is internet browsing possible via bluetooth enabled cellul..

November 1, 2004 12:54:32 AM

Are Normal web pages and email downloading accessible via a regular
bluetooth cellular ? my current cellular (siemens me45 which doesnt
have bluetooth but has internet) only allows b/w text browsing to
predefined sites (predefined by the cellular net provider).

I was hoping to get the cheapest bluetooth enabled cellular and use it
to browse the internet, is that possible ? or will i still be
restricted to cellular content internet my provider gives ?

thanks
LT
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:59:31 PM

It's possible, but will depend on your mobile operator, and plans available.
Some operators do not give full access to the Internet, others do but charge
an extra.

Technically is ok, check with your operator. Also, it's important to know if
you're on a GSM or a CDMA network. Most CDMA networks don't (currently) have
a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.

"Lior T" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Are Normal web pages and email downloading accessible via a regular
> bluetooth cellular ? my current cellular (siemens me45 which doesnt
> have bluetooth but has internet) only allows b/w text browsing to
> predefined sites (predefined by the cellular net provider).
>
> I was hoping to get the cheapest bluetooth enabled cellular and use it
> to browse the internet, is that possible ? or will i still be
> restricted to cellular content internet my provider gives ?
>
> thanks
> LT

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:59:32 PM

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> It's possible, but will depend on your mobile operator, and plans
> available. Some operators do not give full access to the Internet,
> others do but charge an extra.
>
> Technically is ok, check with your operator. Also, it's important to
> know if you're on a GSM or a CDMA network. Most CDMA networks don't
> (currently) have a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.

My operator uses GSM, and their technical support doesnt know anything
except whatever is available on their computer screen, they are no help.

thanks
LT
November 2, 2004 2:28:35 AM

> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>
>> It's possible, but will depend on your mobile operator, and plans
>> available. Some operators do not give full access to the Internet,
>> others do but charge an extra.
>>
>> Technically is ok, check with your operator. Also, it's important to
>> know if you're on a GSM or a CDMA network. Most CDMA networks don't
>> (currently) have a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.
>
> My operator uses GSM, and their technical support doesnt know anything
> except whatever is available on their computer screen, they are no help.
>
> thanks
> LT

You can drop the operator's name here and probably someone will give you the
configuration. But you still need to have data enabled on your account.

November 3, 2004 2:50:57 AM

For what it is worth I bluetooth (wirelessly) connect my PocketPC and via
ActiveSync use the laptop computer to be my modem and get usual web pages on
the PPC.

The laptop is effectively being replaced by your cell phone. In the UK
however I assume the mobile phone needs "data services" enabled from the
operator and billing is by the kB (not by time).

Bluetooth is a bit slow and downloading graphic hungry web pages will cost
LOTS. ABout £1 to £4 per MB from most UK networks.

> >> It's possible, but will depend on your mobile operator, and plans
> >> available. Some operators do not give full access to the Internet,
> >> others do but charge an extra.
> >>
> >> Technically is ok, check with your operator. Also, it's important to
> >> know if you're on a GSM or a CDMA network. Most CDMA networks don't
> >> (currently) have a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.
> >
> > My operator uses GSM, and their technical support doesnt know anything
> > except whatever is available on their computer screen, they are no help.
> >
> > thanks
> > LT

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 6:15:28 PM

This is not a Bluetooth problem:

a) Mobile phones connect to the Internet using GPRS or CDMA, and this is the
bottleneck for speed
b) Mobile operators charge for the use of GPRS or CDMA, not for the use of
Bluetooth

"* GH *" <gh_no_spam@lineone.net> wrote in message

> Bluetooth is a bit slow and downloading graphic hungry web pages will cost
> LOTS. ABout £1 to £4 per MB from most UK networks.

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:44:06 PM

I don't have GPRS or CDMA enabled by T-Mobile, but I can use my
Sony-Ericcson T610 essentially as a bluetooth modem and
dial up my ISP. It isn't very fast (~2400 baud), but it works.

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> This is not a Bluetooth problem:
>
> a) Mobile phones connect to the Internet using GPRS or CDMA, and this is
> the bottleneck for speed
> b) Mobile operators charge for the use of GPRS or CDMA, not for the use of
> Bluetooth

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
>
> "* GH *" <gh_no_spam@lineone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Bluetooth is a bit slow and downloading graphic hungry web pages will
>> cost
>> LOTS. ABout £1 to £4 per MB from most UK networks.

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:10:59 PM

CSD should give you around 9.6kbps...

"Kent Hoult" <khoult@cisco.com> wrote in message
>I don't have GPRS or CDMA enabled by T-Mobile, but I can use my
>Sony-Ericcson T610 essentially as a bluetooth modem and
> dial up my ISP. It isn't very fast (~2400 baud), but it works.
>

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> This is not a Bluetooth problem:
>>
>> a) Mobile phones connect to the Internet using GPRS or CDMA, and this is
>> the bottleneck for speed
>> b) Mobile operators charge for the use of GPRS or CDMA, not for the use
>> of Bluetooth
>>
>> --
>> "* GH *" <gh_no_spam@lineone.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Bluetooth is a bit slow and downloading graphic hungry web pages will
>>> cost
>>> LOTS. ABout £1 to £4 per MB from most UK networks.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:18:42 AM

If I have a Ipaq2415 and a Nokia 6230 what do I have to do to get
internet access. I already have a dial up ISP and bluetooth
connectivity between the two.

John

!