Problems with DRM with .wma songs

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 3, 2005 9:44:10 PM

Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
..wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
the licence which are as follows :

1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
3) This file can be burned 3 more times
4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up

So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
at the same time.

Any help is much appreciated

More about : problems drm wma songs

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:34:08 AM

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
> .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
> to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
> the licence which are as follows :
>
> 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
> 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
> 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
> 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
> 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
>
> So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
> software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
> i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
> it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
> car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
> protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
> at the same time.
>
> Any help is much appreciated

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:34:09 AM

Brian A. wrote:
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
>> .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
>> to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
>> the licence which are as follows :
>>
>> 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
>> 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
>> 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
>> 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
>> 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
>>
>> So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
>> software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
>> i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
>> it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
>> car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
>> protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
>> at the same time.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated

My suggestion is to avoid WMP (and all its bullshit), and use an
alternative, more open ended, format. End of story.
September 4, 2005 2:28:52 AM

Brian A. wrote:
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
> > .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
> > to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
> > the licence which are as follows :
> >
> > 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
> > 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
> > 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
> > 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
> > 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
> >
> > So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
> > software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
> > i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
> > it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
> > car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
> > protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
> > at the same time.
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated

So instead of helping me you just tell me what i already knew.. i had
no choice, didnt know the songs were wma format until i DL'd them. So
now that they are .wma what can i do to remove the protection, or just
to burn them. This time plz dont waste my time, actually give me a
helpful answer.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:44:33 AM

Brian didn't post anything at all. It was a mistake. He sent a message that
only included your quoted message. Everything in there was a copy of your
original post except his standard, automatic signature and the content that
is automatically added to all replies by his newsreader.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> So instead of helping me you just tell me what i already knew.. i had
> no choice, didnt know the songs were wma format until i DL'd them. So
> now that they are .wma what can i do to remove the protection, or just
> to burn them. This time plz dont waste my time, actually give me a
> helpful answer.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:13:24 AM

I couldn't have said it in a more concise manner myself, Brian..... ;-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
> > .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
> > to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
> > the licence which are as follows :
> >
> > 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
> > 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
> > 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
> > 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
> > 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
> >
> > So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
> > software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
> > i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
> > it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
> > car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
> > protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
> > at the same time.
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:36:28 AM

masterexodus wrote:
> Brian A. wrote:
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>
>> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
>>> .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
>>> to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
>>> the licence which are as follows :
>>>
>>> 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
>>> 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
>>> 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
>>> 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
>>> 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
>>>
>>> So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
>>> software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
>>> i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
>>> it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
>>> car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
>>> protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
>>> at the same time.
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated
>>>
> So instead of helping me you just tell me what i already knew.. i had
> no choice, didnt know the songs were wma format until i DL'd them. So
> now that they are .wma what can i do to remove the protection, or just
> to burn them. This time plz dont waste my time, actually give me a
> helpful answer.

Maybe next time you should do a little more research on your own???
If you feel your "valuable" time is being so wasted here, you know where the
door is.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:43:11 AM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> masterexodus wrote:
> > Brian A. wrote:
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >>
> >> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > So instead of helping me you just tell me what i already knew.. i had
> > no choice, didnt know the songs were wma format until i DL'd them. So
> > now that they are .wma what can i do to remove the protection, or just
> > to burn them. This time plz dont waste my time, actually give me a
> > helpful answer.
>
> Maybe next time you should do a little more research on your own???
> If you feel your "valuable" time is being so wasted here, you know where the
> door is.

ya know i tried to be nice i asked a honest question and got no
responce... so if this is how im going to be treated to hell with ya i
dont need this.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:10:47 PM

masterexodus wrote:
> Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
> .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
> to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
> the licence which are as follows :
>
> 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
> 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
> 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
> 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
> 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
>
> So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
> software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
> i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
> it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
> car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
> protection ?

Change them to MP3.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
September 4, 2005 2:24:53 PM

If anyone here knew the answer, they'd answer. Apparently, nobody does. But
you lashed out in an entirely unwarranted manner in your previous post. I
explained that your anger was misplaced, and in fact, your own reporting of
the issue is shown to be rather sloppy.

You asked a rather intricate question about DRM, etc., a technology that
came out *long* after Windows 98. Why are you asking about WMP 10 and DRM in
a Windows 98 newsgroup, anyway? I would presume that it's because we have a
reputation for getting things done without a lot of trolling, garbage
answers from people who know nothing, etc., or maybe you're just comfortable
here. But I'm surprised WMP 10 even *installed* to Win98.

You've gotten some snotty answers to your snotty response to Brian. That
response showed the you, yourself, aren't paying very close attention to
your own issue. Didn't even get the filename right. So, please, calm down,
pay attention, get your facts right and practice a little humility. You
re asking for help from people who are mostly professionals and volunteer
majors amounts of time to assist others for *free*. It's not our fault that
you,

1. Got the question wrong.
2. Posted to an inappropriate NG (though we do try)
3. Failed to read the first response carefully and posted a snotty reply
based upon nonsense.

If you can't adopt an appropriate attitude and pay closer attention to
detail, yes, please do go somewhere else.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Maybe next time you should do a little more research on your own???
>> If you feel your "valuable" time is being so wasted here, you know where
>> the
>> door is.
>
> ya know i tried to be nice i asked a honest question and got no
> responce... so if this is how im going to be treated to hell with ya i
> dont need this.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:38:32 PM

Brian A. is a man of the fewest words I've ever seen that time. In fact,
some of MINE are missing now after reading his post!

--
Thanks or Good,
There may humor in this post,
| I couldn't have said it in a more concise manner myself, Brian.....
;-)
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| >

| > --
| >
| > Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
| >
| > Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| >

| > "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > > Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they
are
| > > .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the
licence
| > > to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the
restrictions by
| > > the licence which are as follows :
| > >
| > > 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
| > > 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
| > > 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
| > > 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
| > > 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
| > >
| > > So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any
other
| > > software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ...
and
| > > i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i
use
| > > it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play
in my
| > > car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
| > > protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record
song
| > > at the same time.
| > >
| > > Any help is much appreciated

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:45:04 PM

Terhune is right about the matter of your post (there ain't no WMP 10
here in Win98) & Brian A. (anyone can hit the Send button accidentally).

I think I'll go with Colorado for the rest.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
| .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
| to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
| the licence which are as follows :
|
| 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
| 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
| 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
| 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
| 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
|
| So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
| software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
| i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
| it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
| car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
| protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
| at the same time.
|
| Any help is much appreciated

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:45:05 PM

PCR wrote:
> Terhune is right about the matter of your post (there ain't no WMP 10
> here in Win98) & Brian A. (anyone can hit the Send button accidentally).
>
> I think I'll go with Colorado for the rest.

LOL. Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for THIS newage world. :-)

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok so i downloaded a couple songs that i bought *gasp* and they are
>> .wma format... and to make matters worse i had to download the licence
>> to play them in WMP... what really chaps my ass is the restrictions by
>> the licence which are as follows :
>>
>> 1) This file can be played an unlimited number of times
>> 2) Collaborative play for this file not allowed
>> 3) This file can be burned 3 more times
>> 4) This file can be synchronized 3 more times.
>> 5) The licence for this file cannot be backed up
>>
>> So.... it says i CAN burn it but using WMP (version 10) or any other
>> software says i cannot due to the licence restrictions (weird) ... and
>> i really dont have a problem with using WMP to play them because i use
>> it anyway but i would like to burn a copy of these songs to play in my
>> car. So any ideas ? suggestions ? Is there a way to remove this
>> protection ? Other then using your sound card to play and record song
>> at the same time.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:51:53 PM

"masterexodus" <MasterExodus@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Brian A. wrote:
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> So instead of helping me you just tell me what i already knew.. i had
> no choice, didnt know the songs were wma format until i DL'd them. So
> now that they are .wma what can i do to remove the protection, or just
> to burn them. This time plz dont waste my time, actually give me a
> helpful answer.

I realize your frustration, yet please look at my original response which by
the way, was sent in error. It has no response. I did not tell you what you
already knew, you did by reading your OP included.

The fact that you feel your time was wasted is on you, not me. The facts are:

You're lucky WMP even runs on your machine.
WMP must recognize the license for the downloads before it will even play the
songs, let alone burn them.
You can't remove the license and AFAIK, it can only be downloaded 10 times
before you have to purchase a new one.
This is not a WMP ng or a burning ng.
This is not where you downloaded/paid for your songs/license.

I had searched the net and found a few possible sites that may help and where
you may feel they won't waste your time. This will be the extent of any help
from me, starting with:

Ask the support team from where you purchased the music/license.

Updating WMP security if you need to:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivi...

Some points of interest in this thread:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/193508

You may even want to register with them and start a thread for help.

"Licenses for your media files are corrupted" or "License is either corrupted or
not valid" error message when you try to play licensed media files
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810422

Check the resources on bottom left:
https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/def...

Hope some of this helps, doesn't waste your precious time and sincerely, Good
Luck.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
September 5, 2005 2:32:07 PM

The alternative to growing old is usually worse. Someone once posted a
quote of Churchill's that said so!

--
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > Terhune is right about the matter of your post (there ain't no WMP
10
| > here in Win98) & Brian A. (anyone can hit the Send button
accidentally).

| > I think I'll go with Colorado for the rest.
|
| LOL. Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for THIS newage world.
:-)

!