Refurbed vid cards

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102007R

that worth it? or should i get a new X1800XL and OC it.

Also would 2 X1600PRO beat 1 X1800XL or XT? OR would a X800 and another X800XL?

That's a great price for the XT, but it's refurb. Assuming you can RMA it, it would be a great value. Two X1600PROs might be as fast as an X1800XL, but nowhere near an X1800XT. New, the XL and XT are pretty much the same price, and the XT pwns the XL.

pauldh

Illustrious
personally, I wouldn't buy it. For $40 more you can get the same card brand new and have a 1 year warranty instead of 14 days. Plus you may not get the extra cables or DVI adapter on the refurb. They'll peform the same obviously, so just ask yourself if the savings is worth the gamble.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
personally, I wouldn't buy it. For $40 more you can get the same card brand new and have a 1 year warranty instead of 14 days. Plus you may not get the extra cables or DVI adapter on the refurb. They'll peform the same obviously, so just ask yourself if the savings is worth the gamble.

well u must remember that it has a 1 dollar shipping charge. and im not a budget. if it comes w/o a heatsink ill RMA it, if it comes w/o software meh so what.

as long as it works.

also ATi has a 3 year warranty on their cards

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I sometimes trust refurbs more than 'normal' gear - provided the warrenty is good. Over here we sometimes get better warrenties than on 'normal' products because people are put off by the 'refurb' tag and they try to offer something more so that people buy them.

They're also garunteed to come fully tested and working - such is the nature of refurbishment. And everyone knows that great feeling you get when you get something for less than cost and it works just as well. And if it does come to you broke, it's no skin off their balls to send you a working one (that's usually a boxed new product, such is my experience).

You may have guessed that I've had good experience with refurbs, whether they've broken or not, in the past.

pauldh

Illustrious
I was just giving you a warning as I have had my fair share of newegg refurbs over the years. It won't come without a heatsink though, so don't worry about that. Although it's at best a customer return, so some noob may have pulled the heasink and remounted it with juicy fruit. :D

As I said, you may not get any of the cables, the DVI adapter, or the software. It is not guaranteed to work either, I have had 2 newegg refurb cards arrive in unworking condition. One of which I got stuck with becasue I waited too long to test it. Also, the card is a Sapphire not a BBA, so I wouldn't count on Sapphire honoring the 1 year warranty. You may only get the 14 days to RMA it.

Again, your call; if $260 AR is too much money for a new one, and you don't mind not getting the extra bundle nor taking a higher than normal risk of failure, then go for it. You won't find a better performing card for $221 shipped. All you have to lose is the $1 shipping plus your return shipping.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I have purchased a few refurb cards, one of which came DOA. But I sent it back and they replaced it. Also keep in mind the card still carries a manufacture warranty. Might want to take a look at the 350 1900XT.... not bad for that.... might be a little closer to 365 but still inexpensive.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have purchased a few refurb cards, one of which came DOA. But I sent it back and they replaced it. Also keep in mind the card still carries a manufacture warranty. Might want to take a look at the 350 1900XT.... not bad for that.... might be a little closer to 365 but still inexpensive.

Not to steal a thread but this prompts my curiosity. Assuming that the vendor (Newegg, etc.) doesn't have a bunch of the same refurb cards lying around, what do they replace your DOA refurb card with? A new one perhaps?

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I bought two refub video cards there, both are working fine. One came with the accessories. I've bought some mobos too and had to return one, the 15% restocking fee stinks. No replacments for refurbished items! Only refunds minus a 15% restocking fee.

pauldh

Illustrious
My experience with newegg refurbs is they refund the money and do not even try to replace the card. Their stock of them changes too often and they aren't going to sit on a card for 2 weeks while they wait for yours to arrive. I have never had to pay a restocking fee for a rma'd & refunded refurb, but i did have to pay the return shipping fees. Also, they now have a $1 shipping charge for refurbs (used to be shipped free). You will not get that $1 refunded either.

They may have changed their refurb policy to have that mentioned 15% restocking fee, if so that would be reason alone to never buy a refurb again.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I think it is a new policy. Newegg's ownership has changed hands recently. They charged me that on a ASRock DualSATA2 with a bad VRM a few months ago(a jumpy Vcore made it unstabe at stock.) Fourty somthing dallors went to twenty after the deal. I think it's worth the risk most of the time because you stand to save more than to loose most of the time.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hmm....ewww restocking fee.. u sure u cant get a replacement on a refurb?

if ther eis a restocking fee i'll stick with a X1800XL and OC the poo out of it.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
hmm....ewww restocking fee.. u sure u cant get a replacement on a refurb?

if ther eis a restocking fee i'll stick with a X1800XL and OC the poo out of it.

The cheapest XL is $230. The cheapest XT is $280 with a $30 MIR. You'd need to overclock the XL's memory 500MHz to reach the memory speeds of the XT. You'd need to overclock the XL's core 150MHz to reach the core speeds of the XL. For those kinds of overclocks, you'd need a new cooler, which would make the final price more than that of the XT. I know which one I'd get.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
well if the 7900Gt is better by a hair or 2 ill get an X1800XT since its 20+ dollars cheaper, its the 7900GT completely obliterates the X1800XT then ill get the 7900GT

btw i do like AA and HDR and i kno Nvidia cant do AA + HRD at the same time

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
well if the 7900Gt is better by a hair or 2 ill get an X1800XT since its 20+ dollars cheaper, its the 7900GT completely obliterates the X1800XT then ill get the 7900GT

btw i do like AA and HDR and i kno Nvidia cant do AA + HRD at the same time

But nVidia does Linux far better than ATI does and that is my first priority.