Changing OS Registration for Win 98 Upgrade

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 29, 2005 11:31:46 PM

I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?

Thanks for any feedback!

--
ToadHall
ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

Unless this is a Compaq machine, do your friend a real favor and reformat
the hard drive and install Win98SE from scratch. Make sure you positively
identify the hardware and go get suitable drivers for it before getting
started.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"ToadHall" <ToadHall.1ujxmt@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
> upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
> SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
> owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?
>
> Thanks for any feedback!
>

> --
> ToadHall
> ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

August 30, 2005 1:22:23 AM

"ToadHall" <ToadHall.1ujxmt@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
> upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
> SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
> owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?

1. / Start / Run / REGEDIT.EXE
= Registry Editor.
2. Back up the whole Registry to a file folder
and filename; write down both to be sure and
make sure the file (6 to 9 Mb) appears in the
folder.
3. Go down the Registry structure to the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
where you will find the name of the Registered Owner.

You can edit this name by clicking once on
Registered Owner, then right clicking for the edit menu.
Choose / Modify
and type in the desired name.

The same person's name may appear in many other
places in the Registry as RegOwner (or similar) for
other apps, and can be edited similarly if you want.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Change Owner/Organization:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/chgownorg....

Right-click the 'Download" link, save it to your Desktop, then double-click it and
fill in the blanks.

Or,
If you want to do it the Hard Way, open the Registry Editor to this key:
LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
and in the right-hand pane, double-click the RegisteredOwner and
RegisteredOrganization values to modify them.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm