Factory Overclocked Gateways = Oxymoron

scrushmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
So I was reading this new TG article about a factory overclocked gateway desktop. WTF does that mean n e wayz? Gateway does not have any "Factories", they have warehouses where they plug stuff in. If the processor is over clocked it would be Warehouse overclocked (by newbs ftmp). I just cant believe that they would coin this term, like its a factory supercharged vehicle or some shit. I think they need to stfu and admit their company is going under.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Since companies like Gateway, Dell, etc. have motherboards made for them in significant quantities, it would be easy. They simply run a default BIOS for a given manufacturing run which has a small overclock included. The assemblers would not even be in this loop. Once fired up, instant overclock!

Since companies like Gateway, Dell, etc. have motherboards made for them in significant quantities, it would be easy. They simply run a default BIOS for a given manufacturing run which has a small overclock included. The assemblers would not even be in this loop. Once fired up, instant overclock!
+1 thats how its done. Its not an oxymoron... its just moronic ;)

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Over clocking is gay to begin with. I'm lucky that all I caused were some slight artifacts.

Plus it cuts the life in half of the piece of hardware you OC.

Just a stupid trend IMO

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Flame bait...
Over clocking is gay to begin with. I'm lucky that all I caused were some slight artifacts.
Real men (and women) successfully overclock all the time. I don't OC my computer because I don't need the extra speed, but I do overclock my lawn mower. :)

Not necessarily true. In some cases you can extend the life of a component or an entire system by making useful something that otherwise would be replaced. In addition, with proper cooling and attention paid to the amount of additional voltage (if any) applied, life expectancy may still exceed useful life by a wide margin.

Just a stupid trend IMO
Nope. Been done for decades.

OEMs and vendors also overclock either to gain a marketing edge over their competition, or to get the same performance of a higher-end part using a less expensive component.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Flame bait...
Real men (and women) successfully overclock all the time. I don't OC my computer because I don't need the extra speed, but I do overclock my lawn mower. :)

Not necessarily true. In some cases you can extend the life of a component or an entire system by making useful something that otherwise would be replaced. In addition, with proper cooling and attention paid to the amount of additional voltage (if any) applied, life expectancy may still exceed useful life by a wide margin.

Just a stupid trend IMO
Nope. Been done for decades.

OEMs and vendors also overclock either to gain a marketing edge over their competition, or to get the same performance of a higher-end part using a less expensive component.

Well I meant the average user.

saying overclocking is gay is a sign that you dont know what the hell you are doing.

if you research sh!t before you do it; it will be done correctly and you will be satisfied with the outcome....

i suggest maybe you read more articles and actually "get your nails dirty" and learn something about OCing before you knock it.

otherwise you will look like.... an ass....

have a nice day and good luck with your future endeavors.