Still Image Monitor

When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into the
start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete it in
MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been disconnected. I'd put up
with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on occasion, and
it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering if this
feature is really necessary and could be deleted permanently. If it is
necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's invoked
only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)
23 answers Last reply
More about still image monitor

    STIMON's purpose is to receive signals from the scanner when you press the
    "Scan" button on the scanner itself. When it gets the signal, it launches
    the scanner interface. If it's your habit to put something into the scanner
    and then press a button on that scanner, instead of launching the
    appropriate application and using Acquire, you need STIMON. Otherwise, you
    don't.

    To remove STIMON from your startup queue, go to the Start\Run box, type in
    REGEDIT, then <Enter>. In Registry Editor, drill down to
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices.
    Locate the entry for STIMON and delete it.

    Many scanner software packages include other apps that are started up with
    Windows, and some of them may automatically re-insert STIMON as a Service.
    If so, you need to further review your needs--can you get along without
    whatever functions are provided by this software running in the background,
    or can you simply launch it when necessary (if ever.)

    Other than to monitor the button(s) on the scanner itself, STIMON has no
    purpose. IOW, there's no purpose in launching it manually.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into the
    > start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete it in
    > MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been disconnected. I'd put
    > up
    > with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on occasion,
    > and
    > it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering if
    > this
    > feature is really necessary and could be deleted permanently. If it is
    > necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's invoked
    > only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)

    Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=257815

    Error Message When You Start Computer: Stimon Caused an Invalid Page Fault in
    Kernel32.dll:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306393

    If you disable stimon (renaming the file and deleting the Registry entry), your
    scanner's push-buttons won't work, if the scanner has them. If that is not a
    concern, try disabling it as described in the articles above. You need not use Safe
    Mode or a DOS boot as the second article describes, since your system is not having
    any trouble starting with stimon enabled.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into the
    > start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete it in
    > MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been disconnected. I'd put up
    > with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on occasion, and
    > it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering if this
    > feature is really necessary and could be deleted permanently. If it is
    > necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's invoked
    > only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)

    "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message

    > When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into the
    > start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete it in
    > MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been disconnected. I'd put
    up
    > with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on occasion,
    and
    > it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering if
    this
    > feature is really necessary and could be deleted permanently. If it is

    Some brands of peripheral (e.g. Epson multifunction
    units) may require STIMON to be loaded for the
    scanner to respond to custom Epson software.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    The way I've had to do it recently is somewhere in between those two
    options, by using the scanner software you alluded to. I never had a problem
    acquiring with Paintshop Pro, but once you use Picasa2 you can't go back,
    and I haven't been able to get the acquire feature to work with Picasa2
    (possibly not the program's fault). So I launch the Canon "Toolbox", a
    software console that let's you program the physical buttons and coordinates
    everything. As I recall, the last thing you do on the toolbox is to click a
    button that sends it to Picasa, opening it up if necessary. Sounds like
    another way of hitting the physical scanner button to me but a second
    opinion might help. If I'm correct this means that at the moment I still
    need stimon. I take it there is no registry setting to override Canon's
    launching it, if that's what's happening, and just keep it closed until
    needed.

    It's a little cumbersome, but the other option is just to use PSP, save it,
    and then come back and edit/manipulate it with Picassa, which is the real
    strength of the program.

    glee wrote:
    > Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=257815
    >
    > Error Message When You Start Computer: Stimon Caused an Invalid Page
    > Fault in Kernel32.dll:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306393
    >
    > If you disable stimon (renaming the file and deleting the Registry
    > entry), your scanner's push-buttons won't work, if the scanner has
    > them. If that is not a concern, try disabling it as described in the
    > articles above. You need not use Safe Mode or a DOS boot as the
    > second article describes, since your system is not having any trouble
    > starting with stimon enabled.
    >
    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >> When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into
    >> the
    >> start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete
    >> it in MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been
    >> disconnected. I'd put up
    >> with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on
    >> occasion, and
    >> it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering
    >> if this feature is really necessary and could be deleted
    >> permanently. If it is
    >> necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's
    >> invoked
    >> only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)

    I never use the buttons, but launching the scan from the Toolbox may be in
    essence the same thing, not sure, as I noted above.

    No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is to
    launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the scanner itself.
    Launching the interface manually does not require STIMON.

    Anyway, delete the Registry entry I told you about and test. If you use
    File>Export in REGEDIT to Export the entry before you delete it, it's easy
    to restore if you decide to keep it.

    From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>

    | The way I've had to do it recently is somewhere in between those two
    | options, by using the scanner software you alluded to. I never had a problem
    | acquiring with Paintshop Pro, but once you use Picasa2 you can't go back,
    | and I haven't been able to get the acquire feature to work with Picasa2
    | (possibly not the program's fault). So I launch the Canon "Toolbox", a
    | software console that let's you program the physical buttons and coordinates
    | everything. As I recall, the last thing you do on the toolbox is to click a
    | button that sends it to Picasa, opening it up if necessary. Sounds like
    | another way of hitting the physical scanner button to me but a second
    | opinion might help. If I'm correct this means that at the moment I still
    | need stimon. I take it there is no registry setting to override Canon's
    | launching it, if that's what's happening, and just keep it closed until
    | needed.
    |
    | It's a little cumbersome, but the other option is just to use PSP, save it,
    | and then come back and edit/manipulate it with Picassa, which is the real
    | strength of the program.

    Does not Picassa have its own TWAIN scanner interface ?

    Any decent graphics editing/manipulation program has it.
    For example; PowerPoint, PSP, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe PhotoShop Elements,etc.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>
    >
    >> The way I've had to do it recently is somewhere in between those two
    >> options, by using the scanner software you alluded to. I never had a
    >> problem acquiring with Paintshop Pro, but once you use Picasa2 you
    >> can't go back, and I haven't been able to get the acquire feature to
    >> work with Picasa2 (possibly not the program's fault). So I launch
    >> the Canon "Toolbox", a software console that let's you program the
    >> physical buttons and coordinates everything. As I recall, the last
    >> thing you do on the toolbox is to click a button that sends it to
    >> Picasa, opening it up if necessary. Sounds like another way of
    >> hitting the physical scanner button to me but a second opinion might
    >> help. If I'm correct this means that at the moment I still need
    >> stimon. I take it there is no registry setting to override Canon's
    >> launching it, if that's what's happening, and just keep it closed
    >> until needed.
    >>
    >> It's a little cumbersome, but the other option is just to use PSP,
    >> save it, and then come back and edit/manipulate it with Picassa,
    >> which is the real strength of the program.
    >>

    > Does not Picassa have its own TWAIN scanner interface ?
    >
    > Any decent graphics editing/manipulation program has it.
    > For example; PowerPoint, PSP, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe PhotoShop
    > Elements,etc.

    Yes it does, but as I mentioned, I'm having trouble getting it to do the
    Acquire.

    From: "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net>

    | Yes it does, but as I mentioned, I'm having trouble getting it to do the
    | Acquire.

    Then there is most likely a problem with the TWAIN driver for the scanner.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    OK, I'll try it over the weekend. If there are any surprises, or not, I'll
    report back.
    Thanks

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is to
    > launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the scanner
    > itself. Launching the interface manually does not require STIMON.
    >
    > Anyway, delete the Registry entry I told you about and test. If you
    > use File>Export in REGEDIT to Export the entry before you delete it,
    > it's easy to restore if you decide to keep it.
    >

    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >> glee wrote:
    >>> Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=257815
    >>>
    >>> Error Message When You Start Computer: Stimon Caused an Invalid Page
    >>> Fault in Kernel32.dll:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306393
    >>>
    >>> If you disable stimon (renaming the file and deleting the Registry
    >>> entry), your scanner's push-buttons won't work, if the scanner has
    >>> them. If that is not a concern, try disabling it as described in
    >>> the articles above. You need not use Safe Mode or a DOS boot as the
    >>> second article describes, since your system is not having any
    >>> trouble starting with stimon enabled.
    >>>
    >>> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I never use the buttons, but launching the scan from the Toolbox may
    >> be in essence the same thing, not sure, as I noted above.

    I do not use the software that you have but it's possible that launching and using
    the "Toolbox" may as a side effect re-enable loading stimon at startup, as seen in
    msconfig.

    You might as an alternative try out this little tool:
    http://www.smatters.com/stimon/readme.txt
    Direct download:
    http://smatters.com/stimon/sti_fix.zip
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > glee wrote:
    > > Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=257815
    > >
    > > Error Message When You Start Computer: Stimon Caused an Invalid Page
    > > Fault in Kernel32.dll:
    > >
    > > If you disable stimon (renaming the file and deleting the Registry
    > > entry), your scanner's push-buttons won't work, if the scanner has
    > > them. If that is not a concern, try disabling it as described in the
    > > articles above. You need not use Safe Mode or a DOS boot as the
    > > second article describes, since your system is not having any trouble
    > > starting with stimon enabled.
    > >
    > > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > >> When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into
    > >> the
    > >> start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete
    > >> it in MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been
    > >> disconnected. I'd put up
    > >> with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on
    > >> occasion, and
    > >> it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering
    > >> if this feature is really necessary and could be deleted
    > >> permanently. If it is
    > >> necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's
    > >> invoked
    > >> only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)
    >
    > I never use the buttons, but launching the scan from the Toolbox may be in
    > essence the same thing, not sure, as I noted above.

    I'll know soon enough, since I'm going to delete it as Gary described and
    see what happens. In addition to the program you suggest, this looks
    interesting as well.

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    I believe this works similarly to an email whitelist. What got me interested
    in it was RealPlayer, which I'd like to update sometime, but not at the
    expense of the monitoring feature that's loaded at every start-up. There is
    no hack for this that I've been able to find. Not that different from
    spyware - thug disguised in a three piece suit.

    glee wrote:
    > I do not use the software that you have but it's possible that
    > launching and using the "Toolbox" may as a side effect re-enable

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:06:19 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >When I use a scanner, Still Image Monitor (stimon) is inserted into the
    >start-up group and stays there in subsequent sessions until I delete it in
    >MSconfig. This is true even if the scanner has been disconnected. I'd put up
    >with it except that it can and does crash Windows Explorer on occasion, and
    >it also hides my "connected" icon in the symbol tray. I'm wondering if this
    >feature is really necessary and could be deleted permanently. If it is
    >necessary, can I configure something in the registry so that it's invoked
    >only on an as-needed basis? (Win98SE)

    I think other Twain sources such as digicams may require stimon for
    certain functions. Kodak's Easyshare comes to mind.

    In any case I have a desktop shortcut which points to a batch file
    which launches stimon and the Canon toolbox on demand. I also have a
    housekeeping section in my autoexec.bat file that is executed just
    prior to shutdown. If by "start-up group" you mean the folder named
    "C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp", then you could add an
    appropriate DELete command to your autoexec.bat for housekeeping
    purposes. Otherwise, if stimon appears in the "Run" key(s) in your
    registry, then you *may* be able to use the command line options of
    regedit to automate a registry cleanup just prior to boot or just
    before shutdown.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:32:32 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is to
    >launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the scanner itself.
    >Launching the interface manually does not require STIMON.

    No. I have a Canon MP370 printer/scanner/copier. The Canon MP Toolbox
    will not see the scanner until stimon is launched. I've had to write a
    little batch file to automate this for me.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:32:32 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is to
    >>launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the scanner
    >>itself.
    >>Launching the interface manually does not require STIMON.
    >
    > No. I have a Canon MP370 printer/scanner/copier. The Canon MP Toolbox
    > will not see the scanner until stimon is launched. I've had to write a
    > little batch file to automate this for me.

    First I've heard of that. Restoring STIMON to the startup queue, sure,
    but....

    Well, there's always that exception that proves the rule, eh? (And now I'll
    get a reply or five telling me all about the other cases where this is true,
    <bg>)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Well I didn't try removing the registry entry, but as it turns out it's kind
    of
    incidental to the proceedings:

    1. Reinstalled TWAIN driver and updated Picasa2; now both editing programs,
    Picasa & PSP, are able to acquire the image directly.
    2. Unchecked STIMON in MSconfig and rebooted.
    3. With STIMON unchecked, attempted to acquire a photo image using each
    editing program. Error box - no success.
    4. Checked STIMON in MSconfig and rebooted. Can now successfully acquire the
    image with each editing program.

    This model scanner, Canon 4200F, maybe because it's newer than the
    information you cited, requires Still Image Monitor to be running for the
    Acquire function of the editing programs to work. That may defy logic, but,
    hey, we're talking about computers here.

    Also, FWIW, in my registry the StillImageMonitor entry is under the Run
    (enabled), Run- (disabled) keys,
    not Runservices, or the other "Runvariants".

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is to
    > launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the scanner
    > itself. Launching the interface manually does not require STIMON.
    >
    > Anyway, delete the Registry entry I told you about and test. If you
    > use File>Export in REGEDIT to Export the entry before you delete it,
    > it's easy to restore if you decide to keep it.
    >

    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >> glee wrote:
    >>> Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=257815
    >>>
    >>> Error Message When You Start Computer: Stimon Caused an Invalid Page
    >>> Fault in Kernel32.dll:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306393
    >>>
    >>> If you disable stimon (renaming the file and deleting the Registry
    >>> entry), your scanner's push-buttons won't work, if the scanner has
    >>> them. If that is not a concern, try disabling it as described in
    >>> the articles above. You need not use Safe Mode or a DOS boot as the
    >>> second article describes, since your system is not having any
    >>> trouble starting with stimon enabled.
    >>>
    >>> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I never use the buttons, but launching the scan from the Toolbox may
    >> be in essence the same thing, not sure, as I noted above.

    Oh well, <g>. At least *you* have it all sussed out, regardless of "expert
    opinion" and the documentation. The difference you noted about where the
    STIMON entry is located (Run, not RunServices) is due to the application's
    setup demands, and the difference is insignificant. Standard Windows
    procedure would normally put it in RunServices, but the app designers chose
    not to, whether for some good reason or not.

    From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>

    | Oh well, <g>. At least *you* have it all sussed out, regardless of "expert
    | opinion" and the documentation. The difference you noted about where the
    | STIMON entry is located (Run, not RunServices) is due to the application's
    | setup demands, and the difference is insignificant. Standard Windows
    | procedure would normally put it in RunServices, but the app designers chose
    | not to, whether for some good reason or not.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    It is located in RunServices in WinME.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    No you're still travelling in rarified air, you just got snookered by
    Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257815
    As Wolfman Jack said in the Clearasil commercial:
    "I been dere, I know".

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Oh well, <g>. At least *you* have it all sussed out, regardless of
    > "expert opinion" and the documentation. The difference you noted
    > about where the STIMON entry is located (Run, not RunServices) is due
    > to the application's setup demands, and the difference is
    > insignificant. Standard Windows procedure would normally put it in
    > RunServices, but the app designers chose not to, whether for some
    > good reason or not.
    >

    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    >> Well I didn't try removing the registry entry, but as it turns out
    >> it's kind
    >> of
    >> incidental to the proceedings:
    >>
    >> 1. Reinstalled TWAIN driver and updated Picasa2; now both editing
    >> programs,
    >> Picasa & PSP, are able to acquire the image directly.
    >> 2. Unchecked STIMON in MSconfig and rebooted.
    >> 3. With STIMON unchecked, attempted to acquire a photo image using
    >> each editing program. Error box - no success.
    >> 4. Checked STIMON in MSconfig and rebooted. Can now successfully
    >> acquire the
    >> image with each editing program.
    >>
    >> This model scanner, Canon 4200F, maybe because it's newer than the
    >> information you cited, requires Still Image Monitor to be running
    >> for the Acquire function of the editing programs to work. That may
    >> defy logic, but,
    >> hey, we're talking about computers here.
    >>
    >> Also, FWIW, in my registry the StillImageMonitor entry is under the
    >> Run (enabled), Run- (disabled) keys,
    >> not Runservices, or the other "Runvariants".
    >>

    >> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >>> No, read the article again. STIMON is not required. It's purpose is
    >>> to launch that scanner interface when a button is pushed on the
    >>> scanner itself. Launching the interface manually does not require
    >>> STIMON.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, delete the Registry entry I told you about and test. If you
    >>> use File>Export in REGEDIT to Export the entry before you delete it,
    >>> it's easy to restore if you decide to keep it.
    >>>

    >>> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 23:04:12 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I'll know soon enough, since I'm going to delete it as Gary described and
    >see what happens. In addition to the program you suggest, this looks
    >interesting as well.
    >
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    >
    >I believe this works similarly to an email whitelist. What got me interested
    >in it was RealPlayer, which I'd like to update sometime, but not at the
    >expense of the monitoring feature that's loaded at every start-up. There is
    >no hack for this that I've been able to find. Not that different from
    >spyware - thug disguised in a three piece suit.

    What about a general hack like this.

    Let's say the offending autostarting program is called thug.exe. Add
    the following commands (with appropriate filespecs) to the
    autoexec.bat file:

    move /y thug.exe \hack_directory
    copy \hack_directory\do_nothing.exe thug.exe

    In the Startup group add a batch file, say thug.bat, containing the
    following line:

    move /y \hack_directory\thug.exe \original_directory

    The idea is that a do-nothing program is temporarily substituted for
    the real program. This program launches and exits without doing
    anything, but it keeps the registry happy. The original program is
    then restored so that its parent application is none the wiser.

    For this hack to work, I'm expecting the boot order to be as follows:

    execute commands in autoexec.bat
    process the registry including the autorun components
    launch items in Programs -> Startup group

    >glee wrote:
    >> I do not use the software that you have but it's possible that
    >> launching and using the "Toolbox" may as a side effect re-enable

    -- Franc Zabkar

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 23:04:12 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >> I'll know soon enough, since I'm going to delete it as Gary
    >> described and see what happens. In addition to the program you
    >> suggest, this looks interesting as well.
    >>
    >> http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    >>
    >> I believe this works similarly to an email whitelist. What got me
    >> interested in it was RealPlayer, which I'd like to update sometime,
    >> but not at the expense of the monitoring feature that's loaded at
    >> every start-up. There is no hack for this that I've been able to
    >> find. Not that different from spyware - thug disguised in a three
    >> piece suit.
    >
    > What about a general hack like this.
    >
    > Let's say the offending autostarting program is called thug.exe. Add
    > the following commands (with appropriate filespecs) to the
    > autoexec.bat file:
    >
    > move /y thug.exe \hack_directory
    > copy \hack_directory\do_nothing.exe thug.exe
    >
    > In the Startup group add a batch file, say thug.bat, containing the
    > following line:
    >
    > move /y \hack_directory\thug.exe \original_directory
    >
    > The idea is that a do-nothing program is temporarily substituted for
    > the real program. This program launches and exits without doing
    > anything, but it keeps the registry happy. The original program is
    > then restored so that its parent application is none the wiser.
    >
    > For this hack to work, I'm expecting the boot order to be as follows:
    >
    > execute commands in autoexec.bat
    > process the registry including the autorun components
    > launch items in Programs -> Startup group
    >

    > -- Franc Zabkar

    I'm sure it's pretty easy, but you're in territory I'm totally unfamiliar
    with, so right now for me that would be like rappelling down the Empire
    State Building. I'm going to give Glen's sti_fix program a try, or the Mike
    Lin program I referred to, or both, and see where it leads.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:17:25 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:

    >> The idea is that a do-nothing program is temporarily substituted for
    >> the real program. This program launches and exits without doing
    >> anything, but it keeps the registry happy. The original program is
    >> then restored so that its parent application is none the wiser.

    >I'm sure it's pretty easy, but you're in territory I'm totally unfamiliar
    >with, so right now for me that would be like rappelling down the Empire
    >State Building. I'm going to give Glen's sti_fix program a try, or the Mike
    >Lin program I referred to, or both, and see where it leads.

    Actually, it *is* easy if you know just a little DOS. The benefits are
    that no third party apps are required, and nothing is running in the
    background to consume resources.

    Anyway I tried my hack with Real Player. Unfortunately autoexec.bat
    executes before Windows becomes aware of long file names, so this
    didn't work. Instead I had to place the MOVE and COPY commands in
    C:\windows\winstart.bat which *is* LFN aware. Everything then worked
    as expected.

    BTW, if anyone needs a do-nothing file, you can create one from a DOS
    window as follows:

    debug
    -a
    12EB:0100 int 20
    12EB:0102

    -r cx
    CX 0000
    :2
    -n \windows\temp\do_nix.com
    -w
    Writing 00002 bytes
    -q

    -- Franc Zabkar

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:17:25 -0400, "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >> Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >
    >>> The idea is that a do-nothing program is temporarily substituted for
    >>> the real program. This program launches and exits without doing
    >>> anything, but it keeps the registry happy. The original program is
    >>> then restored so that its parent application is none the wiser.
    >
    >> I'm sure it's pretty easy, but you're in territory I'm totally
    >> unfamiliar with, so right now for me that would be like rappelling
    >> down the Empire State Building. I'm going to give Glen's sti_fix
    >> program a try, or the Mike Lin program I referred to, or both, and
    >> see where it leads.
    >
    > Actually, it *is* easy if you know just a little DOS. The benefits are
    > that no third party apps are required, and nothing is running in the
    > background to consume resources.
    >
    > Anyway I tried my hack with Real Player. Unfortunately autoexec.bat
    > executes before Windows becomes aware of long file names, so this
    > didn't work. Instead I had to place the MOVE and COPY commands in
    > C:\windows\winstart.bat which *is* LFN aware. Everything then worked
    > as expected.
    >
    > BTW, if anyone needs a do-nothing file, you can create one from a DOS
    > window as follows:
    >
    > debug
    > -a
    > 12EB:0100 int 20
    > 12EB:0102
    >
    > -r cx
    > CX 0000
    >> 2
    > -n \windows\temp\do_nix.com
    > -w
    > Writing 00002 bytes
    > -q
    >

    > -- Franc Zabkar
    >
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    FWIW, today I figured out the best way to deal with the Real Player activity
    monitor (TkBell.exe) inserted into the startup folder is with Teatime, a
    selectable feature of Spybot. It has the advantage over Lin's Startup
    Monitor in that it asks you if you want to accept or deny the change AND if
    you want to make it permanent. After that it doesn't bother you and neither
    does TkBell.exe. So for that particular headache, it's ideal.

Monitors Scanners Windows