thothep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm confused by this, and so are all my friends. When I replaced my main drive recently, I decided to move the secondary off faking SATA and stick it in an external enclosure.

Set-up: WD Caviar SE 250 GB IDE drive in a Powerspec USB 2.0 enclosure
Connected to a USB 2.0 on my Abit KN8-SLi mobo, running fully updated XP Home.

When I plugged it in it showed up and, while doing the setup identified the type of drive, then switched to saying USB Mass Storage Device. The problem, it does not assign a drive letter, and I have no idea of how to make it accessible. The USB ports are working with both my Cruzer Mini and the printer, and the drive repeated this behavior on a second computer. I am wondering a little about the drivers, cause the date showing is from 2001, but I can't seem to update them (and the other machine doesn't even have USB drivers on it, though it can read my Cruzer).

Double checked, it is identifying the drive correctly as the WDetc when I click display compnents in the Safely Remove window.

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
If it's not assigning a Drive Letter, simply go into Disk Management (Right click "My Computer" click "Manage", click "Disk Management") and find the drive, than right-click and choose "Drive Letters" or something along those lines (I forget what it actually says and I'm too lazy to look) and give it a drive letter.

-x86_64

thothep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
When I get in there the option "Change drive letter and paths" is greyed out. In fact, every option but "Delete Partition" and "Help" is greyed out. The option to change the drive letter is available for the system drive.

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
This might be a privelages problem, what are you logged in as, System Administrator?

The only thing that gets me is that if it IS a rights issue, you shouldn't see "delete partition". hmm.....

-x86_64

thothep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I should be logged in as admin, there's only one account on the machine. I'll check tonight when I get home.

From what I've been reading all over the place, I'm wondering if the problem might be because this drive used to be drive d: and now the dvd-rom is that. Originally this drive was a master assigned g:, then a secondary (faking SATA) as drive d:, it hasn't been formatted, cause I'm trying to keep the data, and the jumpers haven't been changed from single. Might reassigning the dvd-rom help? Or trying a different jumper setting? (I don't want to start moving drives around more than necessary.)