  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 3, 2005 12:43:01 AM

My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
in advance.

More about : static

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:46:21 AM

What program are you using to view the images? What does the title bar of
the viewing window say?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from
> folders,
> If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
> STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next
> picture
> is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again,
> does
> anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I
> do a
> search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your
> help
> in advance.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:26:45 PM

"Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
> If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
> STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
> is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
> anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
> search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
> in advance.

Put static.exe in a search engine like Google. May give you some info.
Might just be your viewing program, but check out some of the hits:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
September 3, 2005 2:29:14 PM

"Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
> If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
> STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
> is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
> anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
> search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
> in advance.

Are you using ImageMagic?
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:10:02 PM

no I do not use Image magic, just explorer to open the pictures in jpeg form

"Buffalo" wrote:

> "Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
> > If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
> > STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
> > is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
> > anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
> > search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
> > in advance.
>
> Are you using ImageMagic?

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:32:51 PM

Explorer or Internet Explorer?

--

> no I do not use Image magic, just explorer to open the pictures in jpeg
> form
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:36:03 AM

Explorer

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Explorer or Internet Explorer?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > no I do not use Image magic, just explorer to open the pictures in jpeg
> > form

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:52:14 AM

How? I'm not aware that Windows Explorer has the ability to show more than
Thumbnails or slightly larger Previews (or background.) Please describe what
you see. Maximize the window, first, then tell us what the title bar says,
what menus are offered, what you see on the left (if anything different from
the right), etc.

--

> Explorer
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Explorer or Internet Explorer?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > no I do not use Image magic, just explorer to open the pictures in jpeg
>> > form

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:00:52 AM

> How? I'm not aware that Windows Explorer has the ability to show more than
> Thumbnails or slightly larger Previews (or background.) Please describe
what
> you see. Maximize the window, first, then tell us what the title bar says,
> what menus are offered, what you see on the left (if anything different
from
> the right), etc.

The OP may simply have JPG/JPEG files associated with Explorer.

Explorer has no problem displaying them.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:07:33 AM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
news:o zUvBYRsFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > How? I'm not aware that Windows Explorer has the ability to show more
than
> > Thumbnails or slightly larger Previews (or background.) Please describe
> what
> > you see. Maximize the window, first, then tell us what the title bar
says,
> > what menus are offered, what you see on the left (if anything different
> from
> > the right), etc.
>
> The OP may simply have JPG/JPEG files associated with Explorer.
>
> Explorer has no problem displaying them.

Never mind. I should have checked more closely.

Even though I told it to use Windows Explorer,
they opened in Internet Explorer instead.

I haven't tried changing the association first,
I'm not not going to right now.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:15:32 AM

Hah! I never even thought of that. But if they're showing in Explorer,
Internet Explorer is thoroughly involved, which leads me to suggest that
STATIC is a plug-in.
I'll repost to OP on this basis. Thanks!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
news:o zUvBYRsFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>> How? I'm not aware that Windows Explorer has the ability to show more
>> than
>> Thumbnails or slightly larger Previews (or background.) Please describe
> what
>> you see. Maximize the window, first, then tell us what the title bar
>> says,
>> what menus are offered, what you see on the left (if anything different
> from
>> the right), etc.
>
> The OP may simply have JPG/JPEG files associated with Explorer.
>
> Explorer has no problem displaying them.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:23:57 AM

Based upon Hugh Candlin's observations, here's my revised response:

What version is your installation of Internet Explorer? Open IE, look in
Help>About.

You see, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are inextricably linked, and
you can in fact use IE like you would Explorer and vice-versa. Internet
Explorer is the basic JPEG viewer in Windows 98, but most people install
some other image viewer like www.irfanview.com

My original reason for asking about IE is that when the symptoms you
describe occur when you do something using IE, then a "plug-in" is usually
involved. "Plug-ins" are little helper utilities that run inside IE, like
Acrobat Reader and others. Sounds like that's what STATIC is. My reason for
asking what version of IE you have is so that I can look up the proper steps
to disable that plug-in.

Furthermore, this may very well be a certain type of malicious software.
Make sure your Windows is totally up to date at Windows Update, to make sure
that you have an active and up-to-date antivirus scanner, and to otherwise
do what you can to discover if this item isn't malware. You might want to
review my article at http://www.grystmill.com/security.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Explorer
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Explorer or Internet Explorer?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > no I do not use Image magic, just explorer to open the pictures in jpeg
>> > form

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:29:42 AM

OK, yeah, but let's see what OP says. I still think I may be on the right
track.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Never mind. I should have checked more closely.
>
> Even though I told it to use Windows Explorer,
> they opened in Internet Explorer instead.
>
> I haven't tried changing the association first,
> I'm not not going to right now.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:24:52 PM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:43:01 -0700, Strongest
<Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
>If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
>STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
>is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
>anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
>search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
>in advance.

Install Wintop from the Windows 95 Kernel PowerToys:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...

What does Wintop tell you about the running process? BTW, the
PowerToys work just fine in Windows 98.

-- Franc Zabkar

September 4, 2005 1:24:53 PM

ok it is Iexplorer that opens pictures in the title bar when I open a picture
it shows the path of the picture like C:/ My documents/pictures .... with a
little iexplorer thump before the path, & in the address bar it is the same
thing without the iexplorer symbol, the iexplorer that I use is
6.0.2800.1106, I useually keep up to date on windows update, I scanned for
viruses with Norton anty virus, I use Adware SE, & Spybot & they all find
nothing the assosiation for jpeg is Iexplorer
I did a search for Static in Google & didnot find anything to help me or
anything I could make sence with.
I instaled Wintop & run the program & believe it or not when Static is
running it does not show up in the list of running processes
"Franc Zabkar" wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:43:01 -0700, Strongest
> <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
> composed:
>
> >My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from folders,
> >If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that is
> >STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next picture
> >is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again, does
> >anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I do a
> >search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your help
> >in advance.
>
> Install Wintop from the Windows 95 Kernel PowerToys:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...
>
> What does Wintop tell you about the running process? BTW, the
> PowerToys work just fine in Windows 98.
>

> -- Franc Zabkar
>
> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:10:33 PM

Look in IE Settings on the Program tab, for a 'Manage Add-ons' button. Click
it, wait for the list to load (may take a bit) and review what's there. Make
sure you scroll both ways, and remember you can change the widths of columns
using the column separators at top. The files involved with each item are at
far right.

I don't honestly know what to tell you to look for, nor do I know how to
export this particular list so that you can post it here if you want advice
on the various items. Worst case, copy the name of each item and the file
involved, and the Publisher if not Microsoft. In any case, disable ALL
add-ons and see if that stops the behavior. If it does, progressively
re-enable the list, one-by-one, until you peg the one involved. Leave it
disabled, enable the rest. Restart your machine and verify that the item did
not get re-enabled *or replaced*.

Not sure this is the direction you should be taking, but this is definitely
something to rule out.

--

> ok it is Iexplorer that opens pictures in the title bar when I open a
> picture
> it shows the path of the picture like C:/ My documents/pictures .... with
> little iexplorer thump before the path, & in the address bar it is the
> same
> thing without the iexplorer symbol, the iexplorer that I use is
> 6.0.2800.1106, I useually keep up to date on windows update, I scanned for
> viruses with Norton anty virus, I use Adware SE, & Spybot & they all find
> nothing the assosiation for jpeg is Iexplorer
> I did a search for Static in Google & didnot find anything to help me or
> anything I could make sence with.
> I instaled Wintop & run the program & believe it or not when Static is
> running it does not show up in the list of running processes
> "Franc Zabkar" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:43:01 -0700, Strongest
>> <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
>> composed:
>>
>> >My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from
>> >folders,
>> >If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing that
>> >is
>> >STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next
>> >picture
>> >is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running again,
>> >does
>> >anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes it, I
>> >do a
>> >search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for your
>> >help
>> >in advance.
>>
>> Install Wintop from the Windows 95 Kernel PowerToys:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...
>>
>> What does Wintop tell you about the running process? BTW, the
>> PowerToys work just fine in Windows 98.
>>

>> -- Franc Zabkar
>>
>> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:24:36 PM

Normally, Wintop, DrWatson, & MSInfo32 will show ALL tasks that are
running. Right now, they each show I have 39 tasks running, including
themselves. They can be sorted only in DrWatson, by clicking the
"Program" header. They can be copied to post only in...

"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks". Use
the EDIT menu to copy the list.

"START button, Run, DRWATSON"; now, D-Clk it's button in the Tray.

What diagnosis is on the first tab? Copy/paste it's contents,
using the menu. Close DrWatson, but leave it in the Tray. It sits
waiting for a crash, then traps it, putting info into the Diagnosis tab.
(a) "START, Find, F/F, DrWatson.exe". (Should be in "C:\Windows".)
(b) R-Clk it, point to "Send to" & click "Desktop (Create shortcut)".
(c) R-Clk the shortcut on the Desktop, & select "Cut".
(d) Open Explorer to "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"
(e) R-Clk in the R-Pane, & select "Paste".
Now, it will always boot to the Tray, waiting for a crash or a D-Clk.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275481
How to troubleshoot program faults with DrWatson

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Strongest" <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| ok it is Iexplorer that opens pictures in the title bar when I open a
picture
| it shows the path of the picture like C:/ My documents/pictures ....
with a
| little iexplorer thump before the path, & in the address bar it is the
same
| thing without the iexplorer symbol, the iexplorer that I use is
| 6.0.2800.1106, I useually keep up to date on windows update, I scanned
for
| viruses with Norton anty virus, I use Adware SE, & Spybot & they all
find
| nothing the assosiation for jpeg is Iexplorer
| I did a search for Static in Google & didnot find anything to help me
or
| anything I could make sence with.
| I instaled Wintop & run the program & believe it or not when Static is
| running it does not show up in the list of running processes
| "Franc Zabkar" wrote:
|
| > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:43:01 -0700, Strongest
| > <Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
| > composed:
| >
| > >My computer gets frozen or very leggy when I look at pictures from
folders,
| > >If I do a ctrl+alt+Delete to see what is running there is a thing
that is
| > >STATIC in the list so I end task on it & it goes away till the next
picture
| > >is opened up & I freeze up again & same thing STATIC is running
again, does
| > >anyone know what this is or the name of the program is that causes
it, I do a
| > >search for static in the computer & it finds nothing. thank you for
your help
| > >in advance.
| >
| > Install Wintop from the Windows 95 Kernel PowerToys:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...

| > What does Wintop tell you about the running process? BTW, the
| > PowerToys work just fine in Windows 98.
| >

| > -- Franc Zabkar
| >
| > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:31:02 PM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:23:57 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Based upon Hugh Candlin's observations, here's my revised response:

>My original reason for asking about IE is that when the symptoms you
>describe occur when you do something using IE, then a "plug-in" is usually
>involved. "Plug-ins" are little helper utilities that run inside IE, like
>Acrobat Reader and others. Sounds like that's what STATIC is.

Wintop will display the path, ie full filespec, for the process named
"STATIC".

-- Franc Zabkar

September 5, 2005 11:07:50 AM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 05:07:01 -0700, Strongest
<Strongest@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>ok it is Iexplorer that opens pictures in the title bar when I open a picture
>it shows the path of the picture like C:/ My documents/pictures .... with a
>little iexplorer thump before the path, & in the address bar it is the same
>thing without the iexplorer symbol, the iexplorer that I use is
>6.0.2800.1106, I useually keep up to date on windows update, I scanned for
>viruses with Norton anty virus, I use Adware SE, & Spybot & they all find
>nothing the assosiation for jpeg is Iexplorer
>I did a search for Static in Google & didnot find anything to help me or
>anything I could make sence with.
>I instaled Wintop & run the program & believe it or not when Static is
>running it does not show up in the list of running processes

Very strange. IME, if a process is visible in the Ctrl-Alt-Del window,
then it will also be visible in Wintop. If anything, Wintop often
shows processes that aren't visible in the Ctrl-Alt-Del window. Real
Player is an annoying example that comes to mind.

Perhaps Wintop is showing the file under another name? If you close
"static" in the Ctrl-Alt-Del window, does any wintop process stop
running?

-- Franc Zabkar

September 7, 2005 1:20:14 AM

> You need to take this issue to a dedicated malware forum. Because it is
> almost *certainly* malware, probably of the more nefarious type.
>
> http://aumha.net/
> http://www.castlecops.com

It could be something like I posted in my first reply to Strongest.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:20:15 AM

Yup, could be. However, the hide & seek nature suggests a rootkit, so it may
be a newer sumthinorother that bootstraps the keylogger your link discusses.
Which is why I suggested the other forums. Tracking down and getting rid of
a rootkit is difficult at best. Often impossible, in fact. Which is why I'd
like for some people who deal with these things all the time to take a
closer look.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

>> You need to take this issue to a dedicated malware forum. Because it is
>> almost *certainly* malware, probably of the more nefarious type.
>>
>> http://aumha.net/
>> http://www.castlecops.com
>

> It could be something like I posted in my first reply to Strongest.
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:35:42 PM

> Yup, could be. However, the hide & seek nature suggests a rootkit, so it may
> be a newer sumthinorother that bootstraps the keylogger your link discusses.
> Which is why I suggested the other forums. Tracking down and getting rid of
> a rootkit is difficult at best. Often impossible, in fact. Which is why I'd
> like for some people who deal with these things all the time to take a
> closer look.

Once again you give very sound advice.
!