READ THIS BEFORE BUYING MINMAW

Who thinks they should honor my request? (Please answer honestly!)

• Yes, they should send you two replacement buttons as promised.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, they have no obligation to you.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • That does it for MinMaw! I''ll never buy their crap!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I''m never buying from nMedia either! Screw them both!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I know it's a bit hard to follow this is copy/pasted email dialogue between me and two companies, nMedia and MinMaw. MinMaw manufactures the case I bought, nMedia sells them as well under their name. Tell me what you think. Do they or do they not now have an obligation to send me parts? Why is it that companies can't get their customer policies together, and honor their word? We'll see how this plays out. Don't ban their products just yet. I'll keep you informed.

I like the case, but the DVD drive button is impossible to align without modification. It's even stated on the nMedia website, that users usually have to modify their cases or drives to get it to work. Spread this around, show your friends, and make sure that people are aware of this kind of crap.

~Ryan

P.S. I threw in a poll for fun. :p Everyone loves polls.

(Names and email adresses and my address have been edited out of the text, for security reasons)
=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^

To: support@nmediapc.com
Subject: RE: HELP!

I recently bought your HTPC 400 model case and am having difficulty installing my DVD drive. Do you know of any drives that would fit it perfectly? If not, what is your suggestion for lining up the holes with the DVD drive button? I've tried it with the faceplate on, and off. Tried inserting a screw into the button holes. I really hate to cut off the button backing protrusions and leave the one that works, but this seems to maybe be my best and only real option. I was wondering if you could send me a replacement button maybe, so that when I install a Blu-Ray or HD DVD drive in the future, it will fit. Any help you can offer me would be great. I tried forums but this case doesn't seem to be hugely popular yet. It's a great case with a beautiful look and I was thrilled to get it. Now if I can just get this drive to work.

~Ryan
To: Me

Hi, Ryan:

Thanks for the email.

According to some customer reviews, the Samsung DVD sounds like a good choice.

http://secure.ncix.com/products/productreviewdetail.php?id=49645

In terms of the spare button, I will let you know as soon as I can get one from the factory. It may take a while, but I promise to get you one.

Let me know your shipping address.

Best regards,

Support / nMedia System

I assume your reviewer was talking about a drive kind of like this.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_SH_S182D_Dual_Layer_DVD_RW_Writer,__22165016/sort_type=bottomline

That's about the only drive from Samsung I'd want, and it's another $35. I think I'll just attempt the modify.

My address is:
(My address)

I appreciate it. BTW, are you guys the same as MinMaw? Merger? Bought out? Perhaps they manufacture parts for you? I just noticed you have the same case and I'm curious as to your relation.

I'm trying to think of a way to better design the DVD slot so that it looks nice and clean with a flat front, while it might be more easily suited to take on a variety of drives. If only it supported laptop drives. :p I currently have 2 in my micro ATX system. It's semi-designed as an HTPC as well.

If you send me a spare button (or two) it'll work just fine. (2 is better, as this is a solid case and good looking I may be using it for quite some time). I think I can trim off three of the four nodes on the backside of the button and have the remaining one to push in on the button (with the front bezel off).

~Ryan
To: Me

Hi, Ryan:

I will do my best to get two buttons for you.

For the HTPC 400 model only, we set up a partnership project, we design and provide parts, they manufactory for us. So, they have the right to sell outside of our channels.

Thanks,

Support / nMedia System
From RickH.....@MinMaw.com
Rick wrote:

Hi Ryan,

We apologize for confused your question, but if you select the Lite-on DVD+-R/W of model #: SHW-160P6S that will work in perfect. We don't have a spare DVD button for your extra use. Sorry about that.

Rick
MMI

----------Original Message Included-----------
From: Support / nMedia System [mailto:support@nmediapc.com]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 7:49 AM
To: 'Rick'
Subject: FW: HELP!

Rick:

Could you have your support team to send me two DVD button sets?

Otherwise, I will have our team to take two from the RMA returned units in the warehouse.

Thanks,

Jack
Hi Rick,

Haha. "Sorry about that?" Is this a joke? I was already promised two buttons. Don't get the guy fired guy who made me the offer it either, it's your problematic case design. I shouldn't have to go out and buy a specific DVD drive to fit the case. It's called COMPATIBILITY. It's pretty obvious by the request he sent you that you can send me a couple for under $3 in the mail from RMA cases. I know about your joint venture with nMedia to manufacture the case. I have no problem forwarding this email on to TomsHardware and posting it in the forums if you fail to honor what was already promised. Take a course on business ethics and some notes on customer service. Then feel free to get back to me. If you'd like to pay for shipping and handling and the cost of the case, I'll suppose I'm willing to pack it up and sell it to you for $89+shipping. I won't even charge for the box.

Sincerely,

~Ryan

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Just after I posted this, Rick emailed me back.
Hi Ryan,

We have a service department send the spare parts to you soon. Thank you for your support.

Rick
MMI
I replied with a "No Rick, thank you."

We'll see if I get my buttons. :) I'll keep you posted.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I understand your frustration for the lack of 100% compatibility with your case. On the other hand tho not all optical drives are exactly alike and it would be pretty tough to make it compatible to perfection with every drive.
I have gotten a case before (my chenbro) that was missing something (hard drive tool-less rails) when it arrived. In that case I'd say sure they owe me due to it being listed as a part of the case that didn't arrive.

In your case though I see where even you noticed their "disclaimer" about some people having to mod their case to make their drive work just right. Right there they admit its not 100% compatible and release themselves from obligation really.

It is in the best interest of a company to make a customer happy when possible and I'm glad it sounds as if they're going out of their way to try to make you happy assuming the buttons do arrive. Considering their disclaimer though I see no reason for them to feel obligation in this particular instance.

Be very happy they seem to be trying to please you. :)

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
So far, two of you don't think that they have any obligation to uphold their promise (according to poll). As I stated to someone, had they simply advised me to use a certain drive, that'd have been fine. That IS support. However, they OFFERED to send me a button, and then TWO buttons when I asked them (it costs them no more for shipping). It's a 10 cent piece of plastic that they can pull from RMA cases. Overall it would cost them very little, we're talking maybe a dollar or two. Compared to the $89 I spent on the case, I think they should be more concerned with a happy customer than some RMA case parts.

I pretty much had to nudge them into doing as they had offered by being disgruntled. You don't offer a consumer something reasonable and then take it back.

I'll be happy if I get the spare buttons. I've already trimmed down the button I have to fit my case. Eventually I hope to get a Blu-Ray or HD DVD drive. If the modded button I have doesn't work...I'm screwed. With spares I can recustomize without having to ruin a brand new drive or dremel the case, which would result in it being less attractive as well as cost me time and money.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Here are a few links to the case I purchased. I think it's comparable to a Silverstone, Thermaltake, or Lian Li HTPC case. It has two 90mm fans, a big easy push on button which seems to be backlit, I can't tell yet. Aluminum bezel and no sharp edges on the steel part. Overall it seems like a solid, well built case. The button was my only issue so far. I'm sure they could use a bit of creativity and come up with a system for adjusting buttons. I've already thought of a few. nMedia has a number of attractive cases. The case I purchased also comes in a brushed aluminum finish and it's a "new" model.

http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc400.htm
http://www.minmaw.com/case-htpc400b.htm

(Same case, different companies, manufactured by MinMaw)

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
From the product details, they don't owe you anything. The drive compatability issue was documented up front. This is very common with stealthed drives.

From the emails, it looks like you blew your chance at getting replacement buttons by your heated replies to Rick. It looked like one of their support guys was going to hook you up with one and then two buttons. At the end, even Rick said he would get you some buttons and you told him off. I wouldn't send you anything after that.

Yelling at people will not get you any favors. You should have stopped when you got the good response from the support guy.

Good luck, but don't stay up waiting for those buttons.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Marcus, learn to read. I didn't get heated till the end, and it got him to follow up with the offer that Jack had made me. I still can't believe this. 4 votes in favor of they owe me nothing. LOL If I was Samsung and offered to send you an extra adapter for your monitor, and then said I wouldn't do it afterall, you would be ok with that? I mean, it's one thing if it doesn't come with an adapter. It's another thing if I promise to send you one anyway, and they say I won't afterall. That's like your dad promising to take you to the ball game Saturday, and then changing his mind. Just kinda wrong. Sure, he doesn't owe you a ball game. Hell, he puts a roof over your head. But an offer is an offer, you can't just renig. Are you 4 (so far) voters saying that it's ok if companies don't send you rebates from rebate offers?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Now this: (LOL) BTW, I'd appreciate reasons stating WHY you vote one way or another.
Hi, Ryan:

Sorry for Minmaw’s poor English. We don’t even know they contact you directly. Anyway, we will keep our promise to send your two buttons.

Thanks,

Support / nMedia Hong Kong

I would not have sent you 2 buttons either. You got heated very quickly, and sorry ... a bit whiny. You cant demand everything work with everything else... it just doesnt work that way... and its not their responsibility to make sure it does. They dont owe you anything. However, I believe they could have handled it beter and send to an extra faceplate /w buttons as good customer service. As a business owner, once that kind of yelling starts (expecialy that quick).. its over and not worth the time and money to continue relationship with the customer.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I got bitchy, not whiney, when he tried to take back what was already promised me. It worked. You guys must live in very nice parts of the world, Canada maybe "eh?" It's amazing how poor your reading comprehension is. I might be a bit of an ass at times, but you have to be. People are dim-witted, and fearful. It's how things like religion were spawned. Most of us are pretty selfish, and I'm always getting screwed over by corporations. I've learned not to take crap. Now someone with your poor comprehension and fear would probably feel singled out, but you'll notice I included myself when I was talking about "people."

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Maybe you should try reading then. Oh, and maybe not insult me. I wasn't whiney. I stood my ground. Did it again with you. 6 out of 9 people don't think companies should have to uphold their word. No wonder Martha Stewart went to comfy prison. No wonder O.J. got out of jail time. No wonder rebates aren't usually recieved. People either aren't ethical, can't read, or lack basic reasoning skills. I guess I just don't get why the hell a company shouldn't have to send me two cheap little buttons if they offer to? Do you tell your kids you'll do something and then don't? Do you promise your workers bonuses and then just keep them for yourself? It's like you people can't even comprehend this...and yet, I'm the one who's a dumbass? Good grief! I mean, if the emails confused you...I'll be happy to explain it out in my own words exactly what happened for you.