hook up an alienware computer or other to my laptop?

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Is it possible to buy a high end computer i.e. alienware and run it on my toshiba laptop. I can justify spending 500-600 if I don't have to buy the monitor.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I sall an alienware on ebay. I did find out that they are ripping people off. I decided just to give my laptop to my wife. And buy an xps from dell for around 3,000. I was told it would run oblivion on all recommended settings if not surpass. I also told my wife the notebook was for business. Should I go through with this or do you have any recommendations.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I don't know crap about building a computer. Could I build a laptop to peform with all setting that I wan't? Could I gut my toshiba and start over. I like my computer alot. If I can replace or upgrade the internal components I would definitely go that route.

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
One more thing, laptops are ussually more expensive and perform worse than Desktop systems. Do you need a laptop for gaming for a specific reason?

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
are you familiar with the specs needed to play oblivion at recommended levals? what parts would you recommend. I have friends that say they can build computers. Maybe if I just buy the parts. Also, where should I buy the parts from. Best Buy or something. Is there a cheaper way?

linux_0

Splendid
I sall an alienware on ebay. I did find out that they are ripping people off. I decided just to give my laptop to my wife. And buy an xps from dell for around 3,000. I was told it would run oblivion on all recommended settings if not surpass. I also told my wife the notebook was for business. Should I go through with this or do you have any recommendations.

Dell and Alienware overcharge by 30-150%

It's not worth it!

Build it yourself or have someone build it for you.

I can build one for you @ cost + actual shipping cost + pizza :-D

The only Dell items I can recommend are their LCDs, some of them are nice.

Here's a nice rig for about $1500 :

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3114006

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
both I travel alot and just the convience of it all. I do use it for business. However I am a huge gamer. I just recently stopped playing console systems.
Its easier to tell my wife I am working when I am using my computer I can always minimize.

linux_0

Splendid
thanks, I will definitely consider that. I could probably pay around 200 plus a pizza. I live in Atlanta though.

We're in Ohio / Great Lakes, maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle or you could stop by next time you're in the area.

With AM2 releasing on the 23rd of this month prices should go down somewhat over the next 3-5 weeks.

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
www.newegg.com for the parts.

There are lots of parts out there I could recomend that would be countered by lots of other parts others will recommend, it will boil down to your budget ultimately. Also use new eggs rating system and see what others experiances have been with a part before you buy it.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I would like to keep cost minimal as possible. I don't even know what kind of parts I need and what parts I can keep from my origional laptop Satellite M45-S331. However cost aside I want 3 ghz intel pentium 4 processor or equivalent, 1 gb system ram, AT1 X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 or higher video card.

linux_0

Splendid
I would like to keep cost minimal as possible. I don't even know what kind of parts I need and what parts I can keep from my origional laptop Satellite M45-S331. However cost aside I want 3 ghz intel pentium 4 processor or equivalent, 1 gb system ram, AT1 X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 or higher video card.

You can probably get a decent system for about $1000 - $1200 or so.

What games and apps would you like it to run?

What parts do you already have?

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
oblivion mostly, all other apps work fine with my current computer. I have 80 gig hard drive and good dvd burner could I keep all of this. Or would I have to replace with everything else? Let me know, I have to go to work now and try to pay for all of this. Thanks for the input. I'll get back with you.

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
When would you want to build it? There are several new things on the horizon in the next 60 days like AMD's new platform AM2 and Intel's new architecture Conroe.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I can wait. I am booked with work for the next 3 months like everyday. But I should be able to dish out a reasonable amount. as long as it is under 3,000 and it would make my laptop rediculously bad ass.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
full list of parts intel pentium M processor 730 (1.6 Ghz/ 15.4"WXGA TruBrite" dispay/512MB/80GB/DVD SuperMulti drive/ 802.11b/g/ IEEE 1394/Bridge media adapter 5-in-1/microsoft widows xp home

I just read that off the sticker that still on my computer

linux_0

Splendid
oblivion mostly, all other apps work fine with my current computer. I have 80 gig hard drive and good dvd burner could I keep all of this. Or would I have to replace with everything else? Let me know, I have to go to work now and try to pay for all of this. Thanks for the input. I'll get back with you.

For oblivion I would suggest a decent AMD64 + 2GB RAM + 7900GT/GTX or X1900XT/XTX because it's very GFX intensive.

ATI does a bit better in Oblivion but I suspect a software patch will eventually make nVidia and ATI about even in Oblivion.

ATI is better for D3D and Windoze

nVidia is better for OpenGL + Windoze + other operating systems like Linux, BSD, etc

This is not a fair comparison because the 7900GT/GTX is not on the list.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=300&model2=284&chart=79

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=300&model2=283&chart=98

The X1900 wins the first bench but loses the 2nd bench on Quake 4 which is OpenGL

Other benches are mixed.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
around how much to upgrade my laptop with that. It sounds freakin sweet. let me know. I have to run to work. I will be back around 10:00 to respond. thanks.

patrick9

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
lcd, replace the monitor or is this a desktop your talking about? I'm confused could I upgrade my laptop or just build a new desktop?