editing boot.ini

this is my boot.ini for a dualboot system.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

i want to edit it so that it defaults to c:\="Microsoft Windows" ( Win98 SE)
and not "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". Reason: i have removed the disk
with Xp on it.

is it safe to do it and how do i go about doing it.

better still can i bypass the option and boot straight into Win98.

thanx.
øivind reinemo

"Øivind Reinemo" <oeivinr@online.no> wrote in message
> this is my boot.ini for a dualboot system.
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> C:\="Microsoft Windows"
>
> i want to edit it so that it defaults to c:\="Microsoft Windows" ( Win98
SE)
> and not "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". Reason: i have removed the
disk
> with Xp on it.
>
> is it safe to do it and how do i go about doing it.
>
> better still can i bypass the option and boot straight into Win98.

If you want to boot only Win98 (i.e. use no NTFS drives)
you do not need dualboot arrangements. Just reinstal
Win98 to your C:\ drive.

You could just remove (by renaming) DUALBOOT.*
in case the PC as presently configured has Win98
on drive C:
If you are unsure about this it takes only a minute to
try in case it succeeds.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Select your setup here for info on how to remove XP from a dual boot or how to
remove 1st or second hard disk:
http://thpc.info/dual/removedualboot.html

If you do not plan on removing it, edit the line:
to read: default=C:\
You can also change the timeout (seconds to select before booting to default)
to a lower number.

Read all carefully and make sure you backup, backup, backup before attempting
any changes.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/