Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

unable to delete file

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 31, 2005 4:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

More about : unable delete file

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 6:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Irfanview is a picture viewer--have you tried uninstalling the program from
the Control Panel, add remove programs?

--
Regards


Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo



"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A3F92B8C-94F1-4D97-816B-B9C54F7604A6@microsoft.com...
>I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
> using
> the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:12:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
using
> the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?

I can't say for sure, but it might be a virus or malware. Try a AV scan and
AS.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:28:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?

If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
you use for backups?

You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
the choice given in the shutdown menu.
Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
menu.
Select DOS Command Prompt.
At the prompt type and press Enter:
scanreg /restore *Note the space before /

Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
When finished reboot.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375




"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A3F92B8C-94F1-4D97-816B-B9C54F7604A6@microsoft.com...
>I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
> the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:33:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Delete or uninstall?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Charlie wrote:
> I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
> using the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's
> associated plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup
> from a time when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
August 31, 2005 9:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
downloaded file not the program itself.

"Brian A." wrote:

> Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
> to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
> using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?
>
> If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
> also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
> you use for backups?
>
> You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
> the choice given in the shutdown menu.
> Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
> logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
> menu.
> Select DOS Command Prompt.
> At the prompt type and press Enter:
> scanreg /restore *Note the space before /
>
> Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
> When finished reboot.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
>
>
>
> "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A3F92B8C-94F1-4D97-816B-B9C54F7604A6@microsoft.com...
> >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
> > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 9:11:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Can you delete the file in DOS (pure DOS, not a DOS window within Win98)?
What is the path to the file (what folder is it in)?
What else is in that folder?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A3F92B8C-94F1-4D97-816B-B9C54F7604A6@microsoft.com...
>I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue
> using
> the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:18:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B76CA6F6-C519-434E-8338-9CDC573162CF@microsoft.com...
> Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
> downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
> downloaded file not the program itself.
>
> "Brian A." wrote:

What is the name of the file? Is it similar to iview391.exe, iview397.exe
or more like i_view32.exe ?
If it is the former, then it should be very deletable. If it is the later, it
may not be, esp if Irfanview is showing up in the Close Program box (ie:
ctrl-alt-del )
September 1, 2005 1:06:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I call
My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The files
are
irfanview_plugins_392.exe
iview395.exe
I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to delete
using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone could
walk me through that?

"Charlie" wrote:

> Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
> downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
> downloaded file not the program itself.
>
> "Brian A." wrote:
>
> > Deleting application folders/files not left over by an uninstall is a sure way
> > to problems. Have you tried reinstalling Irfanview and then uninstalling it
> > using it's own uninstaller or via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?
> >
> > If you used a backup app instead of an imaging app for your system, it may
> > also be that the registry isn't complete and/or corrupted. What application do
> > you use for backups?
> >
> > You could try a registry restore although it may not help. Reboot to DOS, not
> > the choice given in the shutdown menu.
> > Reboot the machine and as soon as you see the POST screen or the manufacturers
> > logo, press/hold the CTRL key or continually tap F8 until you get the startup
> > menu.
> > Select DOS Command Prompt.
> > At the prompt type and press Enter:
> > scanreg /restore *Note the space before /
> >
> > Select a date prior to newest reg backup to restore.
> > When finished reboot.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >
> > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:A3F92B8C-94F1-4D97-816B-B9C54F7604A6@microsoft.com...
> > >I am unable to delete an exe file in windows explorer. When I try the
> > > computer freezes and I need to use ctrl alt del, or reboot to continue using
> > > the computer. The file I cannot delete is irfanview and it's associated
> > > plug-ins. I reformated the hard drive and installed my backup from a time
> > > when I don't believe I had the problem. Any suggestions?
> >
> >
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:36:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS Mode. Once you get into DOS, run the
following commands. Pay attention to spaces and punctuation that I use
below. (If you open a reply to this, you can use your cursor to be sure of
where spaces are.) Each line is a single command, to be followed by <enter>.
I don't know the real path to your My Downloads folder for sure, so I'll
assume it's C:\My Downloads. You will need to change that if it's not right.

cd \
cd "My Downloads"

If the above doesn't change the prompt to C:\My Downloads> or C:\MYDOWN~1
(the DOS 8.3 format for that directory name), if the prompt remains C:\> or
you get an error message, then run the following:

cd mydown~1

Then, to make sure you're where you need to be;

dir

That should show you the contents of the folder. If you don't see the files
you want to delete, run the following:

attrib -r -s -h *.*
dir

If the files still don't show in the list, see my discussion a bit farther
down, specifically the DELTREE suggestion. If they *do* get listed, run the
following for each file you want to delete, replacing "filename.ext" with
the real filename. Note that if any of the filenames does not conform to DOS
8.3 naming format, you'll see the first six letters of the filename (sans
spaces) followed by ~1 or ~2, then the extension. Use that for
"filename.ext" instead.

del filename.ext
(repeat as needed)

Now, some observations. My Downloads is a folder that's usually put into the
system by some app, I forget the name--probably more than one app does this,
in fact. If you chose that name, yourself, then you want to change it to
plain old Downloads. I, for one, avoid naming any folders "My....." because
that format is used by so many apps and you never know for sure what weird
things they did to the properties of the folder. For your normal downloads,
make a new folder and call it "Downloads". If you know what app created that
folder, probably some kind of download manager, ala GetRight, I'd go into
that app and change the default download folder to something else (even a
new folder.) Regardless, at this point, I'd want to get rid of that folder
altogether, even if it's to later recreate it. So, *if* the folder only
contains files that you want to delete, instead of the above procedures, do
the following (get back into DOS Mode, first.)

deltree c:\mydown~1

Last, but not least, weird behavior like this *always* suggests the possible
presence of malware--virus, spyware, etc. I'd recommend a full set of scans.
See my article at http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm for my
suggestions.

Have fun, and good luck!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User


"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C1CD323-3637-4173-A396-B50B49DC5EE3@microsoft.com...
> There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
> them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I
> call
> My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The
> files
> are
> irfanview_plugins_392.exe
> iview395.exe
> I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to
> delete
> using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone
> could
> walk me through that?
>
> "Charlie" wrote:
>
>> Apparently I was not very clear. The exe file is the file I originally
>> downloaded and installed. Irfanview runs fine, I want to remove the exe
>> downloaded file not the program itself.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C1CD323-3637-4173-A396-B50B49DC5EE3@microsoft.com...
> There are actuall two files that lock up the computer when I try to delete
> them. They are both downloaded exe software. I have them in a folder I call
> My Downloads in case I need to delete the program and re-install. The files
> are
> irfanview_plugins_392.exe
> iview395.exe
> I appreciate all the help that has been posted. I have not tried to delete
> using DOS because I am not sure I know how to do that. Maybe someone could
> walk me through that?
>
> "Charlie" wrote:

See if you can move (cut and paste) those files to another folder (make one
called test or any name with 8 characters or less in case you have to go to DOS
to delete it). Does this work? There may be something strange in the folder it
is in, as Gary mentioned.
Can you rename them? Can you delete any .exe files? If not, it may be
another program on you computer preventing that.

If you go to Start,Run and type in Regedit and press Enter, does the Registry
Editor appear?
If not, you probably have a virus.

I have basically the same two files (different version numbers: 397 instead of
392) and I can delete them in Explorer with no problem,
If you can move them to another folder, you could possibly just delete that
whole (new) folder while in Explorer.
PS: Following Gary's advice while in DOS, if you have more than one file in
there called irfanview*****.*** with more than 8 characters before the
extension, be sure you have the right one before deleting.
Ex: you have three files:
irfanview_plugins_392.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~1.exe
Irfanviled.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~2.exe
Irfanvduffy.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~3.exe
So, if you aren't sure which is which, you may delete the wrong one.
(you could check their file size to help figure that out)
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:27:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I don't think OP cares about any of those IrfanView files and would just as
soon delete them all. But you make a good general point, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:IdOdnfv28MuTq4reRVn-og@comcast.com...
> PS: Following Gary's advice while in DOS, if you have more than one file
> in
> there called irfanview*****.*** with more than 8 characters before the
> extension, be sure you have the right one before deleting.
> Ex: you have three files:
> irfanview_plugins_392.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~1.exe
> Irfanviled.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~2.exe
> Irfanvduffy.exe may appear in DOS as irfanv~3.exe
> So, if you aren't sure which is which, you may delete the wrong one.
> (you could check their file size to help figure that out)
>
>
September 2, 2005 10:33:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Prior to my reformating and installing my backup, I purchased Registry First
Aid and ran it. At that time it did not fix the problem of not being able to
delete the two files mentioned. Prior to reading the 9-1 posts here, I ran
Registry First Aid for the first time since the re-install. There were over
1,000 listed items to fix. After fixing these items and reading the 9-1
posts, I decided to try once more before trying the delete in DOS. I
right-clicked on the file and immediately a drop-down box appeared, I
selected delete and the file was gone. Apparently I had a registry problem
that prevented me from deleting those two files. I was able to delete other
files, but not the Irfanview ones.
I am not sure, but I think I inflicted my own problems when I ran Registry
Checker and possilbly did something I should not have. Thanks to each one
who responded to my problem.
Charlie Zuck
!