Both DVD drives give "Not Accessible" error message.

I have 2 DVD drives (E and F) which have stopped working. I get the "E:\ is
not accessible. The device is not ready." error message. Same for F.

Things I have tried:

Plug and unplug to see if one is dead and making both or the other not show
up. Results are inconsistent. Sometimes after a reboot I can play stuff in
F for a while, but if I try to burn something it's gone again.

Ran Adaptec's ASPI Check utility. It says under component APIX.VXD - Version
4.71.1 and WNASPI32.DLL - Version 4.71.1. At the bottom it says "ASPI is
properly installed and fully operational.

Under System Properties on Device Manger under CDROM both devices show up.
I notice on the Settings tab in the Options box Disconnect is checked. I
unchecked it on both and hit okay but after restart it is checked again.

I can't think of anything else.

Please help. I desperatley need one or both of these drives to start
working again.

And thanks again.
27 answers Last reply
More about both drives give accessible error message

    randwill wrote:
    > I have 2 DVD drives (E and F) which have stopped working. I get the
    > "E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready." error message.
    > Same for F.

    Is it safe to assume you have a disc in the drive(s)?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > To make sure I'm doing this procedure correctly, here's exactly what I do:
    > 1. Hook up DVD drive and set jumper to the master position. Did it.
    > 2. Put Windows Startup floppy in floppy drive. Did it.
    > 3. Choose "With CDROM support" at startup. Did it.
    > 4. Note letter it assigns the drive. Not sure about this. Here is what I
    > see:
    >
    > "Preparing to start your computer.
    > This may take a few minutes. Please wait...
    > The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive E.
    > MSCDEX Version 2.25
    > Copyright, ect.
    > Drive F: = Driver MSD001 unit 0
    > To get help, type HELP and Press ENTER. "

    The above indicates to me that you have two hard drive partitions, C:\ and
    D:\, that the RAM drive that the Startup floppy creates got assigned E:, and
    that your CD drive letter got bumped to F:.

    > I put a music CD in the connected drive.

    I'd prefer using data CD, not a music CD. Music CDs typically have most of
    their data hidden from DOS and/or Windows.

    > A:\.> (Now I type on one line) e:dir
    > I get:
    > CDR101: Not reading drive F
    > Abort, Retry, Fail?
    >
    > I also tried typing - f:dir
    > But I still get:
    > CDR101: Not reading drive F
    > Abort, Retry, Fail?

    Neither of the above is the set of commands I suggested.

    > In your post you have it typed like this:
    > e:
    > dir
    > on 2 lines but if I hit Enter after typing "e:" then type "dir" it gives
    > me
    > a list of stuff (not the CD's contents).

    It's giving you the contents of the RAM drive, where the OS that the Startup
    disk loaded is stored. A RAM drive is a virtual drive that exists only in
    RAM. It disappears when you restart. What you want to do is this:

    f<colon><enter>
    dir

    > I have followed this procedure with both DVD drives with the same results.

    Try again. You haven't yet really accessed either of the drives in any
    useful manner and we want to know not only if the system sees the drives but
    if it can read from them. So far, all you've proved is that the system can
    see the drives. You haven't proven that they are fully accessible.

    Please understand that the instructions I have given so far are only the
    first step. The goal is to rule out hardware issues that that would make any
    further trouble-shooting meaningless. Once you prove that the drives are
    healthy (or not), we can look for more intricate problems (or not.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Okay. I have tested both DVD drives 3 times each with three different data
    CDs. The good news is that a list of the contents of the CDs showed up
    every time I tried it.

    Your next step was to try copying something from the CD to the hard drive.
    I don't know how to do this in DOS mode.

    I appreciate your patience with me and this problem.

    Randy Williams

    > I've followed this to the letter (literally) with 4 different data CDs. I
    > was careful to only select the names of FILES and not DIRECTORIES (which
    > were clearly indicated with "DIR"). Every time I got "Too many
    > parameters".
    >
    > I only tried this on one of the DVD drives.
    >
    > Does the "Too many parameters" message indicate that I'm doing something
    > wrong or is it a clue to the overall problem?

    Well, I looked at what I wrote and then tested it, and it *should* work. The
    "too many parameters" message *is* normally due to improper syntax, so...

    Did you put spaces in the right places? One after "copy" and one after the
    filename, before c:\test?
    Did you by chance use a /forward slash/ instead of a \backslash\?

    Sorry, I'm getting pooped and can't bring myself to look up other possible
    causes for this error right now. My poodle is becoming her usual demanding
    self--which is her job, of course, or I'd probably fuse permanently to this
    keyboard, <s>.

    Review my instructions and then humor me and try it one more time, and then
    perhaps with the other drive, also. (I doubt both drives are bad.) If still
    no joy, post back and I'll research it. Probably won't have any results
    until tomorrow, though.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    I tried again and again being very careful with the spaces and slashes but
    always got "Too many parameters."

    Just to be sure, it is an "F:\>" that appears below the list of the CD's
    contents. One file is called "AUTORUN INI" so I type:

    copy AUTORUN INI c:\test

    then hit Enter.

    Then it says "Too many parameters"

    I tried it with every file on 2 data discs. Same thing.

    Randy Williams

    > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > I've followed this to the letter (literally) with 4 different data CDs.
    > > was careful to only select the names of FILES and not DIRECTORIES (which
    > > were clearly indicated with "DIR"). Every time I got "Too many
    > > parameters".
    > >
    > > I only tried this on one of the DVD drives.
    > >
    > > Does the "Too many parameters" message indicate that I'm doing something
    > > wrong or is it a clue to the overall problem?
    >
    > Well, I looked at what I wrote and then tested it, and it *should* work.
    The
    > "too many parameters" message *is* normally due to improper syntax, so...
    >
    > Did you put spaces in the right places? One after "copy" and one after the
    > filename, before c:\test?
    > Did you by chance use a /forward slash/ instead of a \backslash\?
    >
    > Sorry, I'm getting pooped and can't bring myself to look up other possible
    > causes for this error right now. My poodle is becoming her usual demanding
    > self--which is her job, of course, or I'd probably fuse permanently to
    this
    > keyboard, <s>.
    >
    > Review my instructions and then humor me and try it one more time, and
    then
    > perhaps with the other drive, also. (I doubt both drives are bad.) If
    still
    > no joy, post back and I'll research it. Probably won't have any results
    > until tomorrow, though.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User

    OK, well I forget what the results of a DIR command in Win98 looks like, but
    the problem is that the file's name is AUTORUN.INI (note the <dot>, or
    period). Or was that space instead of the period just a typo in your
    message?

    By the way. I should have mentioned this before: Don't copy AUTORUN.INF to
    your hard drive, especially not a root folder (C:\, D:\, etc.) Autorun.inf
    files on a hard drive cause problems.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    >I tried again and again being very careful with the spaces and slashes but
    > always got "Too many parameters."
    >
    > Just to be sure, it is an "F:\>" that appears below the list of the CD's
    > contents. One file is called "AUTORUN INI" so I type:
    >
    > copy AUTORUN INI c:\test
    >
    > then hit Enter.
    >
    > Then it says "Too many parameters"
    >
    > I tried it with every file on 2 data discs. Same thing.
    >
    > Randy Williams

    >> "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've followed this to the letter (literally) with 4 different data CDs.
    >> > was careful to only select the names of FILES and not DIRECTORIES
    >> > (which
    >> > were clearly indicated with "DIR"). Every time I got "Too many
    >> > parameters".
    >> >
    >> > I only tried this on one of the DVD drives.
    >> >
    >> > Does the "Too many parameters" message indicate that I'm doing
    >> > something
    >> > wrong or is it a clue to the overall problem?
    >>
    >> Well, I looked at what I wrote and then tested it, and it *should* work.
    > The
    >> "too many parameters" message *is* normally due to improper syntax, so...
    >>
    >> Did you put spaces in the right places? One after "copy" and one after
    >> the
    >> filename, before c:\test?
    >> Did you by chance use a /forward slash/ instead of a \backslash\?
    >>
    >> Sorry, I'm getting pooped and can't bring myself to look up other
    >> possible
    >> causes for this error right now. My poodle is becoming her usual
    >> demanding
    >> self--which is her job, of course, or I'd probably fuse permanently to
    > this
    >> keyboard, <s>.
    >>
    >> Review my instructions and then humor me and try it one more time, and
    > then
    >> perhaps with the other drive, also. (I doubt both drives are bad.) If
    > still
    >> no joy, post back and I'll research it. Probably won't have any results
    >> until tomorrow, though.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User

    AUTORUN INI (without period) was just an example of one of several different
    files from five different CDs I tried the copy command on. I got "Too many
    parameters" on them all.

    Randy Williams

    > AUTORUN INI (without period) was just an example of one of several
    different
    > files from five different CDs I tried the copy command on. I got "Too
    many
    > parameters" on them all.

    You NEED the period between the file identifier AUTORUN
    and the file extension INI

    Typing AUTORUN INI will generate the error.

    Using AUTORUN.INI will not.

    "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > AUTORUN INI (without period) was just an example of one of several different
    > files from five different CDs I tried the copy command on. I got "Too many
    > parameters" on them all.
    >
    > Randy Williams

    Sorry for butting in.
    You are probably doing it right, but I just wanted to make sure.
    The period HAS to be there.
    filename(period)extension.

    Ex copy readme.txt c:\test and not copy readme txt C:\test
    ie: copy[space]readme[period]txt[space]c:\test
    NOTcopy[space]readme[space]txt[space]c:\test

    copy AUTORUN.INI c:\test and not copy autorun ini C:\test
    copy[space]AUTORUN[period]INI[space]c:\test

    PS: don't use autorun.ini as a test file, pick another as Gary pointed out.
    Listen to Gary and you will get it figured out.

    What they said. The proper filename is AUTORUN [period] INI
    A space instead of the period will generate the error you're getting.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > AUTORUN INI (without period) was just an example of one of several
    > different
    > files from five different CDs I tried the copy command on. I got "Too
    > many
    > parameters" on them all.
    >
    > Randy Williams

    >> OK, well I forget what the results of a DIR command in Win98 looks like,
    > but
    >> the problem is that the file's name is AUTORUN.INI (note the <dot>, or
    >> period). Or was that space instead of the period just a typo in your
    >> message?
    >>
    >> By the way. I should have mentioned this before: Don't copy AUTORUN.INF
    >> your hard drive, especially not a root folder (C:\, D:\, etc.)
    >> Autorun.inf
    >> files on a hard drive cause problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> >I tried again and again being very careful with the spaces and slashes
    > but
    >> > always got "Too many parameters."
    >> >
    >> > Just to be sure, it is an "F:\>" that appears below the list of the
    >> > CD's
    >> > contents. One file is called "AUTORUN INI" so I type:
    >> >
    >> > copy AUTORUN INI c:\test
    >> >
    >> > then hit Enter.
    >> >
    >> > Then it says "Too many parameters"
    >> >
    >> > I tried it with every file on 2 data discs. Same thing.
    >> >
    >> > Randy Williams
    >> >

    >> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > CDs.

    > work.
    >> > The
    > so...

    >> > this

    >> > then
    >> > still

    Pssst... Autorun.ini is OK. Autorun.INF is not.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Pssst... Autorun.ini is OK. Autorun.INF is not.

    Whoops. :-(
    :-)

    Okay thanks guys. I have successfully copied several files from one DVD
    drive. (All caps with the period worked.)

    So we know both drives and their contents are seen in DOS mode and I can
    copy from one of them. I'll do the copy test on the other drive now.
    Meanwhile, what's the next step?

    Thanks.

    Randy

    OK, assuming both drives check out OK in DOS copy procedures, let's move on.

    Are both of these drives DVD-ROM? Is neither one of them a burner? If one is
    a burner, make it the Secondary Master drive. Make the other drive the
    Slave.

    Once you have the drives connected properly, and both have worked OK in DOS,
    restart the system and repeatedly press the Ctrl key until the Startup Menu
    comes up (holding it down will prompt a stuck-key error). Choose Safe Mode.
    In Safe Mode, go to Device Manager. Delete ALL drives and ALL controllers
    (you won't be able to remove FIFOs, don't worry, it's OK.) Also look in the
    System section and delete the PCI Bus. While you're there, review the entire
    list for devices you recognize as having been physically removed from the
    system in the past. Also look for duplicate entries. Must be *exact*
    duplicates. Make a list of these, name and the number of times it appears.
    Post back here with that info when it's convenient.

    After removing the IDE chain (drives, controllers, etc.) restart and let
    Windows reinstall the devices. You'll need to reboot at least once.

    That should do it. Let us know.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Okay thanks guys. I have successfully copied several files from one DVD
    > drive. (All caps with the period worked.)
    >
    > So we know both drives and their contents are seen in DOS mode and I can
    > copy from one of them. I'll do the copy test on the other drive now.
    > Meanwhile, what's the next step?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Randy

    Followed all instructions but when CD is placed in either drive and I click
    on it I get the same "drive is not accessible. The device is not ready"
    error message.

    Here's the list of devices from the System section and the number of times
    they are listed:

    ACPI Fan
    ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering (8)
    ACPI Power Button
    ACPI System Button
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS
    Composite Power Search
    Direct memory access controller
    IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator
    Motherboard resourcer (2)
    Numeric data processor
    PCI standard host CPU bridge
    PCI standard ISA bridge
    PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge (2)
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    PnP BIOS Extension
    Processor support
    Programmable interrupt controller
    SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    System board
    System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    Sysytem CMOS / real time clock
    System speaker
    System timer

    So unless you see something here that may be causing Windows to not see the
    CDs in the drives am I out of luck?
    How far am I from a complete re-formatting?

    Randy Williams

    > OK, assuming both drives check out OK in DOS copy procedures, let's move
    on.

    > Are both of these drives DVD-ROM? Is neither one of them a burner? If one
    is
    > a burner, make it the Secondary Master drive. Make the other drive the
    > Slave.
    >
    > Once you have the drives connected properly, and both have worked OK in
    DOS,
    > restart the system and repeatedly press the Ctrl key until the Startup
    Menu
    > comes up (holding it down will prompt a stuck-key error). Choose Safe
    Mode.
    > In Safe Mode, go to Device Manager. Delete ALL drives and ALL controllers
    > (you won't be able to remove FIFOs, don't worry, it's OK.) Also look in
    the
    > System section and delete the PCI Bus. While you're there, review the
    entire
    > list for devices you recognize as having been physically removed from the
    > system in the past. Also look for duplicate entries. Must be *exact*
    > duplicates. Make a list of these, name and the number of times it appears.
    > Post back here with that info when it's convenient.
    >
    > After removing the IDE chain (drives, controllers, etc.) restart and let
    > Windows reinstall the devices. You'll need to reboot at least once.
    >
    > That should do it. Let us know.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >

    > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay thanks guys. I have successfully copied several files from one DVD
    > > drive. (All caps with the period worked.)
    > >
    > > So we know both drives and their contents are seen in DOS mode and I can
    > > copy from one of them. I'll do the copy test on the other drive now.
    > > Meanwhile, what's the next step?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Randy

    No, it's too soon to be considering the nuclear option, and I'm loathe to do
    that without trying to find out what the problem really is. Of course, *you*
    are welcome to give up any time, <s>.

    Next thing I want you to try:
    First make *sure* you disconnect your machine physically from the internet
    (telephone line, LAN line, whatever.)
    See my article, "Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it"

    Follow the instructions there to set up a Clean Boot environment. Be *sure*
    to physically disconnect your system from the internet, however that is most
    easily accomplished. When the system finishes restarting, test the drives.
    If they still don't behave, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any and
    all CD/DVD burning software. Restart and test again.

    I'll be waiting your next report.

    Oh, yeah. That list of devices looks perfectly fine, but I intended that you
    should review the *entire* Device Manager list for duplicates, not just the
    System section. My mistake in syntax.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Followed all instructions but when CD is placed in either drive and I
    > click
    > on it I get the same "drive is not accessible. The device is not ready"
    > error message.
    >
    > Here's the list of devices from the System section and the number of times
    > they are listed:
    >
    > ACPI Fan
    > ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering (8)
    > ACPI Power Button
    > ACPI System Button
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS
    > Composite Power Search
    > Direct memory access controller
    > IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator
    > Motherboard resourcer (2)
    > Numeric data processor
    > PCI standard host CPU bridge
    > PCI standard ISA bridge
    > PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge (2)
    > Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    > PnP BIOS Extension
    > Processor support
    > Programmable interrupt controller
    > SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    > System board
    > System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    > Sysytem CMOS / real time clock
    > System speaker
    > System timer
    >
    > So unless you see something here that may be causing Windows to not see
    > the
    > CDs in the drives am I out of luck?
    > How far am I from a complete re-formatting?
    >
    > Randy Williams

    I just tried an experiment. I put a video DVD into F DVD drive (the reader
    only) and ripped it. But when I tried to burn it with Nero using E drive
    (the burner) Nero didn't see the blank DVD. I rebooted, leaving the blank
    in E drive, and now Nero saw it and burned the disc. However when I opened
    the disc to look at it's contents, I didn't get the "drive not accessible"
    error but no contents showed in the box. This is in the same drive that
    just burned it. Placing it in the reader (F) yeilded the usual "drive not
    accessible" error.

    To sum up F read the disc, reboot, E burned the disc. F saw nothing on disc,
    E didn't see disc at all.

    I've been thinking of upgrading to XP, I'm beginning to wonder if now might
    be the time. Both drives obviously work correctly, it's the operating
    system that's not dancing with them, right?

    Randy

    ..
> [...]
    > > duplicates. Make a list of these, name and the number of times it
    appears.
    > > Post back here with that info when it's convenient.
    > >
    > > After removing the IDE chain (drives, controllers, etc.) restart and let
    > > Windows reinstall the devices. You'll need to reboot at least once.
    > >
    > > That should do it. Let us know.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >

    > > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Okay thanks guys. I have successfully copied several files from one
    DVD
    > > > drive. (All caps with the period worked.)
    > > >
    > > > So we know both drives and their contents are seen in DOS mode and I
    can
    > > > copy from one of them. I'll do the copy test on the other drive now.

    No, it's not the OS. Or rather, it's not *just* the OS if it's the OS at
    all. It's much more likely your burning software. Do you have InCD
    installed? Do you use it? Have you updated your Nero software recently? (And
    I take it you've not yet done any of the stuff I suggested a little while
    ago?)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    >> Mode.
    >> > In Safe Mode, go to Device Manager. Delete ALL drives and ALL
    > controllers
    >> > (you won't be able to remove FIFOs, don't worry, it's OK.) Also look in
    >> the
    >> > System section and delete the PCI Bus. While you're there, review the
    >> entire
    >> > list for devices you recognize as having been physically removed from
    > the
    >> > system in the past. Also look for duplicate entries. Must be *exact*
    >> > duplicates. Make a list of these, name and the number of times it
    > appears.
    >> > Post back here with that info when it's convenient.
    >> >
    >> > After removing the IDE chain (drives, controllers, etc.) restart and
    >> > let
    >> > Windows reinstall the devices. You'll need to reboot at least once.

    No, I haven't had a chance to do the latest suggestions, but if you think
    it's related to my burning software I think I'll do your most recent
    suggestions AND re-install Nero.

    Won't be able to get to this until the weekend and as this thread is getting
    longer and lower - don't abandon me!

    Thanks.

    Randy

> [...]
    > >> Composite Power Search
    > >> Direct memory access controller
    > >> IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator
    > >> Motherboard resourcer (2)
    > >> Numeric data processor
    > >> PCI standard host CPU bridge
    > >> PCI standard ISA bridge
    > >> PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge (2)
    > >> Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    > >> PnP BIOS Extension
    > >> Processor support
    > >> Programmable interrupt controller
    > >> SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    > >> System board
    > >> System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    > >> Sysytem CMOS / real time clock
    > >> System speaker
    > >> System timer
    > >>
    > >> So unless you see something here that may be causing Windows to not see
    > > the
    > >> CDs in the drives am I out of luck?
    > >> How far am I from a complete re-formatting?

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Don't worry. I live here.

    Yes, CD burning software is notorious for messing up CD drives and burner
    behavior. Particularly packet writers (InCD, DirectCD, etc.) My personal
    recommendation is to never install such apps. Regular burning utilities are
    usually fine, but even they can cause odd issues like yours.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > No, I haven't had a chance to do the latest suggestions, but if you think
    > it's related to my burning software I think I'll do your most recent
    > suggestions AND re-install Nero.
    >
    > Won't be able to get to this until the weekend and as this thread is
    > getting
    > longer and lower - don't abandon me!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Randy

    >> No, it's not the OS. Or rather, it's not *just* the OS if it's the OS at
    >> all. It's much more likely your burning software. Do you have InCD
    >> installed? Do you use it? Have you updated your Nero software recently?
    > (And
    >> I take it you've not yet done any of the stuff I suggested a little while
    >> ago?)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just tried an experiment. I put a video DVD into F DVD drive (the
    > reader
    >> > only) and ripped it. But when I tried to burn it with Nero using E
    >> > drive
    >> > (the burner) Nero didn't see the blank DVD. I rebooted, leaving the
    > blank
    >> > in E drive, and now Nero saw it and burned the disc. However when I
    >> > opened
    >> > the disc to look at it's contents, I didn't get the "drive not
    > accessible"
    >> > error but no contents showed in the box. This is in the same drive
    >> > that
    >> > just burned it. Placing it in the reader (F) yeilded the usual "drive
    > not
    >> > accessible" error.
    >> >
    >> > To sum up F read the disc, reboot, E burned the disc. F saw nothing on
    >> > disc,
    >> > E didn't see disc at all.
    >> >
    >> > I've been thinking of upgrading to XP, I'm beginning to wonder if now
    >> > might
    >> > be the time. Both drives obviously work correctly, it's the operating
    >> > system that's not dancing with them, right?
    >> >
    >> > Randy
    >> >

    >> > .
    >> > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> > click
    > ready"

    >> > the

    >> > one
    > the

    > in
    > Startup
    >> > controllers
    > in
    >> > the
    >> > appears.

    > one
    >> > DVD

    >> > can
    > now.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:22:07 GMT, "Randwill"
    <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I just tried an experiment. I put a video DVD into F DVD drive (the reader
    >only) and ripped it. But when I tried to burn it with Nero using E drive
    >(the burner) Nero didn't see the blank DVD. I rebooted, leaving the blank
    >in E drive, and now Nero saw it and burned the disc. However when I opened
    >the disc to look at it's contents, I didn't get the "drive not accessible"
    >error but no contents showed in the box. This is in the same drive that
    >just burned it. Placing it in the reader (F) yeilded the usual "drive not
    >accessible" error.
    >
    >To sum up F read the disc, reboot, E burned the disc. F saw nothing on disc,
    >E didn't see disc at all.

    I get the same kinds of problems with my setup. I'm using Win98SE with
    an LG DVD writer and an LG DVD-ROM. Explorer's View -> Refresh does
    not resolve the problem. It seems that only a reboot makes the drives
    work again. I'm using the bundled B's Recorder Gold burning software.
    Often Explorer will crash but it can always be relaunched without
    apparent problems (other than the DVD devices). Although I don't use
    them, the writer supports DVD RAM discs. I don't know whether this is
    significant, though. I notice that I can ameliorate the situation
    somewhat by ejecting the discs under software control, ie by
    r-clicking the drive and selecting Eject.

    -- Franc Zabkar

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Both of you need to understand that the burning technologies you're dealing
    with were developed in a post-Win98 era. They didn't likely build the
    drivers from scratch with Win9x in mind, they probably just did what they
    could to make primarily NT-based drivers work in 9x. Usually not a totally
    successful venture, but sensible when it comes to economics. But mixing
    burner software, or even running one on a system where other(s) only
    previously existed can cause problems. Trick is to get all burner app
    components cleaned out, then choose one that works and stick with it. Even
    upgrading the existing SW can cause the same kinds of problems.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:22:07 GMT, "Randwill"
    > <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>I just tried an experiment. I put a video DVD into F DVD drive (the
    >>reader
    >>only) and ripped it. But when I tried to burn it with Nero using E drive
    >>(the burner) Nero didn't see the blank DVD. I rebooted, leaving the blank
    >>in E drive, and now Nero saw it and burned the disc. However when I
    >>opened
    >>the disc to look at it's contents, I didn't get the "drive not accessible"
    >>error but no contents showed in the box. This is in the same drive that
    >>just burned it. Placing it in the reader (F) yeilded the usual "drive not
    >>accessible" error.
    >>
    >>To sum up F read the disc, reboot, E burned the disc. F saw nothing on
    >>disc,
    >>E didn't see disc at all.
    >
    > I get the same kinds of problems with my setup. I'm using Win98SE with
    > an LG DVD writer and an LG DVD-ROM. Explorer's View -> Refresh does
    > not resolve the problem. It seems that only a reboot makes the drives
    > work again. I'm using the bundled B's Recorder Gold burning software.
    > Often Explorer will crash but it can always be relaunched without
    > apparent problems (other than the DVD devices). Although I don't use
    > them, the writer supports DVD RAM discs. I don't know whether this is
    > significant, though. I notice that I can ameliorate the situation
    > somewhat by ejecting the discs under software control, ie by
    > r-clicking the drive and selecting Eject.
    >

    > -- Franc Zabkar
    >
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:26:37 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Both of you need to understand that the burning technologies you're dealing
    >with were developed in a post-Win98 era. They didn't likely build the
    >drivers from scratch with Win9x in mind, they probably just did what they
    >could to make primarily NT-based drivers work in 9x. Usually not a totally
    >successful venture, but sensible when it comes to economics. But mixing
    >burner software, or even running one on a system where other(s) only
    >previously existed can cause problems. Trick is to get all burner app
    >components cleaned out, then choose one that works and stick with it. Even
    >upgrading the existing SW can cause the same kinds of problems.

    The OS was a fresh install, and only one burner app has ever been used
    on this machine.

    -- Franc Zabkar

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Sorry, I did manage to misread your post, didn't I, <s>?.

    Worse yet, I didn't post what was actually uppermost in my thoughts at the
    time. It's always been my impression that DVD burner technology simply
    doesn't work well on *any* 9x system. Something(s) in the basic structure of
    the OS just isn't capable of providing sufficient foundation. Same goes for
    modern USB and many other hardware technologies.

    To me, it's another example of the truth behind that nebulous rule of thumb
    that suggests not spreading systems components, hardware or software, across
    too many generations.

    --

    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:26:37 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>Both of you need to understand that the burning technologies you're
    >>dealing
    >>with were developed in a post-Win98 era. They didn't likely build the
    >>drivers from scratch with Win9x in mind, they probably just did what they
    >>could to make primarily NT-based drivers work in 9x. Usually not a totally
    >>successful venture, but sensible when it comes to economics. But mixing
    >>burner software, or even running one on a system where other(s) only
    >>previously existed can cause problems. Trick is to get all burner app
    >>components cleaned out, then choose one that works and stick with it. Even
    >>upgrading the existing SW can cause the same kinds of problems.
    >
    > The OS was a fresh install, and only one burner app has ever been used
    > on this machine.
    >

    > -- Franc Zabkar
    >
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ISSUE RESOLVED!

    After uninstalling a couple of excess DVD ripping/burning apps all discs
    placed in either drive are immediately recognized.

    I can't thank you enough for your patient help with this. I believe that if
    it weren't for the great help found in newsgroups, all computing in the
    world would grind to a halt. Well, anyway, all MY computing!

    Randy

    > Don't worry. I live here.
    >
    > Yes, CD burning software is notorious for messing up CD drives and burner
    > behavior. Particularly packet writers (InCD, DirectCD, etc.) My personal
    > recommendation is to never install such apps. Regular burning utilities
    are
    > usually fine, but even they can cause odd issues like yours.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > No, I haven't had a chance to do the latest suggestions, but if you
    think
    > > it's related to my burning software I think I'll do your most recent
    > > suggestions AND re-install Nero.
    > >
    > > Won't be able to get to this until the weekend and as this thread is
    > > getting
    > > longer and lower - don't abandon me!
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Randy
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> No, it's not the OS. Or rather, it's not *just* the OS if it's the OS
    at
    > >> all. It's much more likely your burning software. Do you have InCD
    > >> installed? Do you use it? Have you updated your Nero software recently?
    > > (And
    > >> I take it you've not yet done any of the stuff I suggested a little
    while
    > >> ago?)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > reader
    > > blank
    > > accessible"
    > > not

    > > ready"

    > > the

    OK
    > > in
    > > Startup
    > > in

    > > one

    > > now.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Glad to hear it. Phew!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | ISSUE RESOLVED!
    |
    | After uninstalling a couple of excess DVD ripping/burning apps all
    discs
    | placed in either drive are immediately recognized.
    |
    | I can't thank you enough for your patient help with this. I believe
    that if
    | it weren't for the great help found in newsgroups, all computing in
    the
    | world would grind to a halt. Well, anyway, all MY computing!
    |
    | Randy
    |

    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Don't worry. I live here.
    | >
    | > Yes, CD burning software is notorious for messing up CD drives and
    burner
    | > behavior. Particularly packet writers (InCD, DirectCD, etc.) My
    personal
    | > recommendation is to never install such apps. Regular burning
    utilities
    | are
    | > usually fine, but even they can cause odd issues like yours.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gary S. Terhune
    | > MS-MVP Shell/User
    | >
    | > "Randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > > No, I haven't had a chance to do the latest suggestions, but if
    you
    | think
    | > > it's related to my burning software I think I'll do your most
    recent
    | > > suggestions AND re-install Nero.
    | > >
    | > > Won't be able to get to this until the weekend and as this thread
    is
    | > > getting
    | > > longer and lower - don't abandon me!
    | > >
    | > > Thanks.
    | > >
    | > > Randy
    | > >

    | > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | at
    InCD
    | > > (And
    | while

    | > > reader
    | > > blank
    | > > accessible"
    | "drive
    | > > not

    | on

    | operating

    | > > ready"

    | let's

    | > > the

    | OK
    | > > in
    | > > Startup
    Choose
    ALL
    Also
    | look
    | > > in
    | *exact*

    restart
    | and
    | once.

    | > > one

    | and
    | > > now.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    <Applause>

    OK, back to work!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune