NEWBIE needing hard drive help

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Hi Im a newbie and getting ready to build my first gaming system I already have a hp pavilion a1330n and im wanting to use the hard drive out of that pc for this new build and im wondering how or even if i can do that

Please help

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
The motherboard im going to use is a ABIT AT8 32X Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard if that helps

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
From what I was able to find out, it seems that the system is a more recent one, and has a fair size HDD. I say you should go ahead and use it in the new build.

The HDD will be supported by new MB's.

If you do a full install of windows (most likely scenario) you will need at least Win XP SP2 for it to recognize the full amount of space if the drive is over 137Gb though.

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
So will i have to buy a new operating system or will i be able to plug in the the hard drive and it work automaticaly

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
In my personal experience Windows doesn't like being dumped into a new computer. All sorts of problems. I find it best to reinstall the OS completely.

I don't completely know what you're asking about buying a new OS. If you have a valid purchased XP key I think you should be able to get an install CD with XP sp2 on it without too much trouble.

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
The operating system that came with the pc has media center on it and its worthless to me so i was going to get the 64 bit os

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
To be honest with you, I've tried XP 64 on 3 different occasions and each instance has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely didn't impress me much. Maybe it was my motherboard, I have a rather old one, but performance was dismal to put it mildly.

Anyhow, you can get a free trial of XP 64 from Microsoft. No charge for download, and only shipping and handling if you order it on CD. I'd suggest giving it a try first before buying XP 64.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
1) Generally speaking, if the low-level devices (chipsets, bus driving logic, etc.) are fairly different, Windows will halt on boot if you just transplant the hard disk. This has been my own experience at least.

2) I agree with KS on this one, if you have no good reason to use 64 (e.g. you do rendering/arithmatic simulations/video editing/some other application where a single process can and will use >2 gigs of memory) don't. I do simulations and as such have to suffer from some missing drivers (VIVO for 7800GT) and missing low-level apps (64-bit native Flash, 64-bit native Java plugin, 64-bit native video codecs, etc.) Yes, you can use 32 bit apps. Why do this if you will see no benefit?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
so i just need to reinstal the os after i put the hard drive in the pc then everything should work ?
Yeah, I didn't really answer your question now did I?
I would say simply back up important data that you'd be devistated if you lost it, then simply try plugging it in.
If it fails to boot, then you have to do at least a "recovery" install, however I'd suggest a clean wipe and reinstall if it came that far. Hope this helps.

arnold_layne

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Recommend backing up user files onto CD or DVD first, on existing machine.

Build the new computer, set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first, then have new WinXP disc in the CD, and use it to format the disk and load OS.

Everyone should have their own WinXP disc, not just the 'restore' discs that full- up computers usually ship with.

peace. 8)