OE Exception crashing system

I am getting the following message when I try to access any CD in the CD ROM
drive of my Compaq running 98SE.
Exception OE at 0028:5909E0C1 in VxD. ---.
Called from 0028: C182B5F8 in VxDscsi1hlp (03)+ 00000508
The CD drive is present in Device manager and it says it is working
properly.
I tried to run a diagnostic by using the boot disc and then starting win but
it can't find the CD drive. I have put two different CD drives in the
machine and each produce the same OE error. Once the error comes up the
machine must turned off to reboot.
Any help would be appreciated. This one is Killing ME!!
3 answers Last reply
More about exception crashing system

    The CD drive may be bad. Try booting to a standard Windows Startup floppy
    boot disk. Choose CDROM Support option. When the startup has finished, take
    note of the new drive letter for the CD drive (it probably won't be the same
    as in Windows.) I'll assume it's E:\, but you may need to change that for
    the following commands:

    e:
    dir

    If you encounter errors, you can pretty much figure it's a bad drive. If it
    works OK (and you might try a copy operation from the CD to the HDD) then
    try the following.

    You may simply need to reinstall it. Since there may be garbage entries in
    Device Manager that are only visible in Safe Mode, and since it's better to
    rebuild the entire IDE tree, do this.

    Restart in Safe Mode. If you don't know how to do this, ask. Go into Device
    Manger and remove ALL drives, ALL drive controllers (except FIFOs, which
    can't be removed), and then remove the PCI Bus device in the System section.
    Restart and let Windows reinstall. Will require at least one reboot.

    But, before restarting, while you're in Safe Mode Device Manager, review the
    entire list for duplicated entries. A few are normal, but others are just
    garbage and may be causing the problem, even if the duplicated items aren't
    part of the IDE chain. Just write down the duplicated items and how many
    times they appear. Report back here for comment. Also, look for items that
    you know used to be installed but are no longer part of the system. Remove
    them.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Bob W" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting the following message when I try to access any CD in the CD
    >ROM
    > drive of my Compaq running 98SE.
    > Exception OE at 0028:5909E0C1 in VxD. ---.
    > Called from 0028: C182B5F8 in VxDscsi1hlp (03)+ 00000508
    > The CD drive is present in Device manager and it says it is working
    > properly.
    > I tried to run a diagnostic by using the boot disc and then starting win
    > but
    > it can't find the CD drive. I have put two different CD drives in the
    > machine and each produce the same OE error. Once the error comes up the
    > machine must turned off to reboot.
    > Any help would be appreciated. This one is Killing ME!!

    The following fixed my problem.

    http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/1/er_00049.html
    I had an external CD writer that would not work and I loaded Direct CD. Must
    have caused the problem with the internal CD drive.
    Thanks for the help!

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > The CD drive may be bad. Try booting to a standard Windows Startup floppy
    > boot disk. Choose CDROM Support option. When the startup has finished, take
    > note of the new drive letter for the CD drive (it probably won't be the same
    > as in Windows.) I'll assume it's E:\, but you may need to change that for
    > the following commands:
    >
    > e:
    > dir
    >
    > If you encounter errors, you can pretty much figure it's a bad drive. If it
    > works OK (and you might try a copy operation from the CD to the HDD) then
    > try the following.
    >
    > You may simply need to reinstall it. Since there may be garbage entries in
    > Device Manager that are only visible in Safe Mode, and since it's better to
    > rebuild the entire IDE tree, do this.
    >
    > Restart in Safe Mode. If you don't know how to do this, ask. Go into Device
    > Manger and remove ALL drives, ALL drive controllers (except FIFOs, which
    > can't be removed), and then remove the PCI Bus device in the System section.
    > Restart and let Windows reinstall. Will require at least one reboot.
    >
    > But, before restarting, while you're in Safe Mode Device Manager, review the
    > entire list for duplicated entries. A few are normal, but others are just
    > garbage and may be causing the problem, even if the duplicated items aren't
    > part of the IDE chain. Just write down the duplicated items and how many
    > times they appear. Report back here for comment. Also, look for items that
    > you know used to be installed but are no longer part of the system. Remove
    > them.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Bob W" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am getting the following message when I try to access any CD in the CD
    > >ROM
    > > drive of my Compaq running 98SE.
    > > Exception OE at 0028:5909E0C1 in VxD. ---.
    > > Called from 0028: C182B5F8 in VxDscsi1hlp (03)+ 00000508
    > > The CD drive is present in Device manager and it says it is working
    > > properly.
    > > I tried to run a diagnostic by using the boot disc and then starting win
    > > but
    > > it can't find the CD drive. I have put two different CD drives in the
    > > machine and each produce the same OE error. Once the error comes up the
    > > machine must turned off to reboot.
    > > Any help would be appreciated. This one is Killing ME!!

    Ahh... I wouldn't load DirectCD on anything but perhaps the machine
    belonging to my worst enemy--right now, I don't have any of those (enemies.)

    Thanks for reporting back.

    --

> [...]
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Bob W" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am getting the following message when I try to access any CD in the CD
    >> >ROM
    >> > drive of my Compaq running 98SE.
    >> > Exception OE at 0028:5909E0C1 in VxD. ---.
    >> > Called from 0028: C182B5F8 in VxDscsi1hlp (03)+ 00000508
    >> > The CD drive is present in Device manager and it says it is working
    >> > properly.
    >> > I tried to run a diagnostic by using the boot disc and then starting
    >> > win
    >> > but
    >> > it can't find the CD drive. I have put two different CD drives in the
    >> > machine and each produce the same OE error. Once the error comes up
    >> > the
    >> > machine must turned off to reboot.
    >> > Any help would be appreciated. This one is Killing ME!!

CD-Rom CD Drives Windows