Raspberry Pi Gets an Upgrade, Now Has Double the RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I think 512MB is the sweet spot. If they need to upgrade to 1GB RAM, I feel they should upgrade the SOC too to a ARMv7 based SOC. The Allwinner SOC manufactured in China is $7 a pop. Still the Raspberry Pi is a very vfm device and very much in demand!

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Nice, but I think they should offer a 1gb version as well.[/citation]

Why stop there, I think they should offer 4gb version.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Why stop there, I think they should offer 4gb version.[/citation]
Indeed. And a SSD. And x86 computing. And ATX form factor.

[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]I still don't see the point of this device. Other than for learning about PCs?[/citation]
That is the entire point of this device.
The Raspberry Pi is an educational tool to engage young students in the computer field and to help teach basic programing.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]I still don't see the point of this device. Other than for learning about PCs?[/citation]
The better question is what isn't the point of the pi. It's cheap, low power, tiny, and you can stick on just about anything. You can make a sentry gun with it, use as an HTPC, basic server, send to space for a low-end satellite. It's only limited by your imagination.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
It'll be great if they also have a section of pages dedicated to "proven" hands-on projects.

I know it can be use as an HTPC and/or server and etc... But the amount of googling and tweaking is just too much for someone like me. And yes I have a limited imagination.
That's why it'll be great if they have these step by step guides.
I still remember how great it was reading my first build your own pc and step by step overclocking, those were the fun times.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Indeed. And a SSD. And x86 computing. And ATX form factor.[/citation]

If you do not remember let me remind you Raspberry Pi was used to build the smallest cheapest Super Computer. With 64 pis.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't decide to do this sooner. On the bright side I have one of the original model B boards.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Indeed. And a SSD. And x86 computing. And ATX form factor.[/citation]
And a touch screen, don't forget the touch screen. Heck, make it 3D too.

G

Great, just needs x86, stronger processor and a smidgen more ram, and maybe instead of ATX, casuals will use computers the size of a deodorant stick..

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

I guess people are really losing track of what the Raspberry Pi is designed for. More performance = higher costs; not only in monetary means, but also power consumption, size, and heat generation. Seriously, how much more can you expect for $35? An entire computer system, with operating system, that's capable of 1080p video playback for less than the cost of a copy of Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.