98SE IDE dual Fifo problem - opinions sought

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 31, 2005 7:07:28 AM

On a very stable 98SE running on an Asus MB, (AMD Athlon XP CPU,
512RAM, 2 IDE drives) I notice operations suddenly slowing a bit.

Checking around, I saw that in Control Panel/System/Devices the IDE
Dual FIFO controller was marked as "uninstalled or improper drivers".

There are no IDE drives listed now under the same screen, only the
floppy yet Windows obviously sees the drives and they operate.

I first removed ALL IDE drivers thinking Windows would refind and
install them at the next boot ... NOT!!!

I then extracted both ESDI-506.pdr and IOS.vxd to the proper Windows
directories and obtained and installed fresh VIA drivers (separately,
not in the same evolution ... one at a time seems to always work
best)... no help.

BIOS settings are all where they should be and both drives check out
fine with the Mfr diagnostics, btw.

This system has operated without the first problem since I built it 3
years ago, so .. I am at a bit of a loss.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com

Restart in Safe Mode. What do you see in Device Manager there, particularly
in the Controllers and drives sections?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"pogo" <ponogospam36@charter.net> wrote in message
> On a very stable 98SE running on an Asus MB, (AMD Athlon XP CPU,
> 512RAM, 2 IDE drives) I notice operations suddenly slowing a bit.
>
> Checking around, I saw that in Control Panel/System/Devices the IDE
> Dual FIFO controller was marked as "uninstalled or improper drivers".
>
> There are no IDE drives listed now under the same screen, only the
> floppy yet Windows obviously sees the drives and they operate.
>
> I first removed ALL IDE drivers thinking Windows would refind and
> install them at the next boot ... NOT!!!
>
> I then extracted both ESDI-506.pdr and IOS.vxd to the proper Windows
> directories and obtained and installed fresh VIA drivers (separately,
> not in the same evolution ... one at a time seems to always work
> best)... no help.
>
> BIOS settings are all where they should be and both drives check out
> fine with the Mfr diagnostics, btw.
>
> This system has operated without the first problem since I built it 3
> years ago, so .. I am at a bit of a loss.
>
> Any and all opinions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> PoGo
> www.pogo123.com
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> "Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".

August 31, 2005 8:28:41 PM

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
news:o 86FbsdrFHA.1724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Restart in Safe Mode. What do you see in Device Manager there,
> particularly in the Controllers and drives sections?

-----------------------------
Hi, Gary ...

I haven't been around the group in about a year so it's good to see
some of the "old gang" still around.

Don't know why I didn't think to check Safe Mode ... getting old, I
guess, but everything is there just fine when I did, at your
suggestion.

All drives and all controllers are displayed with no warning flags.

This suggests that there is some other program influencing the problem.

Since my first request, I did a bit more checking and ...

1. This 100Gig Maxtor drive recently replaced an 80Gig Maxtor,
2. I booted to the old 80G and it was fine ... all drives were
recognized in Control Panel/System/Device Manager and all drivers were
operating fine,
3. I checked the partition info with both Fdisk and Maxtor's utility
(good on both), reformatted the partitions and recloned the old drive
(which I have been doing for backups for years. At today's prices,
another drive is the best/cheapest backup you can get, in my opinion.),
4. Same problem.

Calling Maxtor was fruitless. Since bios rcognizes the drive and it
passes all their diagnostics, it's not their problem and they had no
clue why 98SE would react to this drive in the manner it does and not
the same drive model/series only 20G smaller.

The next item on my list is to try another fresh, new drive to
eliminate the remote possibility that this situation is unique to this
particular drive.

Another possible remedy could be to do a Windows "overtop" reinstall.
Since I helped discover that process way back with Win-95, I'm pretty
familiar with it.

Thanks for the tip, Gary. Even though I still see controller flags, I
do breathe a bit easier since doing the check you suggested.

Anything further you can think of I should try or look at?

Have a good day ...

--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com

If you see all drives, controllers, etc., in DM in Safe Mode, but not in
Normal Mode, then the thing to do is to prompt the reinstallation of the
entire IDE tree. You do this by removing them in Safe Mode. ALL drives, ALL
controllers, and the System device named PCI Bus. You then restart and let
them be reinstalled. No, you can't directly delete the FIFOs, but you *can*
delete a certain Registry Key to accomplish the deed. Sorry, I'd have to
look up the key name for Win9x (it's a Key named MF, in the ENUM tree, I
believe), but regardless, I've seldom seen it really necessary to do so.
Just leave them in DM, remove all the rest of the items I listed. Then
restart.

Please don't think you can shortcut this by micro-managing the
suggestions--there is a good reason for removing ALL drives, ALL controllers
and the PCI Bus. If you don't remove all of them, the proper structured may
not get properly rebuilt.

Once you tried the above, if it doesn't remedy your problem, then we can
dive into the more esoteric possibilities. Cloning is not always a
straight-forward process. In this case, it looks as if the drive is OK, the
OS is OK, but there's just enough difference in the new drive's specs that
it has thrown a wrench into the structure of PCI\IDE\Drives drivers. Only if
rebuilding it doesn't help would I even bother to consider other more
drastic suggestions like an overinstall (I hate overinstalls, anyway.)
Rebuilding part or all of the Hardware Profile is often part of the cloning
process.

--

> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
> news:o 86FbsdrFHA.1724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
>> Restart in Safe Mode. What do you see in Device Manager there,
>> particularly in the Controllers and drives sections?
>>
> -----------------------------
> Hi, Gary ...
>
> I haven't been around the group in about a year so it's good to see
> some of the "old gang" still around.
>
> Don't know why I didn't think to check Safe Mode ... getting old, I
> guess, but everything is there just fine when I did, at your
> suggestion.
>
> All drives and all controllers are displayed with no warning flags.
>
> This suggests that there is some other program influencing the problem.
>
> Since my first request, I did a bit more checking and ...
>
> 1. This 100Gig Maxtor drive recently replaced an 80Gig Maxtor,
> 2. I booted to the old 80G and it was fine ... all drives were
> recognized in Control Panel/System/Device Manager and all drivers were
> operating fine,
> 3. I checked the partition info with both Fdisk and Maxtor's utility
> (good on both), reformatted the partitions and recloned the old drive
> (which I have been doing for backups for years. At today's prices,
> another drive is the best/cheapest backup you can get, in my opinion.),
> 4. Same problem.
>
> Calling Maxtor was fruitless. Since bios rcognizes the drive and it
> passes all their diagnostics, it's not their problem and they had no
> clue why 98SE would react to this drive in the manner it does and not
> the same drive model/series only 20G smaller.
>
> The next item on my list is to try another fresh, new drive to
> eliminate the remote possibility that this situation is unique to this
> particular drive.
>
> Another possible remedy could be to do a Windows "overtop" reinstall.
> Since I helped discover that process way back with Win-95, I'm pretty
> familiar with it.
>
> Thanks for the tip, Gary. Even though I still see controller flags, I
> do breathe a bit easier since doing the check you suggested.
>
> Anything further you can think of I should try or look at?
>
> Have a good day ...
>
> --
> PoGo
> www.pogo123.com
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> "Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".

August 31, 2005 9:23:23 PM

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
news:o 86FbsdrFHA.1724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Restart in Safe Mode. What do you see in Device Manager there,
> particularly in the Controllers and drives sections?
--------------------------
Btw, Gary ... and just to clear a couple small points ...

SFC does not show any problems and

MsInfo32/Problem Devices confirms that the problem is in ESDI_506.pdr,

of which I have already extracted a fresh copy to the proper directory.

Thanks, again ...
--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com
"Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 9:23:24 PM

> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
> news:o 86FbsdrFHA.1724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
> > Restart in Safe Mode. What do you see in Device Manager there,
> > particularly in the Controllers and drives sections?
> --------------------------
> Btw, Gary ... and just to clear a couple small points ...
>
> SFC does not show any problems and
>
> MsInfo32/Problem Devices confirms that the problem is in ESDI_506.pdr,
>
> of which I have already extracted a fresh copy to the proper directory.
>
> Thanks, again ...
> --
> PoGo

Have you tried to get the latest MB drivers for your MB from Asus?
Just a thought and may not even pertain to your problem.
August 31, 2005 10:50:47 PM

> If you see all drives, controllers, etc., in DM in Safe Mode, but
> not in Normal Mode, then the thing to do is to prompt the
> reinstallation of the entire IDE tree.

<SNIP>

Thanks Gary, but I have already done this and though it initially
rebuilt the drive section, it again gave the identical indications
after the first re-boot ... and I have the Reg Key address you
mentioned ... haven't tried that yet (one step at a time), but I may on
the next cycle.

Cloning (with a specifically designed program ie, Ghost 2003), has
always worked well for me. I've used Ghost since about 1990 without the
first problem for both installing new drives (maybe over 1000) and back
ups to a spare drive. Things do change, though ... I admit.

The same applies to an Over Top Re-install. A few of us discovered the
process viability with Win-95 and it's never failed for me. I always
warn anyone else, however, that it is NOT a problem panacea and only
works for Win-95, 98 & 98SE ... generally, problems can and should be
fixed, rather than covered up.

At any rate, Gary, I just noticed another thread (lotsa replies) to a
similar situation where someone asked before buying a Maxtor 160Gb.

In it, I saw reference to 48Bit LBA addressing that I didn't suspect,
but went researching for this drive. I posted a comment in that thread,
where you are responding, so I won't repeat that info here.

Very interesting ...

I thank you again, Gary, for all your patience and effort.

We'll crack this bugger yet :)

--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com
"Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:50:48 PM

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder about those Maxtor drives. Your theory is
worthy of investigation.

FWIW, I have to again insist that over-installs aren't that wise except to
get into a broken system in preparation for a reformat/reinstall (to back up
files, etc.) Especially these days, any Win9x system that has been updated
will have tons of system files that overinstall will replace--sometime
backing them up to VCM but just as often not. This results in DLL Hell and
even broken apps like DirectX. If you're going to overinstall in an attempt
to rebuild the Hardware Profile, you'd do much better to simply delete the
HKLM\ENUM key and reboot. If it's for any other purpose, then you'll save
lots of time and heartache if you reformat/reinstall instead. I understand
the idea behind over-installs, and I used to do quite a few of them myself.
But time and comparison has taught me that it's just not an efficient way to
go about restoring a system to optimum health.

--

> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
>
>> If you see all drives, controllers, etc., in DM in Safe Mode, but
>> not in Normal Mode, then the thing to do is to prompt the
>> reinstallation of the entire IDE tree.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Thanks Gary, but I have already done this and though it initially
> rebuilt the drive section, it again gave the identical indications
> after the first re-boot ... and I have the Reg Key address you
> mentioned ... haven't tried that yet (one step at a time), but I may on
> the next cycle.
>
> Cloning (with a specifically designed program ie, Ghost 2003), has
> always worked well for me. I've used Ghost since about 1990 without the
> first problem for both installing new drives (maybe over 1000) and back
> ups to a spare drive. Things do change, though ... I admit.
>
> The same applies to an Over Top Re-install. A few of us discovered the
> process viability with Win-95 and it's never failed for me. I always
> warn anyone else, however, that it is NOT a problem panacea and only
> works for Win-95, 98 & 98SE ... generally, problems can and should be
> fixed, rather than covered up.
>
> At any rate, Gary, I just noticed another thread (lotsa replies) to a
> similar situation where someone asked before buying a Maxtor 160Gb.
>
> In it, I saw reference to 48Bit LBA addressing that I didn't suspect,
> but went researching for this drive. I posted a comment in that thread,
> where you are responding, so I won't repeat that info here.
>
> Very interesting ...
>
> I thank you again, Gary, for all your patience and effort.
>
> We'll crack this bugger yet :)
>

> --
> PoGo
> www.pogo123.com
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> "Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".

August 31, 2005 11:04:00 PM

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in

> Have you tried to get the latest MB drivers for your MB from Asus?
> Just a thought and may not even pertain to your problem.
----------------------------------

And a thought I appreciate, Buffalo ...

Yep, this board has all the upgrades and Bios Asus made for it.

Thanks for your time and effort, though.

Take care ...

--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com

> Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder about those Maxtor drives. Your
> theory is worthy of investigation.
>
> FWIW, I have to again insist that over-installs aren't that wise
> except to get into a broken system in preparation for a
> reformat/reinstall (to back up files, etc.) Especially these days,
> any Win9x system that has been updated will have tons of system
> files that overinstall will replace--sometime backing them up to
> VCM but just as often not. This results in DLL Hell and even
> broken apps like DirectX. If you're going to overinstall in an
> attempt to rebuild the Hardware Profile, you'd do much better to
> simply delete the HKLM\ENUM key and reboot. If it's for any other
> purpose, then you'll save lots of time and heartache if you
> reformat/reinstall instead. I understand the idea behind
> over-installs, and I used to do quite a few of them myself. But
> time and comparison has taught me that it's just not an efficient
> way to go about restoring a system to optimum health.
-----------------------------
I agree, Gary with almost everything you've said here.

I do not and never have touted an Over Top re-install as the "end all-
be all" for Win9x problems. But, as in the cases you imply, it can get
one back running so that proper maintenace CAN be performed.

Let me point out that this discovery came as a result of documenting
information contrary to MS's posture that IE could not be removed from
Windows .. this was during the long ago court battles. Many of us knew
that was incorrect, but had little data to back up our opinion. It was
during that collection/sifting sequence that the "Over Top" install
became apparent. Many who do this now were in kindergarten then ... :)
Today, it's of little importance and rarely done (another good thing).

The trick most people miss is to reinstall to the original directory
and not the new one Windows suggests. That only makes a duplicate and
does not accomplish the objective. There are a couple other
"prereinstall" tricks, but that not what this is about now.

I won't go into the gory details, but I was the Navy Program Rep to IBM
Development in the late 70s ... My opinions came from and are still
supported by what I saw and experienced then.

I've not seen the list of problems you quote .. not the first one ...
but then, my systems are generally pretty clean to begin with and I've
done more "Over Top" installs (system migration) than re-installs.

I'll share something here (and I doubt very many at all are reading
this other than you) ... the 9x system I'm currently on started life as
95 and has never been freshly reloaded/installed .. it's all the result
of "Over Top" installs through 95-OSR2, 98 and now 98SE.

That's four Win versions, several hard drives and many, many
installed/uninstalled programs (currently 57 programs in Program Files
and several hardware peripherals).

Even though it sets open with the drives lying exposed outside the case
and serves as a test bed, the system is super stable (never ONE blue
screen nor hang), my registry is well within size limits for quick

I have FOUR *.dll files in storage that didn't apply anywhere and they
date back over a year. No extras currently in the system.

In fact, though this current condition concerns me, it really has not
affected system performance much at all. I has me really curious,
however.

In case you are curious .. yes, I perform system maintenance regularly
and am very comfortable rooting around in the registry.

But ... I do NOT recommend a reinstall very often and reseerve it as a
last ditch effort to get back into a system for proper maintenance or
troubleshooting.

lolol, Gary .. too many words on an essentially dead subject :)  Sorry.

-------------------------------

Back to the main issue, what we've succeeded in doing is removing all
drive recognition, even in Safe Mode.

I removed every drive controller reference, but was unable to remove
the Primary and Secondary FIFO controllers (strange). They didn't go
away when I removed the master reference controller. That's when I
decided to get into the registry and remove the core reference.

On reboot, 98 found and reinstalled all the necessary drivers (that's
was good to see), but still displayed the warning flag at the Primary
FIFO controller and did not display any IDE drives in DM.

That was not good to see.

A reboot into Safe Mode only revealed that all IDE drive references
were now gone there as well.

The good news is that everything still works and works pretty well.
My Bios sees the drive and when I Benchmarked drive transfer rate, I
found it down only a very small fraction. It's well within acceptable
limits.

Even more strangely, I added (curiosity and what did I have to lose?)
the second drive which, partitioned, became D & F. The secondary FIFO
controller has no flags, is reported as working fine and the drive
works fine. I just don't see it in DM under Disk Drives.

Go figure ...

I can't do anything more until I hear from Maxtor or determine, by some
other means, how this LBA is configured. Somehow I suspect the problem
is tied into, if not directly related to this drive's physical
structure.

I'll post any results from them I find ...

Take care, Gary and thanks for your help ...

--
PoGo
www.pogo123.com
"Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:07:10 PM

I guess might as well show us what it looks like at...

"START, Run, MSInfo32, Components, Storage". Use the Edit menu to copy &
post it. Post "Problem Devices" too, if any show up there.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
|
| Even more strangely, I added (curiosity and what did I have to lose?)
| the second drive which, partitioned, became D & F. The secondary FIFO
| controller has no flags, is reported as working fine and the drive
| works fine. I just don't see it in DM under Disk Drives.
|
| Go figure ...
|
| I can't do anything more until I hear from Maxtor or determine, by
some
| other means, how this LBA is configured. Somehow I suspect the problem
| is tied into, if not directly related to this drive's physical
| structure.
|

| I'll post any results from them I find ...
|
| Take care, Gary and thanks for your help ...
|
| --
| PoGo
| www.pogo123.com
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| "Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".

September 1, 2005 11:02:11 PM

Ach! Never mind! I see you posted elsewhere it is fixed. Glad to hear
it. Very glad!

--
| I guess might as well show us what it looks like at...
|
| "START, Run, MSInfo32, Components, Storage". Use the Edit menu to copy
&
| post it. Post "Problem Devices" too, if any show up there.
....snip
September 2, 2005 4:02:29 AM

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in

> Ach! Never mind! I see you posted elsewhere it is fixed. Glad to hear
> it. Very glad!

lolololol ... sure thing, PCR ... I was about to post the MsInfo32 scan
I did when it was broke when I decided to read your later post before
doing so :)

But, yes ,,, though my old brain isn't as facile at recalling where it
stored an item, I just "knew" that I had seen something .. way back
that was (or could be) relative. Once I remembered it, Duck Soup!!

Good to see you as well, by the way. Exchanging posts with the likes of
you, Gary Terhune and Ron Badour surely does bring back memories :)  ..

Take care, do good and have fun ...

- -
PoGo
www.pogo123.com
"Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig".
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:02:30 AM

Uhuh, good to see you again & that you can jump as high as ever on your
stick, the way you finally remembered that thing. OK, then.

--

!