Backing up/saving files etc

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 28, 2005 7:09:20 PM

Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my hard
drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)

What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they can be
reloaded onto XP.

How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.

I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO support to
cure this.

Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

More about : backing saving files

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 7:09:21 PM

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my hard
> drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
>
> What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they can
be
> reloaded onto XP.
>
> How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.

Assuming you plan to instal XP on a new C: drive
formatted NTFS:
1. Copy to drive D: (formatted FAT) all doc files, config.
information and other material on C: you plan to reuse.
2. In your email browser / File / Export the address list to
drive D.
3. You can save Favorites by simply copying to D: all
C:\Windows\Favorites.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Are you sure your hardware will support XP? You say that the current machine
is from 1999. Not many machines from that era are powerful enough to support
XP decently. What are the basic hardware specs? CPU speed, RAM, HDD size?

There are different strategies for migrating to XP. Fact is, XP has a
built-in tool for transferring files and settings called, well, "File and
Settings Transfer" tool, or FAST. See here for more info:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Also, you'll want to review this article:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Seriously. Think long and hard about upgrading that machine to XP. I think
you'll find it to be much more efficient and economical to buy an entirely
new system.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my hard
> drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
>
> What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they can
> be
> reloaded onto XP.
>
> How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
>
> I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO support
> cure this.
>
> Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

August 31, 2005 8:16:55 AM

I save all my personal files and documents to another partition. Some burn
them to CD. Some do both.

If using IE, in the file selection in the upper left dropdown box, select
import/export. Select to save Favorites to file. Save this file to another
location other than the windows partition (C:) . Or save it there, then burn
it to CD.

If you use an ISP whose mail system requires logon, which most do, you might
back those settings up in OE. Same with newsgroup connection. If AOL or
similar, don't worry about it.

Does INCD work?

"Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my hard
> drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
>
> What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they can
be
> reloaded onto XP.
>
> How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
>
> I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO support
> cure this.
>
> Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

August 31, 2005 8:35:00 PM

Hi, and thankyou, "Lil' Dave"

As you may have gathered, I'm a novice at anything to do with computers.Like
with a jigsaw puzzles I've got the corners and some of the edges but there's
still a lot of empty space.

NO incd still does not work, it has not worked since I replaced the
rewriter, after the old liteon stopped working for no reason at all.

I may have to post a message, for some help.

Many thanks Steve.

<spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:o JtmazgrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I save all my personal files and documents to another partition. Some
burn
> them to CD. Some do both.
>
> If using IE, in the file selection in the upper left dropdown box, select
> import/export. Select to save Favorites to file. Save this file to
another
> location other than the windows partition (C:) . Or save it there, then
burn
> it to CD.
>
> If you use an ISP whose mail system requires logon, which most do, you
might
> back those settings up in OE. Same with newsgroup connection. If AOL or
> similar, don't worry about it.
>
> Does INCD work?
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my
hard
> > drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
> >
> > What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they
can
> be
> > reloaded onto XP.
> >
> > How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
> >
> > I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO
support
> > cure this.
> >
> > Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:15:34 AM

So INCD and Nero don't work, or just INCD?
There may be a chance you can save all the important stuff in ISO format to
CDR/RW if Nero is still working. A CD burned in ISO with the session closed
can be read on almost any PC without any aid from another application.
That's the Data CD in Nero. Not sure about Nero Express as I avoid that on
my desktop. Nero Express does have similar though. They would exist on
your desktop menu under programs.
Have been having good luck with the latest INCD version. The Nero website
also has a tool for cleaning up the old INCD application, before installing
the new one.

Ya need to be specific so we can give specific advice.
This is especially important for error messages, and software application
names, the version of the software can help at times too. Good luck.

> Hi, and thankyou, "Lil' Dave"
>
> As you may have gathered, I'm a novice at anything to do with
computers.Like
> with a jigsaw puzzles I've got the corners and some of the edges but
there's
> still a lot of empty space.
>
> NO incd still does not work, it has not worked since I replaced the
> rewriter, after the old liteon stopped working for no reason at all.
>
> I may have to post a message, for some help.
>
> Many thanks Steve.
>
> <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> news:o JtmazgrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I save all my personal files and documents to another partition. Some
> burn
> > them to CD. Some do both.
> >
> > If using IE, in the file selection in the upper left dropdown box,
select
> > import/export. Select to save Favorites to file. Save this file to
> another
> > location other than the windows partition (C:) . Or save it there, then
> burn
> > it to CD.
> >
> > If you use an ISP whose mail system requires logon, which most do, you
> might
> > back those settings up in OE. Same with newsgroup connection. If AOL
or
> > similar, don't worry about it.
> >
> > Does INCD work?
> >
> > "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my
> hard
> > > drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
> > >
> > > What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they
> can
> > be
> > > reloaded onto XP.
> > >
> > > How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
> > >
> > > I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO
> support
> > > cure this.
> > >
> > > Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:18:27 AM

Also vaguely remember something about disabling XP's native file burning to
implement 3rd party burning software properly. Don't remember how. Ask at
windowsxp.general newsgroup.
news:o JtmazgrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I save all my personal files and documents to another partition. Some
burn
> them to CD. Some do both.
>
> If using IE, in the file selection in the upper left dropdown box, select
> import/export. Select to save Favorites to file. Save this file to
another
> location other than the windows partition (C:) . Or save it there, then
burn
> it to CD.
>
> If you use an ISP whose mail system requires logon, which most do, you
might
> back those settings up in OE. Same with newsgroup connection. If AOL or
> similar, don't worry about it.
>
> Does INCD work?
>
> "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7IZ2o9qFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my
hard
> > drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
> >
> > What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they
can
> be
> > reloaded onto XP.
> >
> > How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
> >
> > I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO
support
> > cure this.
> >
> > Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:13:54 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:09:20 +0100, "Moonraker" <moonraker@home.com>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Hi guys, As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of wiping my hard
>drive and reloading XP ( I'm on win98se at the moment)
>
>What is the best way to save all the files and documents etc, so they can be
>reloaded onto XP.
>
>How would I save all our e-mail addresses and favourite web sites.
>
>I have NERO loaded but it does not work, and am working with NERO support to
>cure this.
>
>Many thanks, don't know how I'd manage without you. Steve.

In the absence of a functional CD burner, I'd defrag your single (?)
partition and then use a program such as Partition Manager to shrink
it down. I'd then create a second primary partition, make it active,
and install XP into the new partition. You can then copy across your
data files, address books, bookmarks, etc. When you are satisfied that
all your data are intact, delete the Win98 partition and use PM to
expand the XP partition to your preferred size.

Of course all this assumes that your drive has enough free space for
XP. If it doesn't, then you could selectively copy your data to the
smallest practicable partition. The remaining disc area would then be
wiped and converted into one large partition. The XCOPY command could
be used in a Windows DOS box, as in the following example:

xcopy C\*.doc D:\ /c /h /e /r /k /y

This copies all the *.doc files from C: to D:, maintaining the
original directory structure in the process.

- Franc Zabkar