Total freeze

Neal

Did not see this discussed, apologies if it was prior to what I could
download.

W98, 320MB, 667MHz. In varied and non-overlapping scenarios, I am using a
program when the computer suddenly and without warning freezes for an
indefinite period. Totally unresponsive. Ctrl-Alt-Delete has no effect.
Keystrokes which should restart do not work. My only recourse is a cold
reboot. Scandisk never shows errors.

Happens sporadically, but occured 3 times today. Hasn't been especially
problematic recently aside from today, but a few months ago it was
happening more.

Again, it has occured using different programs with or without other
things open in the bg, so am reasonably sure this is not caused by
installed software. Something running by default is probably at fault, but
what?

Questions:

1) What may be causing this? How do I troubleshoot?

2) Is there additional information which might narrow this down?

I'm completely stumped. Thanks for any assistance.

Neal <neal413@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Did not see this discussed, apologies if it was prior to what I could
> download.
>
> W98, 320MB, 667MHz. In varied and non-overlapping scenarios, I am
> using a program when the computer suddenly and without warning
> freezes for an indefinite period. Totally unresponsive.
> Ctrl-Alt-Delete has no effect. Keystrokes which should restart do not
> work. My only recourse is a cold reboot. Scandisk never shows errors.
>
> Happens sporadically, but occured 3 times today. Hasn't been
> especially problematic recently aside from today, but a few months
> ago it was happening more.
>
> Again, it has occured using different programs with or without other
> things open in the bg, so am reasonably sure this is not caused by
> installed software. Something running by default is probably at fault,
> but what?
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) What may be causing this? How do I troubleshoot?
>
> 2) Is there additional information which might narrow this down?
>
> I'm completely stumped. Thanks for any assistance.

It's a hardware problem. You can check your memory with for instance
memtest86 <www.memtest86.com>. When it's not your memory you can exchange
plugin cards.
I've had the same problem, but it seemed network related. I switched off
the onboard networkcard and plugged in another one, and the problem was
solved.