How can one open any application

How can one open an application in a window rather than in a normal full
screen?
11 answers Last reply
More about open application

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > How can one open an application in a window rather than in a normal full
    > screen?

    Some applications enable this by:
    1. Opening the app full-screen.
    2. Adjusting it to window size.
    3. Closing the window with special keystrokes, e.g.
    Ctrl plus (top right) X.
    4. Next time the app opens in a window, not full-screen.

    If undocumented for the apps that concern you, you
    must find these keystrokes by trial and error.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Most apps open in a window, not full screen. What app are you talking about?

    Please make sure you really mean "Full Screen" and not "Maximized". In a maximised
    window, you still see the window border, title bar and contols in the upper right
    (the X to close, the squares, and the dash). In a Full Screen, you do not see any
    of those...only the application completely covering the screen.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can one open an application in a window rather than in a normal full
    > screen?

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can one open an application in a window rather than in a normal full
    > screen?

    Change the setting in the Run box
    after right-clicking the Desktop shortcut
    and choosing Properties.

    Some games run slow in a full screen. I could solve the problem by running
    them in a window.

    "Hugh Candlin" wrote:

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can one open an application in a window rather than in a normal full
    > > screen?
    >
    > Change the setting in the Run box
    > after right-clicking the Desktop shortcut
    > and choosing Properties.

    Just curious--what makes you think that?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Some games run slow in a full screen. I could solve the problem by running
    > them in a window.

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Some games run slow in a full screen. I could solve the problem by running
    > them in a window.

    Yes, you could......

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Some games run slow in a full screen. I could solve the problem by running
    >> them in a window.
    >
    > Yes, you could......

    He could?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Some games run slow in a full screen. I could solve the problem by
    running
    > >> them in a window.
    > >
    > > Yes, you could......
    >
    > He could?

    He posed a question. I provided an answer.

    He ignored my answer, and stated his reason
    for posing his question.

    Who am I to argue with that?

    >> "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > running
    >> >
    >> > Yes, you could......
    >>
    >> He could?
    >
    > He posed a question. I provided an answer.
    >
    > He ignored my answer, and stated his reason
    > for posing his question.
    >
    > Who am I to argue with that?

    LOL! OK, <s>. I thought maybe you had some magic bullet.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    AFAICT, he's got 16-bit games that run only in DOS (at full screen, probably
    because they actually restart to DOS and require different display settings).
    Methinks the "shortcuts" involved are PIF files.

    Porting those to 32-bit Windows, where window size, etc., are available, ain't
    easy.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message

    >> "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > running
    >> >
    >> > Yes, you could......
    >>
    >> He could?
    >
    > He posed a question. I provided an answer.
    >
    > He ignored my answer, and stated his reason
    > for posing his question.
    >
    > Who am I to argue with that?

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message

    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Hugh Candlin" <No@Spam.Com> wrote in message
    | > >
    | > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | running
    | > >
    | > > Yes, you could......
    | >
    | > He could?
    |
    | He posed a question. I provided an answer.
    |
    | He ignored my answer, and stated his reason
    | for posing his question.
    |
    | Who am I to argue with that?

    You am who you am, Camdlin!

Microsoft Windows