Changing OS Registration for Win 98 Upgrade

I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?

Thanks for any feedback!

--
ToadHall
ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

    Unless this is a Compaq machine, do your friend a real favor and reformat
    the hard drive and install Win98SE from scratch. Make sure you positively
    identify the hardware and go get suitable drivers for it before getting
    started.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "ToadHall" <ToadHall.1ujxmt@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
    > upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
    > SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
    > owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback!
    >

    > --
    > ToadHall
    > ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

    "ToadHall" <ToadHall.1ujxmt@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
    > upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
    > SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
    > owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?

    1. / Start / Run / REGEDIT.EXE
    = Registry Editor.
    2. Back up the whole Registry to a file folder
    and filename; write down both to be sure and
    make sure the file (6 to 9 Mb) appears in the
    folder.
    3. Go down the Registry structure to the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    where you will find the name of the Registered Owner.

    You can edit this name by clicking once on
    Registered Owner, then right clicking for the edit menu.
    Choose / Modify
    and type in the desired name.

    The same person's name may appear in many other
    places in the Registry as RegOwner (or similar) for
    other apps, and can be edited similarly if you want.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Change Owner/Organization:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/chgownorg.htm

    Right-click the 'Download" link, save it to your Desktop, then double-click it and
    fill in the blanks.

    Or,
    If you want to do it the Hard Way, open the Registry Editor to this key:
    LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    and in the right-hand pane, double-click the RegisteredOwner and
    RegisteredOrganization values to modify them.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "ToadHall" <ToadHall.1ujxmt@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > I'm setting up a Pentium II for a friend, running under Win 98 SE. I
    > upgraded the Win 95 OS of the previous owner to (my own copy of) Win 98
    > SE, but the OS registration still appears in the name of the previous
    > owner--how do I change the registration name to the current owner?
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback!
    >

    > --
    > ToadHall
    > ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

    Thanks to both of you--G.V. & D.P.--for your help.

    --
    ToadHall
    ToadHall's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4774

Pentium Microsoft Windows