windows explorer problem (not urgent)

hello,
win 98 se.
i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
signs)
(sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
thank you...
14 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer problem urgent

    "Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130510

    Not sure you can replace the one you had, not if I understand your
    description, but this comes close. I'm curious: Why would you want Explorer
    to open to C:\Windows, anyway? The Windows folder is not a typical place to
    go to when using Explorer unless you're reconfiguring the system somehow.

    Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and choose New>Shortcut. Paste in the
    following line in its entirety.

    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\windows

    Click OK, then test.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > win 98 se.
    > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > signs)
    > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > thank you...

    Is the Windows folder *not* under C: on your computer? In order for you to see
    Windows expanded, would not C: also have to be expanded? Or, do you mean C: is not
    expanded, but when you manually expand it, Windows is expanded below it? Please
    explain.

    How are you opening Windows Explorer? Are you using a shortcut, and if so, where is
    it? If so, right-click the shortcut and click Properties. On the Shortcut tab,
    what is the complete line in the Target box?

    Did you install IE6 SP1 and then all the critical updates after that, from Windows
    Update?
    Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior* to starting the
    IE6 installer?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > win 98 se.
    > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > signs)
    > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > thank you...

    Believe she means after the IE update:
    C: root folders were not observable with a (+) next to it, and windows and
    all it subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer and
    expanding C:. Which is not right
    Before the IE update:
    C: root folders were observable with (-) next to it, and windows folder and
    all its subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer. Which is
    not right either.
    > Is the Windows folder *not* under C: on your computer? In order for you
    to see
    > Windows expanded, would not C: also have to be expanded? Or, do you mean
    C: is not
    > expanded, but when you manually expand it, Windows is expanded below it?
    Please
    > explain.
    >
    > How are you opening Windows Explorer? Are you using a shortcut, and if
    so, where is
    > it? If so, right-click the shortcut and click Properties. On the
    Shortcut tab,
    > what is the complete line in the Target box?
    >
    > Did you install IE6 SP1 and then all the critical updates after that, from
    Windows
    > Update?
    > Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior* to
    starting the
    > IE6 installer?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > > win 98 se.
    > > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > > signs)
    > > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > > thank you...

    I read it that, pre-update, Explorer opened to C:\Windows, showing contents
    of Windows in right pane. I can't repeat that, not without making C:\Windows
    the root folder in the Folders list (no Desktop, My Documents, My Computer,
    etc., in the left pane.)

    I *can* easily have Explorer open to C:\<root> and still retain the entire
    tree in Folders list.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Believe she means after the IE update:
    > C: root folders were not observable with a (+) next to it, and windows
    > and
    > all it subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer and
    > expanding C:. Which is not right
    > Before the IE update:
    > C: root folders were observable with (-) next to it, and windows folder
    > and
    > all its subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer. Which
    > is
    > not right either.

    hi Glen,
    thanks for answering
    [...below...]

    glee wrote:

    > Is the Windows folder *not* under C: on your computer? In order for you to see
    > Windows expanded, would not C: also have to be expanded? Or, do you mean C: is not
    > expanded, but when you manually expand it, Windows is expanded below it? Please
    > explain.

    i just checked and it has c (with the + sign) and right under (indented) is windows
    (with the minus sign) and all of windows sub folders / files.(and on the right side are
    the contents of the start menu)

    i also checked 'my computer' and windows is under 'c' (i.e. when i double-click c,
    windows is present) where it should be. (if windows hadn't been there very likely i'd
    have a different message subject like 'where is the os...' :-)

    > How are you opening Windows Explorer? Are you using a shortcut, and if so, where is
    > it? If so, right-click the shortcut and click Properties. On the Shortcut tab,
    > what is the complete line in the Target box?

    i don't have a short-cut to windows explorer.
    i am right-clicking the start button (as i always do) (which now i realize is why i had
    the contents of the start menu in the right sided window.)
    however when i access windows explorer from start-> programs, it has on the left: c
    (with the plus sign) (c is high-lighted) and all of c's content is on the right
    side.(none of c's content is expanded on the left -- hopefully this is *clear*)
    (on the 98se pc, when i access the short-cut that Gary S. Terhune had given instructions
    for, c is not expanded on the left... nothing is expanded on the left. but the right
    side has c's contents (c is high-lighted)
    i don't have another win98 pc but the 95bs had similar hierarchies as the 98se pc *HAD*
    on the win95b pcs, when i create a short-cut or start windows explorer from start->
    programs, they have c expanded (subfolders both in the left side under c, and on the
    right side.)

    > Did you install IE6 SP1 and then all the critical updates after that, from Windows
    > Update?
    > Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior* to starting the
    > IE6 installer?

    i did everything right :)
    thank you,
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > > win 98 se.
    > > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > > signs)
    > > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > > thank you...

    hi Gary,
    thanks for replying...

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > "Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130510
    >
    > Not sure you can replace the one you had, not if I understand your
    > description, but this comes close. I'm curious: Why would you want Explorer
    > to open to C:\Windows, anyway? The Windows folder is not a typical place to
    > go to when using Explorer unless you're reconfiguring the system somehow.

    i don't have a choice: the contents of the start menu appear in the right
    window when i start windows explorer via right clicking the start button
    (that's how i've always started windows explorer)
    not sure why i do not have c expanded anymore when i right click the start
    button (just windows)

    > Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and choose New>Shortcut. Paste in the
    > following line in its entirety.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\windows
    >
    > Click OK, then test.

    that works... from the short cut but does not have c with its sub folders under
    it (on the left) on the left it has the hierarchy of the floppy drive, cd-rom
    drive, zip drive... etc. all with the plus signs)
    the right side has all of c's sub folders.
    also thanks for posting the 'Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer'
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > > win 98 se.
    > > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > > signs)
    > > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > > thank you...

    hi and thanks...
    what you write is exactly what occurred... (starting windows explorer via
    right-clicking the start button...)
    and i do not know why c stopped being expanded following the i.e. 6 <unEventful>
    instal
    thanks
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > Believe she means after the IE update:
    > C: root folders were not observable with a (+) next to it, and windows and
    > all it subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer and
    > expanding C:. Which is not right
    > Before the IE update:
    > C: root folders were observable with (-) next to it, and windows folder and
    > all its subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer. Which is
    > not right either.
    > > Is the Windows folder *not* under C: on your computer? In order for you
    > to see
    > > Windows expanded, would not C: also have to be expanded? Or, do you mean
    > C: is not
    > > expanded, but when you manually expand it, Windows is expanded below it?
    > Please
    > > explain.
    > >
    > > How are you opening Windows Explorer? Are you using a shortcut, and if
    > so, where is
    > > it? If so, right-click the shortcut and click Properties. On the
    > Shortcut tab,
    > > what is the complete line in the Target box?
    > >
    > > Did you install IE6 SP1 and then all the critical updates after that, from
    > Windows
    > > Update?
    > > Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior* to
    > starting the
    > > IE6 installer?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > hello,
    > > > win 98 se.
    > > > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not have
    > > > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    > > > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    > > > signs)
    > > > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)
    > > > thank you...

    hi and thanks again for posting this...
    no it did not show c's contents on the right side i had to click (highLight) c
    before c's sub directories appeared on the right.
    c's sub directories were expanded on the left.(as was windows sub directories /
    files)
    on the right were the contents of the start menu (this is the same as on my
    win95b pcs..)
    i'm just wondering why the hierarchy that i had pre i.e. 6 changed?
    thanks
    sincerely
    Tanya

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > I read it that, pre-update, Explorer opened to C:\Windows, showing contents
    > of Windows in right pane. I can't repeat that, not without making C:\Windows
    > the root folder in the Folders list (no Desktop, My Documents, My Computer,
    > etc., in the left pane.)
    >
    > I *can* easily have Explorer open to C:\<root> and still retain the entire
    > tree in Folders list.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > Believe she means after the IE update:
    > > C: root folders were not observable with a (+) next to it, and windows
    > > and
    > > all it subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer and
    > > expanding C:. Which is not right
    > > Before the IE update:
    > > C: root folders were observable with (-) next to it, and windows folder
    > > and
    > > all its subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer. Which
    > > is
    > > not right either.

    OK, I missed the bit about how you're starting Explorer.

    --

    > hi and thanks again for posting this...
    > no it did not show c's contents on the right side i had to click
    > (highLight) c
    > before c's sub directories appeared on the right.
    > c's sub directories were expanded on the left.(as was windows sub
    > directories /
    > files)
    > on the right were the contents of the start menu (this is the same as on
    > my
    > win95b pcs..)
    > i'm just wondering why the hierarchy that i had pre i.e. 6 changed?
    > thanks
    > sincerely
    > Tanya
    >

    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> I read it that, pre-update, Explorer opened to C:\Windows, showing
    >> contents
    >> of Windows in right pane. I can't repeat that, not without making
    >> C:\Windows
    >> the root folder in the Folders list (no Desktop, My Documents, My
    >> Computer,
    >> etc., in the left pane.)
    >>
    >> I *can* easily have Explorer open to C:\<root> and still retain the
    >> entire
    >> tree in Folders list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >> > Believe she means after the IE update:
    >> > C: root folders were not observable with a (+) next to it, and windows
    >> > and
    >> > all it subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer and
    >> > expanding C:. Which is not right
    >> > Before the IE update:
    >> > C: root folders were observable with (-) next to it, and windows folder
    >> > and
    >> > all its subfolders were observable upon opening windows explorer.
    >> > Which
    >> > is
    >> > not right either.

    What you describe is unnatural. If Windows shows, then ALL of C:'s
    folders should show in the left pane, & C: should have a minus sign. I
    guess the easiest try would be...

    "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool".

    If that fails, I guess, just to shake things up...

    (1) Undo Active Desktop.

    (a) R-Clk the Desktop, point to Active Desktop, & select Customize my
    Desktop.
    (b) Uncheck "View my Active Desktop as a WEB page" & Apply.

    Is there anything in the box under that item? Those are WEB sites that
    would appear on the Desktop. Delete them.

    (c) At the Effects tab, uncheck "Hide icons when the Desktop is viewed
    as a WEB page" & OK.
    (d) R-Clk the Desktop, & uncheck "View as WEB page".

    (2) "START, Settings, Folder Options, General tab". Set to "Classic
    style". If all gets better, click "Custom...", & gingerly go back to how
    you like it. But stay away from "Enable all Web related content...".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | > Update?
    | > Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior*
    to starting the
    | > IE6 installer?
    |
    | i did everything right :)
    | thank you,
    | sincerely
    | Tanya
    |
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >
    | > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    | > > hello,
    | > > win 98 se.
    | > > i installed i.e. 6 and following this, windows explorer does not
    have
    | > > 'c' expanded. windows is expanded though.
    | > > before the instal, c and windows were expanded (iow both had minus
    | > > signs)
    | > > (sorry -- this is not effecting the pc's performance at all)

    thanks for the information -- i'll try it...
    just wonder whether i should restore the registry (i've only booted about 6
    times since i installed i.e. 6 so likely i still have a copy from before (i
    did back it up before i.e 6 also))
    thanks,
    sincerely
    Tanya

    PCR wrote:

> [...]
    > is *clear*)
    > | (on the 98se pc, when i access the short-cut that Gary S. Terhune had
    > given instructions
    > | for, c is not expanded on the left... nothing is expanded on the left.
    > but the right
    > | side has c's contents (c is high-lighted)
    > | i don't have another win98 pc but the 95bs had similar hierarchies as
    > the 98se pc *HAD*
    > | on the win95b pcs, when i create a short-cut or start windows explorer
    > from start->
    > | programs, they have c expanded (subfolders both in the left side under
    > c, and on the
    > | right side.)
    > |

    > | > Did you install IE6 SP1 and then all the critical updates after
    > that, from Windows
    > | > Update?
    > | > Did you close all open apps by End Task on all but Explorer *prior*

    It is unwise to restore a pre-IE6 Registry. That would give you all the
    matter of IE5 in the Registry & all the files of IE6 in system folders.
    It could come to no good. Anyway, normally only 5 Registry backups are
    kept, one made each separate day you have successfully boot to Normal
    Mode.

    You might have an option to uninstall IE6 in Add/Remove Programs, but I
    think that might be a bit drastic at this point.

    --
    | thanks for the information -- i'll try it...
    | just wonder whether i should restore the registry (i've only booted
    about 6
    | times since i installed i.e. 6 so likely i still have a copy from
    before (i
    | did back it up before i.e 6 also))
    | thanks,
    | sincerely
    | Tanya
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    |
    | > What you describe is unnatural. If Windows shows, then ALL of C:'s
    | > folders should show in the left pane, & C: should have a minus sign.
    | > guess the easiest try would be...
    | >
    | > "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool".
    | >
    | > If that fails, I guess, just to shake things up...
    | >
    | > (1) Undo Active Desktop.
    | >
    | > (a) R-Clk the Desktop, point to Active Desktop, & select Customize
    my
    | > Desktop.
    | > (b) Uncheck "View my Active Desktop as a WEB page" & Apply.
    | >
    | > Is there anything in the box under that item? Those are WEB sites
    that
    | > would appear on the Desktop. Delete them.
    | >
    | > (c) At the Effects tab, uncheck "Hide icons when the Desktop is
    viewed
    | > as a WEB page" & OK.
    | > (d) R-Clk the Desktop, & uncheck "View as WEB page".
    | >
    | > (2) "START, Settings, Folder Options, General tab". Set to "Classic
    | > style". If all gets better, click "Custom...", & gingerly go back to
    how
    | > you like it. But stay away from "Enable all Web related content...".
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    | > | hi Glen,
    | > | thanks for answering
    | > | [...below...]
    | > |
    | > | glee wrote:
    | > |
    | > you to see
    | > mean C: is not
    | > it? Please
    | > |
    | > | i just checked and it has c (with the + sign) and right under
    | > (indented) is windows
    | > | (with the minus sign) and all of windows sub folders / files.(and
    on
    | > the right side are
    | > | the contents of the start menu)
    | > |
    | > | i also checked 'my computer' and windows is under 'c' (i.e. when i
    | > double-click c,
    | > | windows is present) where it should be. (if windows hadn't been
    there
    | > very likely i'd
    | > | have a different message subject like 'where is the os...' :-)
    | > |
    | > if so, where is
    | > Shortcut tab,
    | > |
    | > | i don't have a short-cut to windows explorer.
    | > | i am right-clicking the start button (as i always do) (which now i
    | > realize is why i had
    | > | the contents of the start menu in the right sided window.)
    | > | however when i access windows explorer from start-> programs, it
    has
    | > on the left: c
    | > | (with the plus sign) (c is high-lighted) and all of c's content is
    on
    | > the right
    | > | side.(none of c's content is expanded on the left -- hopefully
    this
    | > is *clear*)
    | > | (on the 98se pc, when i access the short-cut that Gary S. Terhune
    had
    | > given instructions
    | > | for, c is not expanded on the left... nothing is expanded on the
    left.
    | > but the right
    | > | side has c's contents (c is high-lighted)
    | > | i don't have another win98 pc but the 95bs had similar hierarchies
    as
    | > the 98se pc *HAD*
    | > | on the win95b pcs, when i create a short-cut or start windows
    explorer
    | > from start->
    | > | programs, they have c expanded (subfolders both in the left side
    under
    | > c, and on the
    | > | right side.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > that, from Windows
    | > to starting the
    | > |
    | > | i did everything right :)
    | > | thank you,
    | > | sincerely
    | > | Tanya
    | > |

    | > have

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    thanks again PCR!
    i'll just leave it for now... 1 extra click
    sincerely
    Tanya
    (p.s. when i try what you suggested (below) i'll post back the results good
    or not good)

    <snip>

    You are welcome. Yes, keep us informed.

    --
    | thanks again PCR!
    | i'll just leave it for now... 1 extra click
    | sincerely
    | Tanya
    | (p.s. when i try what you suggested (below) i'll post back the results
    good
    | or not good)
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    |
    | > It is unwise to restore a pre-IE6 Registry. That would give you all
    the
    | > matter of IE5 in the Registry & all the files of IE6 in system
    folders.
    | > It could come to no good. Anyway, normally only 5 Registry backups
    are
    | > kept, one made each separate day you have successfully boot to
    Normal
    | > Mode.
    | >
    | > You might have an option to uninstall IE6 in Add/Remove Programs,
    but I
    | > think that might be a bit drastic at this point.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    | > | thanks for the information -- i'll try it...
    | > | just wonder whether i should restore the registry (i've only
    booted
    | > about 6
    | > | times since i installed i.e. 6 so likely i still have a copy from
    | > before (i
    | > | did back it up before i.e 6 also))
    | > | thanks,
    | > | sincerely
    | > | Tanya
    | > |
    | > | PCR wrote:
    | > |
    C:'s

    Customize
    | > my

    | > that

    | > viewed

    | > how

    | <snip>

Windows Explorer Performance Microsoft Windows