Can't save files to one partition in particular.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 31, 2005 10:04:11 PM

Hi! Unless I am in Native Dos, I can no long save files to one
particular partition within windows 98. I know I can to all 11 of the
other 11. But the computer has frozen on the various occasions I've
tried to save something that was in partiion M.

Maybe what makes this different is that it is FAT32 and the others
are all FAT16. Does this ring a bell?

But I used to be able to use this partition without problems, until a
week ago. AVG Free upgraded several files about then, though in a
different partition.

None of the files are system, hidden, or read-only.

No trouble reading the files.

Is there a place where a whole partition could be made read-only?

How could one partition be affected differently, all of a sudden?
Windows freezes entirely when I try to update or save a file, and then
even cntl-alt-delete won't work. Only the reset or power button gets
me out.

Win98FE, FirstEdition. I've tried to use PC-Write, DOS Edit, Note-pad
Plus, and Wordpad. All of them freeze windows when I try to save a
changed file. Also, the one program that I use in that partition, ver
6.2.2.3 of Eudora, freezes when it does things that involve saving a
file.

EXCEPT in Native DOS, I can use PC-Write and maybe DOS Edit to make
and save changes to files in this partition.

I've done full scans with NAV, AVG, Spybot S&D, and Adaware 6. There
were no viruses, but there was some offending ad and spyware, most but
not all of it was cookies, but I removed it all. Didn't help.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

More about : save files partition

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:30:06 PM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:04:11
-0400 meirman <meirman@invalid.com> posted:

>Hi! Unless I am in Native Dos, I can no long save files to one
>particular partition within windows 98. I know I can to all 11 of the
>other 11. But the computer has frozen on the various occasions I've
>tried to save something that was in partiion M.

This time I was able to save a 42 byte file to partition M and switch
to winfile to delete it. The computer didn't freeze until after I had
clicked on the confirm Delete screen. Not certain if it was deleting
it or saving it that caused the freeze.

>Maybe what makes this different is that it is FAT32 and the others
>are all FAT16. Does this ring a bell?
>
>But I used to be able to use this partition without problems, until a
>week ago. AVG Free upgraded several files about then, though in a
>different partition.
>
>None of the files are system, hidden, or read-only.
>
>No trouble reading the files.
>
>Is there a place where a whole partition could be made read-only?
>

>How could one partition be affected differently, all of a sudden?
>Windows freezes entirely when I try to update or save a file, and then
>even cntl-alt-delete won't work. Only the reset or power button gets
>me out.
>

>Win98FE, FirstEdition. I've tried to use PC-Write, DOS Edit, Note-pad
>Plus, and Wordpad. All of them freeze windows when I try to save a
>changed file. Also, the one program that I use in that partition, ver
>6.2.2.3 of Eudora, freezes when it does things that involve saving a
>file.
>
>EXCEPT in Native DOS, I can use PC-Write and maybe DOS Edit to make
>and save changes to files in this partition.
>
>I've done full scans with NAV, AVG, Spybot S&D, and Adaware 6. There
>were no viruses, but there was some offending ad and spyware, most but
>not all of it was cookies, but I removed it all. Didn't help.
>

>Meirman

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
September 1, 2005 12:07:28 AM

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:9nbch1pgai46otqn2s998jik3kckq86618@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:04:11
> -0400 meirman <meirman@invalid.com> posted:
>
>>Hi! Unless I am in Native Dos, I can no long save files to one
>>particular partition within windows 98. I know I can to all 11 of the
>>other 11. But the computer has frozen on the various occasions I've
>>tried to save something that was in partiion M.
>
> This time I was able to save a 42 byte file to partition M and switch
> to winfile to delete it. The computer didn't freeze until after I had
> clicked on the confirm Delete screen. Not certain if it was deleting
> it or saving it that caused the freeze.

Have you checked the "free space" of the volume? How big is the volume?
Is it a logical within an extended partition? Do you have any non-MS
types in the extended, if so?

>>Maybe what makes this different is that it is FAT32 and the others
>>are all FAT16. Does this ring a bell?

That shouldn't matter.
September 1, 2005 2:21:48 AM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:07:28
-0400 "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> posted:

>"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:9nbch1pgai46otqn2s998jik3kckq86618@4ax.com...
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:04:11
>> -0400 meirman <meirman@invalid.com> posted:
>>
>>>Hi! Unless I am in Native Dos, I can no long save files to one
>>>particular partition within windows 98. I know I can to all 11 of the
>>>other 11. But the computer has frozen on the various occasions I've
>>>tried to save something that was in partiion M.
>>
>> This time I was able to save a 42 byte file to partition M and switch
>> to winfile to delete it. The computer didn't freeze until after I had
>> clicked on the confirm Delete screen. Not certain if it was deleting
>> it or saving it that caused the freeze.
>
>Have you checked the "free space" of the volume? How big is the volume?
>Is it a logical within an extended partition? Do you have any non-MS
>types in the extended, if so?

Yes, I have plenty extra space. Yes, logical. I'm sure I don't have
them but what are non-MS types?

See next part for the progress I am making.

>>>Maybe what makes this different is that it is FAT32 and the others
>>>are all FAT16. Does this ring a bell?
>
>That shouldn't matter.

You're right. I found a bad file in it. I'm working now on replacing
it with a backup.

Thanks a lot for writing.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
September 1, 2005 12:11:38 PM

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:58pch1d346dlqphen27f9g0bvu8g8cp1us@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:07:28
> -0400 "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> posted:
>
>>"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:9nbch1pgai46otqn2s998jik3kckq86618@4ax.com...
>>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:04:11
>>> -0400 meirman <meirman@invalid.com> posted:

>>> This time I was able to save a 42 byte file to partition M and switch
>>> to winfile to delete it. The computer didn't freeze until after I had
>>> clicked on the confirm Delete screen.

>>Have you checked the "free space" of the volume? How big is the volume?
>>Is it a logical within an extended partition? Do you have any non-MS
>>types in the extended, if so?
>
> Yes, I have plenty extra space. Yes, logical. I'm sure I don't have
> them but what are non-MS types?

non-Microsoft. e.g. volumes native to linux. There are reports that some
versions of Windows may have a problem mounting its own volumes, (in certain
situations), if non-ms types are in the logical chain.

> See next part for the progress I am making.

>>That shouldn't matter.
>
> You're right. I found a bad file in it.

You found it, or Scandisk?

> I'm working now on replacing
> it with a backup.

How'd that go? It may be time to download and run the drive manufacturer's
disk tools.

> Thanks a lot for writing.

YW.

Btw. You said you could read the volume fine? I would copy the files off
for safe keeping while you are troubleshooting the problem. Cloning the
whole disk would be even better..
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:26:46 PM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:11:38
-0400 "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> posted:

>"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:58pch1d346dlqphen27f9g0bvu8g8cp1us@4ax.com...
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:07:28
>> -0400 "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> posted:

>>>Have you checked the "free space" of the volume? How big is the volume?
>>>Is it a logical within an extended partition? Do you have any non-MS
>>>types in the extended, if so?
>>
>> Yes, I have plenty extra space. Yes, logical. I'm sure I don't have
>> them but what are non-MS types?
>
>non-Microsoft. e.g. volumes native to linux. There are reports that some
>versions of Windows may have a problem mounting its own volumes, (in certain
>situations), if non-ms types are in the logical chain.
>

>> See next part for the progress I am making.

>>>That shouldn't matter.
>>
>> You're right. I found a bad file in it.
>
>You found it, or Scandisk?

Me. I loosened the screws and climbed in the drive. Saw this little
insect on one of the plates.

Actually, I used File Manager, winfile.exe, to back up my files, and
it stalled on this file.

>> I'm working now on replacing
>> it with a backup.
>
>How'd that go? It may be time to download and run the drive manufacturer's
>disk tools.

It was in.mbx of Eudora, and recent versions of Eudora keep backups
for the in and outbox. It was easy, except that I wasn't sure until
now exactly what those files were.

Now I have found a bad file in the Norton Protected part of the
Recycled directory. I never understood what the advantage or even the
difference was with Norton Protect, and so far it seems like it is not
as good. With the Recycle Bin, one can open it in directory format
and see all the info about it. But NProtect, the early version I
have, won't even open full screen, and one can only restore them one
file at a time, and if one deletes them, he has to do all partitions
at the same time. With the Recycle Bin, iiuc one can delete any
number at one time, and one can access the files through dos and do
only all or part of those on a given partition.

>> Thanks a lot for writing.
>
>YW.
>
>Btw. You said you could read the volume fine? I would copy the files off
>for safe keeping while you are troubleshooting the problem. Cloning the

That's how I found the first bad file.

Then I did a check only scandisk but it didn't say where the problem
was. So I used Norton Disk Doctor and it displays the directory it is
in. Usually they go by too quickly to read them, but when it froze,
it was in the middle of Recycled.

Didn't say which file in that directory, so I used 4DOS, which is
often better than dos, and while DIR won't show the files, because it
gets all the files and then sorts** them in alphabetical order, ATTRIB
just gives them in order, and stops where there is a problem.
Couldn't delete just that one file, however. It gave a fault. But
when I have faults in Native Dos, they don't usually freeze the
system. (I think Edit did, but most simple dos and 4dos commands
don't.)

**There is a parameter to display the files unsorted, but I forgot to
try that. But what I needed was to delete anyhow. I can do that in
Windows, but appararently only all 8000 files in all my partitions, or
nothing at all.

I had a hard day today, and probably won't do anything more until
tomorrow.

>whole disk would be even better..

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
September 3, 2005 2:02:05 PM

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:kd2fh112ng2v8d8rdivpj1741fl3it1bal@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:11:38
> -0400 "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> posted:

>>> I found a bad file in it.
>>
>>You found it, or Scandisk?

> Actually, I used File Manager, winfile.exe, to back up my files, and
> it stalled on this file.
>>
>>> I'm working now on replacing
>>> it with a backup.
>>
>>How'd that go? It may be time to download and run the drive manufacturer's
>>disk tools.
>
> It was in.mbx of Eudora, and recent versions of Eudora keep backups
> for the in and outbox. It was easy, except that I wasn't sure until
> now exactly what those files were.
>
> Now I have found a bad file in the Norton Protected part of the
> Recycled directory. I never understood what the advantage or even the
> difference was with Norton Protect

I don't use Norton, but as I understnd it, it's protected bin will
catch files that the window's bin would not. Such as files deleted
at a dos prompt, or files deleted using shift-delete from explorer.
I'm not positive, but doesn't the Norton bin also catch files
that are deleted from the window's bin?

There may be an advantage in a couple of scenarios, such as being
too finger-fast on a shift delete, and then realizing that you just
deleted something you didn't really mean to, but personally, I've
found the window's bin to be sufficient. In the years I've been using
Windows, I could probably count on one hand the files I've had
to recover from my own bin.

The disadvantage is the extra layer and complexity the protected bin
creates. (added on top of the recyle bins'). To be able to work, it
must hook the file system at a very low level.

FWIW, IMO, I'd disable it for good.

>>Btw. You said you could read the volume fine? I would copy the files off
>>for safe keeping while you are troubleshooting the problem. Cloning the
>
> That's how I found the first bad file.
>
> Then I did a check only scandisk but it didn't say where the problem
> was. So I used Norton Disk Doctor and it displays the directory it is
> in. Usually they go by too quickly to read them, but when it froze,
> it was in the middle of Recycled.

If there's nothing in the bin you need, you can delete it from DOS
and Windows will recreate it.

Boot to DOS, and at the prompt do (for every fixed disk drive letter
you have)

deltree c:\recycled
deltree d:\recycled
deltree e:\recycled
etc.

Reboot back to Windows and run NDD again.

> Didn't say which file in that directory, so I used 4DOS, which is
> often better than dos, and while DIR won't show the files, because it
> gets all the files and then sorts** them in alphabetical order, ATTRIB
> just gives them in order, and stops where there is a problem.
> Couldn't delete just that one file, however. It gave a fault. But
> when I have faults in Native Dos, they don't usually freeze the
> system. (I think Edit did, but most simple dos and 4dos commands
> don't.)
>
> **There is a parameter to display the files unsorted, but I forgot to
> try that. But what I needed was to delete anyhow. I can do that in
> Windows, but appararently only all 8000 files in all my partitions, or
> nothing at all.

In the end, it may be Norton's hooks that are causing these problems.
I would disable it, at least until you clear this up.
!