Which Registry Utility to trust?

I am trying to bring back to life a notebook which is running W98 using a
Pentium 11 267Mhz with 288RAM. It was running very smoothly. Have done all
virus/scumware checks and everything is OK. Have used Registry Cleaners on
other PCs but would welcome some expert advice for this notebook.

I ran RegSeeker 1.45 and within 2 minutes, it listed 238 errors, as follows

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Extension Not Used 53
File or Path Did Not Exist 3
Invalid ActiveX/COM entry (CLSID) 26 Total 82

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
File or Path Did Not Exist 11 Total 11

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
File or Path Did Not Exist 122
Invalid Applic Path 2
Obsolete Entry 4
DLL file does not exist 5 Total 133

HKEY_USERS
File or Path Did Not Exist 11
Obsolete Entry 1 Total 12

RegCleaner suggested 10 errors.

I ran a trial version of Registry Mechanic (it was very slow) and their
results showed 68 errors. (57 Deep Scan, 2 File Extensions, 1 Software
Location, 4 Add/Remove Programs, 4 Custom Controls).

Can I rely on RegSeeker's results? Their website appears to have closed down
but there does not seem to have been any problems with this software.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Flusters
12 answers Last reply
More about which registry utility trust

    There are no reliable auto registry tools,
    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    _

    Try: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    > Any advice would be most welcome.
    >
    > Flusters

    In RegSeeker, make sure the box to make a 'backup before deletion' is also
    checked.

    As Gary states, Registry cleaners can cause problems.
    One thing to try is go to the C:\ prompt in DOS (command prompt only) and type
    scanreg /opt /fix and run it three times.
    This supposedly fixes and compresses the Registry.
    However, I use RegSeeker and some others such as EasyCleaner , RegClean,
    RegCleaner, and Nortons WinDoctor.
    Before you delete all that RegSeeker found, make a fresh backup of the Registry.
    Know how to install that backup from DOS (command prompt only) in case the
    computer fails to boot into Windows where you could use RegSeeker's backup.

    Thanks.

    I use AVG, Spybot, AdAware, CCleaner regularly and the occasional Panda
    online.

    You seem to be suggesting that I should ignore the Registry results in
    total, rather than be selective. Is that right?

    Flusters

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are no reliable auto registry tools,
    > --
    >
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    > use
    > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    >
    > _
    > "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to bring back to life a notebook which is running W98 using
    > > Pentium 11 267Mhz with 288RAM. It was running very smoothly. Have done
    all
    > > virus/scumware checks and everything is OK. Have used Registry Cleaners
    on
    > > other PCs but would welcome some expert advice for this notebook.
    > >
    > > I ran RegSeeker 1.45 and within 2 minutes, it listed 238 errors, as
    > follows
    > >
    > > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    > > Extension Not Used 53
    > > File or Path Did Not Exist 3
    > > Invalid ActiveX/COM entry (CLSID) 26 Total 82
    > >
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > > File or Path Did Not Exist 11 Total 11
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > > File or Path Did Not Exist 122
    > > Invalid Applic Path 2
    > > Obsolete Entry 4
    > > DLL file does not exist 5 Total 133
    > >
    > > HKEY_USERS
    > > File or Path Did Not Exist 11
    > > Obsolete Entry 1 Total 12
    > >
    > > RegCleaner suggested 10 errors.
    > >
    > > I ran a trial version of Registry Mechanic (it was very slow) and their
    > > results showed 68 errors. (57 Deep Scan, 2 File Extensions, 1 Software
    > > Location, 4 Add/Remove Programs, 4 Custom Controls).
    > >
    > > Can I rely on RegSeeker's results? Their website appears to have closed
    > down
    > > but there does not seem to have been any problems with this software.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be most welcome.
    > >
    > > Flusters

    Not sure what AlmostBob is suggesting, but any and all of those tools are
    good for finding *possible* problems. None of them are 100% foolproof when
    it comes to determining that what they find is truly a problem. All of them
    are prone to "false positives". Thus, these tools are *only* safe in the
    hands of someone who is sure of their ability to understand what's being
    show to them, who are willing to research each and every item to determine
    for themselves if this or that entry needs to be deleted or changed, and
    often, changing a registry entry is the more appropriate solution, not just
    deleting it.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I use AVG, Spybot, AdAware, CCleaner regularly and the occasional Panda
    > online.
    >
    > You seem to be suggesting that I should ignore the Registry results in
    > total, rather than be selective. Is that right?
    >
    > Flusters
    >
    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> There are no reliable auto registry tools,
    >> --
    >>
    >> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    >> spybot http://security.kolla.de
    >> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    >> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    >> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    >> Catalog of removal tools (1)
    >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    >> Catalog of removal tools (2)
    >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    >> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    >> use
    >> Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    >>
    >> _
    >> "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    >> > I am trying to bring back to life a notebook which is running W98 using
    >> > Pentium 11 267Mhz with 288RAM. It was running very smoothly. Have done
    > all
    >> > virus/scumware checks and everything is OK. Have used Registry Cleaners
    > on
    >> > other PCs but would welcome some expert advice for this notebook.
    >> >
    >> > I ran RegSeeker 1.45 and within 2 minutes, it listed 238 errors, as
    >> follows
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    >> > Extension Not Used 53
    >> > File or Path Did Not Exist 3
    >> > Invalid ActiveX/COM entry (CLSID) 26 Total 82
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    >> > File or Path Did Not Exist 11 Total 11
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    >> > File or Path Did Not Exist 122
    >> > Invalid Applic Path 2
    >> > Obsolete Entry 4
    >> > DLL file does not exist 5 Total 133
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_USERS
    >> > File or Path Did Not Exist 11
    >> > Obsolete Entry 1 Total 12
    >> >
    >> > RegCleaner suggested 10 errors.
    >> >
    >> > I ran a trial version of Registry Mechanic (it was very slow) and their
    >> > results showed 68 errors. (57 Deep Scan, 2 File Extensions, 1 Software
    >> > Location, 4 Add/Remove Programs, 4 Custom Controls).
    >> >
    >> > Can I rely on RegSeeker's results? Their website appears to have closed
    >> down
    >> > but there does not seem to have been any problems with this software.
    >> >
    >> > Any advice would be most welcome.
    >> >
    >> > Flusters

    Thanks AlmostBob, Gary and Buffalo for the advice so far - its been very
    helpful.

    My rule of thumb on suggested Registry changes has always been, if it refers
    to a current application then do absolutely nothing unless it has been fully
    investigated first. If it refers to an old application and is either (a)
    File or Path Did Not Exist (b) Invalid Applic Path (c) Obsolete Entry, then
    I delete.

    Should I add 'Extension not used' to my rules above?

    For Buffalo - yes, I do have the 'back-up before deletion' box checked.
    Unsure when I downloaded my RegSeeker version but I was surprised that (a)
    it appeared to be quite a comprehensive program but (b) there is no
    help/instruction/tutorial file. That worries me because I do like to read
    and check things out thoroughly. Anyway, you seem to be quite happy with
    this program - taking care obviously. There is a read me file but should I
    be looking in a different place?

    Flusters

    > Thanks AlmostBob, Gary and Buffalo for the advice so far - its been very
    > helpful.
    >
    > My rule of thumb on suggested Registry changes has always been, if it
    > refers
    > to a current application then do absolutely nothing unless it has been
    > fully
    > investigated first. If it refers to an old application and is either (a)
    > File or Path Did Not Exist (b) Invalid Applic Path (c) Obsolete Entry,
    > then
    > I delete.

    So long as you're sure they really belong to the obsolete app. But, there
    are almost certainly a number of Registry entries created by this or that
    *curent* application that appear to be from one or another obsolete app,
    placed there by the current app for purposes of compatibility--just in case.
    Major apps suites are prone to this--MS Office, WordPerfect Office, almost
    any Adobe product. They all write a ton of seemingly garbage entries to the
    Registry, and in truth *some* of it *is* garbage--but not all. A lot of the
    stuff they write that Registry cleaners flag as useless really isn't. So,
    no, the rule of thumb you delineate above is not foolproof.

    When it comes to Registry cleaning, my rule over the last few years is, "If
    it ain't broke, don't fix it." The one exception is when I'm doing major
    maintenance--cleaning up a mess. In that case, I must be ready, able, and
    willing to reinstall one or more apps, patches, or whatever, immediately
    afterwards. Even then, if I am at all doubtful about the provenance and
    purpose of an entry, I leave it alone. In short, I consider Registry
    cleaning, etc., to be a last-ditch effort to tidy things up, and if I fail
    to succeed, the next step is a complete rebuild from scratch. I *don't*
    think that any regular maintenace program should include "Registry
    cleaning."

    > Should I add 'Extension not used' to my rules above?

    IMO, no, for reasons parallel to the above. Yes, it's typical that some file
    associations get created by accident and can be deleted, but unless they're
    *wrong* associations, instead of just unneeded associations, I tend to leave
    them alone for reasons resembling the ones I discussed above.

    > For Buffalo - yes, I do have the 'back-up before deletion' box checked.
    > Unsure when I downloaded my RegSeeker version but I was surprised that (a)
    > it appeared to be quite a comprehensive program but (b) there is no
    > help/instruction/tutorial file. That worries me because I do like to read
    > and check things out thoroughly. Anyway, you seem to be quite happy with
    > this program - taking care obviously. There is a read me file but should I
    > be looking in a different place?

    I know the above was "for Buffalo", but do you mind if I comment? Backing up
    Registry entries before you delete them is of course common sense. But let
    me ask you--how do you determine when the source of some odd behavior that
    you might encounter in the future is due to your having removed an entry
    that didn't appear to be right today? How do you mentally connect some "new"
    problem with some Registry entry you deleted two months ago? It does no good
    to back something up and then delete it if you can't later identify the need
    for, and the specific details of, some item that it turns out shouldn't have
    been deleted.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    > Thanks AlmostBob, Gary and Buffalo for the advice so far - its been very
    > helpful.
    >
    > My rule of thumb on suggested Registry changes has always been, if it refers
    > to a current application then do absolutely nothing unless it has been fully
    > investigated first. If it refers to an old application and is either (a)
    > File or Path Did Not Exist (b) Invalid Applic Path (c) Obsolete Entry, then
    > I delete.
    >
    > Should I add 'Extension not used' to my rules above?
    >
    > For Buffalo - yes, I do have the 'back-up before deletion' box checked.
    > Unsure when I downloaded my RegSeeker version but I was surprised that (a)
    > it appeared to be quite a comprehensive program but (b) there is no
    > help/instruction/tutorial file. That worries me because I do like to read
    > and check things out thoroughly. Anyway, you seem to be quite happy with
    > this program - taking care obviously. There is a read me file but should I
    > be looking in a different place?
    >
    > Flusters

    The more I listen to what Gary is saying, the more I tend to agree with him.
    Very good arguments with reasons.
    Perhaps you should just stick with good computer maintenance and not worry about
    the Registry.
    Version 1.45 of Regseeker gives you the choice of red or green reg items to
    delete.
    The readme file doesn't even tell you what it means. I would guess the green is
    safer to delete,
    But again, you could try deleting all the green items, reboot and if you don't
    notice any difference in speed, then restore with the backup.
    No speed increase means that the Registry cleanup helped nothing so put it back
    the way it was.
    Or, forget RegSeeker totally and let well enough alone.
    I don't really believe that 'extensions not used' aren't slowing anything down
    by staying in the Registry.
    I gamble a lot by trying different things on my PC and some day I will get
    caught bigtime.
    Reminds me, I better make a current backup.
    Check out the aumha.org for much useful cleanup advice. I am just posting a link
    to one of the many helpful articles.
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

    Gary thank you. As usual, your helpful advice and sound commonsense is very
    welcome and I will take notice.

    In mitigation, if you note my opening preamble, this is a case of what else
    can I do before reformatting and rebuilding again. The performance of the
    notebook was excellent but it is now like glue.

    This is why I posed the question about the varying results from the
    different programs. I would rather every thing was running smoothly but it
    is not!!

    Flusters
> [...]
    > > this program - taking care obviously. There is a read me file but should
    > > be looking in a different place?
    >
    > I know the above was "for Buffalo", but do you mind if I comment? Backing
    up
    > Registry entries before you delete them is of course common sense. But let
    > me ask you--how do you determine when the source of some odd behavior that
    > you might encounter in the future is due to your having removed an entry
    > that didn't appear to be right today? How do you mentally connect some
    "new"
    > problem with some Registry entry you deleted two months ago? It does no
    good
    > to back something up and then delete it if you can't later identify the
    need
    > for, and the specific details of, some item that it turns out shouldn't

    What performance are you talking about: booting, shutting down, browsing
    folders in Explorer, or what?

    I am in total agreement with Gary--registry cleaners should be used as a
    last resort, not regular maintenance. MVP Alan Edwards and I quit using
    them years ago and concentrated on keeping our registries clean instead of
    wasting time scanning the undo file for items that did not appear to be
    valid entries to remove.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

> [...]
    >> > should
    >> > be looking in a different place?
    >>
    >> I know the above was "for Buffalo", but do you mind if I comment? Backing
    > up
    >> Registry entries before you delete them is of course common sense. But
    >> let
    >> me ask you--how do you determine when the source of some odd behavior
    >> that
    >> you might encounter in the future is due to your having removed an entry
    >> that didn't appear to be right today? How do you mentally connect some
    > "new"
    >> problem with some Registry entry you deleted two months ago? It does no
    > good
    >> to back something up and then delete it if you can't later identify the
    > need
    >> for, and the specific details of, some item that it turns out shouldn't

    Thanks everyone for the different views.

    I am persuaded to leave the Registry well alone. It seems the best plan.

    Will return with more details re lack of performance in a few days.

    Thanks again, particularly to Gary.

    Flusters

    > "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    > > Thanks AlmostBob, Gary and Buffalo for the advice so far - its been very
    > > helpful.
    > >
    > > My rule of thumb on suggested Registry changes has always been, if it
    refers
    > > to a current application then do absolutely nothing unless it has been
    fully
    > > investigated first. If it refers to an old application and is either
    (a)
    > > File or Path Did Not Exist (b) Invalid Applic Path (c) Obsolete Entry,
    then
    > > I delete.
    > >
    > > Should I add 'Extension not used' to my rules above?
    > >
    > > For Buffalo - yes, I do have the 'back-up before deletion' box checked.
    > > Unsure when I downloaded my RegSeeker version but I was surprised that
    (a)
    > > it appeared to be quite a comprehensive program but (b) there is no
    > > help/instruction/tutorial file. That worries me because I do like to
    read
    > > and check things out thoroughly. Anyway, you seem to be quite happy with
    > > this program - taking care obviously. There is a read me file but should
    > > be looking in a different place?
    > >
    > > Flusters
    >
    > The more I listen to what Gary is saying, the more I tend to agree with
    him.
    > Very good arguments with reasons.
    > Perhaps you should just stick with good computer maintenance and not worry
    about
    > the Registry.
    > Version 1.45 of Regseeker gives you the choice of red or green reg
    items to
    > delete.
    > The readme file doesn't even tell you what it means. I would guess the
    green is
    > safer to delete,
    > But again, you could try deleting all the green items, reboot and if you
    don't
    > notice any difference in speed, then restore with the backup.
    > No speed increase means that the Registry cleanup helped nothing so put it
    back
    > the way it was.
    > Or, forget RegSeeker totally and let well enough alone.
    > I don't really believe that 'extensions not used' aren't slowing anything
    down
    > by staying in the Registry.
    > I gamble a lot by trying different things on my PC and some day I will get
    > caught bigtime.
    > Reminds me, I better make a current backup.
    > Check out the aumha.org for much useful cleanup advice. I am just posting
    a link
    > to one of the many helpful articles.
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

    Flusters,

    See my article "Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it"
    www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm

    The article will introduce you to MSCONFIG. Set up a clean boot (making sure
    to physically disconnect your system from the internet first!) Find some
    task that is currently acting sludgy and try using it under Clean Boot
    conditions. Write down your impressions. Then re-enable antivirus and
    firewall and restart. Reconnect your internet connection and try some
    "normal use". Again, keep notes. After that, you'll want to progressively
    re-enable background apps, taking notes all the way, testing programs that
    have been noted as "slow", etc. Chances are, you'll find something in the
    list that is causing your problem.

    You'll probably need more info about what each of the items in MSCONFIG
    Startup tab are. To get a list you can post here for our comment, do this:

    Start>Run>MSINFO32<enter>
    Expand Software Environment
    Click on Startup Programs
    Click anywhere in the right-hand pane
    Press Ctrl-A
    Press Ctrl-C
    Open a reply to this post. Use Ctrl-V to Paste the info into the Reply.
    Send.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks everyone for the different views.
    >
    > I am persuaded to leave the Registry well alone. It seems the best plan.
    >
    > Will return with more details re lack of performance in a few days.
    >
    > Thanks again, particularly to Gary.
    >
    > Flusters

    Gary

    Thanks will do as you suggest. I have copied your article and will follow
    line by line. I have used MSCONFIG before.
    Will not get the opportunity to do this until Thursday this week. Will post
    my findings as necessary.

    Thanks

    Flusters

    > Flusters,
    >
    > See my article "Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it"
    > www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >
    > The article will introduce you to MSCONFIG. Set up a clean boot (making
    sure
    > to physically disconnect your system from the internet first!) Find some
    > task that is currently acting sludgy and try using it under Clean Boot
    > conditions. Write down your impressions. Then re-enable antivirus and
    > firewall and restart. Reconnect your internet connection and try some
    > "normal use". Again, keep notes. After that, you'll want to progressively
    > re-enable background apps, taking notes all the way, testing programs that
    > have been noted as "slow", etc. Chances are, you'll find something in the
    > list that is causing your problem.
    >
    > You'll probably need more info about what each of the items in MSCONFIG
    > Startup tab are. To get a list you can post here for our comment, do this:
    >
    > Start>Run>MSINFO32<enter>
    > Expand Software Environment
    > Click on Startup Programs
    > Click anywhere in the right-hand pane
    > Press Ctrl-A
    > Press Ctrl-C
    > Open a reply to this post. Use Ctrl-V to Paste the info into the Reply.
    > Send.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    > > Thanks everyone for the different views.
    > >
    > > I am persuaded to leave the Registry well alone. It seems the best plan.
    > >
    > > Will return with more details re lack of performance in a few days.
    > >
    > > Thanks again, particularly to Gary.
    > >
    > > Flusters

Registry Windows