Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Transfering data from old harddrive to new?

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Crash
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 7, 2006 1:22:15 AM

Probably a common question, but I wanna grab a good amount of data from a computer which has a tendency to crash randomly but consistently.

What's a good method of getting going about this?

Would this do? http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/52/

More about : transfering data harddrive

May 7, 2006 2:02:42 AM

it all depends on how currupt the hard drive your trying to recover files from as to wether or not you should copy partitions.
if files are what your after may I suggest a external hdd usn/firewire case.on a fresh install on your new drive.
May 7, 2006 2:03:27 AM

damm keyboard
Related resources
May 7, 2006 3:29:18 AM

Quote:
If you want to also copy the system partition(and thus avoiding clean install of OS) use XXClone.

If not, any form of backup method is fine.

very nice
I like patrition magic but this looks like it will be more forgiving.
May 7, 2006 9:02:56 PM

on the same topic, i was trying to use the partition copying feature of Norton Ghost to duplicate my windows drive onto a new hard drive that i've just purchased, after successfully completing the process and booting with the new hard drive, things took very long to open up (my computer, start menu, etc) and errors involving system files began popping up, i was also prevented from shutting down properly as it froze after i clicked "shut down".

what can i do?

info regarding drives, operating systems and volume labels

[slave]old drive Maxtor (40gb) - 2 partitions split evenly into C: and D:
[master] new drive Western Digital Caviar SE (320gb) - 1 partition spanning the entire drive - G:
file system: NTFS

in the help file it told me that the source drive must be the master prior to partition copying, however, i have it set up the opposite way, what is the significance?