unable to delete file

I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
12 answers Last reply
More about unable delete file

    Irfanview is a picture viewer--have you tried uninstalling the program from
    the Control Panel, add remove programs?

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
    > using
    > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
    > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
    > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    > I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
    using
    > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
    > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
    > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    I can't say for sure, but it might be a virus or malware. Try a AV scan and
    AS.

    Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
    to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
    using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?

    If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
    also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
    you use for backups?

    You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
    the choice given in the shutdown menu.
    Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
    logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
    menu.
    Select DOS Command Prompt.
    At the prompt type and press Enter:
    scanreg /restore *Note the space before /

    Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
    When finished reboot.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
    > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
    > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
    > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    Delete or uninstall?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Charlie wrote:
    > I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
    > using the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's
    > associated plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup
    > from a time when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
    downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
    downloaded file not the program itself.

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
    > to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
    > using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?
    >
    > If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
    > also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
    > you use for backups?
    >
    > You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
    > the choice given in the shutdown menu.
    > Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
    > logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
    > menu.
    > Select DOS Command Prompt.
    > At the prompt type and press Enter:
    > scanreg /restore *Note the space before /
    >
    > Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
    > When finished reboot.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >
    > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
    > > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
    > > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
    > > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    Can you delete the file in DOS (pure DOS, not a DOS window within Win98)?
    What is the path to the file (what folder is it in)?
    What else is in that folder?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
    > downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
    > downloaded file not the program itself.
    >
    > "Brian A." wrote:

    What is the name of the file? Is it similar to iview391.exe, iview397.exe
    or more like i_view32.exe ?
    If it is the former, then it should be very deletable. If it is the later, it
    may not be, esp if Irfanview is showing up in the Close Program box (ie:
    ctrl-alt-del )

    There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
    them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I call
    My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The files
    are
    irfanview_plugins_392.exe
    iview395.exe
    I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to delete
    using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone could
    walk me through that?

    "Charlie" wrote:

    > Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
    > downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
    > downloaded file not the program itself.
    >
    > "Brian A." wrote:
    >
    > > Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
    > > to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
    > > using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?
    > >
    > > If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
    > > also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
    > > you use for backups?
    > >
    > > You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
    > > the choice given in the shutdown menu.
    > > Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
    > > logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
    > > menu.
    > > Select DOS Command Prompt.
    > > At the prompt type and press Enter:
    > > scanreg /restore *Note the space before /
    > >
    > > Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
    > > When finished reboot.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    > >
    > > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    > >

    > > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
    > > > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
    > > > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
    > > > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
    > > > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

    Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS Mode. Once you get into DOS, run the
    following commands. Pay attention to spaces and punctuation that I use
    below. (If you open a reply to this, you can use your cursor to be sure of
    where spaces are.) Each line is a single command, to be followed by <enter>.
    I don't know the real path to your My Downloads folder for sure, so I'll
    assume it's C:\My Downloads. You will need to change that if it's not right.

    cd \
    cd "My Downloads"

    If the above doesn't change the prompt to C:\My Downloads> or C:\MYDOWN~1
    (the DOS 8.3 format for that directory name), if the prompt remains C:\> or
    you get an error message, then run the following:

    cd mydown~1

    Then, to make sure you're where you need to be;

    dir

    That should show you the contents of the folder. If you don't see the files
    you want to delete, run the following:

    attrib -r -s -h *.*
    dir

    If the files still don't show in the list, see my discussion a bit farther
    down, specifically the DELTREE suggestion. If they *do* get listed, run the
    following for each file you want to delete, replacing "filename.ext" with
    the real filename. Note that if any of the filenames does not conform to DOS
    8.3 naming format, you'll see the first six letters of the filename (sans
    spaces) followed by ~1 or ~2, then the extension. Use that for
    "filename.ext" instead.

    del filename.ext
    (repeat as needed)

    Now, some observations. My Downloads is a folder that's usually put into the
    system by some app, I forget the name--probably more than one app does this,
    in fact. If you chose that name, yourself, then you want to change it to
    plain old Downloads. I, for one, avoid naming any folders "My....." because
    that format is used by so many apps and you never know for sure what weird
    things they did to the properties of the folder. For your normal downloads,
    make a new folder and call it "Downloads". If you know what app created that
    folder, probably some kind of download manager, ala GetRight, I'd go into
    that app and change the default download folder to something else (even a
    new folder.) Regardless, at this point, I'd want to get rid of that folder
    altogether, even if it's to later recreate it. So, *if* the folder only
    contains files that you want to delete, instead of the above procedures, do
    the following (get back into DOS Mode, first.)

    deltree c:\mydown~1

    Last, but not least, weird behavior like this *always* suggests the possible
    presence of malware--virus, spyware, etc. I'd recommend a full set of scans.
    See my article at http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm for my
    suggestions.

    Have fun, and good luck!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
    > them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I
    > call
    > My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The
    > files
    > are
    > irfanview_plugins_392.exe
    > iview395.exe
    > I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to
    > delete
    > using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone
    > could
    > walk me through that?
    >
    > "Charlie" wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
    >> downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
    >> downloaded file not the program itself.

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
    > them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I call
    > My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The files
    > are
    > irfanview_plugins_392.exe
    > iview395.exe
    > I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to delete
    > using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone could
    > walk me through that?
    >
    > "Charlie" wrote:

    See if you can move (cut and paste) those files to another folder (make one
    called test or any name with 8 characters or less in case you have to go to DOS
    to delete it). Does this work? There may be something strange in the folder it
    is in, as Gary mentioned.
    Can you rename them? Can you delete any .exe files? If not, it may be
    another program on you computer preventing that.

    If you go to Start,Run and type in Regedit and press Enter, does the Registry
    Editor appear?
    If not, you probably have a virus.

    I have basically the same two files (different version numbers: 397 instead of
    392) and I can delete them in Explorer with no problem,
    If you can move them to another folder, you could possibly just delete that
    whole (new) folder while in Explorer.
    PS: Following Gary's advice while in DOS, if you have more than one file in
    there called irfanview*****.*** with more than 8 characters before the
    extension, be sure you have the right one before deleting.
    Ex: you have three files:
    irfanview_plugins_392.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~1.exe
    Irfanviled.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~2.exe
    Irfanvduffy.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~3.exe
    So, if you aren't sure which is which, you may delete the wrong one.
    (you could check their file size to help figure that out)

    I don't think OP cares about any of those IrfanView files and would just as
    soon delete them all. But you make a good general point, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > PS: Following Gary's advice while in DOS, if you have more than one file
    > in
    > there called irfanview*****.*** with more than 8 characters before the
    > extension, be sure you have the right one before deleting.
    > Ex: you have three files:
    > irfanview_plugins_392.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~1.exe
    > Irfanviled.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~2.exe
    > Irfanvduffy.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~3.exe
    > So, if you aren't sure which is which, you may delete the wrong one.
    > (you could check their file size to help figure that out)

    Prior to my reformating and installing my backup, I purchased Registry First
    Aid and ran it. At that time it did not fix the problem of not being able to
    delete the two files mentioned. Prior to reading the 9-1 posts here, I ran
    Registry First Aid for the first time since the re-install. There were over
    1,000 listed items to fix. After fixing these items and reading the 9-1
    posts, I decided to try once more before trying the delete in DOS. I
    right-clicked on the file and immediately a drop-down box appeared, I
    selected delete and the file was gone. Apparently I had a registry problem
    that prevented me from deleting those two files. I was able to delete other
    files, but not the Irfanview ones.
    I am not sure, but I think I inflicted my own problems when I ran Registry
    Checker and possilbly did something I should not have. Thanks to each one
    who responded to my problem.
    Charlie Zuck

Windows Explorer Computers Windows