Reformat disk

I think there's a Sassar Worm virus on my computer causing it to slow to a
halt. What do I need to do to reformat the disk back to the original
manufacturer as shipped configuration? thanks...

Andre

If you don't want to take the option of trying to clean your system with
antivirus programs .. to answer your question

***THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING**

boot the computer using a boot disk (if you don't have one you can make one
in win98 or get an image free from www.bootdisk.com)

when you get to command prompt type FDISK

select the delete partition option
drive)
go to create new partition (probably max size unless you want to split it)

exit and reboot back to boot disk, and at command prompt type format C:
now you can insert your cd and reinstall which ever operating system you
have available.

(make sure your boot disk gives you access to your cdrom before formating
:D)

It's been many years since i've installed win98, but you can probably
acomplish the same steps of deleting and recreating your hard drive
partition if you boot from the cd (like win2k or XP)

"jamesld20" <jamesld20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I think there's a Sassar Worm virus on my computer causing it to slow to a
> halt. What do I need to do to reformat the disk back to the original
> manufacturer as shipped configuration? thanks...

Why do you think you have the Sasser? Have you run a full system virus scan
with fully updated definitions?

If you do not have an AV app, you can get any of these free:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php free
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/ free (DOS only, Not for use in
Windows)

If you do not have a Firewall, which is a necessity nowadays:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

If you want to find out if it is the Sasser or any other type of virus causing
the issue, boot/reboot to Safe Mode:

Press/hold down the CTRL key or continually tap the F8 key at the first sight
of the POST screen or the manufacturers logo until you get the startup menu.
Use the up/down keys or type in the proper number to select Safe Mode and then
press Enter.

If you have your drive connected to a add-on Controller Card, wait until you
see the cards own BIOS drive detection to press/hold CTRL or tap F8. When a
controller card is used it is fruitless to attempt to get to the startup menu
using the keys mentioned before the controller card takes control of the
drive/s.

Another way is while at your normal desktop:
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter.
Under the General tab click the Advanced button in the lower right corner.
Place a check next to "Enable startup menu..."
Click Apply > Ok and reboot.

In Safe Mode:
Right click the IE icon on the desktop.
Click Properties > Delete Files.
Put a check in "Delete all offline..."
Click Ok and when finished close out.

Open either MyComputer or Explorer.
Navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder.
Delete all contents in the windows\temp folder.
Close out.

Run a full system virus scan with a fully updated av app.

If any viruses are found, fixed, quarantined or deleted, check any
logs/reports for the scan to determine what was found and where if not mentioned
during the scan.
Go to your AV apps manufacturer site from a non-infected machine that isn't
networked to the infected one and look up the name of the virus for complete
removal instructions. Follow their instructions explicitly.

If you find or believe you have the Sasser, Symantec has a removal tool that
must be run in Safe Mode on 95/98/ME systems:
Info and removal on the Sasser:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html

Removal tool and instructions on use:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html

Once we know you're clean of viruses, we'll take the next step
checking/cleaning other adware/spyware parasites.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jamesld20" <jamesld20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think there's a Sassar Worm virus on my computer causing it to slow to a
> halt. What do I need to do to reformat the disk back to the original
> manufacturer as shipped configuration? thanks...

If you REALLY want to clear your hard drive, you can download your hd
manufacturers "zero fill" utility, (sometimes erroneously called a low-level
format). This is placed onto a bootable floppy and run from there. A
zero-fill is sometimes the quickest way to clear some fault conditions
....particularly on NTFS disks. (esp. if you don't coax XP into an
"unconditional format")

regards, Richard

"jamesld20" <jamesld20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think there's a Sassar Worm virus on my computer causing it to slow to a
> halt. What do I need to do to reformat the disk back to the original
> manufacturer as shipped configuration? thanks...

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:40:04 -0700, jamesld20
<jamesld20@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>I think there's a Sassar Worm virus on my computer causing it to slow to a
>halt. What do I need to do to reformat the disk back to the original
>manufacturer as shipped configuration? thanks...

Boot from a startup floppy diskette or CD. Then type "FDISK /MBR" to
refresh the code in the Master Boot Record, and "FORMAT C: /S" to
reformat your C: drive. Then reinstall your OS. Reformat the remaining
partitions, if any, as required.

-- Franc Zabkar