe mode and uninstall WMP9 from control player like your
    >suppose to it the system reverys back to vers 7 and reboots
    >normally. It doesn't identify specifically which VXD's are causing the
    >problem. I have full logs to share with anyone who would help me to solve
    >this mystery. Thanks
    >Mike in Texas
    >pmadamstx@hotmail.com

    Fatal Exception 0E errors in the 0028: address segment are quite often
    caused by video driver problems.

    Go to your video card manufacturer's website and download the latest
    Windows 98 drivers for your specific video card model and install
    them. Then try WMP9 again.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >After install of Win Media Player 9 and REBOOT I get BLUE SCREEN:
    > >An Exception OE has occurred @ 0028:00000002 in VxD---
    > >This was called from 0028:C187A1F7 in VxD---
    > >
    > >If I restart in safe mode and uninstall WMP9 from control player like your
    > >suppose to it the system reverys back to vers 7 and reboots
    > >normally. It doesn't identify specifically which VXD's are causing the
    > >problem. I have full logs to share with anyone who would help me to solve
    > >this mystery. Thanks
    > >Mike in Texas
    > >pmadamstx@hotmail.com
    >

    > Fatal Exception 0E errors in the 0028: address segment are quite often
    > caused by video driver problems.
    >
    > Go to your video card manufacturer's website and download the latest
    > Windows 98 drivers for your specific video card model and install
    > them. Then try WMP9 again.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I have requested a bios upgrade for my award bios befor I reapply the ATI
    drivers for my Radeon 7500 video card. Once I recieve the bios and reinstall
    the drivers ( 8.03.98.3-050117a-021000E) I will let you know how it goes. I
    did install WMP after I removed the ATI drivers and was running in vga mode
    and still recieved the same OE exception as before when I rebooted after
    installation. Again I went into safe mode upon the next boot and removed (
    rolled back ) to version 7 of WMP and window started up sucessfully as prior
    to WMP 9 installation. I was in VGA mode all this time. I'd like to share
    another bit of info that I gleaned from dependency app that there were two
    dll's that the program failed to link to
    From Dependency Walker v 2.1.2519 after install of WMPlayer 9.00.00.2980
    I checked the dependencies of WMPlayer.exe and got 2 red flags:
    Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.(apphelp.dll)
    Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
    export function in a delay-load dependent module.(userenv.dll)
    Results of wmsetup.log prior to reboot after instalation of WMPlayer
    [WMC Logging begun. Logging at level: '2']
    ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result: 0x80004005.

    "Mike in Texas" wrote:

    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >After install of Win Media Player 9 and REBOOT I get BLUE SCREEN:
    > > >An Exception OE has occurred @ 0028:00000002 in VxD---
    > > >This was called from 0028:C187A1F7 in VxD---
    > > >
    > > >If I restart in safe mode and uninstall WMP9 from control player like your
    > > >suppose to it the system reverys back to vers 7 and reboots
    > > >normally. It doesn't identify specifically which VXD's are causing the
    > > >problem. I have full logs to share with anyone who would help me to solve
    > > >this mystery. Thanks
    > > >Mike in Texas
    > > >pmadamstx@hotmail.com
    > >

    > > Fatal Exception 0E errors in the 0028: address segment are quite often
    > > caused by video driver problems.
    > >
    > > Go to your video card manufacturer's website and download the latest
    > > Windows 98 drivers for your specific video card model and install
    > > them. Then try WMP9 again.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >
    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >
    > I have requested a bios upgrade for my award bios befor I reapply the ATI
    > drivers for my Radeon 7500 video card. Once I recieve the bios and reinstall
    > the drivers ( 8.03.98.3-050117a-021000E) I will let you know how it goes. I
    > did install WMP after I removed the ATI drivers and was running in vga mode
    > and still recieved the same OE exception as before when I rebooted after
    > installation. Again I went into safe mode upon the next boot and removed (
    > rolled back ) to version 7 of WMP and window started up sucessfully as prior
    > to WMP 9 installation. I was in VGA mode all this time. I'd like to share
    > another bit of info that I gleaned from dependency app that there were two
    > dll's that the program failed to link to
    > From Dependency Walker v 2.1.2519 after install of WMPlayer 9.00.00.2980
    > I checked the dependencies of WMPlayer.exe and got 2 red flags:
    > Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.(apphelp.dll)
    > Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
    > export function in a delay-load dependent module.(userenv.dll)
    > Results of wmsetup.log prior to reboot after instalation of WMPlayer
    > [WMC Logging begun. Logging at level: '2']
    > ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    > ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result: 0x80004005.
    > ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    > ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result: 0x80004005.

    Ron, I have recieved info back from esupport that I am using the most
    current Bios upgrade, thus I have downloaded and installed the current ATI
    drivers for my ATI Radeon 7500. Using Dependency Walker I am getting a warning
    LoadLibraryA("wtsapi32.dll") returned NULL by thread 1. Error: A device
    attached to the system is not functioning (31)
    yet going to device manage all my devices ( hardware) are functioning
    properly. How do I narrow down which VXD is missing or present (?) and making
    a call to another unknown VXD as is reported in the blue screen crash text? I
    am using an Intel Anypoint USB HPNA, the reason I mention this is the nature
    of many of the errors reported seem to point to network dll's. Again, I would
    be happy to send you the logs from dependency walker if that would help you
    expiditiously troubleshoot the problem.
    Thanks, Mike in Texas

    I HAVE WMPlayer.exe of version 9.00.00.2980, same as your Dependency
    Walker is speaking of. BUT, I have no apphelp.dll OR userenv.dll in this
    machine. AND, they are not in my Win98SE .cab's, either. They aren't
    Win98SE files. Finally, neither apphelp.dll NOR userenv.dll is mentioned
    in my wmsetup.log, which actually does contain ERRORS similar to the
    ones you've mentioned. But WMP 9.0c is working fine enough for me. So...
    I don't know what all of that is about.

    Maybe... "START button, Run, DxDiag". That is the DirectX Diagnostic
    Tool. Does it have a message for you?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    two
    | dll's that the program failed to link to
    | From Dependency Walker v 2.1.2519 after install of WMPlayer
    9.00.00.2980
    | I checked the dependencies of WMPlayer.exe and got 2 red flags:
    | Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not
    found.(apphelp.dll)
    | Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
    | export function in a delay-load dependent module.(userenv.dll)
    | Results of wmsetup.log prior to reboot after instalation of WMPlayer
    | [WMC Logging begun. Logging at level: '2']
    | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:
    0x80004005.
    | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:

    No-- it's WMP v. 9.00.00.3250, by it's About box. I have DirectX v.9.0c,
    BUT perhaps I do wish I never went higher than v.8.1.

    --
    | I HAVE WMPlayer.exe of version 9.00.00.2980, same as your Dependency
    | Walker is speaking of. BUT, I have no apphelp.dll OR userenv.dll in
    this
    | machine. AND, they are not in my Win98SE .cab's, either. They aren't
    | Win98SE files. Finally, neither apphelp.dll NOR userenv.dll is
    mentioned
    | in my wmsetup.log, which actually does contain ERRORS similar to the
    | ones you've mentioned. But WMP 9.0c is working fine enough for me.
    So...
    | I don't know what all of that is about.
    |
    | Maybe... "START button, Run, DxDiag". That is the DirectX Diagnostic
    | Tool. Does it have a message for you?
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | |
    | |
    | | "Ron Martell" wrote:
    | |

    | like your
    | the
    | solve
    | | >

    | | > Fatal Exception 0E errors in the 0028: address segment are quite
    | often
    | | > caused by video driver problems.
    | | >
    | | > Go to your video card manufacturer's website and download the
    latest
    | | > Windows 98 drivers for your specific video card model and install
    | | > them. Then try WMP9 again.
    | | >
    | | > Good luck
    | | >
    | | > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | | > --
    | | > Microsoft MVP
    | | > On-Line Help Computer Service
    | | > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    | | >
    | | > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | | > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    | | >
    | | I have requested a bios upgrade for my award bios befor I reapply
    the
    | ATI
    | | drivers for my Radeon 7500 video card. Once I recieve the bios and
    | reinstall
    | | the drivers ( 8.03.98.3-050117a-021000E) I will let you know how it
    | goes. I
    | | did install WMP after I removed the ATI drivers and was running in
    vga
    | mode
    | | and still recieved the same OE exception as before when I rebooted
    | after
    | | installation. Again I went into safe mode upon the next boot and
    | removed (
    | | rolled back ) to version 7 of WMP and window started up sucessfully
    as
    | prior
    | | to WMP 9 installation. I was in VGA mode all this time. I'd like to
    | share
    | | another bit of info that I gleaned from dependency app that there
    were
    | two
    | | dll's that the program failed to link to
    | | From Dependency Walker v 2.1.2519 after install of WMPlayer
    | 9.00.00.2980
    | | I checked the dependencies of WMPlayer.exe and got 2 red flags:
    | | Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not
    | found.(apphelp.dll)
    | | Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
    missing
    | | export function in a delay-load dependent module.(userenv.dll)
    | | Results of wmsetup.log prior to reboot after instalation of WMPlayer
    | | [WMC Logging begun. Logging at level: '2']
    | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:
    | 0x80004005.
    | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:
    | 0x80004005.
    | |

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | | dll's that the program failed to link to
    > | | From Dependency Walker v 2.1.2519 after install of WMPlayer
    > | 9.00.00.2980
    > | | I checked the dependencies of WMPlayer.exe and got 2 red flags:
    > | | Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not
    > | found.(apphelp.dll)
    > | | Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
    > missing
    > | | export function in a delay-load dependent module.(userenv.dll)
    > | | Results of wmsetup.log prior to reboot after instalation of WMPlayer
    > | | [WMC Logging begun. Logging at level: '2']
    > | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    > | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:
    > | 0x80004005.
    > | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Missing required component attribute 'TYPE'.
    > | | ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add component from reg. Result:

    I performed the DxDiag and all tests passed, So the problem would appear no
    to be related to Direct x, I am still waiting to hear back from Ron, and the
    offer still stands to send results of Dependency Walker of WMPlayer.exe to
    see where there are problems calling specific dll's and what the results
    might reveal.
    Thanks, Mike in Texas

    I don't know what's going on with Dependency Walker, why it says
    WMPlayer.exe wants access to apphelp.dll & userenv.dll. I guess it could
    be an add-on/plug-in of yours that I do not have. Let us see what
    Process Explorer says... It shows a ton of .dll's for WMPlayer.exe, but
    NOT those two!

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=apphelp.dll++userenv.dll&hl=en
    GG finds mention of "apphelp.dll userenv.dll" 338 times, but the
    earliest was in 2004. Go read some & get back to us.

    --

    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > | WMP 9.0c
    | >
    | > No-- it's WMP v. 9.00.00.3250, by it's About box. I have DirectX
    v.9.0c,
    | > BUT perhaps I do wish I never went higher than v.8.1.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > | I HAVE WMPlayer.exe of version 9.00.00.2980, same as your
    Dependency
    | > | Walker is speaking of. BUT, I have no apphelp.dll OR userenv.dll
    in
    | > this
    | > | machine. AND, they are not in my Win98SE .cab's, either. They
    aren't
    | > | Win98SE files. Finally, neither apphelp.dll NOR userenv.dll is
    | > mentioned
    | > | in my wmsetup.log, which actually does contain ERRORS similar to
    the
    | > | ones you've mentioned. But WMP 9.0c is working fine enough for me.
    | > So...
    | > | I don't know what all of that is about.
    | > |
    | > | Maybe... "START button, Run, DxDiag". That is the DirectX
    Diagnostic
    | > | Tool. Does it have a message for you?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > | should things get worse after this,
    | > | PCR
    | > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > | "Mike in Texas" <mikeadamstx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |

    SCREEN:

    | > | like your
    | > causing
    | > | the
    | > | solve

    | > | often

    | > latest

    | > the
    | > | ATI
    | > | reinstall
    | > | goes. I
    | > vga
    | > | mode
    | > | after
    | > | removed (
    | > as
    | > | prior
    | > | share
    | > were
    | > | two
    | > | 9.00.00.2980
    | > | found.(apphelp.dll)
    | > missing
    WMPlayer
    | > | 0x80004005.
    | > | 0x80004005.
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

    | I performed the DxDiag and all tests passed, So the problem would
    appear no
    | to be related to Direct x, I am still waiting to hear back from Ron,
    and the
    | offer still stands to send results of Dependency Walker of
    WMPlayer.exe to
    | see where there are problems calling specific dll's and what the
    results
    | might reveal.
    | Thanks, Mike in Texas

Windows