More about time command

    From: "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I have some win98 SE workstations that run an app that is time sensitive. I
    | have a server setup for SNTP. When I try to use this:
    |
    | NET TIME \\127.0.0.1 /SET /Y
    |
    | I get an error stating that I don't have access to this file?
    |
    | If I use the hostname:
    |
    | NET TIME \\HOSTNAME /SET /Y
    |
    | I get an error stating that the requested system could not be located on the
    | network or the network path is bad.
    |
    | I need a way to synch the time on these workstations every hour on the half
    | hour.
    | I have used the net time command with no issues for WINNT and WIN2K but
    | WIN98 is running me in circles.

    Are you on a NT or AD Domain ?

    I use the NIST time client software on Win9x/ME w/o a problem.

    http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | I have some win98 SE workstations that run an app that is time sensitive. I
    > | have a server setup for SNTP. When I try to use this:
    > |
    > | NET TIME \\127.0.0.1 /SET /Y
    > |
    > | I get an error stating that I don't have access to this file?
    > |
    > | If I use the hostname:
    > |
    > | NET TIME \\HOSTNAME /SET /Y
    > |
    > | I get an error stating that the requested system could not be located on the
    > | network or the network path is bad.
    > |
    > | I need a way to synch the time on these workstations every hour on the half
    > | hour.
    > | I have used the net time command with no issues for WINNT and WIN2K but
    > | WIN98 is running me in circles.
    >
    > Are you on a NT or AD Domain ?
    >
    > I use the NIST time client software on Win9x/ME w/o a problem.
    >
    > http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I can't use an outside time source. There is proprietary information on
    these workstations so they cannot have access to the outside world.

    From: "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I can't use an outside time source. There is proprietary information on
    | these workstations so they cannot have access to the outside world.

    Use the NIST client and point them to a local timeserver. Are you on a Domain ?

    --

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >

    > | I can't use an outside time source. There is proprietary information on
    > | these workstations so they cannot have access to the outside world.
    >
    > Use the NIST client and point them to a local timeserver. Are you on a Domain ?
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    No these systems are not on a domain. However I do have a WIN2K domain
    controller that is configured as an SNTP provider. I'm not familiar witht the
    NIST client. Is this an enterprise app that must be installed on the server?
    I'm trying to aviod installing more apps on these systems.

    "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > No these systems are not on a domain. However I do have a WIN2K domain
    > controller that is configured as an SNTP provider. I'm not familiar witht
    the
    > NIST client. Is this an enterprise app that must be installed on the
    server?
    > I'm trying to aviod installing more apps on these systems.

    Here are 2 links that will spell it all out for you

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/security/wintimeserv.asp

    http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

    From: "Chris." <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | No these systems are not on a domain. However I do have a WIN2K domain
    | controller that is configured as an SNTP provider. I'm not familiar witht the
    | NIST client. Is this an enterprise app that must be installed on the server?
    | I'm trying to aviod installing more apps on these systems.

    It is a client that needs to be installed on the PC. You would have to run the program
    configure it and save the settings. Then you can add the executable to the HLLM RunServices
    Registry location to run in the background quietly.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
    "Time"="c:\\windows\\nistime-32bit.exe quiet"

    It is conceivable to to setup the service on one PC. Copy the nistime-32bit.exe file and
    configuration file and completly script the installation process on the other platforms.

    However, after viewing the configuration of the software, I can't se how to set a local Time
    server rather than using a NIST Time Server.
    Sorry if this is not a solution for you. :-(

    I can state this; the syntax would be; net time \\W2_SERVER_Name /set /yes

    This will not use TCP port 13 but will use NetBIOS to get the time form the Win2K Server so
    there must be NetBIOS communication between the Win98 workstations and the Win2K Server.
    That is why using the IP address will fail. It is also static. The Net Time command will
    only set the time when executed which may need to be placed in the MS Tasker such that it
    will periodically set the time (if needed).

    You can test NetBIOS connectivity with the NBTSTAT utility.

    From the POV of the Win98 PC...

    Execute..
    nbtstat -a IP_ADDRESS_Win2K
    or
    nbtstat -A W2_SERVER_Name

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hostname Workstations Command Prompt Windows