MS-DOS names for Kodak camera files

Some time I posted the following question to comp.os.msdos.misc but
received no response. Does anyone have any idea?

I have an MMC picture card in my Kodak camera. When the camera is
connected to my Win98SE box via USB, it is detected as drive G:.

A directory listing in a DOS box looks like this:

G:\>dir

Volume in drive G is ccd0b638
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0001
Directory of G:\

ccc7a8ee <DIR>
ccd3aa60 <DIR>
0 file(s) 0 bytes
2 dir(s) 503,988,224 bytes free

In Windows Explorer the drive properties are:

Drive label DX4530 Zoom Digital Camera
File System FAT

There are two folders in the root directory:

Windows name MS-DOS name
----------------------------------
G:\Internal Memory ccd3aa60
G:\Picture Card ccc7a8ee

After I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, the MS-DOS names
change:

Windows name MS-DOS name
----------------------------------
G:\Internal Memory ccd0dcb1
G:\Picture Card ccd38dac

Why aren't the MS-DOS names Intern~1 and Pictur~1 ?
Why do they change?

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote:

>Why aren't the MS-DOS names Intern~1 and Pictur~1 ?
>Why do they change?

I can think of two possibilities:

A) This camera is using an explorer extension to present you with the right
names. On a second thought, I think this is unlikely. Have you had to install
a driver to enable this functionality?

B) The long and short filenames are ultimatively not bound to each other.
Although it is pretty non-standard to ignore the common convention, it could
well be possible that this camera does.

--
Wolfgang Fellger

Franc Zabkar <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in

> Some time I posted the following question to comp.os.msdos.misc but
> received no response. Does anyone have any idea?
>

> I have an MMC picture card in my Kodak camera. When the camera is
> connected to my Win98SE box via USB, it is detected as drive G:.
>
> A directory listing in a DOS box looks like this:

> G:\>dir
>
> Volume in drive G is ccd0b638
> Volume Serial Number is 0000-0001
> Directory of G:\
>
> ccc7a8ee <DIR>
> ccd3aa60 <DIR>
> 0 file(s) 0 bytes
> 2 dir(s) 503,988,224 bytes free
>
> In Windows Explorer the drive properties are:
>
> Drive label DX4530 Zoom Digital Camera
> File System FAT
>
> There are two folders in the root directory:
>
> Windows name MS-DOS name
> ----------------------------------
> G:\Internal Memory ccd3aa60
> G:\Picture Card ccc7a8ee
>
> After I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, the MS-DOS names
> change:
>
> Windows name MS-DOS name
> ----------------------------------
> G:\Internal Memory ccd0dcb1
> G:\Picture Card ccd38dac
>
> Why aren't the MS-DOS names Intern~1 and Pictur~1 ?
> Why do they change?
>

> -- Franc Zabkar
>
> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

On a VFAT drive the windows (long) filename and the msdos filename are
stored seperately. With a diskeditor you can change them, and so get
different names for windows and dos. So the reason that you can predict a
short name from a long name, is that windows has the dicipline to create
a short name in a predictable way, each time you create a new file (or
rename one).

Your camera behaves like a virtual drive. It can show 2 distinguished
memory blocks as subdirectories. So there's some software inside which
generates a (virtual) rootdirectory for the connected computer. I suppose
the long filenames are hardcoded in this software, and the short
filenames are generated randomly, each time you connect. Maybe the camera
even doesn't provide short names so windows has to generate them.

On 03 Sep 2005 10:30:46 GMT, "Wolfgang Fellger" <wfnews@web.de> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>
>>Why aren't the MS-DOS names Intern~1 and Pictur~1 ?
>>Why do they change?
>
>I can think of two possibilities:
>
>A) This camera is using an explorer extension to present you with the right
> names. On a second thought, I think this is unlikely. Have you had to install
> a driver to enable this functionality?

I launch kodakccs.exe on demand. Nothing else. I don't use Easyshare
which is Kodak's bundled app for viewing and data transfer. Instead I
use Explorer to transfer images.